/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% --help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Previous thread:

Attached: 1549950228903.png (426x364, 50K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9KAp_zWeI34
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

How do i prevent firefox from using hwaccel for the gui elements but still allow it to use hwaccel for video playback?

Has anyone ever written a script to make canned edits to config files? How'd you do it?

Like, yeah, I could bang something out in sed, but I want to make sure that its resilient to other changes in the file its modifying, and I'm curious if there's a better way I'm overlooking.

hey, it could also be /sqg/
I have a work pc, prebuilt from HP.
It has an SSD and an HDD.
SSD runs windows 10.
on the HDD i successfully installed Debian few months ago, but now I want to try Manjaro.
The computer is HP and it has HP UEFI
>pic related
I installed the Manjaro successfully, i chose full disk (the hdd so its /dev/sda/) and i chose the Master Boot Record there on /dev/sda during the install.
However, computer still boots into windows.
Not sure how to configure the legacy/secure boot setup, if this "fast boot" also plays a role etc etc.
However I changed and however it appears in HPs uefis boot menu, it doesnt boot and switches onto next bootable thing from the ordered list, hence windows.

However, when my colleague lended me his usb with some grub test tool, it showed the manjaro in its interface as a bootable system and when i clicked on it (while live booted into this test program) it showed some error in some file called "grubenv" but after that, it booted into installed manjaro.

I tried update-grub and no result.
PLS i really dont want to use windows disk anymore

Attached: c05869163.jpg (515x308, 26K)

Faggot tranny with your programming socks. You will never pass as a woman.

fuck me,running void linux headphones decided to not work.
speakers work fine, when I plug in headphones they are not detected or something.
pavucontrol only shows me speakers as an option. This happened after booting into windows partition. I'm at a loss. no common google answer has worked.
uninstalled, and re installed pulseaudio to see what would happen.
headphones worked like a charm on install, but now I only get laptop speakers. what bullshit.

ran shutown instead of reboot... fixed.

guise I want a sound effect to play every time I delete a file, how can i do this on kde?

Attached: 421.png (334x334, 34K)

Just loop the sound effect 24/7 so whenever you delete a file it's guaranteed to play

BASED

#!/bin/sh

inotifywait -r -m -e delete --format %w ~ | while read -r file; do
# Or something else which will play audio
paplay some-file
done
Depending on how many files you have under ~, it may take a while for the command to start listening.

>--format %w
Actually, you don't need that bit. I just had that there to test the script.

wait, it's that easy to use inotify in scripts?
i'm sure i can think of a bunch of things i could do with that...

entr > inotifywait

ahem.

Attached: Void_Linux_logo.svg.png (250x206, 11K)

shit distro tbqh

How did you get firefox to use hwaccel for video playback? I thought it's disabled at compile time.

redpill us on why

fuck off luke

How do I change dpi/ppi settings for ubuntu 18.04 ?
I have a 13" screen with a 1080p resolution.

i don't know who luke is but inotifywait's cli is clumsy and entr's is actually usable

just tested that script, it plays the .ogg I set for it three to five times but only when I close/save/open files, thx for the keks

faglet, hehe

nice try luke
youtube.com/watch?v=9KAp_zWeI34

which is not fag enough
faggot, hehe

>following youtubers

Attached: sorry.png (434x327, 32K)

Attached: 1549938445158.png (866x635, 236K)

>be youtuber

Attached: wojak.png (640x528, 116K)

Posting a duplicate from /sqt/

>69769138
>Could someone please help me out?
>It's probably a simple fix, but I need to install a driver for my wireless dongle,
I'm running fedora(which I'm unfamiliar with)
It's a DWA182C
>I just want to get my network connection working so I can upgrade and move on with my day.
>It's a fresh install
>at least it looks pretty, so far.

If you can point me in the right direction that's cool too, but I'm pretty amateur to this stuff. I've used ubuntu, but that's about the extent of my linux experience.

first result in google. Get the fuck out.

Why are you so hostile, you pbitch fuck?

that doesn't get old

Right having the package is one thing, but knowing how to use it is another, and I'm unfamiliar with how to use fedora. Before I can Google "how to use fedora" I need my wireless to work.
Is that so unreasonable?

what is the safest, most emergency way of starting up damaged gpu? it can display windows in recovery mode in low resolution , and grub in fullHD for some reason

>h-hey user, I...
>get out of my face and give the botnet some data
pretty npc

Check out minifree.

Occasionally, fa/g/lords will sperg out about which distro is truly superior—usually Arch due to its "minimalism", Debian due to its "stability", Ubuntu due to its "ease of use", et cetera. All more or less incorrect, of course; Arch's kernel has an allyesconfig which is unnecessary bloat and counterarguments its self-proclaimed DIY nature, Debian's main meme is being ancient as all hell, and Ubuntu's everything generally sucks—from apt and its ways of handling dependencies to the varied degrees of bloat you get upon a fresh install. Yes, that includes Server as well for the most part.

Attached: Fedora-logo.svg.png (2000x2000, 112K)

In comparison, Fedora is about as fresh as a distro can get. While there is certainly a good amount of pros in comparison to other distros and by itself, these are only a few that are considered integral to its out-of-the-box, comfortable enterprise experience.
>Just werks out of the box
>Systemd is implemented nicely you it doesn't bother me that much like other distros do
>Same for GNOME because GNOME is tied with systemd
>Same for SELinux which is known for making things don't work. Never had this problem on Fedora.
>Very fluid workflow
>It is intended to above-medium users(like sysadmins, programmers, powerusers etc.) and not linux newbies(doesn't mean it is hard to use) so it focuses more on polishing the distro and development tools rather than focusing making it "easier to use".
>The userland is 100% free software which is good, the main repo has strict licensing rules so only free software gets there, which is good, but it still has non-free firmware which is also good because not everyone has a libre computer.
>If you have a libre computer you can use Freed-ora which is a rpm package that replaces linux with linux-libre and removes any additional nonfree software.
>Packages are compiled with hardening options like position-independend-executable which makes Fedora very secure
>Base installation is not too bloat but not too unusable. Comes with the minimal amountnof right tools.
>Developers are actually either Redhat developers or profesional/advanced community developers and not careless basement autists or retarded SJW trannies that remove packages just because they have the word "boob" in it.
>Includes the latest technologies (like wayland) and implements them correctly which means you get a modern and stable distro.
>Packages in the repo are not ancient
>Has an installer like every binary distro should
>dnf is pretty good
>uses RPM which is a widely-use package manager both in free-software culture and industrial world

It's easy for SELinux to make things not just werk on Fedora. The default configuration is indeed well tested but as soon as you change things (or just fail to know the magic location with the magic invisible SELinux labels to put a certain thing) then things die mysteriously. Back when I used it setenforce 0 was the very first thing I did on a new install.

Also you say "fresh" and up-to-date, I say too much pointless churn.

I think SSL 1.0 is perfectly good, no need to update openssl.

>>dnf is pretty good
does it still sync the repositories annoyingly often when using the cli

don't do partial upgrades on arch
especially when it'll break pacman by updating wget

no, it uses a short lived cache

if you have backported security fixes for it then yes, it's perfectly fine to bother with major-version upgrades only once every several years or so. Debian, which you deride above, does that, as does Ubuntu LTS and the RHEL/CentOS releases that you're being a beta-tester for. Using a fast-moving distro, and I would definitely say that Fedora is one, is just going to extra trouble to see the numbers in your package manager go up faster.

Let's say there is a software that uses a library. This library adds a new feature which is far more flexible, quicker to use and less prone to bugs than an old api doing something similar. So the developer of the software decides to throw out all his old code using the old api and re-implements it in a clean, maintainable extensible way using the new feature.

Thanks to Debian, developers are not incentivized to do this and consequently we are stuck with software that is worse than on Windows/OSX/Andoid.

I installed it, and the 2 qt apps I use have font scaling problems.

>work out of the box
Work out of my ass.

which apps?

qbittorent and krita.

Or the developer is just distracted by the latest hot meme, and hyperactively searches for something, anything to do, since he'll be bored unless he's ripping out pieces of the software and changing them somehow.

Maybe the people using his library think its quite good enough thank you and don't see his new changes as being worth the trouble he's causing them, in forcing them to change their software to use his new API, when they'd rather be working on something else. Or when they'd rather be doing nothing at all and enjoying having working software. (The GTK2 -> GTK3 transition was a good example of this problem)

And of course all this so far has been from the developer's perspective. I as the user don't give half a rats ass about the internal implementation details of, oh, at least 98% of the packages on my system. For me its probably better if the dev either left well enough alone, or if he really wants the change badly enough, to not just throw shit out and start over, but add the new way, wait a substantial amount of time, deprecate the old way, wait another substantial amount of time, and only then throw it out. Fast changes not only cause problems for other devs, they can and do break things for me, the user. It's a feature, not a bug, that Debian maintainers insulate users from dealing with whatever crap upstream broke this week.

I don't know why you think that software in the Windows and Mac world is worth emulating, most of it is garbage, and hyperactive devs trying to chase it is a bad, not a good thing.

just installed krita, looks perfectly normal to me, by default. how are you trying to scale exactly?

Mind explaining the GTK transition to me?

What do? Selecting fix broken on the menu does nothing

Attached: synaptic.png (1920x1080, 1.8M)

They basically rewrote large parts of the toolkit in a completely backwards-incompatible way. There were significant API changes, the whole theming engine got thrown out and replaced (ask the ricing crowd and they'll bitch about it to this day), and in general they just told authors of other applications "Yeah, it'll be a lot of work to move to GTK3, deal with it". This is the reason a lot of projects didn't for a long time, especially since (I believe) most of the benefits of doing this weren't to the applications, but to the GTK devs.

as long as I'm on a soapbox there was a recent example of "upstream breaks shit" too. In kernel 4.19 they completely changed the internals of the block I/O layer (multiqueue), which the devs much liked since it was a much more flexible implementation and all. And it had a bug that corrupted some people's filesystems. Its intermittency meant it wasn't fixed until 4.19.8, nearly at 4.20. I didn't have to care since I was sitting on 4.9 LTS.

Japanese fonts seem to no longer work. This is weird because it was working just the other day.
Anyone might know a fix?

Attached: unknown.png (1858x146, 27K)

So the gtk thing actually went pretty well for large API changes, because they are stil released security updates for the gtk2 branch and anyone who didn't care about the new gtk3 features would just not use gtk3?

I mean, there are still gtk2 packages in most distributions.

You can try running these commands in order
Check for package updates while ignoring broken packages
sudo apt-get update –fix-missing

Configure any packages that have been downloaded but not been configured yet
sudo dpkg –configure -a

Try to fix broken dependencies by installing and/or removing packages.
sudo apt-get install -f

If you still get errors then somethings messed up that requires a manual solution to solve.

kind of a non-answer, but you should probably watch videos in mpv instead of your browser anyway. better performance, more features, works with pretty much any video URLs you'll find, including tweets. Being able to take scrots of youtube videos really easily is super nice.

So this is my network

ISP DHCP

Generally in my experience I just need a japanese font installed, and then anything that supports fallback fonts will just work. The main font you have set will cover the latin characters, and then for anything missing (e.g. japanese characters) it tries other fonts until something works, so it's usually enough to just have one installed. The only thing I know of that does not support fallback fonts is suckless terminal (st).

Can you disable the router function of your modem and just let your own router handle that part? I think you use PPPoE for this. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you mean by ISP DHCP, but to me I'm imagining your ISP-supplied modem is attached to your personal router and some things like DHCP are being handled twice unnecessarily.

I can't do that. Basically i live in an apartment building and when the internet came to town the ISP guy knocked on my door and was like
"Heres your ethernet cable, good luck son"
And that was it, i have no idea what is on the other end of that cable.

This is so retarded, why in gods name a router lets a DHCPDISCOVER go through from the LAN side to the WAN side.
Check if you can get an updated firmware or 3rd party firmware (dd-wrt/librewrt) for the router.

Hi guys, so I have about 1500 wav files in a folder. I want to create a way to listen to each wav and then press a number to send it to one of 10 folders. Is this something I could do with a bash script?

yes

here's an example
for i in *; do mpv "$i"; read -n 1 folder; echo mv "$i" $folder/; done
(for each file in the current dir, it will open it with mpv, then wait for one character, it will move the file to a folder with that name, so pressing "5" will move the file just played to the folder "5/", it doesn't create the folders, add mkdir if you want it to before the mv part)

I feel the need to distro hop to Devuan from Ubuntu on my main rig because of systemd locking up the system at idle times. Is it any good?

-- might want to change "*" to "*.wav", actually, unless you have the line make the folders, just realized making them ahead of time means the * will match them

ive been building systems with linux for 10 years making baller assmoney and i can't install archlinux onto a usb stick. can't do it, man. game over

Attached: d8c.png (657x527, 63K)

but the procedure is literally the same as installing arch onto an internal hdd/ssd
and i really do mean literally, as in, instead of working on say, "sda", if it's your internal drive, you work on like, "sdb" or whatever your usb drive is... that's it, that's the only difference

To add to the above comment, instead of using a device name in the fstab use the UUID, you get it by typoing
lsblk -f
with superuser permissions

yea and boy its tough. pacstrap fails for every conceivable reason, and can't be resumed because it leaves files and there's no pacstrap /mnt base --overwrite

ive been at it for hours

Attached: Shitposting at night.jpg (692x554, 62K)

outside of not having internet access, how has pacstrap failed?
>--overwrite
just erase the contents of /mnt before running it again

When I do...
find . -depth -name '*FLAC*' -type d -exec perl-rename 's/FLAC/OGG/g' '{}' \;
... it complains "directory not empty".

I just want to rename directories, why does it care about their content ? I hardly see what could be wrong with the command

Works well on empty folder structures

Attached: 34088_469913099895_616599895_6466054_6469726_n.jpg (506x600, 44K)

>outside of not having internet access

im in a second world developing country right on a state-owned 4G network. one of the mirrors isn't too bad but the others have to cross a submarine cable

it fails when downloading packages sometimes, fails when installing them sometimes, and it seems that the usb stick becomes unresponsive or something sometimes(?)

macbook pro, virtualbox, sony usb stick

i dunno maaaaaaaaaaaaaaan

Attached: Screenshot_11.png (412x336, 356K)

you might want to uncomment a few mirrors... pacman will try a failed download with another mirror automatically, which is as close to a resume as you can get afaik with pacstrap
alternatively, you can download the bootstrap rootfs and extract that into /mnt, which is basically a snapshot of what "pacstrap /mnt base" puts there
this way, you can chroot in, and have access to pacman itself, which you can retry as much as you like

interesting idea

looks like its favorite place to hang right now is on installing linux-firmware

Attached: 1543927778394.jpg (604x603, 47K)

to be clear, the bootstrap rootfs is a tar archive which you can find alongside downloads for the live iso
you can download it while in the live environment either directly using wget, or with a text browser

Attached: 2019-02-13-011740_625x453_scrot.png (625x453, 34K)

cheers guys! Very helpful.

damn why use pacstrap at all then?

i remember doing something like this to persist install backtrack 4. i just partitioned and then copied files

im going to let this sit for another 9 hours and then try doing that

Attached: 1526710775677.png (353x332, 89K)

pacstrap can save a bit of time, since it downloads and installs the latest versions directly
a bootstrap image might be slightly out of date, meaning you'll need to update a few things after using it, so you end up downloading more
the main use for the bootstrap archive is that you can use it to install arch from a linux environment besides the arch livecd

Dumb docker question- Is updating an image as simple as just pulling the image again and restarting the container?

Attached: VirtualBox_Arch Installer_12_02_2019_22_46_33.png (800x600, 30K)

something is wrong with sda
i can't vouch for the reliability of usb drives attached to virtualbox
i've used physical drives with vbox before, but only via vmdk files, not over usb, and they've only been reliable in linux for me. haven't tried with a macos host, but it does weird shit in windows hosts, and i don't trust it at all there anymore

I'm a tinfoiltard but only a bit, is me_cleaner enough or should I also go for coreboot?

What's the best lightweight browser if I want to keep a bunch of websites open in the background and I don't want it to start chugging ram?
No multimedia stuff just some js at most.

Attached: IMG-20190124-WA0000.jpg (900x1600, 148K)

posting my thread here for answers

How do I make firefox fonts look better (on fedora)?
I have firefox, opera and tor bundle (so a firefox flavor) and on firefox, fonts look disgusting.
Any idea?

I'll reply to my own question It looks like setting a minimal font size in firefox makes shitty rendering of some fonts, particularly remote fonts.

>He doesn't have an RSS feed combined with youtube-dl to automatically fetch the most recent big clive video

>can't even install kali properly
Just use a *buntu or fedora and read on the cli

What's the best Lean Eggs for me if I've been using Ubuntu for like 5 years and want to move away from it, but also not waste my time on learning the system for too long?

Attached: 1549911168288.png (600x600, 112K)

>mfw I use vim but only press hjkl in insert mode and can't type without looking at keyboard

Attached: d.jpg (604x453, 34K)

Anyone using Zathura? If so, how can you read the notes in pdfs sent by other people(that are using windows mostly likely)? I searched around and found nothing, in fact even evince, although it could it read the notes/annotations, the format and layout was all messed up. Only qpdfview worked well

How do I set up for a program to be run in a specific language every time it is opened?
Basically I've got documents and such which are encoded with Windows' cp1251 Cyrillic encoding and I'd like to be able to view them.
For example if I open the Mint text editor like this it works just fine
bg_BG.cp1251
I would rather not change system locales because I've had gnome-terminal fail to open, WPS office crashing as soon as it opens etc.
It's probably less error prone to just change the setting for the text editor if that's possible.

Oops didn't paste the whole command LANG=bg_BG.cp1251 xed

You should’ve installed it through uefi.

Try to avoid insert mode for a while. That teaches you the keys. And run vimtutor again and again till it actually bores you.

Surf.

I sometimes get the systemd message
"A stop job from UID 1000 is running [...] 2min"
and then I have to wait the full 2 minutes.
It doesn't tell me what unit/service is waiting for a stop.
How can I find out?

more like systemdelay XD