INSTALL GENTOO

What happend?
How do I fix it?

Attached: 2019-02-12 15.45.38.jpg (4000x3000, 2.08M)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Installation/Base
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Installation/System#Filesystem_information
askubuntu.com/questions/71332/kernel-panics-with-cannot-open-root-device-error-where-do-i-append-the-root
lukesmith.xyz/gentoo.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

can you read?

do (not) panic
1. put your livecd, boot up
2. follow steps until chroot
>wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Installation/Base
like mounting partitions and stuff then chroot

nice you're in your system again just like you were in the installation, now compile your kernel again, this time right you baka

This is how ot looks taking away some gadgets from the compiter before booting.

Attached: 2019-02-12 15.48.55.jpg (4000x3000, 1.25M)

its saying whats wrong. if you cant read then dont use gentoo

"Compile your kernel again" No please....

also make sure to edit your fstab file
>wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Installation/System#Filesystem_information

I'm not sure if you need to do this, again, chroot, check the fstab and if the kernel is compiled with the modules for the filesystem's you're using.

why would you install gentoo?

Im sure that my kernel has suport for msdos partitions (fat, fat 32...)

And ext4 (wh

nice, but,
you've written the fstab file right?
are you using LVM or/and encryption?

Can you post a pic of your fstab?

To use the only non-shit GNU distro.

>he fell for the gentoo meme
OH NONONONO

Not using LVM or encription

wait a second

Attached: 2019-02-12 16.11.21.jpg (4000x3000, 2.1M)

Just use genkernel to compile your kernel the first time around. It's easier to customize it from a working environemtn.

if you cant install gentoo then take a few steps back and install arch or ubuntu

you fucked up grub2-install

Im not using grub butefibootmgr

Did you install an initramfs? Had a similar problem once.

Yes, so...?

found your problem

Attached: 1539879732380.jpg (400x400, 97K)

Can I still install grub?

troll ?

I mean, should I delete efibootmrf files first?

try something like
/dev/sda2 /boot vfat noauto,noatime 1 2
/dev/sda3 none swap sw 0 0
/dev/sda4 / ext4 noatime 0 1
if not
emerge -avq genkernel & genkernel initramfs
(I belive that's the command)
yes of course, just clean your mess and emerge -avq grub

append kernel command line OP.
something like "root=PARTUUID= ... "

When I was configuring /etc/fstab I erased something line that, but I don'remember how it was

it's in your kernel config under the processor category. do a make menuconfig in /usr/src/linux from live cd, add kernel command line, save config, make && make modules_install, make install, redo your bootloader without fucking it up and you're done

thanks, I'll try

Install Windows 7

Where is kernel comand line?

Attached: 2019-02-12 16.50.34.jpg (4000x3000, 1.77M)

Ya know how to read, under processor type and features.

It was alredy check

Attached: 2019-02-12 17.04.24.jpg (4000x3000, 3.47M)

Imagine being this retarded. Just put in root=/dev/sda4 and rebuild it. Alternatively add that to the kernel arguments in your bootloader config.

this, OP. you have to tell the kernel which is the root partition with the command line string. the kernel command line option that was already activated just tells the kernel that the option is available

Like this?

Attached: 2019-02-12 17.22.41.jpg (4000x3000, 740K)

yeah and while you're in there look at the handbook and make sure you didn't miss any other required option. after you're finished with the kernel, follow the handbook and set up grub

Will it take to long?

However long it takes for you to compile grub and type a command to install it.

what is too long for you? grub doesn't take long to emerge on anything that's not a toaster. just do it and follow the handbook. your system won't boot without it

I was talking about this

Attached: 2019-02-12 17.36.54.jpg (3000x4000, 1.99M)

Put rootfstype=ext4 or whatever file system you use for the root partition to the kernel loading options in your grub.cfg.

10 minutes max

>that's not a toaster
I wish it was, It would be better

Attached: 2019-02-12 17.38.28.jpg (3000x4000, 1.03M)

root=/dev/sdx baka

This. More specifically:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="root=/dev/sd? rootfstype=ext4"

in /etc/default/grub then update grub.

What's /dev/fd?

Attached: 2019-02-12 17.55.15.jpg (4000x3000, 2.05M)

did u build ext4 support into the colonel or did you make and initrd image with the module in it?

floppy disk

floppy disk, duh

actually i googled it and it isn't that, lol

My computer doesn't have a floppy slot

I miss the REAL Jordan.

Colonel?

um if you don't know what that is, you should reconsider using Gentoo and maybe go with something a little simpler like Manjaro - I see you chose your language to be some spicanese already so you'd fit in nicely in Manjaro

google says it's the floppy device handler. what handbook are you reading OP?

I was using manjaro openrc for a long time, but I changed to windows hoping that dolphin-emulator would run better there (it didn't)

If is that what you are asking for, when compiling the kernel I checked with an *, not an M in ext4 support

that's good and what you should have done

now you need to make sure that you have support for your actual disk built in the kernel (with a (*))

I didn't check anything as a module, I never do, only what comes like that by default.

The official one from gentoo's website.

I looked more closely at your pic
askubuntu.com/questions/71332/kernel-panics-with-cannot-open-root-device-error-where-do-i-append-the-root

remember the initramfs

Do I need to compile drivers for my hard disk, is it that?

this confuses me. I installed gentoo tons of times and I never ran into a kernel panic but as soon as I saw this post it all made sense. also just use genkernel during the install and manualy compile it after a new kernel is released since everything is already set up for you. are you able to disable uefi because I highly recommend you to do that so setting up the bootloader would be very easy

I can, but Im using gptand I like UEFI

I did everything you told me except instaling grub2, cause now emerge doesn't work somehow ad now it just get freeze here.

Attached: 2019-02-12 18.33.46.jpg (4000x3000, 1.51M)

bootloaders are ez mode to set up regardless of uefi support. OP just needs to read the handbook in the grub2 article.

use the grub command from the wiki, OP. you might also need to use the command to send grub to /boot/efi instead of /boot, some motherboards require it. just start at the bootloader section in the handbook and read thoroughly

I forgot to mention that it's not just the bootloader. using legacy will garuntee everything would work flawlessly without the need of additional configuration. linux does support uefi well but no matter what legacy will always be the best choice imo

try sudo apt-get install gentoo
if that doesnt work try
desu apt-get install gentoo
and if that doesnt work
oh well it's back to ubuntu

LOL you got me there- for a minute I thought you were serious
radeon on a gentoo installation hahahahahahahahahahaha

RTFM

Im serius, maybe Im too stupid, but Im serious. I have an AMD GPU, so I thought it was a good idea to enable something somewhere in the kernel's .config.

Well google also says you should use Google Chrome as a web browser...

You shouldn't believe everything on the Internet.

please tell me what you think it is ultimate IQ user

I've got no idea of the conversation, I guess it's gentoo being his gentoo
Not even hatin', bro

useful dump:
>lukesmith.xyz/gentoo.html
a really good post on the luke old forum, focused on a gentoo encrypted install for thinkpad **20 series, + the handbook should do the job for the lurkers who wants to install gentoo

You can just use your old kernel config, make changes, and recompile. Compiling Linux really doesn't take that long.

Why would anyone use this instead of the actual handbook which explains what's happening at each step?