Protip: Emacs is just the modern day Visual Studio Code

Protip: Emacs is just the modern day Visual Studio Code.

Prove me wrong.

Attached: emacs.png (2000x2000, 371K)

Other urls found in this thread:

informatimago.com/linux/emacs-on-user-mode-linux.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>don't use 2gigs of ram
>older than VSCode
>???????

I USE VIM.... .....

Me too! Do you close your terminal by clicking on little X or Alt+f4? I wish they implemented an easier way to quit vim!

I don't have a need for emacs but I'm positive it's one of the few GNU applications that isn't garbage

Why are you seething?

>emacs
>modern day
ok

Cause I've got some time to spare and am not in the mood of reading books.

Visual Studio code is Emacs without the bad parts. Emacs isn't fit for programming because you can't universally force tabbing.

I don't have the time to learn a text editor . I'd rather just learn new things and building cool stuff. The inputting of code has never been the slow part of programming so I don't know why Jow Forums and many tech people obsess over text editors. Every time I sat down to learn one I just get distracted because I'd rather learn something actually important .

Spacemacs master race comin' through

Attached: spacemacs-python.png (1380x755, 170K)

You spelled SpaceVim wrong, lad.

>Emacs
that's not how you pronounce "Vim"

Emacs only pertains to power users who want to build their own IDE without building something from scratch. For the majority of people it's a waste of time and effort as mainstream IDEs cater to their workflow and activities.

Vim is the best text editor, it's not a great IDE for any language. Emacs is an awful text editor but can be a great IDE with time and effort.

It's not just a text editor. Emacs' greatest strength is the fact that it does much more than that: it's easily extendable to whatever you need so you will never leave it. It's a highly integrating development system.
Vim misses the point and only meme minimalists use it.

VSCode only includes a web browser.... Is not even close to Emacs in bloatness.

>Emacs
>bloated
>an electron fuckfest is less bloated
>features are bloat
Go back to cat-v and suckless.

>Emacs
>modern day
huh
I use doom btw

Attached: cacochan.png (288x168, 47K)

to exit insert mode "ctrl+c"
to save the file and exit vim "ZZ"
to close the terminal "ctrl+d"

EVERTHING else is HERESY

Attached: 1545170473670.png (720x547, 111K)

this is the good shit

Emacs is amazing
t.using emacs on a daily basis

based && redpilled

;q

A comparison so utterly retarded and steeped in ignorance, it deserves no serious response.

not using DOOM

>kys

>with time and effort
what's it like being unemployed?

When I log into my Xenix system with my 110 baud teletype, both vi
*and* Emacs are just too damn slow. They print useless messages like,
'C-h for help' and '"foo" File is read only'. So I use the editor
that doesn't waste my VALUABLE time.

Ed is the standard text editor.

And ed doesn't waste space on my Timex Sinclair. Of course, on the system *I* administrate, vi is symlinked to ed.
Emacs has been replaced by a shell script which 1) Generates a syslog
message at level LOG_EMERG; 2) reduces the user's disk quota by 100K;
and 3) RUNS ED!!!!!!

Let's look at a typical novice's session with the mighty ed:

golem> ed

?
help
?
?
?
quit
?
exit
?
bye
?
hello?
?
eat flaming death
?
^C
?
^C
?
^D
?

---
Note the consistent user interface and error reportage. Ed is
generous enough to flag errors, yet prudent enough not to overwhelm
the novice with verbosity.

Ed, the greatest WYGIWYG editor of all.

ED IS THE TRUE PATH TO NIRVANA! ED HAS BEEN THE CHOICE OF EDUCATED
AND IGNORANT ALIKE FOR CENTURIES! ED WILL NOT CORRUPT YOUR PRECIOUS
BODILY FLUIDS!! ED IS THE STANDARD TEXT EDITOR! ED MAKES THE SUN
SHINE AND THE BIRDS SING AND THE GRASS GREEN!!

When I use an editor, I don't want eight extra KILOBYTES of worthless
help screens and cursor positioning code! I just want an EDitor!!
Not a "viitor". Not a "emacsitor". Those aren't even WORDS!!!! ED!
ED! ED IS THE STANDARD!!!

When IBM, in its ever-present omnipotence, needed to base their
"edlin" on a UNIX standard, did they mimic vi? No. Emacs? Surely
you jest. They chose the most karmic editor of all. The standard.

Ed is for those who can *remember* what they are working on. If you
are an idiot, you should use Emacs. If you are an Emacs, you should
not be vi. If you use ED, you are on THE PATH TO REDEMPTION. THE
SO-CALLED "VISUAL" EDITORS HAVE BEEN PLACED HERE BY ED TO TEMPT THE
FAITHLESS. DO NOT GIVE IN!!! THE MIGHTY ED HAS SPOKEN!!!

?

take your meds son

no... visual studio code is the modern day visual studio code.

OK
Why would I want to spend time learning it to spend time extending it when I could just directly work on what I want to work on on a good enough modern ide.

Text editors seem like the University education of computer programs. Participating gives you the illusion of progress and self development but really you get nothing out of it when placed in a vacuum . It seems dangerous as you'd just spend all day configuring and tweaking rather than building or learning

GNUemacs was made by the man in the sticky, making it the official Jow Forums editor

Attached: stallman.jpg (724x1087, 64K)

this post makes literally no fucking sense in any way at all whatsoever

Tell me what modern ide has the ability to interconnect natively with a shell, web browser and reader without leaving the environment, and is also extremely portable and guaranteed to work across systems?

It's funny how retards think "how do you exit vim" is a legitimate criticism when all it really does is expose how retarded they are

if you have to use a fucking mouse at any point in the use of a text editor you haven't seen the light. all hail vi/emacs

>why would I want to spend time learning it to spend time extending it
>you get nothing out of it
uh, retarded much?
By extending Emacs you both
1. improve iteratively on a tool you use every day
2. learn Emacs Lisp, which is a full-fledged Lisp

But go complete more webshit starter tutorials if you think you gain more from that kek

In what world are tabs useful?

Have you ever had any issue with an IDE? Pet peeve? Missing feature? Bump in your workflow? When these things come up an Emacs user will write a little snippet and permanently improve their editor; an IDE user will let the issue slowly leech their time for all eternity.
That's not even to mention the possibility of learning Emacs lisp as a tool for doing any kind of programmatic modification of text.

Why do I want that
But it's only a tool every day because I keep iterating it. And what's the point of emacs lisp if the only real reason to use it is to extend emacs?
No I haven't because the input if code or its display has never ever been the hard part of programming .
As long as I can input text why does it matter?

You guys just talk about how beneficial emacs is but the benefits only exist because you're some reason trapped in this emacs ecosystem .

Those are neat little toy projects but as to being productive it seems like a waste of time.
Would I rather learn a text editor for the sole purpose of tweaking it (as you all have describes ) or would I rather go read up on esoteric computer science theory or the latest news in mathematical cryptography

Choice is clear. I don't see why wasting your time is to be glamor.

It was just a joke user
Don't take life too seriously

Been using emacs for 5 years but fucking hate it. Fucking single-threaded spaghetti code trash.

check emacs 26...

informatimago.com/linux/emacs-on-user-mode-linux.html

Attached: black-flag-of-emacs.png (442x274, 40K)

>emacs
>Visual Studio
Both muh bloat.

nihilism is retarded

you are a brainlet

you make it sound likes its an either/or situation. Why can't you learn both? Emacs Lisp is a pretty simple language, it doesn't take much of your time.

Just use notepad++, faggots

left vim for emacs only a few days ago, using evil. its super comfy but sometimes be overwhelming with the amount of stuff it can do

Great bait thread.

I use Emacs for C, magit, and as a terminal. For any other language I use Vscodium

This is the WHITE MANS approach

>cucking yourself
>white man's approach
it fits

Indeed it is, but one doesn't have to be butthurt because >muh editor

>pajeet OS
>pajeet IDE
>"white"

You may as well use ed you fucking JavaScript webdev pajeet India streetshitter fuck

doom is impossible to set up correctly and breaks if you breathe on it

70iq boomer tier: notepad++, brackets, kate, anything else that is just shit

pleb that don't know no better tier: sublime text, atom, netbeans, eclipse, code::blocks

very smart person tier: VSCode, intellij, emacs, vim, spacemacs, visual studio

I have a massive dick (9+ inches) tier: vscode/intellij with vim bindings

>Visual studio code
The telemetry shit electron it's bloatedness and Microsoft privacy statement of "we will share your data with law enforcement and partners if we have good faith in doing so" should have been enough but the fact that there are still people who use the literal virus packed proprietary binaries provided by MS makes me even more question my faith in humanity.

There is no reason in the universe to use vsc over any other editor since (say thanks MS) any decent editor now implements the language server protocol (where vsc gets its code intelligence from).

> a whole operating system is more bloated than a small fundamental particle
Did you know all the excess charge in earth only composes like 6 moles of electrons? 6 moles of water would weigh less than 100g. How is that bloat?

I don't really understand your dumb post, but emacs rocks. I've never used VSC because it's presumably some kind of microsoft garbage.

emacs is so cozy but I still can't make myself use it daily because I can't find the will to learn customizing it

Attached: i_am_become_bait.jpg (625x800, 80K)

anyone got a lightweight linux distro that boots to emacs?

So why don't you use a fucking Windows Notepad only, you can input code there just fine.

Literally would suffice for 99% of codemonkey hobbyists on this board

So that's how they memed about actual boomers in the 90s, huh?

Attached: temp3.png (381x353, 37K)

See