Stuck between choosing a few distros

I'm stuck choosing between the following distros. My only needs are to play a few games and browse the web, but I have some security in mind, primarily against remote exploits.

>Void
Pros:
-Runit is super-nice, really needed for this pc as it has to reboot a lot of times
-No bloat at all
-Libressl
Cons:
-Lack of documentation
-Forums are down
-Might be filled with bugs

>Fedora
Pretty much the opposite with Void described over, and I don't like systemD, even if I run a net-install. Firewall is on by default though. SELinux is enabled too, but I'm not sure how much it is needed, and to what extent you have to configure it to make it useful.
Apparmor is available for Void.

Or is there a better distro for what I need? CBA to get into Gentoo w/ runit, Arch-spinoffs without systemD don't seem to be any better than Void in any way. Has anyone been in a similar situation and tried guiX or NixOS?

And to follow up: Should I update my Void kernel to 4.20, or stick with the standard 4.19 provided by xbps-install -Syu?

Attached: download.png (247x204, 4K)

I'm running VOID rn and can confirm it is the comfy distro

Does the larbs script work on it

bump

I'm running void and the only issue is KDE doesn't work well on it (I think because askpects of it depend on systemd) but if you don't care about that and don't mind configuring a few things then go for void.
Yes, there is a lack of docs compared to a distro like arch or ubuntu or fedora and the domain for their forums got sold but much of the time you can use docs from other distros or just google it...
The Void Wiki has enough to get a stable system going, I would say.
Yes, it's becoming the new meme distro, but I dont think that title is unwarented.

Attached: void1.png (3840x2160, 151K)

>Might be filled with bugs
What makes you say that?

Kill yourself larbs faggot retard

I got an idea - shove a dartboard up your ass, make sure there's the name of about 10 distro's
written on the dartboard, now stick your head and one arm up your ass and throw a dart at the board - whichever name the dart is nearest to, choose that one.

install gentoo

I've run void as a daily driver since 2017ish. It's always been very stable, and my only 'complaint' is that the packages lack some binaries (I don't mind compiling from source so I'm never bereft of software I need)
I run void as it's in my opinion the most up-to-date and stable non-systemD distro, though I've heard good things about Devuan but I don't know if Devuan has LibreSSL by deafult
Runit as an init system is amazing and very quick, I like it a lot. (Lack of runit has stopped me from using Devuan more fully)
>documentation
The wiki has some Void specific things, but honestly the Arch or Gentoo wiki is sufficient for information about packages (though Arch presupposes systemD a lot).
The install guide on the void wiki is okay, and covers a lot of use cases (e.g., LUKS)
>forums
Yeah, no denying that. The fact the forums have been down so long is troubling. It's fairly embarrassing for the project, but apparently the IRC is good for quick one-offs (never been myself so take with a grain of salt)
>bugs
Those have been few and far between in my experience. Legitimate bugs were easily fixed by altering the template files to build from source using xbps-src if I needed it right away, or you can submit the changes to the void-packages repo yourself
>kernel
I'd keep back for now, but I'm fairly cautions about system upgrades like that
>fedora
As for fedora, If you just want to get a productive workstation that that's the best route. If you're a developer you want to have systemD to make sure your software plays nice as unfortunately it's the most common init system
>void is joy
All in all, there will be some things you have do do manually, but overall it's been a satisfying system that has brought me joy over the years

Attached: void-is-joy.png (584x439, 398K)

is void really that buggy? i tried moving to slackware but it is above my level and im currently on debian trying to get away from systemd

assuming bumblebee has no issues in void, i think i will move to void. the only packages i really want/need are texstudio, i3, and bumblebee with the proprietary driver.

Just use Debian.

Void wiki is being replaced by docs
Anyway if you need help just join the irc

I'm in a similar position, but I am looking at a stable distro for my T420. I am choosing between
Slackware
and
Gentoo
can anyone give me some thoughts and these two distros? My primary use cases will be editing and composing text, editing images, shitposting. I want my laptop to be as minimal as possible. I like writing on a typewriter as there are no distractions and want a similar experience. Was thinking of just some suckless and other necessities. I need a good DAW, has anyone used has anyone used Ardour, LMMS, Reaper or Bitwig? Also is it only PS wine and GIMP for image editing?
thanks for any feedback. cheers.

Attached: NIOCE.jpg (580x346, 43K)

Few maintainers, though it seems to become more popular

Would actually do it for the hell of it, but it seems to lack runit-packages, and too much hazzle to configure it out

I wanted to try Devuan but it's got a bad rep for being very outdated.

>I'd keep back for now, but I'm fairly cautions about system upgrades like that
Why? Please elaborate..

Do you know about an easy guide to build your own package from git?

Void is nice. Everything seems to be working well. I've been thinking of moving to Gentoo, but I have no reason to. Crux is a mess. Devuan seems unstable and reliant on what it's opposed to.

void bro here
>games
>web-browsan
might I recommend windows 7? It may have come with your computer and can do both of those things.

also, all your cons with void are memes. the only void-specific docs you need are on the wiki and it unironically just works. Watch out for xbps-source docs though, they suggest the old git-hub repo and not the new one (void-linux with a dash).
Fedora is a solid beginner distro though. If you already have a Gay-Men computer, you can deal with SystemBloat

debian has systemd.
this might not mean much to you, but to give you some context im completely new to linux and using debian, i know how to do very basic command line stuff, slackware came with wifi working out the box, but i didnt have a right click on my t440p and it seemed to complicated for me to install software. once again im a noob. i have nothing to say about gentoo because i havent tried it.

void is the most usable non-systemd distro for newbies. hands-down

you must be fucking with me. are you serious? i know its rolling release and all, but what if i just dont update

I don't follow. It may be rolling release but it just werks. Also updating is fun.
What I mean is:
>just werks
>boots fast
>comes with flavors (DEs)
>comfy ncurses installer, just partition your drive
>everything you NEED to do is simple and teaches you stuff in baby steps
>has p much any productivity software available (assuming you know that tlmgr handles texlive)
Really I don't know that it isn't you who's fucking with me? Why isn't Void user-friendly? Sure, it's no obongo, but still..

Forgot to ask: what's your alternative? Devuan? Gentoo? *BSD? Old shit still running sysV?

i do not know what tlmgr is, sorry my dislexia got the best of me, i thought you said it is unstable instead of usable. thanks, im sold gonna install it tonight.

im on debiani will install void tonight

Don't fall for the whole "distros are different" meme user. They're all pretty much the same, the only real difference is how much of a headache getting support will be.

So pretty much anything non-Debain-based is a fucking meme.

t. retard