Is it as bad a Jow Forums says it is?

Is it as bad a Jow Forums says it is?

Attached: B3EB5031-5826-40ED-ADF5-1F7F3E9584E1.png (1200x2195, 116K)

Why're you asking Jow Forums

Yes.

Is there anyone on g who thinks it’s good

here

For the stuff I use it for? Yes.

Me

It's verbose and not very elegant but gets the job done.

>yfw Stallman though Java was quite elegant

Only good for Pajeets

Attached: 1549755547828.png (500x750, 347K)

Yeah me.
It's good for large software.
>inb4 pajets
The only people that hate Java are retard that rice i3 on Arch all day and have no will and/or intelectual capacity to get a job

People who hate it are the same folks who do all their development in vim. Using an IDE or good text editor you will find it very pleasant.
I'll concede that it is overly verbose and a little dated in its design, but it is very predictable and idiot-proof. Java applications are very fast considering how easy they are to write.
If I were writing a new desktop app where performance was important then Java would be my first choice. If performance wasn't a factor I'd go for Python though.

Attached: 1438986038677.jpg (545x365, 49K)

Better than Electron for cross platform applications
JVM is actually a great & mature piece of tech, can use other languages with it too

It's cool, good for modding games, like Slay the Spire, Minecraft etc. But I'm not an elitist arch user so my opinion doesn't matter.

Attached: 1528825159720.jpg (690x720, 77K)

Yeah, I like it.

JVM is an ossified, mature piece of shit. Sure, it can run everywhere but so can any decent native lang especially considering that the JVM is written in C++.
There is also no benefit in using libs written in other JVM langs because you have to worry about shitty interop rules like those in kotlin and scala when calling to Java. Of course, there are people who expose the API as a Java lib but impl in another lang but that just negates the purpose of this interop because you can do this shit in any native lang with extern C with much less effort.
Also, there are more useful native libs than useful JVM libs and node modules combined. After all, the latter depends on the former to function and do the basic of tasks.

I don't doubt that you have touched on real issues with the JVM there but for most people it does just work. I've personally never had an issue with using Java/Kotlin library interoperability while doing Android development.
I'm not convinced glueing in extern C is a better solution than exposing the JVM API. That just sounds like more unnecessary moving parts.

I heard C# is a healthy alternative, can you Java monkeys prove it wrong?

C# is better than Java in many ways. If they were both penknives then it would have a larger set of utilities. I personally don't like it very much because I prefer to develop on Linux and the dotnet tech stack is very windows oriented despite the fact that dotnet-core is now open source. Xamarin have a more 'foss' version dotnet called mono but it's a little janky in my experience (and xamarin is also owned by MS).

swift is where it's at. i mean if you're into NS propaganda at least.

You can code and deploy apps to Windows, Linux, Mac and arm with net.core now

No. It's worse.

.net core does not have all the libraries of .net framework yet.

It's boring to program with, but it's useful.

Lisp: functional
C: procedural
Java: object oriented
It's a brand

It's great

>c++
>clean and beautiful
Literally a language for people who take dick up the ass

no

Forget about C#. The JVM ecosystem is better than .net anyway and if you're so worried about the language itself, you can use Kotlin which is better than both C# and Java.

Yeah, people can exploit it really easily. That's why it's getting phased out I think.

Java itself is not bad however the endless amount of vulnerabilities, terrible software written in it and the inherent lazyness of the average Java coder give it a bad rap

what the fuck are you talking about? The JVM is still a million times safer than node.js
>vulerabilites
you people don't even know what you're talking about or you're stuck in the early 2000s. Applets are dead.

>Applets are dead
Reality won't change if you ignore or lie about it.

What? Java applets are OFFICIALLY dead.

It has been on a steep curve of improvement the last couple of years. Even I can appreciate this, despite being a junior dev. In practice, however, "the Java industry" is plagued by various trappings of OOP and related ideologies/paradigms.

I work with Java. Our company has a legacy ass system that used an applet to do windows remote desktop from the browser.
All I can say is that we no longer advertise that feature.
Apets are as dead as it gets.

WTF annon, applets are deprecated since idk, fucking YEARS ago.

Currently working as a de-facto sysadmin/dev helper for a Java web application project. We are struggling because the complex Java EE environment breaks all the time. We switched application servers multiple times because all of them have an extensive list of shortcomings that are impossible to work around, or somethinf just doesn't work. Usually there's some missing obscure dependency somewhere that I never heard of that's documented nowhere, or the management utilities throw errors that supposedly nobody else ever encountered even though the application server has been freshly reinstalled. The JVM STILL doesn't support AES256 for TLS unless you add some meme crypto extensions. JTA is a mess and randomly decides to not execute update or insert statements. Java SE may be fine, but if you know the horrors of Android development, EE is much worse by itself already and lacks the error documentation you get with Android.

Nope. It is quite good.

>inb4 poo

Hat's off to you, I mainly used it in uni and work with Django at the moment so I'm not an expert by any means.

I think Java is nice but the jobs for it looks absolutely dreadful, like pajeet-tier trash even if they pay well in my area.

My main interest is graphics and Java surprisingly has a lot of nice libraries for it but I just do C++/C# like everyone else because I don't want to get labeled as a Java dev when I get out of uni.

> People who hate java hate oracle
> People who hate java hate java applets as an alternative to flash
> People who hate java hate that it's best written with an IDE although they have a text editor with 500 plugins
> People who hate java hate that it used to be slow
> People who hate java hate that it made mistakes with how it does null
> People who hate java hate oracle and their new shitty per-core licensing model
> People who hate java hate that they don't understand why the complexity of spring with a million filters and some monstrosity built from hibernate, liquibase and a custom jdbc driver is necessary in the real world
> People who hate java come from something like redux and bang on about state management whilst forgetting that node is literal cancer

The people that hate Java don't actually hate the language

Except C# programmers who are the only people that have legit valid criticisms

import java.util.Scanner;
import java.util.Random;

class Main {

void make(char[][] v){
for(int i = 0; i < v.length; i++)
for(int j = 0; j < v[i].length; j++)
v[i][j] = 'O';
}

void current(char[][] v) {
for(int i = 0; i < v.length; i++){
System.out.print(" ");
for(int j = 0; j < v[i].length; j++){
System.out.print(v[i][j] + " ");
}
System.out.println("\n");
}
}
public static void main(String[] args){
Scanner sc = new Scanner(System.in);
Main o = new Main();
Random rand = new Random();

char[][] v = new char[5][5];

int x, y, xPos, yPos, life;
boolean win = false;
System.out.println("Welcome to Battleship!");
o.make(v);
o.current(v);

x = rand.nextInt(5);
y = rand.nextInt(5);
life = 0;

//System.out.println(x+" "+ y);

while(life < 3 && win == false){
do {
System.out.print("x: ");
xPos = sc.nextInt();
System.out.print("y: ");
yPos = sc.nextInt();
} while(xPos > 5 || yPos > 5);

xPos -= 1;
yPos -= 1;

if(xPos == x && yPos == y){
v[x][y] = 'W';
System.out.println("\nYou've Won!");
win = true;
}
else {
v[xPos][yPos] = 'X';
}

o.current(v);
life++;
}
}
}

>In practice, however, "the Java industry" is plagued by various trappings of OOP and related ideologies/paradigms.
To be fair, it was written OOPs first.

Same can be said about every language. How are you sure that the library you're using does not impose a critical vulnerability in your project?

>c
>designed
Toppest of keks.

Open a file and read from it.

Its for developers who like to make actually money

Even oracle is about to make it officially kill

doubt.jpg

Every language has an open "standard" which it's supposed to comply to. Internals, on the other hand, are up to implementations.

In current case, only oracle java may be dead. Even without oracle, we still have open jdk, which is still owned by oracle, IBM and HP java implementations. Someone probably will continue working on it, since there are entire foundations built on it.

Hell, twitter runs on java/scala. All the big players have it in their codebases. The only problem we will see is oracle trying to shit into everyone's cereal, just like they tried to shit in google's when they open sourced android's SDK and source.

My money is on google continuing work on java.

it's good if you like writing bloated and slow programs with a fuckton of pervasive state.

not for everything, but yes. there are places where java is faster than C/C++ (specifically, safe lock free concurrent data structures), just as there are places where C/C++ is faster or better suited.

it is widely used and developed further since the 90s for a reason. if you have to ask Jow Forums about you know nothing about programming languages. if you are interested in language design you should read some books about the topic instead of asking a bunch of autists on a taiwanese goat fucker board.

It's not bad at all, actually it's very good, unfortunately it has a really bad rap

I think it's good, Java is elegant

There is a graduate opportunity I am going for that uses Java.
Should I even bother going to the assessment day or continue being a store clerk?
I don't even want to be a software developer tbqh but it would pay better than mopping floors, packing bags, stacking shelves etc.

yes