Want to rename file

Want to rename file
Command is called move
fuck you GNU fuck you in yr fucking ass

Attached: lolcats-funny-pictures-questionmark.jpg (400x300, 14K)

Other urls found in this thread:

man7.org/linux/man-pages/man1/rename.1.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

There's literally no difference between moving and renaming a file. Why would you need two commands when one will do?

mv original.txt urafaggot.txt

> stay mad kid.

Theres a command called rename

rm -R /

Heres why

Attached: 8e7.png (1024x1024, 74K)

my guess is move is correct and that is related to how the file system operates

>imbailin it's gnu that made this shit up

Ah I see yr "cute" little attempt to have me force remove all my files including root didn't work again. You thought it was funny, but now yr going to pay the price goddammit. I'll have you know that I have been hacking since 6 months old on an IBM pc, I only code in machine code and assembly, and I have personally coded over 150 GNU/Linux distros.

most linux distributions have a rename command which is much more powerful than simply renaming a single file, rename can use regular expressions and a list of files to rename them all according to a rule you describe.

cat doesn't print cowsay equivalent with cat

alias rename=mv

brainlet pls go

it's the most retarded alias I've ever seen,
at least write is as a function with a guard for $# ne 1

gee, it's almost like i only spent 3 seconds engineering it

there's no such thing as a rename

>something something alqaeda something something you're fucking dead kid

You're not getting in my cab wet!

rename 'regex' filename
There is user, and it uses regexes

>people don't know that there is also a command called rename

>debian thingy
not standard

I have it on arch.

correct. when you rename in a file browser, you are moving
>/Documents/oldname.txt
to
>/Documents/newname.txt

OP is an idiot because the mv function does the exact same thing as if it was say rn (for rename)

>mv [oldname] [newname]
>rn [oldname] [newname]

OP is either a bait master or the biggest idiot on the planet

>part of util-linux
man7.org/linux/man-pages/man1/rename.1.html
>util-linux is a standard package distributed by the Linux Kernel Organization for use as part of the Linux operating system.

rename command is rm

Not quite; the rename program would likely refuse to move files across filesystem boundaries, just like the rename* syscalls. It's an additional feature that mv can also copy and delete files for you.

i think they're different btw or im thinking of something else anyway rename oldnew new * werks on argh

>debian
>regex
>fedora
>glob

Why can't I be both

There are multiple rename utils tho, two i know of are, perl's rename(quite handy, comes with builtin regexes) and rename from linux-utils.

It wasn't created just to rename files. It just so happens that you're using it to do that, hence there's nothing wrong with the name.

and the debian one isn't standard

>I have personally coded over 150 GNU/Linux distros
Cant wait to install PoOS

could you expand on this? i dont do much command line stuff because most of my work is done in IDE's but are you saying mv doesnt work for moving a files from an ext4 partition to ntfs? why is that so? and how would one do such a thing. i mean you'd be an idiot to move a file across partitions but why doesn't it let you regardless?

Of course it does, except it's equivalent to running cp && rm (aside from additional flags to preserve metadata like modification date) – a brand new file is created in the new place and filled with the same content, then the original file is deleted on success.
Within the same filesystem, it just swaps directory entries for the same file around without touching its data.