I'm looking to buy an external hdd that won't die in a few months, any suggestions Jow Forums?

I'm looking to buy an external hdd that won't die in a few months, any suggestions Jow Forums?

Attached: wd-external-hard-drive.jpg (1500x1005, 88K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ozbargain.com.au/node/438314
costco.com/.product.100458004.html
amazon.com/Seagate-Expansion-Desktop-External-STEB8000100/dp/B01HAPGEIE
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>any suggestions
read the sticky again and pay extra attention to the "not your fucking consumer review site" part.

Just about any of them. Unless you keep smashing them in things while they're running, they don't die this quickly on average. But when it dies, you'll be glad to have had a RAID1/5/6 array or a setup with a solid backup / synchronization schedule.

Basically, set up a NAS or something if you care about your data and convenience both.

show bobs, show vagene

Attached: 1534733368023.jpg (1371x1351, 541K)

5.25 SSD hotswap

Attached: Thermaltake-MAX-1562-Hot-Swap.png (540x280, 105K)

toshiba canvio
i have 1tb and still going strong after 2 years

Samsung
A
M
S
U
N
G

If you move it around a lot and abuse it, probably an SSD or flash memory. If you're keeping it safe and secure and not dropping it then any of them will last 1 month - 10 years and there's no brand specifics that'll save you from that lottery.

Samsung T5

you don't really want an external unless you plan on carrying it around with you. otherwise you should either get/build a nas unless you've got one of them thar fancy routers that supports usb connections to plug an external into. but either way you'll want something self powered, not usb powered if you want it to last

if you want hard drive and not ssd then buy high quality internal 2.5'' drive and external enclosure because most external drives are poor quality (b stock) and come with non standard connection

>not usb powered if you want it to last
Why so?

don't buy seagate

>I'm looking to buy an external hdd that won't die in a few months, any suggestions Jow Forums?
Buy SSD with 5 year warranty and external case separately

Attached: 127533040966._smug_anime_grill.png (300x300, 104K)

>he doesnt own a WD My Passport

Attached: 20190213161158.png (1402x737, 284K)

Because disconnected often

I had a WD 1TB my passport that last maybe 3-4 years will lots of moving it around, drops, and generally irresponsible abuse of the poor little guy

Had one of these 2TB Silicon Power drives and dropped (5+ feet) and abused it a lot over the 2 years I've had it, still working perfectly.
There's a new 5TB model out now, but can't vouch for it.

Attached: 07_silicon_power_armor_a85.jpg (1600x1062, 237K)

Your pic-related works fine

I've never seen one last more than 6 months.

ozbargain.com.au/node/438314
pretty cheap

China is good at this, eh.

Attached: orico_2_5_enclosure.jpg (1000x1000, 41K)

Dont buy WD their drive use properitary garbage connector and not SATA and when the chinkshit usb controller dies you're fucked.

Mines been going for years. Don't sit on it or chuck it out the window I guess.

I had one and it died in 1 or 2 months

WDs are decent but you have to be careful and soft disconnect them every time. I think unplugging the drive when the platter is still spinning shortens their lifespan, especially if it's when the head is r/w shit. Combine with the fact that most people let the drives thrash around in a bag.

the poo in loos have figured out how to make them work with regular sata.

I have a version of this, though mine's just solid darker blue not dotted blue like this. Mine works just fine but I don't leave it plugged in all the time. , only when I need to read off it or backup it like a giant usb drive.

Buy an SSD, HDDs break often and quick if you use them as portable drives because they're mechanical and they can damage through bumps and stuff.

It worked on my end. I only had one bad throughout the last 5 years.

I've shucked 3 8tb white labels and didn't have to touch anything... and if I did all I have to do is kepton 3 pins like pic relate and presto. Newfag begone

Attached: qigq7cinr5x01.jpg (4032x3024, 1.1M)

No seagate, EVER. No 3tb drives of any sort, ever. Buy used older drives that have actual sata drives inside and not ones hard wired to the enclosure. Back your shit up.

Attached: 51756952_116450679467653_6960072933565792256_n.jpg (692x759, 53K)

>No 3tb drives of any sort, ever.
Are there any other sizes you should be avoiding?

4/6/8/10 tb drives safe?

IBM LTO7 tape

Just buy an enclosure instead.

What if I buy an external HDD and take it out of the enclosure and throw it in my PC? Are they mechnical and will last long?

I have a 10 year old one of these. Its my seed box hard drive. Works like a charm.

costco.com/.product.100458004.html

$130 for 8 TB

>get cucked by the company
>poo tier work around and still support them anyway

This is some Applefags tier cope.

wont work with Western Digital ones they use some proprietary garbage connector

because if usb powered it goes off and on a lot supposedly to save power but it kills the life of the drive

I've got a Toshiba canvio 4 years ago and still works.

Would it work with others?
Wanna just get a 8tb one and throw it in my PC since externals are cheaper.

I have a 4TB seagate running everyday for 5 years now

can I shuck those?

Buy internal drive you trust. Put it in enclosure. Save lots of money.

cheap enclosures have bad solders and easily break

Last week I bought an 8TB external seagate drive, there was a standard sata drive inside the case

This one? amazon.com/Seagate-Expansion-Desktop-External-STEB8000100/dp/B01HAPGEIE

yes

stop throwing them against hard objects while they're still spinning and you'll be fine

Seagate 1TB external (laptop) drives that you can get at any American walmart.
Western Digital 1TB external drive (also laptop size)
Works well too.

Bought 4x1TB external drives for around 50 dollars each, all were Seagate. They have been working fine for 3 years now. The western digital drive is 2 years old and works fine as well. I have written tons of data to all of the drives and formatted them many times.

AFAIK Walmart still sells the same exact drives for around the same price, so try it out op.