/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Previous thread:

Attached: 1550117199147.png (2379x2379, 1.38M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/user/arduinoversusevil
youtube.com/feeds/videos.xml?user=arduinoversusevil
youtube.com/robots.txt
github.com/void-linux/void-packages/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md
twitter.com/AnonBabble

god i wish that were me

CRUX, GuixSD or Source Mage?

Attached: sup.png (1280x800, 496K)

stop distrohopping
stop ricing

Ratpoison is not for ricing

Reminder:
• Ian Murdock was assassinated
• Everybody involved in getting systemd into Debian resigned
• Bruce Perens says Devuan is the way Debian should be

Attached: devuan-emblem_600dpi.png (9000x9000, 513K)

more like friendly feet thread haha

nice feet

Can I install systemd on Devuan?

Attached: question_mark_2.png (756x715, 889K)

i want to install my binaries in akarin's repository

if I switch to void linux from arch can I still use the AUR and apply anything on the arch wiki to void just fine?

>can I still use the AUR
no
>apply anything on the arch wiki to void just fine?
not everything but most of it

this image gave me a BONER

*sniffs*

>Ishtar
>Arch Linux
>Ishtar showing the arches of her feet
This is an advanced pun.

How can I type in moonrunes on KDE?
The guides on the Arch wiki didn't help at all. I could install everything I supposedly need, but in the end I can't convert the hiragana to katakana or kanji. It behaviors like I'm using a keyboard with japanese layout, which isn't the case.

Are you retarded?

Is this image a single hair of a neck beard?

Void is not an Arch derivative.

So I want to create a oneliner to extract the channel id of a youtube user and I got this

curl -s youtube.com/user/arduinoversusevil | grep "data-channel-external-id" -m 1 | sed -r 's/ /\n/g' | grep "data-channel-external-id" -m 1 | cut -d'>' -f1 | grep "data-channel-external-id" | cut -d= -f2

How would you rate it? Can it be improved?

Why would you need the id?

I'm on Arch. Is it even worth it to run Windows in a VM with a Core 2 Duo? Specifically, the Core 2 Duo T9500 but important thing is 2 cores and 2.6ghz.

Attached: 1496609110367.png (500x500, 271K)

You can, it should work somewhat okay in qemu with kvm because that machine has some virtualization features with VT-X.

But I don't know why it'd be worth to run Windows. Most things that are worth running run in Linux or under wine.

to add channel RSS feeds to newsboat

>can I still use the AUR
i've thought about how to make this work and i think the hardest part is how to map arch packages to void ones so that dependencies work
by their contents probably but i'd need a way to look up what files an arch package contains (preferably without installing pacman or using the website)
usually it's less effort to just port pkgbuilds to xbps-src templates manually though

Can anyone help me from last thread?
Is there a way to get urxvt to support images with w3m properly? They show up fine without x, but on urxvt they only load half way or flicker.

I've tried disabling the fake transparency on urxvt, I compiled with and without pixbuf on rxvt-unicode, and with imlib and gdk-pixbuf on w3m and I can't get it to work.

You can use usernames too, like this:
youtube.com/feeds/videos.xml?user=arduinoversusevil
If you insist using the id, try this:
curl -s youtube.com/user/arduinoversusevil | grep -Po '(?

Attached: 1418536985228.jpg (169x302, 15K)

No. VMs run like ass on anything Nehalem and earlier. You want a Sandyvag-or-later Intel or a Ryzen.

>curl youtube.com/robots.txt

># robots.txt file for YouTube
># Created in the distant future (the year 2000) after
># the robotic uprising of the mid 90's which wiped out all humans.

Literally botnet.

Reminded:
MX Linux already did this, and establishes itself not solely on being Debian without systemd

Set to 24 bit?

Never headed of this distro.

Tried it, didn't work either

What's the best distro for a laptop?

install gentoo

I'm having problems with system freezes when running out of memory on my 4GB system. Instead of the OOM killer stepping in, or processes swapping, the system freezes and becomes unresponsive to anything except a hard reset. SysRq does not work except for syncing to disk, and ssh isn't accepted. It just runs forever with the HDD LED indicator on, and there's nothing in the logs after reboot.

I want to consider Void but I have yet to find an answer to my biggest question. Does void have repos with the same volume as the AUR, or do I need to compile all non-official packages myself?

Void isn't Arch, it has no AUR nor a large user repo.

Thanks! Didn't knowabout the user

if you understand pkgbuilds, it's not that hard to write an equivalent xbps-src template and optionally contribute it to void-packages on github dot com
if you're a weird heretic you can use the nix package manager
portage is also in void-packages for some reason but i don't know how people use it without having to compile a whole gentoo system because of dependencies

I know it doesn't have THE AUR, I was just wondering if there was an easy way to get unofficial packages. Seems not.

Finally solved the issue. Installed IBus and kkc and everything's working like sex in my mouth です。

debian kde (best power management options)

I used Crux like ten years ago and it was pretty dead then. Is it any more active today? I'd like a nice simple binary distro to use.

Last I checked (which was a while ago), Lunar was more active than SourceMage, neither compared to Gentoo/Funtoo though.

how easy is it to get something into void-packages?
i use quite a few uncommon programs on arch, as evident by the fact i have 98 things from the AUR installed, and i even maintain a handful of things in the AUR myself, so while i don't mind putting things in repos, i wouldn't want to maintain many packages and not even be able to share them

Why isn't there a weekly /fglt/ podcast?
>the freshest memes
>the buthurtest dramas

alright thanks to luke smith I finally got me my arch distro working with his i3 larbs script. Is there any way how a retard like me can train to use the distro probably? I have no idea what I should do first

Bookmark the ArchWiki.

Attached: im_too_young_for_that.png (624x364, 277K)

github.com/void-linux/void-packages/pulls?q=is:pr is:closed "New package"
github.com/void-linux/void-packages/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md (see also Manual.md)
usually if a package is rejected, it's because:
- the program is unmaintained
- there hasn't been a release with a version number (void prefers stable releases over -git packages)
- it's too simple or duplicates the functionality of another package
if the program is useful to you and compiles from source on at least x86_64-glibc, it'll probably be accepted
you can also ask packaging-related questions in #xbps at irc.freenode.net (core developers lurk there)

i think i'm in love with the elementaryos

I think I uninstalled my laptop keyboard drivers, and after reset I can't type with any keyboard (tried plugging in a keyboard via usb).

What the fuck should I do?

God I came so hard to those feet...

Install Fedora, the truly superior distro

Attached: Fedora-logo.svg.png (2000x2000, 112K)

Linux Mint if you have nvidia optimus.