/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Tyler Kelly
Tyler Kelly

(some shitter with a script killed the old thread)
Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:

Attached: 0--7HQhrsyJYIrlEI5.jpg (58 KB, 610x458)

Other urls found in this thread:

fglt.nl
p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy
jowforums.com/thread/69767788/technology
kde.org/announcements/plasma-5.15.0.php
archiveteam.org/index.php?title=Blogger#Downloading_a_single_blog_with_Wget
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Unified_Extensible_Firmware_Interface
zdnet.com/article/no-you-cant-take-open-source-code-back/
pastebin.com/xUU1YWqa
ujaen.es/dep/fisica/estacion/estacion3.htm
packages.gentoo.org/packages/app-text/pybookreader
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications#Readers_and_viewers
aur.archlinux.org/packages/8192cu-dkms/?O=20&PP=10,
github.com/spack/spack
github.com/LLNL/cardioid
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Swap#Swap_file
jowforums.com/thread/69809633/technology

Anthony Hughes
Anthony Hughes

(shit OP, forgot this)
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Grayson Adams
Grayson Adams

Install Fedora

Attached: Fedora-logo.svg.png (112 KB, 2000x2000)

Brody Green
Brody Green

why isnt void booting on my t440p, my disk is gpt and i mounted my 512mib boot partiton as /boot/efi
wtf i hate linux now

Attached: 1546994836304.jpg (226 KB, 800x631)

Brayden Scott
Brayden Scott

About to distro hop over to debian with cinnamon de.

Good choice?

Michael White
Michael White

jowforums.com/thread/69767788/technology
Yeah, I moved the files into a different folder. Of course, though, when the game boots and doesn't find the files where it thinks they should be, it downloads new files. I figured a link would redirect the game to the appropriate folder.
I want my home directory to be MY home, not home to every little life sucking parasite dependency.

Brandon Nelson
Brandon Nelson

I would like to archive twitter profiles with their tweets, reply-chains, likes all intact, and some wordpress and blogger sites just in case they get nuked, for future reading.

but how? I'm on Ubuntu.

Lucas Ramirez
Lucas Ramirez

no

Jason Ross
Jason Ross

Have you updated to Plasma 5.15 yet? Has there been any change that you liked in particular?

kde.org/announcements/plasma-5.15.0.php

Noah Hall
Noah Hall

search archiveteam.org for the thing you want to archive
for twitter there's twarc, for the blog platforms you'll have to use wget
archiveteam.org/index.php?title=Blogger#Downloading_a_single_blog_with_Wget

Brandon Price
Brandon Price

Where are you coming from?

Check out this. wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Unified_Extensible_Firmware_Interface
Obviously you have to work around the lack of systemd but this article helped get things going.

Evan Thompson
Evan Thompson

So, I decided last night in a drunken stupor to put Linux on my computer, now I'm running Solus and have no idea what to do with myself or where to go from here. Any suggestions?

Elijah Sullivan
Elijah Sullivan

Thanks.

Ryder Lopez
Ryder Lopez

what do you want to know?

Joseph Morris
Joseph Morris

search archiveteam.org for the thing you want to archive
Probably apart from using their tools to archive it, also report the URL as worthy of archival by them (usually they use their "warrior" docker / VM images with volunteers).

It can then actually be added to archive.org quite well.

Ryan Ward
Ryan Ward

Well, usually you just install software and use it as you please every day?

I don't have instructions for Solus, though.

Juan Torres
Juan Torres

Full time mint, but in the past I've used ubuntu, and I've messed with manjaro but went back to mint.

Now I've kind of realized that there's no reason I shouldn't be running Debian instead.

Mason Brown
Mason Brown

What distro(s) run the newest kde plasma the best?

Attached: 1509627764216.jpg (28 KB, 480x480)

Matthew Rodriguez
Matthew Rodriguez

Gentoo is always good at this.

Jason Ramirez
Jason Ramirez

I want to like KDE Plasma but it is such a messy thing.

I would use XFCE but it doesn't scale to HiDPI monitor (13" 2160p) so I'm stuck with Ubanto which actually does it very well.

Andrew Perez
Andrew Perez

serious or meme?

Attached: stannishead.png (98 KB, 227x274)

Justin Hernandez
Justin Hernandez

use tiling window manager they taste pretty good

Logan Collins
Logan Collins

Serious. Part of Gentoo's team has long worked hard on KDE, they offered packages split into (almost) individual programs when KDE still worked with slightly more than a handful of large sauce files, patched KDE quite a few times, moved KDE ebuilds to newer EAPI when it helped and were influential in making the ebuild's EAPI better. The point is: they mostly did really quite well.

Alexander Thompson
Alexander Thompson

(cont'd)
This is also not wrong though. Not much that can go wrong with a tiling WM.

If you don't need ALL of plasma-shell's feature, you can just run KDE software and stuff on the tiling WM as you please.

John Green
John Green

i'll try it, thanks

Attached: 1530666627484.jpg (24 KB, 400x300)

Adrian Turner
Adrian Turner

Any distro/DE recommendations for muh new X230?

I wanna try Gentoo with kde and probably Fedora

Attached: 1549950669830.gif (1020 KB, 500x373)

Alexander Collins
Alexander Collins

I have a laptop with an Intel i5 8250u, 8gb ddr3, nvidia mx150 and 256gb SSD + 1TB hdd.

What distro/DE should I use? I've never used linux before. I'm probably gonna dual boot it with w10 ltsc for gaymes (linux on ssd/w10 on hdd). I want something as easy to use and maintain as windows (not necessarily looking like it).

Attached: Screen-Shot-20180521-at-9.16.28-PM.png (782 KB, 1440x1236)

Ryan Taylor
Ryan Taylor

Use Devuan instead

Blake Roberts
Blake Roberts

how do I add apt sources to sources.list?
can I open sources.list in vim and edit the file to add sources?

Carter Baker
Carter Baker

well if you move 4 folders out of your home, but still want them accessible from your home, you need to make a symlink for each folder, so either way, it will still be 4 files in your home folder

Austin Perez
Austin Perez

Yeah, I guess I'm retarded.

Aiden Young
Aiden Young

sources.list is a plain text file. Just add new lines to it using any text editor.

Wyatt Perez
Wyatt Perez

Yeah I figured it out, thanks.

Camden Cruz
Camden Cruz

Check out ubuntu and variants (kubuntu, xubuntu, ubuntu-mate etc) and openSuse

Samuel Sullivan
Samuel Sullivan

Which do you recommend specifically? I want to use it as my daily driver

Kevin Clark
Kevin Clark

Ubuntu is one of which works out of the box the best imho. (Not the you talked with).

Meaning, if you don't want hobby out of OS, try it first. If you want hobby out of OS, try Gentoo

Jacob Hughes
Jacob Hughes

Distro probably isn't relevant to you as a new user.
The "important" thing to figure out is what desktop you want.
Ubuntu have made it very easy to try them all out, simply download an iso with ubuntu-mate, gnome (the default), kde, xfce and boot into them and play around to see if you like that sort of thing.
I personally like kde as it offers the best graphical frontends plus the most features for people like me who want to use the keyboard all the time.
But form your own opinion.

Nicholas Anderson
Nicholas Anderson

What's the difference between DE's other than visuals (which can be customized anyway) and the use of resources?

Juan Thomas
Juan Thomas

Either go with elementaryOS, Linux Mint Cinnamon or Kubuntu imo

elementaryOS is an ubuntu-based distro made to look and feel like macOS
Mint is the currently most popular newbie friendly distro, based on ubuntu (which is based on debian), cinnamon desktop is very similar to windows and should be easy for you to understand
Ubuntu is the mother of all non-free newbie-friendly proprietary loving distros, kubuntu is just ubuntu with KDE desktop environment which is another windows-like gui experience

No matter what you install, you can change the look and feel by installing another desktop environment and window manager. Starting with any of these will get you familiar with dpkg which means you can eventually move on to Debian if you like (what I did).

Also, do the smart thing and just install the iso's and try them out in a VM or create a live install boot usb. Most of these distros have live installations which let you play around with the distro to get a feel for it before you install it.

Have fun.

Robert Parker
Robert Parker

DE is everything you see on the frontend basically. Some people forgo a DE and just use a window manager (like i3). Many DE's like KDE and Cinnamon are theme-able and allow you to easily customize icons, ui colors etc.

So, if you've seen someone's i3 rice for example, you don't have to be running Arch to do that. You can run that on Ubuntu or Mint if you wanted to.

the use of resources
what do you mean?

Caleb Allen
Caleb Allen

I'm trying to dual boot MacOS and Gentoo on a mid-2012 Macbook Pro

Anybody got any advice? I'm feeling a little overwhelmed by the guides I found

Caleb Torres
Caleb Torres

if you're feeling overwhelemed, fuck gentoo and just learn linux basics on something like ubuntu

Luis Bell
Luis Bell

Neon was basically designed for this

Nathaniel Myers
Nathaniel Myers

That's not a bad idea, I'm ok with Linux in general, I've run some VMs and I have a spare PC I use as a server box, but I'm just a bit confused by the way bootloaders are handled in Macs, because I don't know anything about the EFI in macs

Alexander Powell
Alexander Powell

I need a laptop that's small. As small as I can get while having a good screen. All I need it to do is watch videos and browse the internet. Going to use Manjaro on it. Budget is 150$-200$.
Any recommendations?

Michael Bennett
Michael Bennett

Is there a way to run a package manager on a LFS system?

I am looking forward to create my own, because they are very platform-specific, but maybe there is already a highly-customizable package manager.

Brandon James
Brandon James

A second hand thinkpad of some sort, and slap an SSD in here.
Going to use 'Arch for babies' on it
Just use Arch.

Juan Lopez
Juan Lopez

what do you mean?
I mean the ram & cpu usage. Some DE's are considered light whereas others heavy, etc.

Angel Ross
Angel Ross

I am still new to Vim and Plugins for it.. What would you recommend to make it more like an IDE?

Dylan Harris
Dylan Harris

Elementary OS is great for newcomers.
I use it being quite experienced because I don't care about customizing the visuals and need stability.

Easton Scott
Easton Scott

How does it compare to Ubuntu
t. retard who just reads pdfs or watches YT with laptop

Benjamin Morales
Benjamin Morales

Personally I think it looks better than ubuntu. Its a bit lighter on the resources and I prefer the programs that it comes with.
It also comes with less random programs so you can install just what you need.
That said it's less customizable, some people don't like that but if you enjoy the desktop experience as is, it also means less stuff will break.
Honestly, you can live boot all of these and try them before installing.
I'd get them both and run them once to see what you like better.

Dominic Carter
Dominic Carter

I have an Asus laptop that runs Ubuntu. Now I want to get a docking station, is there anything I need to consider? How well do docking stations work with GNU/Linux?

Brandon Robinson
Brandon Robinson

I have Dell XPS and Dell's docking station and it works great. So I can't advice you on Asus and random dock lol

Alexander Jenkins
Alexander Jenkins

I want to get into linux but i don't know if all my games would work on it what do you think

Anthony Rivera
Anthony Rivera

stop being a manchild who plays, problem solved

Nathan Allen
Nathan Allen

Check this site: appdb.winehq.org
You can look up how well some games run.

Samuel Bailey
Samuel Bailey

zdnet.com/article/no-you-cant-take-open-source-code-back/

Jack Young
Jack Young

Can someone brainpill me.

How can something be 'closed' code
How can it not be opened and reverse-engineered?

Cameron Campbell
Cameron Campbell

Yes, you can set up dpkg with your own .deb packages for example.
You can add extra data to the packages that
-prevent installation on other dpkg based systems to avoid problems (using a pre-install script)
-prevent installation of other systems' deb packages on yours.

Evan Murphy
Evan Murphy

Welp, after half a year of using Arch Linux, I am putting it down. I worked hard on ricing it out, getting things working and customizing it how I wanted.
The hard reality is that Linux does not run games well. YES, it does run the games. I can technically play most of the games I want to play. But there are some games, like Guild Wars 2 for example, that simply don't run smoothly at all.
I can still use Vim in windows. So its not that bad. I will have to rely on my mouse more but its not a big deal.
Its like arguing between QWERTY and Dvorak. Yes Dvorak is better but it is impossible for you to avoid the universal influence of QWERTY no matter how hard you try.
So I will stop wasting my time on Linux. Disappointed but I have to move on.

/blog

Attached: 338193559.png (1.07 MB, 1920x1080)

Zachary Ramirez
Zachary Ramirez

closed source means that the author doesn't give you the original, human readable source code of the program.
Disassembly is possible but usually a violation of the program's EULA and you can get into legal trouble for doing it. Code resulting from disassembly is not the original source.

Levi Wilson
Levi Wilson

Disassembly is possible but usually a violation of the program's EULA and you can get into legal trouble for doing it

But I can disassemble my car and not get into legal trouble. IP rights are silly in computer space.
the original, human readable source code
So the program runs on scrambled (crypted?) code unless you can create de-scrambler to find the real code?

Josiah Martin
Josiah Martin

just play online chess or go

Landon Reed
Landon Reed

But I can disassemble my car and not get into legal trouble.
Stop being retarded man, don't compare a fucking car to software.
Also, in case you didn't notice we are heading to this direction when using a car will require an EULA, cars will be licensed and not sold and if you open your fusebox without a Official VW Silver Grade Mechanic License (TM) you will get sued.

So the program runs on scrambled (crypted?) code unless you can create de-scrambler to find the real code?
Know what, nevermind.

Noah Lopez
Noah Lopez

I said I need brainpill my dude I'm retarded sorry

Caleb Nelson
Caleb Nelson

I have similar feelings although I've never used linux. I've been trying out various distros in vm's but they all seem more trouble than their worth. What benefits does Linux have compared to Win 10 LTSC?

Leo Hughes
Leo Hughes

If I use a linux distro (kali) from my usb as a liveboot, will I be able to save data to itand basically just use it as a VM, or do I have to have virtualbox or something else installed?

Jace Evans
Jace Evans

Open and Closed is brainwashing terminology. Think of Free Software as in Free as in Freedom and you get the idea that free source code has certain freedoms, which include source code availability, obviously.

Attached: the-four-freedoms.gif (66 KB, 584x438)

Lincoln Wood
Lincoln Wood

I'm pretty new to herbstluftwm and I'm a bash brainlet, sadly. I've scripted before, but most of it has just been piping commands into other commands, regex, etc. Nothing with arrays.

My current goal is to just have a new scratchpad(like the one from the example), that contains every popup. As soon as a popup appears, that tag(called dialog) is focused. I've got the rules set up in herbstlfutwm autostart, something that listens for the hook, BUT it's not always working. I actually can't tell what I do, but at some point, it just works and the popup appears on the tag dialog AND gets focused.
pastebin.com/xUU1YWqa
This is the relevant scripts. I've asked on the irc but I dont think anyone knew what was going on. Anyone uses a similar script or something else to get decent popups instead of 10px taking up half your screen?

Adrian Campbell
Adrian Campbell

debian is a meh choice and cinnamon is a bad choice but you ought to see for yourself I suppose

Jayden Davis
Jayden Davis

Would it be bad to run a cron that sends SIGCONT to my wm every minute? Sometimes it freezes and that unfreezes it but I need to go to another tty and send SIGCONT to it whenever it happens
Also it's a ThinkPad so would this drain the battery?

Parker Reyes
Parker Reyes

Benefits are customization and no bloat. These are great benefits, but the cost is lower video game performance.

Blake Cruz
Blake Cruz

Once a minute isn't so fast it'll drain the battery noticably.

Most of the time live usbs are read-only. You can install directly to a usb, but it'll be really slow to use.

Programmers write code
Compilers convert code into machine language
Closed-source programs come with only machine language and not the original program, and (often) make it illegal to reverse-engineer the machine code.

Bentley Garcia
Bentley Garcia

And there won't be any other side effects of flooding it with sigconts?

Nathaniel Fisher
Nathaniel Fisher

I don't think so. But if it freezes, do you really want to wait up to 1 minute before it gets continued? That seems a long time. Might be better to just find a WM that doesn't freeze so often.

Jaxson Stewart
Jaxson Stewart

Install GNU on baremetal.

Cooper Wilson
Cooper Wilson

Easy solution:
A Windows machine as "game console" that can do it's occasional hour-long updates and virus infestations and shit. If Microsoft or someone else adds another privacy invasive botnet layer or fucks everything up again, it'll not necessarily matter TOO much to you.

A Linux machine for everyday use and programming and work in general. Far more trustworthy, long-term maintainable, useful.

they all seem more trouble than their worth
IDK how you use computers. Maybe you're literally better off with Android if you need virtually nothing more than something that launches a web browser.

Lucas Foster
Lucas Foster

I suppose so, although 1 minute would be the worst case scenario if it freezes on exactly the :00 mark
It's just i3 though with no DE, I don't understand why it freezes, I think it's a compton issue

Matthew Wood
Matthew Wood

install KDE neon
update
it's now claiming to be regular Ubuntu

is there a way to change the identification? I know it's based on Ubuntu but I really hate the name of it

Attached: Jahy-sama-wa-Kujikenai!---Ch.22---Jahy-sama-and-a-Neighbor---13~01.png (1.14 MB, 1684x908)

Justin Hill
Justin Hill

babby installs ubuntu
b-but I don't want it to SAY it's ubuntu!

Attached: 1531683152220.jpg (220 KB, 548x551)

Jason Campbell
Jason Campbell

I cucked myself out of being able to use sudo by using the same name for my user as the system. Any other retard traps I should know before I go much further?

David Roberts
David Roberts

//boards.Jow Forums.org/pol/

Lincoln Allen
Lincoln Allen

You tried to name your user root?

Jackson Sullivan
Jackson Sullivan

why yes; I don't like it. If I wanted to a big Ubuntu at boot i'd just install Ubuntu with KDE

Henry Collins
Henry Collins

guild wars 2 doesn't run smoothly
Well there's your problem right there. Arenanet lost all their old devs and are working with legacy shit the don't know how to fix.

Nathan Hughes
Nathan Hughes

I anally gimped myself, that honestly any diffrent you cumguzzler?

Alexander Edwards
Alexander Edwards

KDE neon

Attached: 1546107757368.png (359 KB, 688x800)

Jeremiah White
Jeremiah White

Go to install manjaro
Get to partitions
Can't do anything
Only option is to manually partition
No matter what I do I cannot select 'next'
What did they mean by this?

Attached: DeepinScreenshot-20190214041212.png (41 KB, 1024x612)

Joshua Bailey
Joshua Bailey

200GB+ boot partitition

try revert changes or format the drive before installing

Andrew Peterson
Andrew Peterson

Funny GNU/Linux Thread

Attached: why-though.jpg (368 KB, 840x700)

Connor Hughes
Connor Hughes

Formatting it before install completely fixed it
Thanks, I'm retarded. I shouldn't be doing this as tired as I am.

Lucas Russell
Lucas Russell

file system: NTFS

Samuel Reed
Samuel Reed

And it is to be used as /boot.

WTF, format that shit and define a / partition at least.

John James
John James

ntfs

Attached: 1519781374440.gif (2.91 MB, 387x432)

Christopher Robinson
Christopher Robinson

even "people" like THIS are switching to GNU/Linux
man, microsoft really fucked up didn't they

Attached: 1527931719606.jpg (38 KB, 640x400)

Juan Clark
Juan Clark

This is gonna sound insensitive, but why do you have to play all those specific games? Can't you just play games that run well? Maybe even games you weren't playing before? You could probably even replace games with watching movies or TV. It's weird how attached people get to very specific things. I think it's best to distance yourself from proprietary games because of all the issues that come with them. If you want to try some libre games, I recommend minetest and xonotic. There are also a bunch of roguelikes, but not everyone is into those. nethack and dungeon crawl stone soup are good.

Michael Peterson
Michael Peterson

Are you sure it's freezing or is it just the mouse cursor changing? If you start programs with "exec" instead of "exec --no-startup-id" it has an hour glass for up to a minute I believe.

Nathan Bennett
Nathan Bennett

Gaming in GNU is extremely pleasing when you discover /vr/ emulation. The olden days when games were actually hard, satisfying and great - and proprietary software wasn't equal surveillance capitalism malware as today.
Get Retroarch.

Dylan White
Dylan White

not him, but i can sympathize with wanting to play specific games
i don't play games often anymore, and so it takes something really unique to to get my attention
yes, there's plenty of older games which i want to play at some point and i'll totally get around to them eventually maybe oh shit it's been 20 years already haha.
ahem.
ah yea, it's nice to be able to try out that neat new indie 3D platformer, some games can't be replaced

Ethan Rodriguez
Ethan Rodriguez

I thought the GNU/Linux has no games thing has settled after proton?

Brody Flores
Brody Flores

It still has no games. The efforts of emulating Windows software on GNU/Linux have raised, but developers still don't make actual ports. Why should they when there's so much *revolution* in Windows emulation?
Wine and Proton are as best a workaround, but not a solution and improving workarounds can easily lead to feeding the problems persistence.

Carter Jones
Carter Jones

WINE Is Not an Emulator.

Henry Garcia
Henry Garcia

I did, and it's great. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll probably run it for a while.

Thomas Baker
Thomas Baker

So this is a bit weird, chromium runs with pretty low CPU usage even tho it uses quite a bit of ram, but I've tried surf and quite browser and while being way lower on ram usage they're constantly using 10%cpu even if I'm idle on a site.
Any ideas?

Hudson Davis
Hudson Davis

thank you ill look into it.

Alexander Cooper
Alexander Cooper

probably hardware acceleration (lack thereof)

Easton Perez
Easton Perez

you do realise you're still running google chrome. right?

Luke Harris
Luke Harris

Closed-source programs come with only machine language and not the original program, and (often) make it illegal to reverse-engineer the machine code.

Who the hell knows if you reverse-engineer it though? How can it be illegal? I can pick apart my car, my apartment, the snowmobile I have wtf makes no sense

Is this some ploy

Daniel Harris
Daniel Harris

I'm a big retard and I switched to Ubuntu because dear lord Windows 10 was pure shit.

Connor Parker
Connor Parker

how do you like it?

Jordan Murphy
Jordan Murphy

better than Windows duh.

David Reyes
David Reyes

ur retarded

Michael Ortiz
Michael Ortiz

My laptop sucks and I put Lubuntu on it. It runs great, but I'm now looking at browsers. Is Brave relatively light weight? I know I can get terminal only browsers, but as a web dev I like to still be able to debug.

Owen Clark
Owen Clark

chromium
Why do you use a spyware browser?

Grayson Reed
Grayson Reed

because he's technologically illiterate

Gabriel Peterson
Gabriel Peterson

Cli: w3m
Web with ubo and umatrix: IceCat
Don't touch the web without protection.

Henry Howard
Henry Howard

web dev
No way around botnet. Get a VM and install all the browsers you need.

Angel Lopez
Angel Lopez

I have a 1080p smart tv I've connected to my laptop (see picture) using hdmi, it works fine for a bit but when playing videos using mpv after about 20 min my laptop screen and the tv freezes then my entire laptop stops working, cant even ssh into it. Anyone know why this might be happening? I'm using i915 driver if that means anything

Attached: 2019-02-14-172920-802x458-scrot.png (67 KB, 802x458)

Easton Williams
Easton Williams

check temps under load?

Austin Walker
Austin Walker

how do I check temps?

Jason Bell
Jason Bell

lm_sensors

Nicholas Rodriguez
Nicholas Rodriguez

cheers mate, ill try again and see if its a heat issue

Angel Martinez
Angel Martinez

not sure if this is the right place to ask but i just installed ubuntu and im lurking with 4chanx but now i get two quick reply boxes.. one native and one x .. ive disabled the native extension (well it was disabled by default) what gives?

Noah Brown
Noah Brown

How do you like OpenSUSE, frens? Never used it, more I read about it, more I'm inclined to give it a shot.

Justin Fisher
Justin Fisher

Id use Qutebrowser but the constant CPU usage is annoying.

Nolan Mitchell
Nolan Mitchell

Just use icacat. It's firefox without mozilla sjw and proprietary fuckery

Jordan Torres
Jordan Torres

I don't like it. Every takes extra steps and amazingly managed to break more than anything I've tried (talking about tumbleweed)

Justin Flores
Justin Flores

Sure I'll give it a shot. Thanks

Attached: IMG-20190119-WA0004.jpg (41 KB, 655x491)

Ryan Stewart
Ryan Stewart

you'll most likely want to disable the built in librejs plugins, they are stallman-tier and will prevent you from accessing most websites
also the searx/startpage(something like that) addon is just a worse version of uMatrix

Asher Perry
Asher Perry

I have read an htm file into a variable using wget -O - and now I'm having problems because some characters have accents like ó and grep won't recognise those. How can I solve this?

Hunter Clark
Hunter Clark

htm
.html file?

Zachary Morgan
Zachary Morgan

What do you want to grep? Post example.

Elijah Butler
Elijah Butler

Well yeah, they are the same after all.

Cameron Moore
Cameron Moore

I want grep to find the line containing <td>Sensación</td>.

Cooper Cox
Cooper Cox

htm is from dos ages where filenames and extensions were length limited
today, thanks to technical advancement, we are free to say html without problems

Ian Hall
Ian Hall

Ok, but adding an extra character to the extension of the file does not change its contents. See here for what I want to do.

Logan Johnson
Logan Johnson

Works on my machine.

$ grep '<td>Sensación</td>' <<< '<td>Sensación</td>'
<td>Sensación</td>

Dominic Martin
Dominic Martin

Thanks technology.

Ryan Cooper
Ryan Cooper

Fedora or arch?

Zachary Martinez
Zachary Martinez

And it works on mine as well, but I'm echoing a variable like this:

temp="$(wget -O - url)"
echo "$temp" | grep -a '<td>Sensación</td>'

Joshua Cook
Joshua Cook

Can't you read? He said Debian.

Zachary Thomas
Zachary Thomas

No, I couldn’t.

Brody Stewart
Brody Stewart

Can't reproduce. Looks like a wget problem.
$ echo "<td>Sensación</td>" | grep '<td>Sensación</td>'
<td>Sensación</td>
URL would be helpful.

Asher Rivera
Asher Rivera

Cool, thanks for the heads up

Andrew Cox
Andrew Cox

ujaen.es/dep/fisica/estacion/estacion3.htm

I think the problem lies in the encoding of the htm file (ISO-8859-15) and the encoding of the terminal.

Adrian Roberts
Adrian Roberts

I want to see Hurd happen so badly.

Justin Martin
Justin Martin

You mean html file.

Jaxson Rivera
Jaxson Rivera

Judging by my first post the answer should be obvious. Fedora just werks and is just as customizable as Arch. Arch is a buggy mess with lazy maintainers. Fedora literally has corporate financial support. I could go on because I have multiple shill templates.
Ancient trannies

Blake Ross
Blake Ross

Nevermind, I found the solution.

temp="$(wget -O - url)"
echo "$temp" | iconv -f ISO-8859-15 -t UTF-8 | grep -a '<td>Sensación</td>'

Hudson Cox
Hudson Cox

Yeah that's an encoding problem. Sorry, can't help here. Maybe try wget with the local-encoding flag (see manpage).
You could also just work around it by using an '<td>Sensaci.n</td>' Instead of <td>Sensación</td>

Leo Gomez
Leo Gomez

Me too user, me too

Attached: Debian-GNU-Hurd-2015-Has.jpg (95 KB, 1280x1024)

Carson Stewart
Carson Stewart

meme memes buzzword meme meme memes buzzwords meme memes
| grep content; echo "$?'

Wyatt Edwards
Wyatt Edwards

Have any of you ever set up an internal wiki using MediaWiki on Apache? Is there any easier way? Really I just want to host some SOPs and text documents (doesn’t even need to be documents, it can just be written in HTML on the actual page). I want it to be internal only and accessed by IP address. Is this feasible?

Benjamin Gomez
Benjamin Gomez

Occasionally, fa/g/lords will sperg out about which distro is truly superior—usually Arch due to its "minimalism", Debian due to its "stability", Ubuntu due to its "ease of use", et cetera. All more or less incorrect, of course; Arch's kernel has an allyesconfig which is unnecessary bloat and counterarguments its self-proclaimed DIY nature, Debian's main meme is being ancient as all hell, and Ubuntu's everything generally sucks—from apt and its ways of handling dependencies to the varied degrees of bloat you get upon a fresh install. Yes, that includes Server as well for the most part.
In comparison, Fedora is about as fresh as a distro can get. While there is certainly a good amount of pros in comparison to other distros and by itself, these are only a few that are considered integral to its out-of-the-box, comfortable enterprise experience.

Just werks out of the box
Systemd is implemented nicely you it doesn't bother me that much like other distros do
Same for GNOME because GNOME is tied with systemd
Same for SELinux which is known for making things don't work. Never had this problem on Fedora.
It is intended to above-medium users(like sysadmins, programmers, powerusers etc.) and not linux newbies(doesn't mean it is hard to use) so it focuses more on polishing the distro and development tools rather than focusing making it "easier to use".
The userland is 100% free software which is good, the main repo has strict licensing rules so only free software gets there, which is good, but it still has non-free firmware which is also good because not everyone has a libre computer.
Packages are compiled with hardening options like position-independend-executable which makes Fedora very secure
Developers are actually either Redhat developers or profesional/advanced community developers and not careless basement autists or retarded SJW trannies that remove packages just because they have the word "boob" in it.

Jaxon Lopez
Jaxon Lopez

What's a good EPUB reader for linux? I normally use zathura, but it's too slow with big epubs.

If it's a good all in one that's fine too.

Jacob Young
Jacob Young

DIDNT READ LOL

Attached: 1549567284243.gif (1.13 MB, 268x312)

Lucas Morales
Lucas Morales

What is the best DE to install on a minimal Debian installation?

Anthony Butler
Anthony Butler

Book Reader

Carson Barnes
Carson Barnes

Is it this? Doesn't look like it
packages.gentoo.org/packages/app-text/pybookreader

That name doesn't lend well to searching

Levi Taylor
Levi Taylor

I've come across a few different ways to add testing/unstable repos to debian stable so what's the correct/safest way to do it?

Attached: 1538929620061.png (620 KB, 600x583)

Brody Peterson
Brody Peterson

Okay guys, how in the hell do I install GuixSD through a VM on Hyper-V? I've been trying to and it's impossible I keep getting command not found and other errors. It's so stupid why can't the install be like unlbuntus and it has to be so retarded? I can't even see my code on write on the CMD prompt

Nathaniel Rogers
Nathaniel Rogers

If you're going minimal, you don't want a DE. If you do, LXDE is about as minimal as it gets there, a good compromise, being both low-footprint and full-featured. Depending on your experience level and comfort zone, you can go more minimal by going with just a window manager that suits you, and then installing whichever programs you actually need (text editor, file manager, web browser, Jow Forums desktop client, etc). Archwiki's List of Applications has a section on DEs and WMs that you should investigate.

Bentley Nguyen
Bentley Nguyen

comfortable enterprise experience
user,
I'm glad you posted. I've started using CentOS for some cheap VPS, and am looking for a more enterprise grade distro.

Tell me about the enterprise features, things that have parity with windows enterprise management features. Managing more than a couple dozen systems starts to be burdensome if doing it individually.

Camden King
Camden King

Sounds like you'd be a fan of Cockpit. It's available on CentOS as well though. You can use it to have servers join an AD domain, or manage multiple servers from a single web interface.

Anthony Hughes
Anthony Hughes

Why not just partition your drive, have a windows install dedicated for gaming, and leave your arch install for programming, web browsing, etc.

Oliver Taylor
Oliver Taylor

eplee
xfce. you will regret lxde
simply edit your repo file in etc/apt

Elijah Young
Elijah Young

i'm a software developer who uses macos

basically, I'm interested in software develomplemnt, how my os works is interesting but not necessary for my profession

am i missing something that I wojuld learn if I use Gentoo or Arch? something that would help me to be a better programmer?

David Sanchez
David Sanchez

don't use a DE; install a window manager and a desktop manager

Jordan Jackson
Jordan Jackson

Are you using the default mpv config or your own customized one?
What version of mpv are you using?
My guess is that its an old version and is causing a memory leak or some kind of incompatability with the video driver.

Anthony Turner
Anthony Turner

Not from those two.
Arch is useful if you want to learn how the Linux userspace ties together.
Gentoo is useful if you want to watch shit scroll on the screen for hours.
Actually usable distros like Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora, or OpenSUSE would be more useful for you because they take away the burden of having to replace half of the ancient macOS userspace through brew.
Of course, don't install Linux on Apple hardware if you can help it. There's subtle breakage all over and it's less hassle to install it on a normal laptop.

Adam Morgan
Adam Morgan

gentoo or arch
Doesn't have to be either of those memes, but running Linux as a daily driver, especially if you're the type that likes to tinker with and tweak the settings on everything, will teach you a lot.

Lucas Reyes
Lucas Reyes

No, even reading the linux from scratch docs would do you better than gentoo or arch

Nathaniel Smith
Nathaniel Smith

I keep getting a LSB thin initscript error on boot, and then the gui never loads and I'm stuck with the terminal they show instead of my desktop. Like the mouse appears the gui just never starts. Anyone know what to do?

Christian Ward
Christian Ward

Pls help

Caleb Carter
Caleb Carter

I put my Debian Stretch SSD into a laptop I bought but X does not start because the laptop has only onboard video. How can I reconfigure X?

Jose Brooks
Jose Brooks

If you change the ID new installed software may break. You got Ubuntu, end of story.

Kayden Long
Kayden Long

Is there any Linux Distro I can launch from a USB stick - to wipe an entire HDD or SSD?

Leo Cruz
Leo Cruz

1. oof
I upgraded linux kernel to 4.20.8 on Pop!_OS and now the Raven GPU seems to be running ok(ish). The GPU is making gnome hurt my eyes because the transitions are too fast.
How do i make this hurt less (make the transitions slower)?

2. 1 minute boot time
this is unacceptable. how do i cut down boot time in half (at least)?

Owen King
Owen King

Mint, Debian Live installs, and Ubuntu from my experience but I'm sure there's more. I think Manjaro also supports live install.

Carter Barnes
Carter Barnes

Is there a practical warranted reason to dislike systemd? I hear "bloat" but in the scheme of things how much does ~500 extra lines of code matter and is it replaced by other "bloat" in non systemd installs

Ryder King
Ryder King

just did this with ubuntu. you can ever re-partition existing drives if thats your thing

Brayden Clark
Brayden Clark

But I can disassemble my car and not get into legal trouble
Stop being retarded man, don't compare a fucking car to software
So it's not ok for users to compare software to a car when we want to disassemble it, but it's ok for the companies to compare software to a car when they don't want us to steal it?
You have seen those "you wouldn't download a car" anti-piracy ads haven't you?

The truth actual truth of all this is very simple, and it's this: People are just fucking idiots. Even the law makers are, and often can't into basic reasoning.
I wish it were more complicated than that, but it's really not.

Elijah Anderson
Elijah Anderson

Your precious gpl means absolutely nothing in the REAL WORLD. Not your fake internet morality quizzes

Attached: lolgpl.png (46 KB, 715x499)

Jayden Mitchell
Jayden Mitchell

Actually yes. What the others didn't consider is arch's AUR and Gentoo's USE flags. You won't learn from day to day usage. You need to look at stuff that is supported by the system but not recommended for new users. There's stuff to learn if you figure out how parts of the userland work in detail, one at a time. Those two distros are particularly well suited. Their wikis have a lot of stuff about these topics. Customization is encouraged.
Gentoo teaches more about compilation. It's also nice to compare these two as one has systemd as default and the other doesn't.

Luis Jones
Luis Jones

I did, and apparently am too dumb to get a simple driver working.
It's nice though.

Connor Powell
Connor Powell

You can do this with easy GUI in Mint as well.

imo Mint is the best newbie distro hands down, maybe only elementaryOS competes.

Angel Howard
Angel Howard

What DE for Debian would be the least resource intensive, minimal but gets the job done, is fast and is good for battery life? The less bloat the better.

XFCE?

Jordan Nguyen
Jordan Nguyen

Use Emacs

Hunter Flores
Hunter Flores

XFCE and LXDE
both solid.. lxde is actually designed for older machines tight on resources

Jordan Rodriguez
Jordan Rodriguez

CentOS is 100x more enterprise than Fedora. Fedora is RHEL/CentOS alpha version

Gabriel Nguyen
Gabriel Nguyen

I don't think there is one where you can't do that.
I have often used puppy Linux for recovery and such because it is faster to download.

Leo Williams
Leo Williams

ubuntu 1.5 gb ram (gnome)
mint 1.2 gb ram (cinnamon)
pop os 1.2 gb ram (tweaked gnome)
ubuntu studio 500 mb ram (xfce)

ubuntu studio will engage with gnome if using the software manager. ram jumps to 700mb and gnome stays running.

gnome seems to be ram intensive and possible leaks.

Robert Miller
Robert Miller

battery life difference is insignificant
even kde doesnt have many background processes. it just stores a lot in ram

Connor Ross
Connor Ross

How come when I use
[ -n $1 ]
as a loop condition it doesn't work when using
[[ $1 != "" ]]
works as intended

I'm trying to echo arguments one by one via shift and I want to detect when arguments run out rather than work with their count

Luke Ortiz
Luke Ortiz

Be more specific.
What do I do.

In order to do what?
First, form your question, then just Google your question and avoid this place.

Lincoln Cook
Lincoln Cook

How in the fuck does nano fucking work? Stupid fucking guixSD is dumb as fucking shit Im just trying to install it. on a vm and the fucking nano text editor is so stupid why the fuck cant I do this shit I already slapped myself out of anger fucking help

Mason Mitchell
Mason Mitchell

Hi, I need KDE Connect to start before the login screen, is it possible? I am a noob learning.
I need to know where the KDE Connect executable is and its name too.

thanks

Justin Rogers
Justin Rogers

The fuck happened? My SSD died?

Attached: IMG-20190214-195207.jpg (137 KB, 876x306)

Christopher Edwards
Christopher Edwards

Is the root partition on that SSD? Check the cables

Josiah Barnes
Josiah Barnes

Applications are usually launched through a "desktop" file.
They are typically located in /usr/share/applications.
In that directory, you can simply grep after the application name, I prefer

grep -rni name
as I get most information this way.
The exec line tell you what binary is called.

As for starting a service, you can use systemd for this.

Samuel Anderson
Samuel Anderson

The cables are fine.
I upgraded and Arch broke.
It's just Arch being Arch.

I'm making a bootable flash disk now, gonna try and fix it soon.

Kevin Harris
Kevin Harris

How is Debian with KDE? I've tried Arch, but it didn't work well.

John Jones
John Jones

Looks like your initrd wasn't properly rebuilt somehow when you upgraded. The Arch kernel apparently doesn't come with the driver for your storage controller built in and only has it as a module, so it has to load it from the initrd to actually be able to see your disk at all, which is why it can't find the partition anywhere.
If you chroot in from some liveUSB or whatever, you should be able to run

mkinitcpio -p linux
(replace linux with linux-lts if you use linux-lts) and it should fix it.
Most likely your SSD is fine, though if you're worried, you could check with
smartctl -a /dev/yourdrivehere

Joshua Sullivan
Joshua Sullivan

works fine

Christopher James
Christopher James

thanks! gonna try it and brb with the results

Julian Scott
Julian Scott

thanks! I chrooted and mikinitcpio'd
it works now!
I think I ran out of disk space while upgrading and it broke my system

Austin Williams
Austin Williams

regret lxde

Why?

Chase Stewart
Chase Stewart

(be root)
cd /etc/X11
Xorg -configure

Austin Reyes
Austin Reyes

1. Stop using GNOME.
2. Stop using Pop OS.

Levi Hernandez
Levi Hernandez

Is there a way,through css? That you can move the Find Bar's "X"X close button from the right side, to the left side?

Brody Rivera
Brody Rivera

Most such bars aren't html and css but gtk or qt or such.

Dylan Gray
Dylan Gray

I found a excerpt from someones userchrome.css to move it to the top, but i did some digging around but didnt find any specific name for the close button on the find bar that would move it.
The firefox find bar close button isnt handled by the wm i'm using so i assumed it was internally with firefox and could be altered with userchrome.css modifications
Here is the userchrome.css for moving it from the bottom to the top

.browserContainer > findbar {
-moz-box-ordinal-group: 0;
}

Nolan Barnes
Nolan Barnes

I'm not using any custom mpv conf and my version of mpv from debian repo is 0.23.0. Could be a driver issue but I think it was a temp problem because it worked fine when I closed all programs except mpv and had the laptop sitting at 81/82 deg (a couple of deg off critical). Anyway I'm using my computer tower instead now and no hitches so far.

Adam Robinson
Adam Robinson

Easy there, Tyrone, no need to go full-gorilla. It works by typing "nano [file]" into the command line. From there you use the arrow keys to move the cursor, backspace and delete to delete things, and the letter keys to type stuff. Super easy. Various commands, and the keybindings for them, are listed on the bottom of the screen. And, to quote nano itself, "For basic help, type Ctrl+G."

Brandon Ortiz
Brandon Ortiz

Excuse me, I mistyped that. Full-chimp. No need to go full-chimp, Tyrone.

Jose Morales
Jose Morales

Okay im kind of getting it now and sorry for being a nog, but how can I save and exit nano/the newtork config file on nano so I can setup the wifi and then be able to create the IP? And then it's so annoying because I can't see the command line when I write cause of my display or hyper v being stupid or I think GuixSd does this on purpose lol
Yes I got mad af cause I was like are you serious this shit is different compared to Ubuntu

Gavin Cooper
Gavin Cooper

So I'm trying to get webkit based browsers to work, I tried surf, vimb and luakit.
All seem to have webview crash when opening google or I suppose anything with more complex javascript (fsf.org works for example), do I need some specific use flag on webkit-gtk or is something else wrong or are they just shit?

Henry Long
Henry Long

High refresh monitor came today.
The question is, how would I configure a multi monitor setup with it with different refreshes? I tried only using that one monitor and just browsing feels extremely smooth whereas if I go and use all of the monitors, scrolling seems a little clunky. On Debian Sid running GNOME by the way. I haven't tried other DEs aside from xfce and haven't tried KDE in about 4 years.

Attached: question-mark-NEET-at-computer.png (260 KB, 620x640)

Adam Baker
Adam Baker

xrandr

Gavin Rogers
Gavin Rogers

vim

Ryder Murphy
Ryder Murphy

Thanks, eplee is exactly what I was looking for

Isaiah Nelson
Isaiah Nelson

It tells you right there in the interface which keybindings save and exit, so i can only assume you're just here to waste people's time.

Jeremiah Powell
Jeremiah Powell

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications#Readers_and_viewers

Brandon Reed
Brandon Reed

Did you add random repos to your sources.list?

Charles Morgan
Charles Morgan

I don't think Linux is for you, friend. Why don't you get a nice, user-friendly Macbook instead?

Gabriel Ward
Gabriel Ward

opensuse tumbleweed? thoughts?

Attached: 1536065392101.jpg (49 KB, 403x403)

Owen Reyes
Owen Reyes

Every takes extra steps and amazingly managed to break more than anything I've tried
?

Attached: 1519390980893.jpg (91 KB, 960x720)

Andrew Baker
Andrew Baker

Just installed this
I'm going to regret it right?

Attached: 1540218039256.jpg (470 KB, 1920x1080)

Noah Lee
Noah Lee

stop distrohopping
stop ricing

Josiah Turner
Josiah Turner

Stop being unfriendly.

Anthony Butler
Anthony Butler

Is there a more powerful more accurate file dupe finder then rmlint or fdupes?

Henry Sullivan
Henry Sullivan

There is literally nothing wrong with ricing.

Noah Rogers
Noah Rogers

fdupes is powerful as fuck, what do you want more?
Additionally to fdupes I use findimagedupes for finding visually similar images.

Isaac Price
Isaac Price

can someone unredpill me on systemd I want to switch to fedora 29

Tyler Davis
Tyler Davis

Debian Sid, Fedora, and Manjaro are fine. You don't have to distrohop. You don't have to run Arch or gentoo. You can run anything, but the beforementioned are pretty good in their own way.

Jaxson Murphy
Jaxson Murphy

Remind me why one would use or recommended Fedora.

Grayson Russell
Grayson Russell

Nigger just run systemd until some meltdown event happens.

Josiah Taylor
Josiah Taylor

Decently updated software and RedHat being relevant means they will continue with the development.

Thomas Thompson
Thomas Thompson

Is there a chart for pill colors? I only know the red and blue pill, but what is the black and brown pill? Is there a white pill, too?

Jaxson Cox
Jaxson Cox

just be yourself

John Thomas
John Thomas

what do you want more?
Its not finding any dupes.
I have a bunch of dupes in a folder to test it and its not picking anything up.
findimagedupes
I couldnt get this working. It would literally run for 12hours+ with no output and i had to kill it and it never did anything

Nicholas Lee
Nicholas Lee

Can't manage to make my usb wifi work (tp-link wn822n) in arch and ubuntu, apparently there is a issue with the driver and the solution was downloading this package aur.archlinux.org/packages/8192cu-dkms/?O=20&PP=10, whoever I'm new am not sure if I followed the correct installation stops. What I did was: download->makepkg -si ->ok->reboot. The problem is that it still doesn't work and I believe the downloaded driver (rtl8192cu) should be seen whenever I do a lsmod, whoever all I see is the old driver (rtl8xxxu) that should be blacklisted. Am I missing an extra step somewhere or is that how AUR packages are always installed?

Also, the issue that persists is that the wifi radius works, but when trying to connect to any SSID it fails and dmesg throws
send auth to (MAC) (try 1/3)
send auth to (MAC) (try 2/3)
send auth to (MAC) (try 3/3)
authentication with (MAC) timed out
I've tried networkmanager, netctl, wifi-menu, wap_supplicant and have no idea of what to do now, also the device works perfectly in windows.

Attached: 1531721477252.png (119 KB, 343x303)

Chase Bell
Chase Bell

try a real distro. arch and ubuntu suck for driver compatibility

Isaac Allen
Isaac Allen

No but seriously I try them and they dont work unless I spam my whole keyboard

and also what is interface? How do I connect my internet to it? The gnu vm guide is so fucking vague

Joseph Robinson
Joseph Robinson

Are you stupid. Distro doesn't matter, drivers run in Linux

Connor Turner
Connor Turner

Anyone ever used Spack? I need to use it to compile and manage things for a computational modeling project I'm working on.

Spack:
github.com/spack/spack
Cardioid (cardiac simulation suite I need to compile with Spack)
github.com/LLNL/cardioid

I'm a Linux newbie. Do I need to put Cardioid into the same folder as my Spack environment? I've been beating my head against the keyboard for days trying to get this to work.

Attached: helpme.png (180 KB, 1221x1200)

Joseph Gomez
Joseph Gomez

im talking about driver setup in the install process douche bag, Distros do it differently.

Benjamin Sullivan
Benjamin Sullivan

xrandr works with assigning, but now I'm seeing the right side of the monitor, just a slight line, with some flickering. I turned freesync on and off to no avail. This sucks.

Wyatt Collins
Wyatt Collins

I just tried it in fedora, it doesn't work either, as I'm rather new to linux I don't know what distros are good for drivers, at this point I'll attempt anything I just want to have wifi.

Attached: 1547656560112.png (392 KB, 1107x566)

Bentley Barnes
Bentley Barnes

I have a bunch of videos in a folder that i want to re-encode down from improper settings at record time. How can i find all of them that arent using a certain audio codec? I my case i'm looking for a way to mv files from the pwd to a new folder that were not encoded with libopus. I know mediainfo can give me this data but how do i then take that output and use it to tell mv what to do?

Jacob Rodriguez
Jacob Rodriguez

Gnome or KDE

Oliver Allen
Oliver Allen

never bothered getting into either
i use xfce btw

Blake King
Blake King

I know mediainfo can give me this data but how do i then take that output and use it to tell mv what to do?
Probably with the usual shell scripting and string manipulation helpers?

You probably start with grep or something to filter the ones with the wrong audio codecs, then you take the filenames and pass them to ffmpeg for reencoding or whatever.

Grayson Robinson
Grayson Robinson

the one that's not gnome

Sebastian Hall
Sebastian Hall

a little more background: I'm on kubuntu (pls no bully)

Kayden Rogers
Kayden Rogers

Is there a version of Linux with the windows 10 snapping capabilities?

Luke Bailey
Luke Bailey

You might want to try the ones that don't care much about shipping proprietary drivers.

Gentoo derivatives: Systemrescuecd, Sabayon.

John Rogers
John Rogers

not helpful yall frags where too slow any way, I flipped a coin and picked KDE

Brayden Phillips
Brayden Phillips

Snapping what? Window snapping? Don't both KDE Plasma and GNOME support that?

Also, automatic tiling WM snap even more and better - you don't even need to constantly push mouse.

Thomas Butler
Thomas Butler

windows 10

Attached: .png (1.03 MB, 1019x746)

Oliver Butler
Oliver Butler

Trying KDE right now and I like it.
Do miss the top corner activities from GNOME, but looking at the customization here and I'm sure there's something similar. Something that almost made me quit less than 10 minutes in was clicking steam on the desktop and the entire thing freezing to hell. Also the single clicking opening files on default is pretty dumb.

Joseph Baker
Joseph Baker

Windows snapping, specifically where it auto fits the window to a corner or side and asks if you want to fill in the empty space with another window. Really useful on a laptop.

Lincoln Parker
Lincoln Parker

It's the one good thing about that OS fuck off.

Blake Bailey
Blake Bailey

Ya, I use a tiling WM (awesome WM) for that, all windows "snap" into an easily changed layout (eg horizontal, vertical, spiral, overlap with small corners big center [...]) automatically.
You can also easily fullscreen or exclude them from this and all that.

Really useful on a laptop indeed, but then I also noticed I much prefer it that way on any desktop. Has been fine for like 6 years now.

Josiah Hughes
Josiah Hughes

Thanks!

Nathaniel Thomas
Nathaniel Thomas

(cont'd)

But yes, it's not a distro that you're looking for, but just the WM/DE that support this feature. Most of these can be installed under pretty much any distro.

Even if you prefer more tedious mouse pushing to fast keyboard control, it's still just the choice of WM/DE that matters.

Install KDE Plasma on Ubuntu if you want, or on Fedora, or on Gentoo.

Colton Adams
Colton Adams

Do I need swap space for my debian install?

Jason Peterson
Jason Peterson

I've already got my for loop with ffmpeg to encode them down,just need to find them out of hundreds of files.
How do i tell grep to output everything but "libopus"
I tried "mediainfo * | grep -Rv 'libopus'
but that didnt do anything relevant

Connor Hernandez
Connor Hernandez

I mean, can I just create swap space later? I'm working with 16gb of RAM on this machine.

William Wright
William Wright

everything but
That's -v on grep. Select non-matching lines

Christian Evans
Christian Evans

if you want you could later create a swap file rather than an entire partition
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Swap#Swap_file

Kayden Hill
Kayden Hill

(cont'd)
So basically, your issue is that, uh, what are you doing with -R, for example?

You're only operating grep on the text output piped in from mediainfo [which I don't have at hand to check right now], right?

Adrian Bennett
Adrian Bennett

I'm working with 16gb of RAM on this machine.
Probably not then, although the swap space could be used to do suspend-to-disk if you use that.

Leo Nelson
Leo Nelson

The -R 'should' recurse, unless ive mistaken the switch.
The -v should invert it so anything but the given string will be shown with grep
I'd like to have mediainfo run on every file in the folder,then grab all files that were not encoded with libopus,take this files and move them to a new folder

Jace Peterson
Jace Peterson

The -R 'should' recurse, unless ive mistaken the switch.
You cannot really recurse over the text output of mediainfo. (And what you're dealing with is text, not file objects or something)

The -v should invert it so anything but the given string will be shown with grep
Yes. If i do

ls | grep -v "dicks"
, the strings from ls (with the filenames) that contain "dicks" will not show up.

Wyatt Roberts
Wyatt Roberts

I'd like to have mediainfo run on every file in the folder,then grab all files that were not encoded with libopus,take this files and move them to a new folder
I guess I'd do a shell for loop over the individual files in a directory (shell has a function for that), if mediainfo | grep "libopus" has no result (shell also has the if no result function), move the current file.

But my in-browser shell-fu sucks, not gonna write this right now.

Jackson Myers
Jackson Myers

This isnt doing as intended,it isnt not showing the given string,its showing everything

mediainfo * | grep -v "libopus"

Carson Sanchez
Carson Sanchez

calls Fedora "alpha software"
guaranteed uses a distro with the same or newer packages

Blake Russell
Blake Russell

Works fine here. mediainfo * | grep -v "Matroska" shows all lines from the output but those with Matroska.

This is probably however not actually what you logically want with this approach, you probably want to use a for loop to go through files and detect if it HAS got a libopus line. Which will lead to individual files having either a resulting line with libopus or not - two states to easily filter by.
Otherwise you get x lines of output or x-1 lines of output, which is more annoying to filter by; I don't even know if that x is constant between files of the same type. Probably not.

Jeremiah Price
Jeremiah Price

mkdir bad_video
for i in *
do
ffprobe -v error -select_streams a -show_entries stream=codec_name \
-of default=noprint_wrappers=1:nokey=1 "$i" | grep -q opus || mv "$i" -t ./bad_video
done

Nathaniel Young
Nathaniel Young

wine's and one from github yes. Why?

Julian Garcia
Julian Garcia

How do I cp a directory while excluding certain files or patterns? Every stackoverflow answer says just use rsync, but rsyncs -u option is broken (it overwrites newer files if the filetypes differ so can't be used for bidirectional syncing without data loss.)

Brayden Evans
Brayden Evans

man bash
Look for Pattern Matching

Tyler Ortiz
Tyler Ortiz

globbing can't exclude arbitrary files from directories. I guess cp can't do what I want

Dominic Peterson
Dominic Peterson

why does alsamixer let me see and unmute 4 different sound channels from my graphics card. But the volume won't increase above zero and nothing seems to play. and there is no more information or errors to search for.

Nathaniel Miller
Nathaniel Miller

extglob should be able to do this, no?

Nathaniel Bennett
Nathaniel Bennett

find /path/to/folder ! -name '*name*' ! -name 'name' -exec cp {} /path/to/dest \;

there is also -path, see
man find

Ethan Howard
Ethan Howard

Yep. Example: List files but *.zip or *.iso

ls  !(*.zip|*.iso)

Not good enough?

Leo Miller
Leo Miller

working audio with no configuration necessary
feels good being a pulsechad

Landon Hall
Landon Hall

Why do people shit on Arch so much? I've been using it for about a month now and I don't really see anything super wrong with it. Like yeah it uses systemd and has a handful of insufferable users but so does every other distro and Windows and MacOS. Is there something I'm missing?

Liam Baker
Liam Baker

nevermind just needed to do some magic commands to figure out what card and device number to use. And put it in some config file. I'm still confused and can't change the volume but it seems to work.

Oliver Hughes
Oliver Hughes

zoomers don't like it because it's too hard/minimal. autists don't like it because it's not hard/minimal enough.

I love it, but it's definitely a hobbyist thing. I've thrown massively more time at configuring stuff than any real benefit. I enjoy it though. But I still don't have basic stuff working right.

I went for a year without bash completions because I didn't realize I had to install that seperately. I don't have SMART set up on this computer because it's some ridiculously complicated config syntax I don't feel like messing with. I've forgotten to install basic optional dependencies like hardware acceleration because it's very easy to miss. Hibernation doesn't work and I have no idea why. I don't even have a file manager.

Mostly it's because I'm lazy, but then what's the point of doing all this if it's not just fun?

Attached: 802426132135985254.jpg (138 KB, 327x512)

Anthony Turner
Anthony Turner

I've thrown massively more time at configuring stuff than any real benefit.

I haven't seen that side of it. I've been using it as my daily driver for the month or so I've been using it and I haven't really had to configure all that much post-installation. I spent the first day getting my WM set up the way I want it but after that it's been smooth sailing.

Andrew Evans
Andrew Evans

Debian users are the best users, prove me wrong.

not out to use a distro for cred
just want the most secure, best working distro out there for daily use and server use
knowledgeable enough to get around and configure their build how they like
choice of how much freedom they want, not balls deep in proprietary software but not about to hide it
just good, pragmatic common sense linux users
not manjaro/mint/ubuntu newbies

Kayden Bailey
Kayden Bailey

If you're not talking maymays on Jow Forums, that's also the Gentoo, Alpine, Nix/Guix and yes, even most Arch users.

Without making this a complete list of distros - the point is that the community-run distros basically do it for themselves and need to have a fair amount of people with the skills to do it.

Connor Kelly
Connor Kelly

how do you like it?

Nathaniel Nelson
Nathaniel Nelson

What other games have you tried to run? I've played Cuphead, Killing Floor 2 and The Witcher 3 via Steam Play, and they all ran at 60 FPS at max settings on a GTX 1080, along with a bit of Overwatch via Lutris.

Cameron Myers
Cameron Myers

So how is Debian install and general use supposed to be "harder" than Ubuntu-based distros?

Debian install and use is so fucking easy. The install is GUI and easy. Sure, you don't have some GUI app store to get some applications from, but in Debian you literally just add repos and apt install ______ for whatever you want.

What's the point of Ubuntu really?

David Peterson
David Peterson

gnuu~

Juan Morgan
Juan Morgan

Attached: debian-thong.png (76 KB, 897x389)

Lucas Price
Lucas Price

Attached: 1542370539171.png (373 KB, 1920x1080)

Blake Perry
Blake Perry

Better get a wifi dongle for that price and enjoy 100% free distros.

Brayden Wright
Brayden Wright

Is there a simple way to change lightdm resolution? All the solutions I'm finding is some black magic shit. Can't I just, you know, modify resolution in some config file and call it a day instead of making scripts that change the resolution at every start up?

Luis Scott
Luis Scott

why is it so hard to decide on a distro
they're all the same and yet i just can't

Asher Roberts
Asher Roberts

Opinions on ukuu to try different kernels?

Luis Moore
Luis Moore

Stick to Arch or Debian. There are no other distros.

Anthony Williams
Anthony Williams

pick one and try to use it for as long as you can
then write down reasons why that distro sucks and how switching to distro Y would magically solve all your problems
i use void btw

Nicholas Allen
Nicholas Allen

Debian (and its derivatives) or fedora. The other distros are just clunky tryhard shit.

James Bennett
James Bennett

you replied to wrong person retard

Andrew Hill
Andrew Hill

This is the 96th IP in the thread.
good interjection

Luke Hughes
Luke Hughes

No trannies.

Ian Martin
Ian Martin

why do you even need lightdm? what is wrong with logging in through console and using startx

Nicholas Nelson
Nicholas Nelson

I don't know, it came by default with manjaro cinnamon spin. It's just I bought a 2k screen and while cinnamon autodetected my new screen and put the right resolution, lightsm is still in 1080p, and when I start up the mouse pointeur is big and the resolution isn't right.

Kevin Wright
Kevin Wright

Isn't there just a lightdm.conf with a RESOLUTION= line I can set? Why something so complicated for such a small thing that you shouldn't even have to think about. Imagine windows would do this, this would be a recurring meme "AH AH MICROSHAFT WANGBLOW'S LOGGING SCREEN IS AT WRONG RESOLUTION" "WINCUX BTFO".

Elijah Anderson
Elijah Anderson

Your version is really old
install the package for realtek
on debian it would be firmware-realtek not sure about ubuntu or arch

Aiden Perry
Aiden Perry

Is it possible to remove systemd from an existing Arch install? Finding replacements for the init system and other things systemd manages

Attached: 1540248271375.png (117 KB, 2000x1499)

Asher Powell
Asher Powell

New thread:

Disable AdBlock to view this page

Disable AdBlock to view this page

Confirm your age

This website may contain content of an adult nature. If you are under the age of 18, if such content offends you or if it is illegal to view such content in your community, please EXIT.

Enter Exit

About Privacy

We use cookies to personalize content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyze our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our advertising and analytics partners.

Accept Exit