/spg/ - Smartphone General

LG G8 Edition

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good Resources:
>Reviews, Specs, Comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency Checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com
kimovil.com/en/frequency-checker

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Visual Phone Size Comparison
phonearena.com/phones/size

>Recommended Chinkphones
pastebin.com/sQbs83pY

>Post a Mini-Review of your Smartphone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone

Previous thread

Attached: lg_g8_thinq_blass.jpg (1600x1503, 273K)

Other urls found in this thread:

web.archive.org/web/20180903132409/https://www.sprint.com/en/landings/bring-your-own-phone.html
forum.xda-developers.com/idol-4s/help/howto-idol-4-6055-installing-twrp-t3486077
amazon.com/Tracfone-Motorola-Moto-Prepaid-Smartphone/dp/B07GC7YWCG/
kimovil.com/en/where-to-buy-redmi-note-7
anandtech.com/show/12520/the-galaxy-s9-review/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It's like posting in the middle of a tornado.

wtf is going on

Is android 8 worth it (moto g5s+)?
I don't want to roll back if it's shit

There used to be a list of unlocked phones that are compatible on Sprint's website but they removed it for some reason, you can still find it archived (under "How do I know if my device is eligible?"):
web.archive.org/web/20180903132409/https://www.sprint.com/en/landings/bring-your-own-phone.html

buy any of those phones, then

Any rooting guide for samsung?

Depends completely what model/variant you have, go to about "about phone" in the settings and tell us what the model number is

any rooting guide for Alcatel idol 4

forum.xda-developers.com/idol-4s/help/howto-idol-4-6055-installing-twrp-t3486077

WHERE THE FUCK ARE THE SMALL PHONES

Pray for XZ4 Compact

How can I allow for Brave to open links inside the browser in a Huawei phone? It's fucking insane, it only lets me copy the links of anything to the clipboard and the option to allow Brave to handle links is greyed out. I'm considering rooting it but I don't know what to do at this point.

Just a guess but have you tried making Brave the default browser?

>USA
>Verizon
>switching from iPhone 6

looking at the Moto Z3 (vzw site doesn't say Play (also what is even the difference)) because it's only 280 if i keep my contract with them
will it be a good entry to Android or should i go with a chinkfone instead (if so which one)

Get the Pixel 3 or 3 XL off Best Buy while it's $450 off

Yeah, that's the first thing I tried. I have Chrome disabled too.

>How can I allow for Brave to open links inside the browser in a Huawei phone?
You mean pic related feature?

Attached: Screenshot_20190214-112632.png (720x240, 49K)

No, I literally mean opening images or doing anything except copying a link. This is all I get when I long press a picture or a hyperlink. No option to open in a new tab, to save the content, nothing.

Attached: Screenshot_20190214-032905.jpg (1080x2160, 507K)

This is the best deal right now for burgers
Pixel 3 or bust, you cunts. These go for $950 here.

Ok, that's weird. Have you tried simply reinstalling it, or wipe the data and cache?

Yeah, like 3 times. I figured I should just set Brave to handle all links but this is what I get when I try to do it, the option is just blocked.

Attached: Screenshot_20190214-033725.jpg (1080x2160, 227K)

Forgot to mention the "some defaults" thing is because it's set as the default browser.

reg or XL tho
how much resolution is "wasted" by the notch?

i was hoping to get something cheap just in case i hate android as much as i think i do and don't feel like i'm wasting as much money if i drop it and eventually get iPhone XR instead

doesn't work

My honor 8 is breaking down. Thinking of buying a moto g7 plus.
Any reason why I shouldn't?

Regular obviously
the notch is HIDEOUS, don't fall for it plox

but yeah if you don't want it, get the XR. Buy what you like

I think the app links is an unrelated setting, I've also got it greyed out but Brave is working fine. Maybe it's a permissions issue (though I haven't given any on my phone and it still works fine).

Anyone have experience with Xiaomi Dreami store on aliexpress?

Motorola phones are trash since Lenovo bought them, the G7 Plus is way to expensive considering the specs, Redmi Note 5 is similar/better for half the price. If you've got 300€ to spend just get a Pocophone.

Well fuck me, I just got an apk of the previous version (1.0.72) and it works fine. Guess I'll just use Icecat until they roll out the new one. Thanks a lot, user.

Just in case anyone is having the same problem. It keeps working even if you update it. Apparently the trick is to get the system to grant permission from an older APK.

Don't forget lenovo phones have 2x better specs and are priced cheaper than motorola phones.
If obly they had U.S. bands.
Just use kiwi browser, it shits on that trash ass brave garbo.
Firefox has an incognito browser that's very light if you want to shitpost.

Thanks, I'll check it out. It looks pretty promising.

I have a G4 currently and my last phone was a G2. Should I get this phone or hold out for the G16?

I see in the pastebin that the Zenfone Max Pro M1 is recommended. Can someone confirm this recommendation or is it based on specs?
How about rooting? I remember the Zenfone 2 from a couple of years ago was quite a hassle to root and it wouldn't disable automatic updates so it bricked pretty much by itself.

>notch with top bezel
STOP IT
STOP THAT RIGHT NOW

>LG
More like LGBT amirite? Lmao

What's the poorfag (sub $100 USD) pick? I'm wondering if its worth moving from my 1st gen Moto G (8gb 3G) to anything but another 1st gen Moto G (8gb 4G and a microsd slot).
Carrier support doesn't matter, I only use this as a music player/PDA.

Attached: 46295020_332060057378068_2559511375070557446_n.jpg (640x640, 49K)

You're in the US? Get a Moto E5 prepaid for $60, or Moto G6 Play prepaid for $100.

Should I upgrade from OnePlus 3 to OnePlus 6T for $500? Or would a better investment be OnePlus 5T for about $150 less?

I'm just really sick of the shitty malfunctioning camera on my OP3.

>that dpi

Attached: ohjpzh6v9gg21.jpg (1006x1024, 84K)

I have the 5T and I cna only say that the camera doesn't have OIS. So it's not as good as on the 3T. I'm using a custom rom, though.

I have no idea what the OIS does, but I use a OnePlus 3, not 3T.

Do you mean the e5 cruise? Nobody seems to have the normal e5 and the cruise just looks like a spec bumped 1st gen g.
At least it isn't the play go and its 480p screen.

How is lelnovo doing in regards to bloat? It seems none of the E5s have working lineage.

amazon.com/Tracfone-Motorola-Moto-Prepaid-Smartphone/dp/B07GC7YWCG/

100% honest man, if you want an ebin camera get the S9+. It's got a grand camera, absolutely amazing stuff and I'm sure prices will fall further in a week or two when the S10 phones start selling.

It isn't really anything special. Fennec F-Droid and IceCat Mobile offer full extension support on the other hand.

It's Optical Image Stabilization, basically eliminates any blur or problems caused by shaky hands. It's a real joy, especially in recording videos.

At least two anons here bought it, so they'll probably chime in to share their experiences. Zenfone two had one of those Intel catastrophies nobody supported, this one has a Qualcomm CPU so rooting should be really easy.

But you can't even hide or disable the notch on the XR and you're still considering it. And why do you care about "resolution being wasted by the notch" when the XR has a sub 1080p display? You're really not wise at all.

>How about rooting?
Asus has an official bootloader unlocking tool now so getting rooted is real simple shit now

I use it, it's ebin
got the 4/64 variant for $157. Everything is super fast and snappy, no lag, no problems. I use stock but I riced it and it's all good, I get 13 hours SoT off a full charge. Gcam lets it take good photos, great photos in proper lighting. You'll love it. Plus, no notch!

That seems to be a custom hardware version made especially for tracfone. Looking around, XDA says its locked to hell and can't be rooted.

Saw this on XDA:
>Carriers such as Verizon, TracFone, AT&T and AT&T subsidiary Cricket, are notorious for excluding their branded devices from bootloader unlocking support. Motorola/Lenovo fully supports bootloader unlocking and user-end development on its smartphones and tablets. Unfortunately, on carrier branded devices such as yours, the decision as to the bootloader status is the unfettered prerogative of the carrier.
>With Motorola smartphones and tablets, if you plan on rooting, customizing, tinkering, etc., it is best to get either a factory unlocked retail model or the Sprint compatible (Boost, Virgin, TextNow, etc.) model. With those device variants, unlocking your bootloader is fully supported.
I checked and Boost has the Moto G6 Play and E5 Play at

Redmi Note 6 Pro vs. Redmi Note 5

Is the extra money for the note 6 pro worth it?

not if you plan on unlocking the bootloader/root/flashing the phone

wait for global version of Redmi Note 7 / Note 7 Pro

notchshit vs normal display
slightly better camera on the 6 Pro

Anyone else waiting on redmi note 7 pro version? I really want to know if there will be a us compatible version. I just want a riced out chikphone please.

what do you mean? Is there something about the note 6 pro, or do you mean chink phones in general?
Why? I'm poor.
Notch really turns me off.

Get the Zenfone Max Pro M1, then. Same processor as the Note 6 Pro and it isn't notched.

note 6 pro doesnt have the sheer amount of developer support the RN5 whyred has

>Regular obviously
Not with that battery life.

How bad is it? The Pixel 2 phones had good batteries.

My budget is 250$ max, btw. Would rather settle for around 200$ but if something is really good I'd go that high.
How is the experience of using LineageOS? Does it feel like a stable experience or does it feel like you're beta testing something?

i am still rocking a s7 edge. is there anything i am missing out on? i kind of want a new phone but no single model is really sticking out as the phone to get. any advice? android only please

If Xiaomi is planning to enter the US market you can be certain they won't bring the Redmi line at first. Consider the Mix2S, it's probably not much more expensive right now and works with US carriers.

honestly i wouldnt know about lineage
ive used AEX and currently on Havoc OS with the InsiguiX kernel and some other tweaks and it works great

I use stock, look at xda, I'm sure it's stable and perfect.
those specs are good, change it when it stops working.

What phone should I get if I don't want to spend over 200 bucks and my top priority is sound quality?
I don't mind chink stuff.

Redmi Note 5 Whyred or Asus Zenfone Max Pro M1
unlock the bootloader/flash twrp, root and then flash the latest Viper4Android off XDA Labs

>$150 to $300 - Zenfone Max Pro M1/M2, Mi A2 Lite, Redmi 6/Note 6 Pro, Mi 8 Lite, Moto X4, Moto G6

Thank you.
My only reference when it comes to audio quality was the LG V20.

Pretty sure you're getting a downgrade then

pie sucks, oreo was pretty damn comfy

Thanks friendos. Ordered it after reading your comments.

Why is it so expensive? Will the price drop?

Attached: Screenshot_2019-02-14 Redmi note 7 in Cell phones - Online Shopping GearBest com.png (778x811, 566K)

It already is dropping, check the price history in the top right:
kimovil.com/en/where-to-buy-redmi-note-7

so what will the global version with 6GB RAM cost once it's widely available? Because if it's ~250€ the Pocophone would probably be the better choice right?

Got a note8, why is it so long? Why is the edge round?

V20 is pretty much peak for phone audio, there are some chinkphone with high quality audio like Vivo Xplay 6 and Meizu Pro 5, but they're not much of an upgrade, if at all audio wise, and the same spec wise.

I don't think the 6GB version will be that expensive, if they even make a global version with 6GB RAM (with Note 5 and Note 6 Pro they didn't). If you look at the launch prices in China, Redmi Note 5 launched with the following pricing:
>CNY 1,099 (~$162) for the 3GB/32GB model
>CNY 1,399 (~$207) for the 4GB/64GB model
>CNY 1,699 (~$251) for the 6GB/64GB model

The launch prices for Redmi Note 7:
>CNY 999 (~$147) for the 3GB/32GB model
>CNY 1,199 (~$177) for the 4GB/64GB model
>CNY 1,399 (~$207) for the 6GB/64GB model

And since the MSRP for the 4GB/64GB Redmi Note 5 was around 200€ in Europe, I'd expect the 6GB/64GB Redmi Note 7 be around the same price.

Redmi 5a

Pixel 3 is 2915 mAh, Pixel 3 XL is 3430 mAh.
Pixel 3 battery is better than Pixel 2, but Pixel 3 XL is worse than Pixel 2 XL.

No. My wife's G5+ went from 12+ hours of screen on time to 5 hours. That alone makes it NOT worth it at all.

Battery degrading is normal though

I bought a Samsung s9 good choice?

And is a s9 plus worth the extra £130

Is 4gb of ram enough for a modern phone

>12+ hrs screen on time
ive owned a G5+ and thats bullshit

Is 4gb of ram enough I bought a Samsung s9 and the 4gb and not 6gb is giving me a huge case of buyers remorse

You couldn't wait less than a week for the S10 announcement on Feb 20th? Even if you're not going to buy it, the prices for S9 will drop.

What a shitshow
better battery life gets you a fucking notch

I got it on contract anyway I wouldn't have the cash to buy it outright and didn't want to spend like £45 a month on a contract' paying £23 a month for the s9 for 2 years with data texts and calls altogether will come to around £630

Get the S9+, what on earth is wrong with you fucks
the S9 is garbage.

bad price boyo
could have gotten a better deal in just 1-2 more weeks. I can get a Note 9 for 630 quid here

It was cheaper, yeah I probably messed up didn't realise it was only 4gb on the s9 and 6gb on the plus. I guess the plus is worth the extra £130?

Like i literally just said I wouldn't be buying it outright it's on contract

should have got something with 6GB RAM and SD845. The Galaxy S9 sold in the UK has the shitty Exynos processor which is inferior in every way to the Snapdragon 845 in the US version, with slower performance and worse battery life:
anandtech.com/show/12520/the-galaxy-s9-review/

It's not just the extra gb, you get a better battery and a secondary lens on the back that lets you zoom properly.