I find it bizarre that people use the term "coding" to mean programming. For decades...

I find it bizarre that people use the term "coding" to mean programming. For decades, we used the word "coding" for the work of low-level staff in a business programming team. The designer would write a detailed flow chart, then the "coders" would write code to implement the flow chart. This is quite different from what we did and do in the hacker community -- with us, one person designs the program and writes its code as a single activity.

Attached: stallman.jpg (1200x1800, 508K)

People who say coding instead of programming just copy off stack overflow.

I'd argue that you're only coding when your writing stuff that's never intended to be compiled. Stuff like JS or Python is "coding", as you are merely telling another program what to do, and "scripting" is a much more apt name anyway. Programming is telling the machine what to do more directly.

I'd argue that you should read about engine, compiler and scope of porgramming language as to not sound like a moron

saying you are a coder or a programmer to me says you have no formal computer science education or are an entry level employee. i would always call myself software engineer, developer or architect depending on the exact job. coding/programming seems to me like a hobby

>i would always call myself software engineer, developer or architect
that says to me you're a pompous twit

Those sound very pretentious and borderline fedora tipping atheist speak
>Hello M'lady, I am a senior software engineer who applies logical and critical thinking skills on a daily basis. Would you like to hear about my last debate with a creationist on reddit?
Coding comes off as some meth addict (Which is what 99% of silicon valley "coders" are). Programmer comes off as more neutral and pretty descriptive in laymans terms.

i mean, sure. in reality i'm a programmer most of the time or just sit around and surf. but in a professional setting it certainly sounds alot better and people give you alot more money

In a professional environment, sure, use corporate speak. But outside, it's a bit on the pretentious side.

How was I wrong? While I know it all gets executed by the computer I'm saying that having a file that is parsed and executed and cannot do so without the help of the interpreter always being present is "scripting".

Powerful.

>For decades, we used the word "coding" for the work of low-level staff in a business programming team.
And nothing has changed since then. Coders are just being honest about themselves.

Coding is shorter than programming and also gives off a less of a "faggot nerd" vibe.

Just call it computing or pewtin.

I'm a software architect. I don't "code", I innovate.

Attached: frog.jpg (499x499, 44K)

>Hey user, why haven't you made any commits in the last few days?
I'm too busy innovating.

You are a mongloid

he's right though. coder/programmer means some kiddo who hacks together webpages with JS or writes shit in python. Software engineer means you have a solid grounding in algorithms and good software design principles as well as understanding how your code transforms via compiler into interactions with hardware.

>he's right though. coder/programmer means some kiddo who hacks together webpages with JS or writes shit in python. Software engineer means you have a solid grounding in algorithms and good software design principles as well as understanding how your code transforms via compiler into interactions with hardware.
What if I fit the description for both? I'm well educated in algorithms. I write compilers and make recreational stuff in JavaScript and use a lot of Python.

I go by "code artisan" these days

Jesus Christ, even after I told you, you still didn't bother to google shit

Personally I am an Integrated Circuit Herder.
Some watch over and guide their flock of sheep,
I do this with Integrated Circuits.