PLEX

Alright, so my download speed is 50 Mbps (6 MB/s) and my upload speed is 25 Mbps (3MB/s). I'm using PLEX locally, not remotely - I stream movies and shows to my Samsung TV. From what I've gathered, connection speed is irrelevant when playing shit locally. Then why the fuck does the stream buffer constantly?! Why can't I stream full HD files smoothly? Should I limit the maximum video quality further? Right now it's at 1080p 8Mbps.

Attached: apps.56729.13510798887965458.26bd76f4-0678-49b6-a1ac-f253f3eef06d.jpg (1920x1080, 56K)

There's a thing called transcoding. Check your cpu utilization or buy a plex pass and enable hardware acceleration (if possible).

Are you sure something on your network isn't the bottleneck?
Like your TV's shitty integrated wifi, or your router's wifi?

Plex does shitty "real-time" transcoding because nothing can play mkvs containing h.264 hi10 video in 20 fucking 19.

Why a Plex pass? AFAIK the only time I have ever paid anything to Plex was so I could stream from outside the local network on the Android client and it was a one-time $5 fee.

Plex has been getting pretty shitty for local libraries. Default it tries to talk to Plex.tv even for local content. If your internet is down it will throw errors half the time. You can of course enter your local address manually. The new clients look like ass and are painful to use. I started running Emby side by side till I get used to it and it's miles ahead of Plex. Hell just an email about plex on VDAY for some music stuff and how I can integrate fkin TIDAL of all things. Spotify? Nope. Local library of music? Nope. Third party plugins fkin gone. Here are some shitty web show channels that Plex picks for you. Podcasts? Here is a list of what Plex likes. Want to put your own feeds in? Okay but only to certain degrees because they release half baked features that plugins handled better. You would think Plex clients on Rokus and other devices would be akin to Kodi/XBMC now but nope. They still limit you based on hardware instead of being agnostic and making the client a touch heavier to play everything direct.

You don't need the pass. Just go to tge settings and set video quality as high as possible, preferably direct play

Oh and I totally forgot that if you dislike anything or have an issue good fkin luck on the plex forums. Tough shit Plex will do what it wants even if 99% of the base doesn't likey. Devs are douchebags as is the company.

I'm sure some of us already know that Plex is a botnet but even Emby is now too. Hopefully Jellyfin will save us

Imagine actually signing up for and using a plex account that's not even needed for local playback

>jellyfin
I'll take a look at that as well. Emby seems pretty nice and comfy though. It's loads ahead of Plex. Last I checked Emby was hardly even close to Plex in terms of functionality back in the day. Today though it's pretty polished and the devs are quick to respond to issues. Control over the actual media server not to mention how it looks in clients is nice. Dunno why plex let that shit regress where now you have to setup each fkin client on it's own. Retarded.

your wireless network is probably shit and slow
I also have samsung tv and playback starts almost instantly.
also use gpu transcoding on server side
it works much better than cpu transcoding

the best solution is to use windows pc with plex media player (beta) instead of samsung internal media player

What GPU thought?

And how the fuck do you enable GPU transcoding with plex?

>From what I've gathered, connection speed is irrelevant when playing shit locally
wrong.
if your wifi sucks it can affect it, also consider your range.
>why the fuck does the stream buffer constantly?! Why can't I stream full HD files smoothly? Should I limit the maximum video quality further? Right now it's at 1080p 8Mbps.
it's because you're transcoding instead of direct playing the file.
By lowering the quality you're telling whatever server you're hosting on to convert the file in real time.
The server might not be strong enough to do this faster than the playback speed of the video.

Also consider your Samsung TV might have shit codec support and be forcing your server to transcode to a format it can play.

Attached: 1534504991026.jpg (380x432, 39K)

>the devs are quick to respond to issues
they've been sitting on issues for years without fixing them.

Emby is way worse than Plex, at least Plex' liftetime subscription is actually lifetime and not fucking *2 years or next major version*.
They also don't force ads on the dashboard or worst of all put a timer on your own videos before you can watch them.
Fuck Emby, I hope Jellyfin prospers.

Does emby automatically fix your library file names and get the covers as good as plex does?

Just use Kodi with SMB to your Windows PC or NFS for Linux. Your TV is likely capable of direct play.

Plex is useful for streaming to phones. I don't see why people use it with their TV. A pretty library with cover art?

It's because cross-device playback position resuming is flaky at best on Kodi.
You can use addons to sync it to a website and back but it's pretty shitty.

If you go to Kodi for that directplay goodness you can just use the Plex official addon, then you get all the pretty art and the position-resume on weak hardware like a raspberry pi with no transcode required.

what client are you using? if you are using the one built into your samsung tv that is the cause. it's shit. go buy a roku 3 or better and connect it via gigabit ethernet.

fucking no one needs ethernet to stream movies.

>h264 h10
i wonder why

whatever you say bandwidthlet

you can get gigabit over wifi, the main reason to go for Ethernet would be reliability and more importantly latency which is mostly irrelevant for video streaming.

>reliability
>rrelevant for video streaming

and why would ethernet be an issue to you when you likely already have internet appliances that use ethernet (like a console system) already at your TV. running cord isn't hard and reliability is 100% worth it.

>latency which is mostly irrelevant for video streaming.

Not when it comes to how responsive you want your video scrubbing. And proper 4k and 8k sources push how much bw is needed for video playback (forget fake 4k like on Netflix)

Which model of television? Apparently some of the lower end models are incapable of playing high quality files properly because of the hardware.

no one takes multiplayer seriously on consoles and I guarantee that wifi is the most popular way for people to connect game consoles.

Not many people want to wire ethernet through their walls and it's largely pointless to.
OPs problem is most likely he doesn't realize lowering the stream quality is forcing transcoding, what you actually want is "maximum quality" which is likely far less bandwidth than gigabit.

on server side I have gtx1060 and it’s more efficient in transcoding than cpu i7-5960x

I have no idea about Emby's issues as I only checked in on it off and on over the years. My biggest experience is recently in the last couple months. I like it compared to Plex (how it is in it's current form). I'll look into jellyfin later and see what's up. I'll have to lookup the issues you describe. I know on the free version it puts a lil ad about the pass or whatever. I haven't seen any of that other stuff though. Thanks for the heads up.
I don't know about renaming files as I use sonarr/radarr/sabnzbd to manage file names. Covers and other metadata Emby does much much better IMO. Background art everything. Default client shows some of that off well enough. There are themes from the looks of it but I haven't tried or looked into it too much since I'm just testing it in the home. Emby handles collections way better. Ton of things seem to be better on Emby IMO. I serve 8 other households with content plus some friends who login as well. I'm on gigabit here so YMMV. I still have my users on Plex but every single one has complained about Plex off and on and especially now when they made the mobile ugly shitty UI on Rokus etc.
Plex doesn't have pretty art anymore. Background art is gone now as are banners etc. No theme support. It's all one big grey/brown blobby mobile looking mess. Kodi still provides the most visually stunning frontends.

it also probably looks like shit

You can't use direct streaming if you are on a different subnet unless you configure local networks in the settings.
I had this issue when I set it up before and put the plex server in its own subnet.

pay plex pass

"you can get gigabit over wifi"

no... you can't

I have an old 2600k system I use still. GPU wise I tried a 600 series I had laying around a while back and it was awful.

>I haven't seen any of that other stuff though.
they literally put a timer in the android app so if you clicked on your own video to play it there would be a clock that ticked down before it started playback.
It doesn't seem to be present anymore but it's one of the most pathetic ways to monetize a consumer server product I've ever seen.
Emby deserve to get fucked over just based on how shitty they act.

yes way, fag.

Attached: 1537591878290.jpg (624x498, 164K)

Barely anything except desktop will decode anything but yuv420P main (high if you're lucky). It's fucking bullshit. Not even browsers will do Hi10P, nevermind anything really nice like Hi422P. So unless you're watching everything in mpv you're destine to get homeless-tier encodes from shitty profiles and shitty ultrafast presets.

>multiplayer seriously on consoles

who gives a shit about mp. it's the 70gb updates that routinely get pushed to your machine that makes ethernet worth it, pleb.

>imagine doing all these mental gymnastics to justify not running ethernet

get the fuck off Jow Forums seriously

Attached: 1505501444318.png (731x720, 352K)

no it looks the same transcoding is transcoding
this I need only for samsung tv but for my tv Pio kuro I use another PC also with gtx1060 and plex media player which use MPV and in that case transcoding is not needed anymore

That explains why I haven't seen it. I was primarily looking at STB clients and not the mobile app. I did play around with it personally but only music so far. That sounds fucking ridiculous to me. Why would they do that shit?

>who gives a shit about mp. it's the 70gb updates that routinely get pushed to your machine that makes ethernet worth it, pleb.
the only game worth owning on console hasn't been updated in forever so I guess I can't share your experience there.
AC wifi is definitely fast enough for your drm box to download updates in the background, you're going to be bottlenecked by Sony's shitty servers before you get bottlenecked by your local network.

GPUs don't have the precision to transcode very accurately, so you either have to bump up the bitrate to compensate (larger files) or endure a lower quality. CPU is the best for getting that sweet high quality/filesize.

>to download updates in the background,

i'm literally on the floor laughing at how dumb you are

Attached: hurr wifi gud durrr.gif (595x335, 2.57M)

I like to keep my old hardware running. My server is a 2600k so tossing in a 1060 seems like overkill unless there is a huge performance increase. I'd rather spend that money on some external 8TB WD drives when on sale and increase my pools but that's me. Love making my older stuff do work.

>Sony's shitty servers before you get bottlenecked by your local network.

I've got fibre and can literally download most large updates in a couple minutes. Must suck to be poor.

that's how consoles work, keep pretending wifi somehow isn't good now.

To be fair I have a gigabit (fiber to my office) here in Florida and it's 65 bucks a month

You don't need a gpu in your plex server. i run headless and don't even have a kb or monitor connected to mine. I just RDP into it when I need to tweak something.

>calls people poor
>bought Fallout 76
yikes

5G wifi 802.11ac support up to 1300 Mbps

That's what I do currently and have been doing. My 2600k has freenas on it since Plex seems to handle more streams on a Linux derivitive than Windows. Plus the filesystems are better than NTFShit.

Even if you've got a quad band setup the consistency of your wifi bandwidth will automatically be limited by your router's shitty firmware and the slowest device connected to your router. So enjoy pretending you can download anything as fast as gigabit ethernet on your wifi, bandwidthlet

Only if it's the only router in a mile area

I'm sure those new fallout costumes will be well worth the effort, thank goodness you can download all 70GB of them at breakneck speed!

I gave up on wireless long ago and just ran cat5 then replaced with cat6 a year or so ago. Life is much better. Wireless is segregated now for mobile users and things like a console (wii softmodded or handhelds).

>WTB Plex that streams 4k
heh good luck kiddo

Attached: 1527535615143.jpg (1226x296, 30K)

>mfw first thing i did after moving into my house was run CAT6 all over
this is out of date, the netgear switch was replaced and i'm up to 14 outlets or so.

Attached: IMG_20170730_163259.jpg (1000x750, 218K)

HURRR WIFI GUD, FALLOUT 76 BAD
HURRR U BUY FALLOUT 76 HURRR
I WIN HURR

Attached: WIFI TARD.png (310x285, 60K)

fuck plex
>eat 100% cpu
>litteraly botnet remote hole

>knows he won't be able to name a single good game that requires large patches so he doesn't even try
better luck next time, kiddo.

Attached: 1523886544110.png (649x678, 297K)

heh nice pic but that linksys router really kills it for me.

It's only used as my wireless access point, which barely anything run on. the meme ER-X is the main router, seen next to the modem.

most games I've played on PC the larger updates are at best 500mb-1.5gb depending on ifit's an update/dlc/xpac etc. not a console pleb so no clue how they fare but I know they don't come with good hard drives or plentiful space.

i personally block internet access to my plex box. i only turn it on when one of my clients updates and needs to phone home again before being able to talk to the box