/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Previous thread
>Read

>GNU/Linux questions?
>PC building?
>Programming questions?
>Good, cheap, laptops?
>Cheap electronics?
>How to activate any version of windows?
>Where can I get Win 7 or LTSB?
pastebin.com/smjvLZN4
pastebin.com/quC0gz4j
pastebin.com/gHCCFBkt
pastebin.com/4LvsAFk7

Attached: nuzzleboys.png (498x606, 321K)

Other urls found in this thread:

video.stackexchange.com/questions/20399/whats-the-best-way-to-convert-mp4-to-avi
gparted.org/liveusb.php
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Mechanical_keyboards
amazon.co.uk/Fusion5-11-6-Full-Laptop-Computer/dp/B07HB744Y1/ref=sr_1_6?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1550173817&sr=1-6&keywords=laptop
amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004FPQL0E/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01MG1MP73/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B015VPX2EO/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01ARGVNV6/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01BIWKUVC/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B018XP3AI2/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005OPLG0O/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00647K8MI/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4987
youtube.com/watch?v=mPiVBTomR3s
youtu.be/f0X7cYNF9eg?t=209
youtube.com/watch?v=CouxmNqxO4A
support.google.com/youtube/answer/6224202?hl=en
twitter.com/AnonBabble

What is the best text editor on windows? Main features I want are good markdown editor, good for webdev, syntax highlighting for most major languages

Atom is probably one of the best for that, although a bit bloated due to being written in Electron. Still, it would do pretty much everything you want either out of the box or with some extension.

Thank you user I will give it a try, don't mind bloat my pc is a monster

Attached: dogbowl.gif (320x180, 1.84M)

Fuck off faggot you don't just force thread obsolescence. Sage.

I have an old computer with a pentium 4 processor, 1 Gb of RAM and a 160Gb hard disk. Is there anything interesting I can do with it?

I liked it better when there were shotas in the OP.

Attached: 153467925236.jpg (806x950, 132K)

Why are you so mad, user?
There is a current "SQT", but even that says to redirect to the actual sqt for longer questions.

I guess you could make it into a really power-inefficient router/firewall box. Also I'll try to have something cuter next time

I like how hpg isnt listed. We are too autistic to help anyone

What are the requested to playback 8k video?

I'm trying to convert my old PC into something I can use as a NAS/ Seedbox/ Plex Server. I was thinking of using unraid, but I have no experience with this sort of thing. Does anyone have a better solution?

Also, I have a lot of drives of various sizes and I realized that I bought a full-sized card when I upgraded that PC and had to remove part of the drive bay to make it fit. How bad would it be if I just kind of mounted the part I took out to say a piece of plywood and just set it on my cabinet with sata cables out in the open?

Attached: 1339712395076.jpg (550x400, 39K)

>unraid
>*looks it up*
what the fuck is this proprietary fuckshit?
user, try FreeNAS or OpenMediaVault. Those are free as in cost and free as in freedom and privacy. They'll probably work much better as well.

My closed loop CPU temps are running pretty high. They're at 70C, I've got a i74790k @4.0 ghz with a Cosair H80i.

My first thoughts were maybe theres a dust problem, so I looked and they was quite the buildup of dust on the radiator. So I cleared that out and the temps improved to 65C.

Now, the next morning, There was an update on my system (win 8.1), After the update my CPU temps were 25C - 30C which was a huge improvement. Ran like that all day long.

Now today its back up to 70C. What gives? Should I redo the thermal paste? I think I installed this in only 2016 - 2017.

Attached: hot CPU.jpg (557x495, 67K)

Can someone who has taked the CCNA test share their experience?

why the fuck cant i shrink this shit any more?
what's a free software to fix this dumb shit?

Attached: wtf.jpg (435x768, 69K)

/fglt/ is not answering my question, so I might try here.
I have OpenRCT2 on my computer, but everytime I want to start the game, I have to open a "shared library" through the terminal.
I'm a beginner and I have no clue how to turn this into an executable file.

Does someone know what to do?

Attached: blinkot.jpg (960x960, 143K)

I don't know if this is the place to ask this but I need to get a new WiFi USB adapter and I don't know which one to buy.

I'm pretty shit at computers so all I really know about my current one is that it's constantly stopping and starting and when I troubleshoot it just says "the default gateway was not open" before working for another 5 minutes.

Any advice on this would be extremely helpful. Thank you.

that doesnt sound like dongle issue. borrow a dongle from someone and call your ISP

I need a side printed keycaps for my filco 104 keys. What are some good options? I prefer black keycaps but if I see some cool colors that is fine too

How do I make myself more interesting? Trying to get a GF but I’m 30.

If it makes you feel better, I like the girls in the OP of your threads.

Attached: 1541270768841.png (370x320, 21K)

For some reason it's always been that way. Use parted magic

How the fuck do I convert an mp4 file into an avi or something without downloading some scam program

ye i got some other software. but then fucking clonezilla is too stupid to just copy over everything except the unallocated shit and im too lazy to do all the steps for it so using another software for that now, hope it works.

>2012+7
>AVI
die in a fire, grandpa

Try ffmpeg. ffmpeg -i inputFile.mp4 -q:v 6 outputFile.avi or with different q values if you need better quality.
video.stackexchange.com/questions/20399/whats-the-best-way-to-convert-mp4-to-avi

I have chromium installed and I can't get windows to use it as default browser. When I go into settings it only gives me those fucking options. What can I do? (Don't ask about botnet chrome I don't use it)

Attached: change http.jpg (1191x417, 77K)

>parted magic
based and linuxpilled, although gparted alone does offer a live system that is free, so that's there if you don't feel like paying for something.
gparted.org/liveusb.php
>hpg has cute girls
>sqt has cute boys
It's neat when threads are themed

I didn't see a mkg, so I'll ask here. Are there mechanical keys which dont CLICK CLACK really loud? I've only heard blues in real life, and they were pretty noticable. I'd like to try a mech keyboard, but I wear open backed headphones and at night there are people sleeping in the room next to me, and I think the clickety clack of the blues would get annoying fast.

How do you prune dead threads in clover?

yes. wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Mechanical_keyboards

I need to send an application video and they only accept avi which kinda leaves me no choice

Just swoosh them away to the side.

>It's neat when threads are themed
Yep.
If the OP of the /sqt/ is a frog or wojack poster I simply don't enter it to help.

Yeah clonezilla is not ideal. Macrium reflect does that though. Also auto handles SSD alignment.

Pfsense

do you really want to work for such a backwards company?
even fucking uploading to youtube and giving them a link to that is way more convenient.

ah good to hear, macrium was the one i ended up using. at least now im less worried i got infected by malware for installing random software

There's things called o-rings that can quiet the keeb a bit. Also MX reds and browns are quieter. Browns still have that tactile bump, but no clicky sound to it, and reds are a straight up and down, just a clack as it hits the bottom. The bottoming-out clack is what the o-rings are for.

It's for dealing with them one by one.
I'm curious if I can prune all the archived ones in one action.

Don't think you can. Aside from removing all bookmarked threads.
Curb your hoarding

Nevermind, try going into settings and enabling the thread watcher.
Then the clear bookmark button should (potentially) only remove dead threads. Unless held down.

Please help

Sublime Text + markdown plugin. Atom does take longer to load than MS Word but try both. There is always Notepad++.
Sounds more like a coin miner to me. Idle temps shouldn't be higher than 40°C. Running a H100i v2 & 3770k for two years with stock thermal paste and it's like new. I would reinstall or at least dual boot for a day and keep an eye on the temps.
It was easy.
Check out powerlan before you buy a wifi dongle. Maybe it's for you.
Lern to play guitar.

Neat. Thanks

What the fuck do i do lads? it's an external toshiba hdd

is this ETA for real?
I did a gui check last night for error checking and it found the errors but then when i went to disk repair it ran all night and i checked it now and it was stuck on it so i did it this way so i can at least see the progress

Attached: oVYT0U[1].png (987x477, 55K)

Anyone has experince with Ubiquiti devices?
Specifically Power Beam M5, How can you backup the firmware that's already installed?
I've got access to the Power Beam managment GUI, as well as telnett and SSH.
As for why?
>be me
>Internet connection is very slow
>contact my WISP
>says I need to ""upgrade" my equipment
>buy a new power beam for 100$
>install it myself
>can't connect
>my WISP says he need to come over
>WISP get surprised that I've set it correctly
>I even managed to get "compliance test" country somehow
>he flashed his firmware
>same version but with "license" as country
>fiddles with his phone
>now I got connection
>charges 100$ as installation fee
As far as I could tell the "license" and "compliance test" are just way to get the output power to reach 26 dBm.
I suspect he just was blocking the MAC address of my AP, the firmware he installed is buggy, the PPPOE keeps restarting making me lose connection.
I want to test by flashing different firmware, but I need to back the old firmware first.
As for the "compliance test" it can be created with a simple touch command using SSH.
Any idea?

Attached: 43705871_307513396734091_7035106942718620181_n.jpg (640x800, 47K)

What's a good android phone game I can play during my breaks at work that don't require internet connection? I'm playing a chess game but I get bombarded with cancerious ads between matches. Does there exist some ebook or PDF reader for phones too with a save function so I could read a book instead and when I reopen it later it remembers what page I was last on.

Attached: 1485984556433.jpg (800x799, 127K)

Thanks senpais.

My computer died and I think it's my motherboard. It turns on, the power supply is running, the lights on my graphics card are working, but I can't get any signal on my monitor through a normal cable or HDMI. Is there a way to know for sure it's my motherboard, and if it is how much should I be paying for a reasonably functional but not super over the top replacement?

Attached: 1440604479651.jpg (852x480, 31K)

Are IT jobs more laid back than jobs involving software development/engineering? I want a tech job, but not one that will consume my entire life.

Not too awful, but it varies heavily almost entirely on what company you work for, who your boss is and how closely you interact with people your company services

What the fuck is the practical difference between dx11 and dx12

Are refurbished monitors(without dead pixels) worth buying?

How do I check on my emerge and how it's doing? I've had my laptop emerging since last night and it's still on the first package. I looked in /var/log/portage, but nothing has updated since last night.

IT seems like the true redpill. A lot of Jow Forums programmer anons seem really depressed for some reason

From what I hear, being a full-time developer is really mentally draining. I'm going for IT, but am going more for implementation or testing things than being the developer.

Thinking of selling my PC. How much could I get for this? I'd like to buy a cheap laptop just for browsing chans and internet stuff etc and watching things, often with people in Cytube. What would be a good laptop to get?

amazon.co.uk/Fusion5-11-6-Full-Laptop-Computer/dp/B07HB744Y1/ref=sr_1_6?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1550173817&sr=1-6&keywords=laptop

Would this be fine?

Case
amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004FPQL0E/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
GPU
amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01MG1MP73/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
CPU
amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B015VPX2EO/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
CPU Fan
amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01ARGVNV6/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
RAM
amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01BIWKUVC/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Motherboard
amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B018XP3AI2/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Monitor
amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005OPLG0O/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
PSU
amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00647K8MI/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Has a couple of case fans I got off Amazon too. Can't find them though since I got them off someone elses Amazon account and don't remember what they were.

PSU is from 2012, so is the case.
CPU and it's cooler, the RAM and motherboard are from January 2017.
Monitor is from 2014.
GPU is from March 2018.

Suppose I have an unsigned int d encoding the binary representation of a signed 32bit floating point number.

How can I check if d encodes NaN using only binary operators [& | ! ^ ~ >] and operators I can put in a logical if [||, &&, ==, arithmetic comparisons, etc] (though ideally without these last ones).

Attached: 25552375_1956243534695831_8025190190196999202_n.jpg (528x626, 49K)

Hey everybody, so I was wondering if setting my monitor refresh rate to 60.0010 would fuck up anything. Will it? Or will that be okay?

I use a bluetooth keyboard on my PC, after I restart it I can't type my password because on the login screen the drivers aren't loaded yet. Will I really have to plug the cable everytime i sign in?

Attached: 1523253078908.jpg (680x797, 109K)

Drivers don't only load after someone logs in, that's the entire point of them being available early at boot time.
Seems more like it's set up wrong or didn't reconnect properly.

I used to use a bluetooth mouse and keyboard for years before I was fed up with random disconnects.

I want to relocate my M.2 drive from under my gpu to someplace else
is there anything that would let me do that?

Attached: 49181227_2279507535394200_7347616147740557312_n.png (720x960, 1.02M)

NaN is inf exponent with nonzero mantissa right?
I'd say something like
int exp = (d >> mantissa_width) & ~(~0

I restarted my computer and it worked now. That's strange because this morning it didn't work at all, it might have happened because I just arrived home after almost two months and the computer didn't got powered on at this time. Thanks by the way.

I have Solidworks installed on my old computer from college

Is there a way to take this install and move it to another computer?

Solidworks is very expensive y'know, hence why I ask

Attached: 96784db947ed1c6f0fb4139bdcfc86e0.jpg (658x558, 59K)

Fuck you all. I figured it out myself. Just had to make a symbolic link to /bin/ to make it executable through dmenu.

How can I protect from SYS flood attacks?
tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4987

protect myself*

How do I achieve this fuzzy vhs audio effect? youtube.com/watch?v=mPiVBTomR3s
Here's the original, for reference. It starts at 3:29 youtu.be/f0X7cYNF9eg?t=209

What software is best for bluray playback? Since MPC just gives me 'cannot render the file'

How the fuck do I properly dual boot windows 10 and Linux mint without fucking everything up

Hey Jow Forums whats your go tool for secure erase an empty hard drive? nothing too crazy, just a simple random pass on every bit of the drive to delete my documents and sell this disk on amazon or something. Bonus point if I can pause it, restart the pc and keep going where I left.

I updated to the latest driver for my 1060 and it wound up being an unstable piece of shit that crashed and recovered on a nearly daily basis. I rolled back to the non-shit one, but what are some possible explanations for it not working as intended on my machine?

I'm attempting to make some cash working as a freelance tech support/web design/hardware repairman on the side.

I'd also like to know how to create plans for installing security systems for customers. I've had some ideas for cheap plans with laptop cameras, or expensive plans with proper security cameras, but I have no idea how to connect these to a hub(server). Cheap options I can only think of a rasberry pi with an SD card changed every other day, expensive option would be a home server with a WD purple drive. What do I use for software? USB cables running along the house can be dangerous, no? Do I need to use a USB repeater every 30m or something?

I've had a little luck on Gumtree, but I don't want to freak my customers out by dropping the spaghetti IRL. I still need to print business cards but i'm not much of a graphic designer on GIMP.

What do I do as far as organizing and promoting my business goes? I'm talking about drafting quotes and presenting my business online.

The actual work itself is mundane and simple and I can handle it, but i'm not getting many hits back to make some serious cash.

Attached: 1534714482306.png (512x512, 157K)

saw this the other day
youtube.com/watch?v=CouxmNqxO4A

>IT seems like the true redpill
Are you trying to imply IT makes them depressed or that software dev does?

how does a switch know the difference between 192.168.17.21/24 and 192.168.17.21/26

Yeah I saw that too. Sourcing old laptops and expansion cards are hard. I suppose I could just roll that into the price for the customer and quote them for it. I still don't know how to solder if a customer wants more than 4 cameras. Still, surprising picture quality for a shitty laptop camera.

Where would I go about buying removed laptop cameras, or shitty laptops to use as a surveillance hub?

If you mean switch as in a pure L2 switch, they don't use IP addressing.

But if you mean a L3 switch or a router, iirc they can't tell the difference. There's an overlap in subnets, since the /24 subnet includes the smaller /26 subnet. You'd have routing issues.

thank you

>new graphics card randomly crashes sometimes (not consistently) when I lock my screen or while I'm playing Nioh, but never at any other time
>Event Viewer says something like "AMD driver crashed and recovered", but it doesn't actually recover; my monitors say "no input found" until I reset the computer, even if I leave it on for hours after the crash
>this goes on for a few months
>one day, I happen to let off some static on the computer case
>graphics card crashes INSTANTLY
Is this problem being caused by bad grounding or something? I'm using a random Insignia surge protector. Should I just plug my computer directly into the wall?

I have an HP LaserJet M1212nf printer that supports manual double sided printing, however when I try to print a multi page document from my computer running Fedora 29 I don't get an option to double side print, only single side
How can I get it to work?

Attached: 36AD75D3-728C-4A8A-9ED0-ABCB654E8CA6.gif (600x600, 622K)

I'm troubleshooting an HP probook with Windows 10 with constant 100 disk usage. I have tried all tips available by Google such as prefetch, search service, defrag and many other. I have tried to do a clean boot to determine the culprit but the usage is at 100 even during clean boot. I have updated the drivers, checked disk health using both Windows and third party tools and all state the disk is healthy. Ran antivirus and came clean. The boot times are painfully long as well sometimes waiting with blackscreen during welcome screen.

Anybody could provide some further assistance?

For Discord users: Does Discord keep´thumbnail images from other people's posts in my machine, like cookies? Is there a way I can stop that from happening, and deleting the existing ones?

Attached: 698564cce5c63b7781a7a2eaadc53add--film-big-film-serie.jpg (500x700, 54K)

What are my options for subscribing to a YouTube channel without having a YouTube account?

Attached: 1514573520161.jpg (716x716, 170K)

newpipe

RSS Feed
support.google.com/youtube/answer/6224202?hl=en

where do i go to get help figuring out a mixer+etc audio setup for streaming?

I need help with a resume. Should I include the occasional (1-2 hours every other week) IT/tech support work I've done for a local business on my resume.

if it's relevant yes
you don't have to be so very specific though
just say Part Time job at IT/tech support for

ty

software devs.

I've never been in IT but ive worked 5 years in a few areas of the software "engineering" lifecycle. My dev experience was pretty obnoxious, with stupid pressures and business requirements that kept changing on managerial whims. My testing experience was so-so: automated testing can be satisfying and less business-y (your customer is the team), or it can be awful if you're stuck somewhere with backwards ideas towards testing (a lot of places) or where culturally testers are considered people who couldn't make it in dev (a lot of places). Managing software department infrastructure (internal crap, build systems, etc) wasn't too bad, though i havent done a full-time devops role.

I too often wonder if i should try out some more IT-type stuff if it's more relaxing, i really don't care about business.

How do I stop windows from un-disabling sound devices (my crappy monitor speakers) and defaulting to them, instead of my decent speakers plugged directly into the stereo out jack on the mobo? Its super annoying and inconvenient to keep having to disable the sound devices I don't want to use over and over and over and over.

How do I increase the global count from within the run function?

def threaded_smash():

THREADLOCK = threading.Lock()
GLOBAL_COUNT = 0
INSTANCES = 2

for i in range(INSTANCES):

with THREADLOCK:
thread = threading.Thread(target=run(GLOBAL_COUNT))
thread.start()

print(GLOBAL_COUNT)

threaded_smash()

worste lang makes an appearance

not even wrong

I'm trying to download a mod from romhacking.net but it keeps saying I have to be human. What the hell am I doing wrong?

GNS3 is telling me to "make sure GNS3 and VMware run under the same user."

Dumb question, but how do I check this? I'm running everything under the same instance.

heeeeelp

help what?