Can this be true?

Can this be true?
It was in my spam. If I sent mail to myself it does not go to the soam tho.

Attached: received_1071400553048276~2.png (813x458, 28K)

Other urls found in this thread:

cybereason.com/blog/information-stealing-malware-targeting-brazil
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Can this be true?
yes, but it isn't.

kind regards,
infosec guy

(essentially what has happened is that your login leaked, and this scammer is pretending to have further access to your computer. this is not the case. lots of bullshit in that mail, as well as no evidence)

Well, thank you then

they also alude to the from, but checking the actual mail headers would be more useful

huh
>My nickmane in darknet is The0j0xion
last time I saw it it was somethingHitler, cyberhitler?

It's obviously fake but it is proven further by the fact that there are only vague examples like "intimate websites" and nothing specific

some dumb normalfag might actually believe this. i think that their target is women but the pajeets somehow sent it to me too.

Attached: 1549964585657.png (1014x710, 105K)

It is possible to send an email with a "spoofed" sender address.

this
2 years or so back gmail tagged emails sent to yourself as "notes" (or smth like that) so i spoofed the mail of a friend of mine and spammed his mailbox with hundreds of empty mails
he wasnt amused to say the least

The "From" line is provided by the sender of an email and can be set manually. The email "coming" from your mail box is meaningless.

This mail is as fake as they come. Here's why:

>Someone who had all this power over you wouldn't tell you about it, they'd use it.

>Moreover, they'd shake your chains if they had any holding you. If they had footage of you like they claimed, they'd attach a screenshot or two to the email, a password or two, a picture of family members you'd never posted on the internet, a snippet of your browsing history, or ANYTHING that'd indicate that they provably had your ass.

>This is the digital equivalent of "I know something you don't know, give me money and I won't say it!".

Treat it the same way you'd respond to it in real life, ignore it because that's stupid.

Your response should be:
>Run a virus scanner on your machine as a precautionary check (I like Avast and Malwarebytes on windows), and once it inevitably tells you you're clean, change your passwords.
>Do not send any money, because they have nothing and EVEN IF THEY DO (they don't) blackmail is a subscription, not a one-off. If you pay out once, they know you'll pay out again later. Better to come clean.
>Do not send a reply and report the message to your mail provider. Google and other mail firms work with major governmental agencies to investigate morons who do this stuff.

Best of luck OP

is this place full of redditors or something? why would a thread like this get multiple serious long replies

As much as I support your post there's one thing
>Run a virus scanner on your machine as a precautionary check (I like Avast [...]

>The spam campaign gained momentum towards the end of 2018 and was identified in thousands of incidents. In a short period of time, the attackers made dramatic changes to the process that improved its attack significantly. In the version of the malware we obtained, we noticed four unique, key differentiators from previous versions.

>[...]
> This version injects a malicious module into one of Avast's processes, whereas early versions of the campaign detected Avast and quit. As Avast is the most common antivirus software in the world, this is an effective evasive strategy.

from here cybereason.com/blog/information-stealing-malware-targeting-brazil

Just answer
>bruh my PC doesn't even have a webcam

ask him for proof, make him send one of the snapshots

Yeah, this is why I suggested two scanners, I figure one's got a decent chance of catching the other if it was fucked with. Redundancy's pretty great.

Yeah, but mostly 'cause you're in thread.

I long reply shit like this because lets be honest, ambient levels of tech literacy on Jow Forums's often kinda low, and I'd like to think explaining why attacks like this are stupid and how to deal with them will equip some user to avoid it, or prevent it happening to their grandma or something in the future

This, what was his name again?

literally just check the headers and see that the email didn't actually originate from your server

>Google and other mail firms work with major governmental agencies to investigate morons who do this stuff.
really? even for such low-bar social engineering?

Jokes on him.
You have no friends for him to blackmail you with!
Amirite?

Found it

Attached: Screenshot_2019-02-14 g - Technology - Search webhitler.png (1248x1896, 303K)

thanks

Attached: lolbear.jpg (320x240, 18K)

I received many emails like those, to email addresses that appeared in earlier leaks from Dropbox, btc-e and other platforms.

Nothing to worry about.

Sometimes they put your old passwords in there, if you didn't change those good luck.

And the original mail, which is the exact same as

Attached: 1540414640437[1].png (1006x804, 141K)

but why are you doing it? i would not since im not paid to do tech support here but some people type huge text walls in random shitpost threads instead of hiding the thread or telling them to go to sqt or some other thread that already exist for dumb questions like this.

Yup.

Low bar is often the beginning of high bar attacks, happens on large scales (example of things that happen: someone obtains list of 2M emails, "Low bar" attacks the entire list via botnet, gets something like a 0.5% success rate, and therefore makes 10k * price charged, here, $850, which is 8.5 million dollars), plus these attacks disproportionately hurt the poor and elderly. Everyone feels pretty good about taking a shit on those kind of operations.

I dunno, I'm bored and I can?

>hurr why are you not only capable of pure shitposting in threads like myself?
Go be a nigger elsewhere

Дeцa пoд oceмнaдeceт нe бивa дa пoлзвaт caйтa.

>Can this be true?
>It was in my spam. If I sent mail to myself it does not go to the soam tho.
It's spam, they send you a mail with a custom header to make it look like you sent it, it's a generic mail, don't trust it.

He didn't hack you, don't worry.

>abv.bg
found the Bulgarian
btw nothing to worry about that email is just pasta. happened to a friend of mine who got threatened with "I have pictures of you from your webcam" while his PC doesn't even have one.

Attached: image0-375.jpg (562x620, 46K)

>kidney surgery on a preemie
what

sounds like a poo created it