What are the best of the best C++ books Jow Forums?

what are the best of the best C++ books Jow Forums?

Attached: 51SY8H6pf9L._SX361_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (363x499, 34K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.cppreference.com/w/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

SICP.

>SICP
scip isn't Cpp you tranny

>effective C++
>effective modern C++ (the sequel, can't remember the name)
>C++ primer 5th ed

those were the ones that got me going, how updated is OP's book btw? does it cover C++17+?

The C++ Standard Library: A Tutorial and Reference by Josuttis
Effective C++: 55 Specific Ways to Improve Your Programs and Designs by Scott Meyers
Effective Modern C++: 42 Specific Ways to Improve Your Use of C++11 and C++14 by Scott Meyers
The C++ Programming Language by Stroustrup

Attached: c++ programming starter pack.png (1861x1760, 2.71M)

>how updated is OP's book btw? does it cover C++17+?

There is a new edition for 2017 but the first edition set the tone

>Released Feb 10, 2019
>No amazon reviews
>Already on libgen

kek

Attached: 964d3bbccec3e9d5a845b0bb8ba56eb8-d.jpg (399x499, 28K)

why would I use concurrency in c++?
sure you get a lot of options and it's fast,
but with shared memory it takes so much overhead to make c++ safe to use.
not to forget, system threads are pretty heavy weight so you can only have a couple thousand before the os buckles.

I'd rather write a concurrent program in say erlang/otp where I get closed off and light weight processes for basically free, making the code short and easy to maintain while being able to handle millions of different tasks at once.
there's (almost) no need to bother about race conditions or locks in general since process communication happens via message passing.
and since the vm is written in c, you also get decent execution times.

don't get me wrong, I like using c++, but I like using the right tools for the job more.

>but I like using the right tools for the job

Spotted the CS major

Attached: 1546936412073.jpg (645x729, 57K)

because you make more money if your webserver runs faster

Oh guys I have tons of books. Share more please, I want download them all, ah

>so you can only have a couple thousand before the os buckles.

That's cool I only need one per core.

>lol look at that pleb that does not use machine code for everything

I asked in dpt, but I'll try here too. Is there a good modern learning C++ for programmers book? Like Accelerated C++, but using current preferred idioms rather than C++98?

What are some good open source C++ projects that are worth looking at? Preferably ones that aren't monolithic (i.e. chromium).

Is it any good? Threading libs have come a long way since c++11.

qbittorrent is written in C++

If you already know a programming language, Bjarne Stroustrup's Tour of C++ (Second Ed) will give you a quickstart guide with the newest features.

Attached: 1420177771641.gif (500x334, 982K)

>and since the vm is written in c, you also get decent execution times.
That argument doesn't hold up both from a theoretical standpoint and a practical one (used Erlang before, it's nice but also slow as fuck).

>hurr just use message passing instead of shared memory
You do realize that message passing only solves a subset of use-cases for threads, right? The ones where you don't need to share large amounts of memory because good luck passing around hundreds of megabytes of data in messages lmao.

>>effective C++
>>effective modern C++ (the sequel, can't remember the name)

Those are both by Scott Meyers, probably the all-time greatest teacher on fundamental C++ usage. He announced his retirement from C++ a few years ago, so there will be no sequels covering C++17/20/...

Herb Sutter, who made the Exception C++ series, is still active in the language community (most at the committee level for future feature enhancements), but his most widely read books (if not all of them?) are all pre-C++11.

>Herb Sutter

Him and Bjarne are coauthoring the C++ Core Guidelines. Not really a book, but it's about as modern as C++ gets.

>Scott Meyers
He did write Effective Modern C++, but the end product was kind of a mess. Seems like he got taken by the TMP wave and couldn't figure out if he wanted to provide an off-ramp for C++03 users or go deep diving into type system craziness that makes up a sizeable chunk of modern C++.

protip: just start reading and writing actual programs

you can spend months doing nothing but reading books and in the end you'll learn less than the guy who just learned the basics in an afternoon and wrote a tic-tac-toe game

Best book for beginners? I've completed a beginner book for Python, so I have foundational programming knowledge like data types and functions, but I have zero experience with C++.

lmao, just learn to use en.cppreference.com/w/

going to be honest here senpai, youtube video tutorials are the best way to learn

Professional C++ is fully up to date and assumes you know how to program in c or c++. It's a very good book that no one recommends.

Anyone in participar?

Not him howecer chernoproject is a good channel to start, he isn't an indian who talks weird and makes decent content

just look for any video where the guy has an indian accent or sounds like he's 12

That's good for graphical stuff, but not for programming. With written stuff, it's much easier to go back to a specific topic if you notice that you didn't really understand all of it and it usually goes much more into detail. Also, books are written by actual experts who put a lot of time into getting it exactly right, while some gaylord on youtube will probably teach you to write shitty code.

probably Guidelines for the use of the
C++14 language in critical and
safety-related systems

Attached: 1517687331383.jpg (683x1024, 168K)

any good beginner tutorials on how to make an mmorpg in c++?

>understand all the commonly used C++ features and syntax
>no idea how to write a non-trivial program

Attached: 1531534194934.jpg (630x611, 73K)

m8, it's easy

>think of something you want to program
>write down exactly what the program should do
>write code that does it
>expect your code to be absolute trash
>think about why your code is trash
>think really hard about why your code is trash
>once you can concisely explain why it's trash, think really hard about how it could be less trash
>now repeat the process with another program and try not to make the same mistakes

Any good books on how to write programming interfaces with C/C++?

Attached: 1536613190364.gif (480x270, 1.63M)

chess engines