/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™!
>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60 (check lcd), X60(s/t.), X200(s/t. -s requires soldering), T400(s), T500, W500.

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, socketed CPU, quadcore-compatible
>T520/T530, W520/W530 - 15", 1080p, desktop replacement
>T440s/T450s - best price/performance ultraportable
>T440p, T540p, W540/1 - last models with socketed processors

Upgraded models:
>X210 - X200/X201, i5 8250U quadcore
>X62 - X61, i5 5250U
>T70 - T60, i7 7700HQ
High-res IPS displays, USB 3.0, M.2 x4, mini-DP
forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=117

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate niggers swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

Helpful links:
>Buyers guide:
dankpads.com/tpg/
>thinkpad-tech-tree.txt - a plaintext map of ThinkPad history:
github.com/Monkeyfume/thinkpad-tech-tree/blob/master/thinkpad-tech-tree.txt
>ThinkWiki - info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>Coreboot compatibility list:
coreboot.org/status/board-status.html
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: rmsthinkpad.jpg (640x480, 68K)

Other urls found in this thread:

userbenchmark.com/UserRun/14746826
twitter.com/AnonBabble

rms is a scam

Attached: 1342028260520.jpg (900x675, 138K)

Some pinche mayatero on E-Goy just purchased an X60 with dock for $321

Attached: chinga-tu-madre.png (456x119, 37K)

Is rms using a w500? Thats pretty huge.

Attached: IMG_20190215_224556.jpg (1280x720, 512K)

It has the old IBM logo so it has to be a T60 or maybe some older model.

I don't know what the model is, but it's older than a W500..

T60p?

It's an X60 most likely. Was one of the first models to receive RYF certification from the FSF. Also has no trackpad. Probably given to him by Leah Rowe, the founder of the Libreboot project who operates Minifree (formerly Gluglug).

idk, I like my x250 more than my t420s and x220.
1 ram slot isn't so bad, since I still have 16gb of RAM. IPS display is really nice. It's really really nice.

>T60 had an RS-232 on the back!

Attached: Jellylet.png (200x202, 10K)

this pic is of a T22 and matches the ports on the back of rms' thinkpad in the OP pic, so he could be using a T22, T21, or T20 (T23 added a second USB port on the back; 600X looks completely different on the back)

Attached: 28016909627_f76f2f46d1_h.jpg (1600x1200, 412K)

>or maybe some older model.
I don't know much about older thinkpads please educate us.

see
(that's me)

>w520 replacement charger costs $40

The W520 chargers are odd because the port on the laptop has those notches, but a W520 can accept a W510 charger (which may be cheaper).

You can also live on the edge, and use a lesser PSU but add a resistor to the center pin to trick it into thinking it's the 135 or 170w PSU.

where are you located? I have an extra one

Sister needs a laptop for her TAFE course. Too poor to afford a second hand mac, doesn't want x220 terrorist look. Does Lenovo make any think pads that have that sleek modern design but aren't anywhere near as overpriced as a mac?

post your oku

>trying to make contact with Jow Forums people
What could possibly go wrong?
Also, has some user managed to get fingerprint, ambient light and and other sensors working on Elitebook 2760p under GNU/Linux? And possibly libreboot

I'd like to upgrade my t430 with an I7 cpu.
I can't decide between the 35W i7–3632QM and the 45W i7–3840QM

The latter one is overclockable and has higher clockspeeds but it runs hotter so I imagine I have to upgrade my heatsink.
So is the second one worth it? Or do I just stay with 35W and have no cooling issues and longer battery life.

Only the newer ones AFAIK
Which are overpriced.

Damn. Would an x250 for 350 kangaroo bucks be okay? ($250 USD)

The X250 is fine, just be sure to get one with (or install one later) a 1080p panel and maybe the i7 for some extra oomph.

This is probably a dumb question but I noticed that some X series tablets have normal bezels and others have flat bezels. Which is considered better?

Can this be done?

Everything can be done if you're brave enough. Doing it fine not so much

Is the x60 really still usable?

Would use it for web browsing (should handle more then 15tabs), PDF and Office/latex stuff.

>still usable
it only depends on how low are your standards

X230 with i7-3520M, 8GB RAM and 180GB SSD for €230/$260, worth it?
(Please note that this is outside of both the US and the UK, so it's a bit more expensive overall)

>ThinkPad ships from China
>China
Uh

Is it atleast some modded version?

Yes I customized it. Is this to be expected or did I fuck up?

For the record, I ordered directly from Lenovo's US site.

So a new thinkpad? I meant something like those custom motherboard ones from OP's post.

Yes, sorry for the confusion.

Has anyone every DIY'd an empty battery case to save weight? I rarely need to use battery power, and my X200 is much lighter without one fitted. I basically want an empty battery as a blank (it would sit right without). Also, any lightweight charger options?

just got my x240, the keyboard is pretty cool but the trackpad is an abomination, i used to use the middle click on my x220 and here its so bad, but overall im pretty happy w/ it

Attached: photo_4577458451060316892.jpg (3000x4000, 3.03M)

embrace the nipple

I'm sure there's someone out there that's done it but I doubt it's a very common mod.
The 60W one I carry around is a pretty light charger but I think there's a 45W option too.

Luckily the trackpad can be fixed by replacing it with a X250 one.

trackpad is fine if you're coming from something that's not a thinkpad.

x201 cutest thinkpad

Attached: 1550162927717589.jpg (2017x1699, 2.49M)

Aside from an external GPU hookup, what are some fun things to do with my Expresscard slot?

I will, but I need to blur the gradients together.

Any specific models recommended for Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook that can be compared to Thinkpads?

Attached: C5BFEA6C-1D15-4A96-BB19-23C6CF9040D0.jpg (1000x900, 351K)

Help please

Why do so many of you prefer the x2** models over t450s?

I've never bid on an Ebay auction in my life, I've only ever used our local 2nd hand site. For regular auctions it basically all comes down to the last few seconds, right?
Do these "buy now or best offer" listings ever accept your offers, or will these resellers only accept like a 5 euro discount at most?

Any further input on this would be appreciated. I thought Jow Forums was all anti-botnet but these are shipped straight out of china?

chinks spy
burgers spy

Lenovo is a chinese company

Yes it's a decent price. Upgrade to 16 GB ram and you're golden. If you prefer the 7 row keyboard from the x220 get that instead and upgrade to 16 GB ram.

So on a board who loves to jerk off about free software and being outside of a botnet, you're all using Chinese laptops?

Yes.

Something seems backwards here. I legitimately cannot tell if everyone knows something I do not or if I am retarded.

What do I need to do to get more out of this pice of shit igpu? I have even force installed the adrenaline drivers for vega 8 ... .
userbenchmark.com/UserRun/14746826

Attached: 2019-02-16 18_32_40-Lenovo 81D2 Performance Results - UserBenchmark.png (1196x513, 47K)

Every laptop is made in china.
I for one welcome our new chinese overlords.

Where would I get WiFi hardware information for Thinkpad L412? Linux screen freezes few minutes after connecting to wifi

Is an X230 with i5-3230M good or should I wait for one with i5-3320M? Is the difference even noticable in daily use?

Nothing different except higher iGPU stock frequency by 100MHz. It's still a dual core. You notice big gains from quadcore models.

What are the major differences between the *30 and *40 models? Mostly thinking about battery life, how hot they get and how loud they are. I'm assuming the X and T versions of a particular number are pretty close in that regard too, or am I wrong?

If I'm not mistaken the X1 line is the most similar to EliteBoom/ZBook, Latitude/Precision. I have a X1C 1st gen, and I hasn't failed me.

So paying extra for an X230 with i5-3320M or i7 isn't worth it?

Attached: IMG_20190215_204712478.jpg (4032x3024, 2.49M)

So it's really not surprising or a problem at all that a new ThinkPad from Lenovo was made and shipped from China. And the used laptops mostly everyone has here were all made in China as well?

yes

> I am retarded.
There's your answer m8.
ifconfig in terminal?
What do you want to do? Even if manufacturers have every department headquarted in the west would have production in the east...Its all about the shekels.

Is a X250 with 8gb ram and 256 ssd for about 175 euro a good deal? I haven't really looked at any *50 series yet since I've been shopping for either an x230/240 or t440p so far.

Yeah that's solid.

So a W520 (and hence W530) chargers don't work on other models then?

It's probably not worth it for a T430 to get that 45W CPU, I doubt there's a fitting heatsink for it and the internal space is likely too small to flow air around. I have a T530 with that 3840QM CPU, it can go 3.6Ghz all 8 cores with the standard dGPU heatsink.

The x60 can't use more than 3gb, find an x61

Not really, especially most of the time the i7 on these models are just name only, they're still dual core

So then there is no guarantee, ever, that there isn't some backdoor bullshit because everything is made in the east?

which x series thinkpad has the best battery life (with the regular slice, not the 9 cell one)

Yes, everything ever made is out to get you, better go hide in a cave forever or just kys

Yes. The hardware is backdoored by China/Israel/Usa.
The software is backdoored by Usa

Sadly, yeah. Hopefully ARM get more widespread, among other things like replacing BIOS...

>I don't know much about older thinkpads
Last ThinkPad to have a parallel port was T43

>absolutely giganto-enormous
>its an X60 most likely

: ^ |

examples?

Please tell me where to find this 1400x1050

probably the x250-x260 or something newer

only it's resolution is too low imo

because theyre smaller what kind of question even is this like seriously user

Unless you made a laptop completely by yourself there's no guarantee of what's inside of it.
Just because it's made in the west doesn't guarantee anything it's not backdoored either.
The chinese did make a laptop with fully free BIOS and drivers so not everything is botnet just because it's Chinese.

Attached: 1545945120756.jpg (610x400, 42K)

>The x60 can't use more than 3gb, find an x61
x61 cant be librebooted

>Hopefully ARM get more widespread
So trade one botnet CPU for another. Super duper

>trannyboot

I'm thinking of picking up a T420. How well do you guys think it would serve as my main pc?

For reference, pic related is my current specs

Attached: 2019-02-16-175324_695x252_scrot.png (695x252, 12K)

get the 900p and get a fresh battery from lenovo before they EOL

>sudo neofetch
y_tho.jpg
T420 is a nice machine though so I'd say go for it.

I have a Yoga 260

Deaded power/shutdown issue. Does anyone know what hardware is broken?

also don't expect much from gaming

not him, but I do that so the username doesnt show up

What should I put in the ExpressCard slot of my X200s? Thinking USB3...

My regular neofetch config doesn't show as much info anymore and I cba changing it. So I run it as root for default config.

I don't really use my pc for gaming so that isn't much of an issue.

I was definitely going to go for the 900p screen. 1366x768 is starting to feel too cramped.

I have 3000 dollars what should I buy

Attached: 71874223_p0.jpg (1085x1329, 449K)

I guess that's one way but in the future it's better to edit ~/.config/neofetch/config.conf and remove or comment out the line that says info title

T400

x230 classic keyboard ips 16 gb ram

Attached: snake_sipp.gif (270x188, 1.78M)

I had one back in school and I must say, the T420 was fantastic. I had a similar machine to what you currently have and the jump to a T420 was massive.

more info

You seem to think that ordering from any other OEM is somehow different.