/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Previous thread
>Read
>GNU/Linux questions?
>PC building?
>Programming questions?
>Good, cheap, laptops?
>Cheap electronics?
>How to activate any version of windows?
>Where can I get Win 7 or LTSB?
pastebin.com/smjvLZN4
pastebin.com/quC0gz4j
pastebin.com/gHCCFBkt
pastebin.com/4LvsAFk7

Attached: kissykissy.jpg (500x462, 38K)

Other urls found in this thread:

dummies.com/computers/operating-systems/windows-xp-vista/how-to-disable-unnecessary-services-in-windows-7/
howtoguides.org/disable-windows-7-indexing
blackviper.com/service-configurations/black-vipers-windows-7-service-pack-1-service-configurations/
ntnglobal.com/en/products/instruction/mounting/index.html
github.com/gorhill/uBlock/releases/tag/firefox-legacy-1.16.4.8
help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories/Ubuntu
linux.die.net/man/8/ss
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Is there a way in Windows 10 to install programs for your user account that doesn't show up in other accountss? In Windows 7 you just selected "For this user only" but that option doesn't appear.

I'm wanting to install Steam to my account but not to show up on the other user accounts.

Attached: 51616861_414016682678643_7912481442708621033_n.jpg (1080x810, 98K)

i have to run W7 in virtual on a pretty old computer. any tutorial how to completely minimize its cpu/ram usage while still maintaining the basic functions of an OS + internet?

Can I rename shutdown to shut it down?

Attached: sid.jpg (166x145, 3K)

When you say in virtual do you mean "in a type 1 hypervisor" like ESXi? If so the answer assign is 1 vCPU and don't provision much RAM while limiting swap. Also kill unnecessary services. However windows 7 for internet is an awful idea and you would be better off with any current Linux distro.

Reposting here, didnt see that the last thread was almost at max. Anyone have any ideas?

i mean virtual machine
it has to be windows for reasons
>Also kill unnecessary services
yeah, i figured out that much. i'm asking which ones

I don't think steam lets you do a user install. Only system install. You could restrict other users from running it but if you're trying to hide it you might want to get your own computer.

That being said you could install it, then remove it from all user's desktop and start menu and then people would only notice if they tried to figure out what's eating all the disk space.

Do cherry MX red keyboards without backlighting exist anymore? All I can find is rainbow backlit monstrosities.

Attached: e.png (540x536, 209K)

thanks i'll do that

dummies.com/computers/operating-systems/windows-xp-vista/how-to-disable-unnecessary-services-in-windows-7/

also

howtoguides.org/disable-windows-7-indexing

Keep it simple because you're going to be reinstalling every time you hit a popup since it probably rootkited you even with A/V

>please understand NO MORE SECURITY PATCHES

goodluck. it's hard to find mechanical keyboards that aren't cancer

what about scheduled tasks? i know that windows likes to run 1000 things in the background and there's like 20 different places to visit to disable them all

I have a majestouch 2, pretty comfy desu

Reposting from last thread.

First question: I'm prepping for a VPN and VLAN sequestering of my network. I'm going to run the VPN through the router. My wife is not going to drop the botnets on her phone. Is there a way I can use the VPN only for my network and throw her phone on the guest network without it so I don't have her de-anonymizing my VPN? If not, any suggestions short of killing her?

Second question: Anyone have any experience with climate controlled server racks? Was looking at eventually putting a server in my basement in the furnace room but the boiler makes that room an easy 80F in the winter. Would also ideally like a sealed server rack as well to combat any dust or lint from emptying dryer in that room. Am I asking expecting too much of a server in that room?

Thanks for read my blog fa/g/ets

blackviper.com/service-configurations/black-vipers-windows-7-service-pack-1-service-configurations/

Check crowdfund type sites, massdrop is one i remember. Mechanical keyboards make up like 50% of the stuff sold on there, the other half is knives and watches. All i saw there after a quick search was just keys/switches and no full keyboard, but maybe youll find one.

that looks good. will dig it

Is it just me, or 4ChanX's no-JS Captcha breaks if you try to use environment variables?
I'm trying out:
SET MOZ_ACCELERATED=1
SET MOZ_WEBRENDER=1
And when I start Firefox and try to post anything, the no-JS Captcha says:
>Sorry, something went wrong. Please try reloading the page.
The fuck man?

I have a 2 home routers and a switch, sitting on my desk. Right now they're all just sitting unorganized as fuck.

What do you guys use to organize them? Is there a shelf or something which could make this easier? They have mounting holes on the bottom, it'd be awesome to use those.

open your task scheduler and look

1. Lots of people run second WLAN on same router just for VPN. When you want to turn it on you just switch wifi network. If this is on the same router as your VPN then it's a question of if your router is flexible enough to do this.

2. It's a question of heat dissipation. 1 Server should not be pumping out enough heat to make a room critical. Especially if you have an un-insulated brick wall and pipes and stuff. If it gets hot and you want to keep the door closed then consider popping an upper and lower vent in the door to allow air exchange with the hall. Filtering is a YMMV thing. I like 80ppi reticulated polyurethane. You can buy 12' sheets of it as fish filter or from some plastic shops whatever but typically with servers BIG PORES ARE GOOD because you do more damage with restricting airflow then letting in small contaminants.

>t. wife collects cats

Is it a custom router build or a shitty OpenWRT box? If it's a custom build, you may be able to setup some rules of some kind to say "do not route these IPs through the VPN." Probably will have to assign her phone a static ip.

If you have 2 routers (1 provided by ISP, 1 for yourself), you could put a switch between them. And then plug in a raspberry pi, setup a proxy server, and setup her phone to use the proxy server, thus bypassing the VPN.

does it make a difference whether you have a load mounted to the inner or outer part of a bearing?

yes but it depends on mounting

please explain.

ntnglobal.com/en/products/instruction/mounting/index.html

also this doesn't deal with false brinelling which can be exacerbated in some kinds of mounting - but without knowing the specifics of your situation I'm sticking with my original answer

Thanks for feedback. I'm not sold on my practices yet but I'm thinking I'd like all my (non-wife) traffic to be run through the VPN at all times but I'm also looking at some sort of homeassistant.io setup so I need to mentally map how I want to segment all those devices. This is probably the best way to go if I can get my router to do it. The fish filter idea is great. My wife collects cats as well though they'd be roped off from this room.
It's not a custom build but I'll check to see if it does ip routing. The Pi idea is a good backup. Thanks for input.

this seems helpful for the mounting process but I was more meaning, if I have a heavy load, should I mount the load to the shaft or to the housing?

just look at look at trailer axles

the the load is distributed to the axle which then transfers to the bearings which transfers to the wheels.

Attached: sideview3500galvspringsbelow.jpg (1000x795, 187K)

Is there a way to import/export bookmarks in firefox for android without using a firefox account?

Attached: gondola_sd.png (365x241, 5K)

I don't feel like we're on the same page here, but thank you anyways

qtorrent. When I move a file after it's downloaded, the program will redownload it since it's not in the same area anymore. Where in the settings do I stop the auto-download?

Where can I buy good aftermarket VRM heatsinks?
I want to get into ghetto modding some GPU's I have around, and a friend is willing to give me his GTX 660 reference card to mess with too, but he had it on a water block, and in doing so, threw away the stock cooler, so am left with a bare PCB.
I'm considering slapping on some cheap chink copper memory heatsinks I bought ages ago, but aside from just slapping a fan over the bare VRM, I don't know what to do, and would ideally like to get a proper, dedicated heatsink or something for it.

Is climate change really that big of a deal or are people exaggerating it?

Are you using the most recent version? I'm pretty sure this was patched a few months ago.

Though to answer your question there's a box for "auto-start download" (or don't auto-start, can't remember) that needs to be checked (or unchecked) and can end this behavior.

But this will also have the effect of making you manually start each new torrent you add which is a pain so I never used it except when I was deleting a bunch of files to make sure nothing accidentally got redownloaded before I could remove it from my client

my nephew is going to college and my brother asked me what a good laptop for him would be. any recommendations? preferably not used since he just has to have it be new.

Attached: 1354675377183.png (500x400, 26K)

I just made a fresh install of pale moon and I am trying to install ublock origin. However every time I try to download it a message will pop up that says "pale moon does not support webextensions" I never had that happen before, any ideas what to do?

Attached: 1550005538332.jpg (459x429, 39K)

Is life really worth living?

get the cheapest one with a 7th gen+ i5 in it you can find and it'll be good.
not really but you're here anyway.

sigh

Attached: hbot.jpg (364x286, 17K)

Palemoon only supports XUL extensions and the last versions of uBlock Origin are WebExtensions. You need to download an older version of uBO or use a different browser.

how do you use slax, if you have an incredibly shit pc, and trying to recover it but everything is going wrong

Attached: uwu.jpg (678x960, 190K)

Going to get a headphone amp for my pc and then a nice dac later on. Will there be any issue if I connect the new amp to the 3.5 jack if my mobo already has an amp built in?

Can the Switch Pro Controller be used on PC outside of steam with the USB cable? If so, can you link me to the most reliable way to do so?

I've only had about 5-6 brilliant ideas in my life, only to find that they were already implemented. What should I do with my life?

Anyone know of a picture viewer for windows 10 where mouse scroll wheel zooms and arrow keys for switching between images?
Basically like the windows 7 picture viewer, having the scroll wheel switch between images it triggering my autism.

there's an option in settings to make the scroll wheel zoom by default

Does vinyl make any appreciable difference compared to listening to lossless cdrips with monitor headphones and a DAC/amp?

Attached: 1548421412406.jpg (606x412, 80K)

Should have checked for that myself, cheers.

Anyone got a guide to buying a 120Hz / 144 Hz screen?
i just want a 24" screen or bigger, 1080p or better, im a poorfag.
a guide to buying a desk would be nice too.

Is there any powerful file explorer for windows? I'm using xyplorer free now.

What's this mean?
The backing-file for the real-time session "dfa2c640-651d-488d-a479-2fd7a7ca6e29" has reached its maximum size. As a result, new events will not be logged to this session until space becomes available. This error is often caused by starting a trace session in real-time mode without having any real-time consumers.

Game crashed

Nevermind, I'm dumb. It was Privacy Badger what was messing with the No-JS Captcha.
Man that sucks balls.

Why is it impossible for males to get jobs as medical typists? I can type faster than 99% of those roasties and don't look too bad.

install the XUL version
github.com/gorhill/uBlock/releases/tag/firefox-legacy-1.16.4.8

>Palemoon only supports XUL extensions
true
>the last versions of uBlock Origin are WebExtensions. You need to download an older version of uBO
false; there is a maintained XUL version

yes, they will sound noticeably worse

I'm attempting to make some cash working as a freelance tech support/web design/hardware repairman on the side.

I'd also like to know how to create plans for installing security systems for customers. I've had some ideas for cheap plans with laptop cameras, or expensive plans with proper security cameras, but I have no idea how to connect these to a hub(server). Cheap options I can only think of a rasberry pi with an SD card changed every other day, expensive option would be a home server with a WD purple drive. What do I use for software? USB cables running along the house can be dangerous, no? Do I need to use a USB repeater every 30m or something?

I've had a little luck on Gumtree, but I don't want to freak my customers out by dropping the spaghetti IRL. I still need to print business cards but i'm not much of a graphic designer on GIMP.

What do I do as far as organizing and promoting my business goes? I'm talking about drafting quotes and presenting my business online.

The actual work itself is mundane and simple and I can handle it, but i'm not getting many hits back to make some serious cash.

Attached: 1541920089569.jpg (2029x2306, 523K)

I want a 144 Hz screen.
Wich one of these should i get?

Attached: aaa.png (661x737, 126K)

Which would be a better set up for fans?

Attached: 50C84AD6-CD6C-4F49-ACC5-D3E31490DB85.jpg (2000x800, 359K)

Take you pedophile faggot propaganda back to /b/

How do i escape this factory wage slaving to a comfy office job?

Is there are list of sited pirate boxes in the UK?

What's the name of that software that monitors a folder for incoming TOTALLY LEGAL LINUX VIDEOS, renames them, and moves them to another folder?

Did I fuck up by installing open office on a different drive than the one my OS is installed on?
Installed it on my windows 10 pc but can't find the programs in the start menu at all.

the left one but the bottom radiator should blow out down
Unless the computer is standing on a carpet, but then on the bottom is a bad place for it anyway.

I had no trouble googling that coax can't take two different providers (one for TV another for Internet), but how about phone line and ADSL? Can phone cable at the same time be used for one provider's phone service and another providers Internet service? I wasted a lot of time and found nothing.

Just use search or navigate manually to the directory you installed it in.
Reinstall is also a non-issue, you wasted more time by posting here than you would by doing that.

Sonarr

Thanks. A quick Google is mostly SEO'd garbage and greybeards ranting about Usenet shit ... I just want something to catch my LEGAL LINUX VIDEOS and move them elsewhere on my server for Emby to catch

Depends where you are. Places with "local loop unbundling" or where the ISPs are buying the service from the phone company anyway maybe. Generally it's cheaper to buy the phone line from whoever you're buying internet from too.

Easiest way is add the game/program you want in Steam as a non-Steam game, that way it'll keep the Xbox controller emulation running.

Usenet is really what it's meant for, torrent automation is still a bit shit mostly because of a lack of consistency in release naming/packaging.

>a lack of consistency in release naming/packaging
Ah shit you're right. I'm not interested in any seekrit hardc0re clubs, I just want stuff to watch and I'm lazy

Ah well. I can look through tvdb just fine myself I suppose

How do I force mpv to loop every file I open with it?

I went with it. Pricey, but it looks nice.

The headphone jack on my phone broke so i tried using type c audio and used a cable that i ordered from ebay, but it doesn't work. What do i do?

Any tips for buying old laptops batteries from ebay without getting hosed badly?

Attached: 1520001085193.gif (640x480, 214K)

If I have to wait over a week for a internet provider to finish an installation should I just find a new one if they keep lying to me about my appointment to fix a small thing?

I'm not sure if my question is right for this board but hopefully I can get an answer..

Looking for an app for win10 that let's me take notes. Something small and simple that you can just pop up whenever you need it. I would also cool if it could turn ugly mouse handwriting into a decent font.
I tried googling it but all the results are useless.

Anyone got any ideas?

Attached: godes.jpg (784x765, 144K)

onenote, already integrated in windows 10.

what are good auction sites for old PC hardware when ebay and amazon fail?

What program should I use to open a .tbl file?

Attached: garfield.png (657x527, 46K)

file extensions say nothing about a file. where did you get it from and what is expected to be in?

It's from a 3ds game
For some I would expect text but others are probably just numbers in hexadecimal

So I installed "Ubuntoo"
Now what do I do? It just looks like windows 10.
Whats a "repository"? and what do they do?

help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories/Ubuntu

What is the name of the linux tool/command that lists all ports and displays only the ports which are open usually only 2 or so lines?

Why does the MSMG toolkit require a Windows 8.1 or 10 host os to modify a Windows 10 iso?
Should I even bother with the toolkit for 2016 LTSB? Or should I get LTSC now?

First of all stop with the faggotness

Secondly, if I manage to implement every system call of another OS (let's say windows), would that mean that I can run programs built for Windows in another OS?

netstat

see Wine

Windows' built in tools for editing ISOs have been heavily improved since 7. I'd say the toolkit is more useful than LTS branches, if you don't mind the upkeep. Really just get enterprise and turn off what you don't want.

>First of all stop with the faggotness
no
netstat is deprecated. Use ss(8)
linux.die.net/man/8/ss

I got the impression the toolkit could disable stuff I don't want/telemetry things in the iso that couldn't be disabled post-install.
I've run into a problem on my personal computer which currently has Windows 7 so the toolkit won't do anything, it just reports it requires 8.1 or 10 to load an iso.

I know Wine. Mine was just a theoretical question

And what happens with libraries (for example libc)??

>I got the impression the toolkit could disable stuff I don't want

Yes, but you can disable a lot of shit in any version of enterprise. Might not be worth the extra work and possible breakage to go rooting around with the tool every year.

>which currently has Windows 7 so the toolkit won't do anything
Yup. You'll have to run it from an existing windows 10 install on another drive, VM, or computer. Doesn't have to be activated.

I see, I appreciate the info.
I've got the 2016 LTSB at the moment. Do you think I should get the latest LTSC version or regular Enterprise?
As I said it's just my personal computer, but I'd like to be able to remove stuff I don't care about; Cortana, the store, telemetry, etc.

Considering what you can do with settings, the only practical difference with LTS vs enterprise is updates. Just get education (easy to acquire enterprise) and set feature updates on a 1 year delay, and you've pretty much got the best of all world.