Routers / Broadband

What router to you use and why?

I'm new to networking in general but here to take any advise or learn something useful.

Attached: tp_link_archer_a7_ac1750_wireless_1434711.jpg (1000x1000, 57K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.kitz.co.uk/index.php/Huawei_HG612
wikidevi.com/wiki/BT_Home_Hub
d15yx0mnc9teae.cloudfront.net/sites/default/files/Spectrum_D31_eMTA_Data_Sheet.pdf
192.168.100.1/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Using a TP-Link Archer 1750 v5 as a router for my UK Virgin Media broadband with Virgin's awful router in modem mode.

Turns out my ISP doesn't allow you to change the DNS let alone any ALG settings I need set for my VoIP phone.

Using this as it's quite cheap compared to other routers and has actual gigabit LAN ports rather than 1 like most of the others.

Netgear R7800
It is one of the best consumer grade routers supported by OpenWrt.

Attached: VPN-Router-Netgear-R7800-DDWRT__43889.1521664682.jpg (720x720, 37K)

The ISP issued one because I'm a bum who likes to live on the edge

Manager used this exact one. Not entirely clued up on OpenWrt yet however all I know is that he keeps corrupting his router using it. Isn't very helpful when he does this, working from home when I need him.

Jesus, is it a Sagemcom or something similar to the router equivalent of AIDS?

ISP+2 wrt54gl dd-wrt

Could i get away with cheapest ac router around or should i get those big router spiders things?

Depends, does your current one connect into a ADSL/VDSL port? Or it is from a modem via RJ45?

My modem is the default Openreach that is supplied to UK customers who're on BT or Plusnet or whatever. My version was built by Hauwei. There's two versions. One built by Hauwei using a Broadcom chipset and the other built by ECI using a Lantiq chipset.

Using the modem with the chipset corresponding to your local fibre cabinet is supposed to provide greater stability. My local cabinet is a broadcom based cabinet. So I have the Hauwei.

That's they routed into a PCEngines APU2C4 running PFSense which is fed into a switch for all wired hardware. Wireless is provided by a WLE200NX since the only thing that needs it in my flat is my (and guests) phones.

isp router has those fiber connectors, i just want to keep the isp router and plug my computer, file server and 5 other wireless devices

Wait, you still use a VDSL modem or are you referring to the modem built in the home/business hub 5, smart home/business hub 1 and 2?

>he keeps corrupting his router using it
Is he using a snapshot build? tell him to stop updating it unless it's absolutely necessary.

The Chinks on aliexpress have lots of routers based on the design of TP-Link routers but with everything unlocked and connected (USB ports, serial, debug ports,etc...), they come with OpenWRT from the factory and a unlocked bootloader.

They also have x86 routers with PFSense with that sweet crypto extensions, they even come on barebones kits like pic related.

Attached: router.jpg (1000x1000, 336K)

The modem built into the home hubs supports ADSL and VDSL. I'm talking about the stand alone modem anyway.

wiki.kitz.co.uk/index.php/Huawei_HG612

Also... depending on which generation of home hub you're using, determines the chipset it uses.

wikidevi.com/wiki/BT_Home_Hub

So if your local cabinet is a Broadcom cabinet, you can use that guide to find a home hub generation that matches.

That's why I was asking if you were using any of those routers still as you said you still use the modem, reading from your previous messages I can see why you'd prefer using it. They stopped producing those back in 2014 I believe?

I have a Tp Link 1043n, it's not the best but it allows me to ban evade most of the time, although it's a bit annoying because it's not guaranteed to give you a new IP so you have to keep trying and trying.

I read that i could fix this having a second router or something that gets the old IP

Attached: 1549757830726.jpg (300x250, 7K)

can somebody help me understand what's going on? the router's supposed to get an address via dhcp from the modem, correct?

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-02-15 at 4.50.52 PM.png (901x515, 111K)

>They stopped producing those back in 2014 I believe?
As far as I know. Home Hubs were already long before then. But not everyone was getting them. When I signed up for Plusnet they sent me out a rebranded Home Hub. But it was a Lantiq unit. So I stuck it back in the box and bought the HG612 off eBay for a fiver.

here's the settings for eth1

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-02-15 at 4.51.13 PM.png (553x284, 39K)

if i try from the command line, it just hangs

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-02-15 at 4.51.54 PM.png (388x386, 33K)

>Not entirely clued up on OpenWrt yet however all I know is that he keeps corrupting his router using it.
>corrupting his router
Wut.

connecting directly to the modem from a laptop...

Attached: IMG_0274.jpg (666x497, 132K)

helllo sir my name is Hansh amd im going to help u tuday,

did u try unplugging and plugging again ur modem cables

does the R7800 have dual firmware like the linksys WRT?

yes, mr hansh. can you tell me why i can't connect to the world wide web?

Reset the modem. A lot of modems don't like when you change routers.

You mean dual partitions? No. However, it does have a TFTP server that you can always use to flash the firmware in the event something goes wrong or you need to repartition.

i already did! but is it is supposed to function the way i put it, right? or am i wrong? i'm a newb
this is the modem in question
d15yx0mnc9teae.cloudfront.net/sites/default/files/Spectrum_D31_eMTA_Data_Sheet.pdf

Attached: vpunch.webm (360x360, 188K)

It should just work. What hardware are you using?

Yes, it's set up right. Not sure why yours isn't working.

The laptop example isn't working either. 169.254 addresses are link-local, not real addresses.

the router is a tp-link wr841n i got on ebay flashed with librecmc and the modem is linked here

>169.254 addresses are link-local
that's supposed to be the one from the modem
when connecting directly to the modem in windows, the default gateway is blank

>that's supposed to be the one from the modem
That's your OS doing that, you're not getting an IP
>when connecting directly to the modem in windows, the default gateway is blank
Same here, it's not actually working.
Are you sure the modem is working?

Just ignore DHCP and give yourself an address on the same subnet, as long as no one else connects directly to the modem you're golden.

mmm there seem to be a problem with ur windows sir, i fix it but i need credit card number to activate internet sir

I don't know about Windows, but typically plugging in to the modem should assign the computer the IPs as if it were a router.

Has the modem worked before with other hardware?

i did try that from the webui... still nothing
it's a new modem from spectrum
it's mandatory. something to do with docsic 3.0 -> 3.1
like i said. i'm a noob

Attached: IMG_0275.jpg (666x666, 144K)

>it's a new modem from spectrum
Did you activate it yet?

>it's mandatory
You can use a different modem as long it is on their approved list.

yeah. but besides that, shouldn't librecmc/openwrt be assigned an ip by the modem regardless?

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-02-15 at 11.06.03 PM.png (600x183, 41K)

we had a modem that previously worked but were forced to upgrade. the thing was free...

apu2c4 with pfsense.

Attached: pfsense-router.jpg (3817x1938, 978K)

Some modems will assign you a non-routable IP like 192.168.100.10 if the modem can't connect to the ISP, but that one apparently isn't doing it.

this is confusing
what would be the next logical step to take?

If it didn't even work with a laptop connected directly to the modem, call the ISP.

Try 192.168.100.1/

I feel like the modem is not connected or activated properly. You should just be able to plug in to it and get a connection. I use OpenWrt and it requires no configuration at all for it to work.

ok. thanks for your help. i was searching online for the modem model and ran into so many things i have no idea about. what would you recommend as a good starting place to learn about networking... stuff, for lack of a better term

openwrt (librecmc) is on a router that i can connect to via the webui. it's not being assigned an address by the modem to access the wan

I realize that and am telling you that it should just work when you connect it to the modem.

>am telling you that it should just work

Attached: 1_TpAfeJbo1UQQTwor9lpc0g.jpg (1000x667, 119K)

I mean that you should stop changing settings on the router and look at the modem instead.

Motorola MB8600 with TP-Link Archer C3150v2 (with shitcast cable broadband in murrica). Upgraded to it 2 months ago and it's a god-tier combo so far.

Attached: Archer-C3150(UN)2.0-01_1472016523548v.jpg (590x443, 46K)

that's what i was thinking. gosh darn modem, motherfucker. probably gonna have to replace it

Previously a Netgear WNR3500 v1 running Tomato but it 'died' so I had to fall back on a FritzBox 7490. It's hard to believe how much FritzBox routers go for considering how basic they are.

Linksys WRT1200AC running OpenWRT, also as NAS, adblock and torrent box

archer c2 and c5 both are version 1 thought sucks balls. the 5g signal is bad force me to use 2.4 in current year.

I have the first router and my roommate uses the 2nd router, I had a piehole installed that blocked his services so he bought his own router. Are these routers any good? The signal on mine dies >30 ft.

i found one these in a dumpster outside a data center where my work co-locates their shit, the power supply only needed the filter caps replaced

Attached: ccr1036-8g-2sp_1200.jpg (1200x1029, 347K)

okay something else has happened. i'm trying to understand this...
computer -> router -> modem via ethernet
the computer is being assigned a public ip...
not your typical 192.168.*
so there's connection to the internet
but not when connected to the wireless access point

Attached: a358b2ecb7b5cb1f3b4e81067bf9e8a0_400x400.jpg (400x400, 19K)

I would buy one of these... but they cant do gigabit vpn. Also nightmare to flash with all that needed zero modem cable bull

Pic related. It has OpenWRT installed and does its job quite well.

Attached: DIR-620_Front.jpg (800x620, 79K)

Are any custom router firmwares that offer a JSON API?

modem on ap mode->tplink wdr3600running openwrt->connected to a mi box-->whitebox from samknows as bridge->main pc/media pc 3 ceph server racks

The C3150v2 covers five rooms over three floors, plus a garage for me without breaking a sweat. I only really lose signal in my car after driving around the corner of the next building.

i figured it out! since the first device to connect was a computer, the router had to spoof its mac address in order to obtain an ip address from the isp

Attached: phew.png (430x258, 8K)