>Example gaming builds; click on blue titles to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>How to assemble a PC
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
Want help?
>State the budget & CURRENCY
>Post at least some attempt at a parts list
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photo editing, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs based on current pricing:
>Athlon 200GE - HTPC, web browsing, bare minimum gaming (can be OC'd on some MSI mobos)
>R3 2200G - Recommended minimum gaming
>R5 2600/X - Good gaming & multithreaded work use CPUs
>i7-9700k/8700k - Extreme setup with RTX 2080/Ti
>R7 2700/X - Best high-end CPU on a non-HEDT platform
>Threadripper/Used Xeon - HEDT

RAM:
>Always choose at least a two stick kit; 2x 8GB is recommended
>CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000CL15 or 3400CL16 is ideal
>All AMD chipsets and Intel Z chipsets support XMP

Graphics cards based on current pricing:
>Used cards can be had for a steal; inquire about warranty
1080p
>GTX 1060, RX 570, RX 580 for older or less demanding titles
>RTX 2060 thanks to 6gb VRAM is only good as a short-term solution; consider 1070/Ti or Vega 56
1440p
>RTX 2060; consider 1070/Ti or Vega 56 if on sale
>RTX 2080 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerate and you have a CPU and monitor to match
2160p (4k)
>RTX 2080
>RTX 2080 Ti is better, but very expensive

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 256GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor
>Bottleneck checkers are worthless
>rentry.co/pcbg-more

Attached: 1547157197363.jpg (1052x518, 32K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/D8WhXP
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834231495
m.youtube.com/watch?v=pfnzHA3-MhM
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

What do I do before I turn on my PC for the 1st time (first ever build) its sitting connected to the monitor, has keyboard and mouse plugged in, and plugged into a surge protector. Do I do anything else beforehand? I know this might be a retarded question but I'm a naturally paranoid person

Attached: 4rewfd.jpg (1086x992, 73K)

>2060 6GB warning on 1080p
>but it's standard for 1440p
JUST

Make sure the fan is seated, double check front panel header wires, make sure there's no loose screws around the case and smell closely when you start it up for burning smells

Why is my CPU so hot?
I just installed it right now and left the stock coolers pre applied paste on and it was this hot.
So I removed it and applied my own but same thing.

Do the specs look normal?
Am I just not installing it correctly somehow?

Attached: Capture3.png (872x541, 31K)

Do a quick survey to make sure fans are the right way and everything is nice and plugged in tight.

>double check front panel header wires
this, it wont fuck up your PC but its really annoying figuring out you put them in the wrong way

Other program

Attached: Capture4.png (410x477, 18K)

Speccy doesn’t work with Ryzen. Use MSI afterburner to check temps

REEEEEEE my brand new case damaged before I even finished my build :(
Best way to conceal this? Would a black sharpie do the job?

Attached: IMG_1397.jpg (1512x1736, 815K)

>restating the same thing twice

I dont even get the resolution VRAM boogieman.
Graphical effect tweaks are a better solution to low vram than resolution
I stuck with a 2GB card until a year ago and in most games i could make do by exclusively turning down barely noticeable shit like ambient occlusion or DoF.
Also is there even a game that makes the 2060 unplayable at 4k yet that isn't also unplayable on 8gb cards in the same performance bracket like the 1080 or vega 64?

pcpartpicker.com/list/D8WhXP

r8?

Attached: DyRxBiZVAAAiuDK.jpg orig.jpg (992x1492, 114K)

No, get some touch up paint.

There will come a point in the near future where turning down settings won't negate the lack of VRAM, and that point will fuck over 6GB cards sooner than 8GB cards.

the cable that came with my asus wifi network adapter doesn't fit into the COM port on my mobo (asrock pro4 b450), instead it fits into the USB 2 header.
Likewise, there a (presumably USB) cable that fits into the COM port header instead of the USB header. what's going on here?

You forgot the "i believe" at the start of that.
The "that point will fuck over 6GB cards sooner than 8GB cards." part is logically correct though.

Picked up a 9900K for 427€
46€ more than a 9700K
155€ more than a 2700x

I just needed a CPU for muh games. It hurts

Reccy me a nice looking CPU cooler that I can rice my system with. Are AIOs safe?

Damn, a jump from a 1700 to a 3800x is going to be amazing. Hopefully the x370 Taichi can handle it without too much trouble.

Attached: worried inside.jpg (1280x720, 183K)

>Your wife tells you that she's out to meet a male friend alone and is staying overnight, but she insist that nothing is going to happen
>Nvidia releases a card with painfully low VRAM for its cost
Both evoke the same kind of feeling, but professional benchmarkers insist that the low VRAM doesn't matter

Where is the 9700k as a baseline for 1080p gaymen? I remember the 2700x being extremely close.

>9700k
>1080p

Attached: f7990250a60043abd57e29efd23f7844.jpg (640x775, 67K)

Does this look good?

Attached: Capture5.png (693x881, 45K)

I'll let you check Blackout benchmarks. This game eats your CPU for higher competitive frames. (DRM's fault probably)

Those temps are absolutely OK.

thanks, I'll go to the hardware store. Would that be a spray or do you paint it on? Can it look flawless?

OK BROS

Shopping for a used 1070Ti since the 2060 sucks

Which brands have good warranties and which cards should I watch out for?

Yeah i understand the feeling, it's making me worry a lot about my next upgrade too, but that's because i tend to hold onto my cards for 3-4 years and i'm pretty sure 6gb is going to be trouble by then, but i wouldnt call that the near future.

>Which brands have good warranties
EVGA
>which should i watch out for
windforce, single fan, blower style, the asus dual one that i cant remember the name of

Thanks user. I was starting to sweat.

Guess Speccy is just dog shit.

So I should only just go for an evga since it has a transferrable warranty?

I have a 3440x1440 resolution monitor I’ve used for producitvity. I don’t game much, but have some friends who want me to get into things like counter strike. My monitor has gsync, so I guess I’m stuck with nvidia.

Would an i5 8400+2060 build be good enough for some more modern games like the devil may cry 5? I know I can play counter strike, but I’d also like to play dmc5 and resident evil remake 2. Just worried about my resolution being too much for a 2060

MSI hands down

If you don't get the MSI titanium edition, lol at your life.

Medium settings will get 60 FPS at 1440p.

yes, cant go wrong

Would it be more wise to invest in a beefier CPU or GPU? Would the 8400 have enough speed to power a 2070 or 2080?

Installing my windows 10 via CD disk (dont ask why) is it supposed to take longer than a USB? Thanks for any help

Gayman is always tilted heavily towards GPU power, although you're still required to have a non-shit CPU.

Easily, my 2600 powers a 1080ti with minimal bottleneck

Is liquid cooling mandatory for overclocking cpu/gpu if I want a quiet pc? I'm talking i7 9700k + 2080ti at 1440p/120+fps high/ultra settings.

Attached: 1507241454569.jpg (640x932, 91K)

Only get the 8700k if you plan on delidding and getting 5.1ghz on all cores. That's what its good for. If you don't the stock 9700k is as good as an oc'd 8700k and doesn't have to be delidded for 50 bucks more. Both are designed to run really hot tho.

repost, Keeping in mind that, truly, I'm a fucking idiot.

I'd like to see if I can turn this laptop I bought years ago newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834231495
into a desktop by gutting it for parts, buying whatever I need in replacement, and so on. I don't feel a need to upgrade beyond anything, but one of the old bastard's fans has gotten noisy lately which both worries and horribly annoys me. I've been using it as a sort of Frankenstein desktop for the past 4 years by plugging in a new monitor for its broken native one, a new keyboard, and so on.

So basically it works seemingly completely fine, but if I end up having a heating problem I don't see things staying fine. I've been told having an SSD is good, I know its graphics card is lame at this point but whatever. I hear that converting a laptop into a desktop isn't necessarily simple, though, and sometimes isn't possible.

I don't know SHIT beyond cursory research so far, so this is a shot in the dark to see if an user can tell me what I plan to do is viable. Like from my view of ignorance, it seems like if I got it all out of its case, put it in a PC case instead, and replaced its fan(s), there's no real reason it shouldn't work. The question is if I could even remove it from its case, or remove the fans (allegedly soldered parts can fuck things over). I've never done anything even close to similar to this.

I'm not really thinking about budget, but if converting would be ABOUT 200 USD that would be ideal, less than 400 USD at least, honestly the cheaper the better, with I guess a fan being my biggest concern. If it helps, when facing the open laptop directly, the fan that's making noise is the one to the left and back of the machine. One of my friend's mentioned graphics cards having their own cooling fans or somethin.

I already have a monitor, keyboard, mouse, and whatever's inside the machine, though I need to replace the fan and probably the slowly deteriorating case.

Attached: firefox_2019-02-16_14-26-26.png (1314x618, 363K)

Dark rock pro 4/nhd15 for the cpu and just any 3 fan cooler gpu should be quiet with good temps

Not the same guy, but what about the MSI Gaming ones? I can get a used 1070Ti for €350 where as the good 2060's are €400.

MSI gaming is one of the better gpu variants. I’ve had a 660, 760, 970 and now a 1080ti and all of them are still going strong.

Considering water cooling my gpu with a 120mm AIO via NZXT bracket. Which fan set up do you think is best?

any second opinions on how to best deal with this? I'm pretty mad right now

Derp

Attached: F1094DE4-D223-4E3A-8DDA-B4C659242193.jpg (2000x800, 359K)

Cut a tiny piece of black electrical tape and smush it on

There's liquid inside heatpipes, so yes.

I've just tried booting my build for the first time and nothing is happening. What's the troubleshooting process from here?

What exactly did it do? Like didn’t even respond? Did you flick the switch on your PSU from “o” to “I”?

>live in Texas
>i7 8700k overclocked to 4.9GHz and 2080
>room heats up like a mofo while playing vidya
>grandma buys $300 portable AC unit for the ONE night we don't have A/C until it gets repaired the next day
>tosses the A/C unit in her closet to collect dust
>ask if I can use it to counter the literal sun in my PC case
>says no for no discernible reason
>says I have to buy my own while she will likely never use hers again

Should I do it bros? Summer's coming up and I can't stand the heat while playing. This shit's expensive af tho

any recommendations?

Attached: 1549940627617.jpg (640x480, 21K)

>Like didn’t even respond?
Correct
>Did you flick the switch on your PSU from “o” to “I”?
Yes

Anybody got that connector types chart?
Transistor types chart would also be useful

Attached: 1550304208052.jpg (1285x1995, 951K)

your ram sticks might be in the way of the cooler. if so, it's lifting your cpu cooler up and it's not flush with the cpu

Is it plugged in properly to the wall? Into the PSU? Did you put the front I/Os in correctly?

Offer her $100 for it

no, just crank down your OC to like 4.5 or 4.3. same thing for your gpu if you OCd it. you'll notice a 5% dip in performance and ensure your parts last you a decade instead of 3 years.

your grandma probably doesn't want the electricity bill to be $400 a month and you're already pulling a lot of power from the wall with your computer. if you really want it anyway offer to pay her the difference. you can calculate it online with a psu calculator, and i guess get a kW/h gauge for the AC to plug into so you can see what that costs on top of it.

>Is it plugged in properly to the wall? Into the PSU?
Yes
>Did you put the front I/Os in correctly?
I don't know - I just made sure every cable had been plugged into its corresponding plug on the mobo. There's no port on the mobo called 'front i/o'

1sr (first) for /noreasontobuildapcunlessyouareagaymer/

Attached: 1541037723726.jpg (726x669, 40K)

check the motherboard manual for the shutdown/restart buttons. you run wires from your case to the mobo. they're color coded. usually also includes things like front audio (for headset and mic) and USB. though, if you're just trying to turn the computer on and aren't worried about peripheral shit, this isnt really that important.

Bump. Thinking left is the better set up

AAAAH I had the front panel cable plugged into the wrong port. Thank you based user

Listen man, i'm going to level with you. That drawing is so terrible no one is going to go to go to the effort of trying to figure out what you're trying to ask. A bad drawing takes a lot of effort to decipher and most people are lazy. I didn't even spend more than 3 seconds looking at it before i gave up when you posted it.
Your best bet is trying again with a better drawing. Maybe someone will read this and take it as some kind of challenge, in which case this sentence kind of lowers that chance by making them aware of that. Sorry about that

What are the differences between onboard (on a B450 mobo) Wifi vs pci Wifi? And which ones are recommended?

On board means it’s built into the mobo
PCI means it goes into a pci slot

MSI gaming pro carbon Ac b450 is best

"onboard" just means there's an m.2 slot for laptop wifi cards built into the motherboard which gives you easy access to cheap but superior wifi cards like the intel 9260.
Seriously that thing's only $20 and it's the best wifi client chip on the market

Asking again, will buying a used 1070 be a good idea? would it get bottlenecked by the CPU?

Attached: Capture.jpg (518x436, 31K)

The CPU is currently at 4GHz, forgot speccy doesnt show it.

No.
Just no.

i7-8700k with a Z370 mobo or an i7-9700k with a Z390 mobo?

I did a thing, now waiting for my aio.

Attached: 20190215_131923_HDR.jpg (4160x2080, 2.91M)

enjoy your short circuit

?

Sup /pcbg/

I have a weird fucking problem. I don't know if it's my motherboard or my GPU, it sounds like my GPU, but my motherboard has been doing some nasty shit for some reason. Lemme explain:

-When I play some game (poor metodology, I haven't tested another one so far, but I haven't seen anyone report issues with it that way either) after maybe 2 hours of gameplay some textures get replaced with others. There's some corruption going on and there's no overclocking or anything of the sort. Weird thing is that depending on the camera angle, the textures go back to normal or switch to the weird ones, and if I leave the area and trigger a loading screen and go back, textures are rendered properly again for whatever reason. Still makes me a bit paranoid.

-My motherboard is reporting weird voltage drops under full load (up to -0.3v on the +12v rail). I have another motherboard that doesn't (or the fluctuation is minimal, like -0.002v, similar results to my multimeter). I'd like to attribute to shitty sensors but I don't know.

Any ideas here?

Did I fuck something up or are you just memeing?

looking for a gaming keyboard. Cherry MX Brown or MX Red? stuck between these two.

ok I've done a bit more reading ant it sounds like I might be able to get a replacement panel from NZXT. Sounds like the best option

I bought a used evga 1070 with no problems. Better than paying full price for a 1060 lmao. If it werks it werks.

Could be memory on graphics card failing. Look at examples of artifacts

I would get the i7 for your socket as well, i7 4770K or 4790K

Will used 1080ti come down in price by the time next gen consoles are released?

I was using the exact same system and bought a 1070. It was a huge performance increase but Apex & Anthem took a huge shit on my system. They want moar coars and moar ram.

I'm asking because Im playing TW Warhammer II right now and the CPU usage is at 50-60% while the GPU is always at 100, should I Just Wait™ for Navi and upgrade all together?

...nevermind, it's the actual game. I was checking for notes on a beta patch that came out (even though the game isn't patched) and one of the known issues is that texture bug. Thanks for the help. I still don't know what's happening to the motherboard but at least I shouldn't worry about this one.

What’s the game?

I just said fuck it went for a 2700X. My system was 7 years old and in the for an upgrade. If you dont feel the need to upgrade just wait but dont think Navi & Zen2 will be some miracles

Yakuza 0

Apparently if you are alt-tabbing frequently that shit happens sometimes with floor textures.

I hate both, but left is clearly better than the right option.

so I'm putting together my new ryzen build today, coming from a really old Intel build
As far as I can read everywhere, I have to do a clean install of windows on my SSD that I already have windows on
Is there a way I can keep most of my files?

Can someone tell me if I need to install the Intel Management Engine interface chipset driver from my motherboards website? Thanks.

Why do you hate them both?

Transfer them across to a USB/externa HDD before new install

>RTX 2060 thanks to 6gb VRAM is only good as a short-term solution
Cringe
m.youtube.com/watch?v=pfnzHA3-MhM

I'm looking into buying one, and I'm going with brown. It makes me feel better when I know if I actually activated a switch. It sucks that I don't have access to the various keyboards, and if you do, I would obviously try them out before spending $100+ on a keyboard.

I have a laptop and 1 monitor, is there any way to listen to videos on the laptop while playing games on the actual monitor at the same time without playing any of them through their actual speakers? What do you guys do?

Why not get a x570 mobo? You'll lose out on precision boost 2 and pcie 4.0 by sticking with x370

How should I proceed when updating my PC? I have a budget of about 600 dollars USD. I know I need a new mother board and processor badly. Actually maybe 800 USD. Not sure on a budget still.

Anyway, What do I need most? I basically want to upgrade my PC in a way to leaves me open to being able to upgrade it in the future easily. Like right now, I don't even think I could use one of the new processors coming out?

Attached: PCSPECS_7_4_2018.png (554x429, 24K)