What's the best distro / DE to install on my

What's the best distro / DE to install on my
grandmother's laptop which is kind of weak?
All she uses it for is checking her email, doing her online banking, and printing recipes.
I was thinking Ubuntu with KDE. Would Debian be less prone to breaking?

Attached: windows-7_284992_full.jpg (1279x799, 139K)

install gentoo

Linux Mint

in my experience ubuntu is really stable on older laptops nowadays, even if you just go with the default gnome. it has come a long way. debian can still have issues with overheating on some hardware. i doubt your grandma wants to worry about keeping an eye on psensor, monitoring her fan speed, and tweaking settings to see if thermald or tlp are doing the job to keep the laptop from frying out.

gentoo for grandma? what a shitpost!

debian with lxde or lxqt or xfce, maybe unity

install hackintosh, it wont break if you won't update

ElementaryOS

/thread
this shit won't break and just werks

install arch

Attached: 347348568358.jpg (659x525, 68K)

linux mint
mate or xfce for lightweight

if you're going ubuntu, get mate edition
on my hardware it's not quite as smooth as mint mate, but your mileage may vary

mint mate does seem to be best mate. i've noticed this too with mate ubuntu but hardware is a factor.

Lubuntu or Puppy.

>Windows 7
your time is running out boomers

There is no unity on Debian, or anywhere except Ubuntu

ubuntu dropped unity

Linux Mint "Cinnamon"

>KDE
Overkill, use xfce instead, going to be more familiar to her and use less resources

linux mint or ubuntu, but i vote for mint

either way, go for a lightweight DE (i recommend Xfce) as KDE and Gnome are quite bloated and slow on older machines (core 2 duo, etc)

>Ubuntu with KDE
Unstable. Kubuntu is awful

>Debian
God no. Is she running a server?

Use Xubuntu
Change the theme and window decorations to Numix (already installed)
Move the panel from top to bottom to be more Windows-like
Make the whisker menu say START instead of nothing to be more Windows-like
Make the icons in the whisker menu bigger because default is scaled for like a 1024x800 display or something.

That's literally all you have to do to make Xubuntu grandma friendly.
It's grandma friendly out of the box but this just makes it a bit less ugly and 1995.

MX Linux 18
Lubuntu
Antix
Puppy

The higher, the better system requirements it needs

Dwm.

All she needs to do if memorize a few key bindings and thats it.

>All she uses it for is checking her email, doing her online banking, and printing recipes

So literally firefox.

How do you open that "about windows" box?

we'll get the paid security updates when people leak them on the internet

Are you retarded?

i really can't figure it out user

Attached: stallman smh.jpg (640x427, 129K)

winver

oy thanks UwU
no gui way to open it?

What is wrong with what it has?

Windows 10 Enterprise

install grantoo

ubuntu budgie

Debian's strength is that it doesn't change. If something is working, it will continue to work for years. OP can try it and if it works well then problem solved for years. Maybe MATE as DE.

>printing recipes
Good luck with printing stuff lol

MacOS

More precisely, good luck with making an old woman print stuff on Ganoo/Leenux.

Reminder that windows 7 stole the dock feature from apple

What you said or Mint.

>grandmother's laptop which is kind of weak?
Specs?
I'd probably go with Ubuntu Mate in any case.

Mint is designed specifically for women and old people. Your grandmother is both.

I got XP Performance Edition on my old eee PC. If it wasn't for the small screen, it would still be usable, performance wise. your Grandmas laptop has to be faster than it!

How old is it? Slitaz would do the thing even for shitboxes from 90ies

The best security is to have two totally separate accounts. One you load up from your main account, to buy shit, pay bills, and let people swipe in shops and restaurants. Your main account is never used with a computer, and the card is only used at the bank to transfer funds.

The best security is to lock your cash in a safe guarded by multiple firearms.

How old are you talking about, 1GB of RAM? With that, Debian and a very minimal DE like LXDE or LXQt

This

keep her on win7 fucking dumbass brainlet

record your grandma trying to install gentoo and post on youtube

so what?

you can still install it, Ubuntu is really gay for ditching it.

Unity had flaws, but it's start menu search was amazing to aid my graphic art and find files quickly.

Xubuntu or Mint are the only sane choices

Lubuntu is good for everything. Ok for advanced user, ok for normie, ok for dumb auntie. And it run well on a toaster

I had a similar dilemma not too long ago. My grandma's monoblock has 4 gigs of ram and some garbage old pentium CPU. I installed windows 10 LTSB (LTSC was not out back then) and did some minor tweaking in gpedit (disable cortana, all the metro apps, windows defender, web search etc). As much as I love linux, no other family member of mine could help gram out if she had trouble with it and she definitely would end up having trouble with it sooner or later. Also, as much as I hate windows 10, LTSB is a damn stable option with a solid support period. I also had to set up google chrome (with ublock origin) for her, because firefox was too heavy for her hardware kek.

Also forgot to say that I activated it with hwidgen and installed a cheap 120 sata ssd in it. After cleaning out all the garbage it was running great.

why can't she just use windows
this board is retarded