Unironically using a 10 year old cpu in 2019

>unironically using a 10 year old cpu in 2019
Imagine using a cpu from 1999 in 2009.

Attached: DRcIAXgXUAAy0Uy.jpg (900x1200, 253K)

Other urls found in this thread:

cpuboss.com/cpus/Qualcomm-Snapdragon-800-vs-Intel-Core2-Quad-Q6600
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I used a Pentium III until I bought a new one in 2011. Why buy something new if what you have works and you don't need anythinhmg new?

>computer too slow to run a botnet in the background.
Sounds good to me.

>something works just fine and fits your needs

why would you need to upgrade it then?

Attached: 82958836.jpg (626x768, 77K)

Well, probably I'll be fine with my 2500k until it's 10th birthday.

I'm still using a 4790K. Other than cooling and the DDR3 meme, it's been pretty good. I actually just acquired a 1070ti and it's been smooth. I don't plan on upgrading until either the motherboard or the CPU fugs up.

Attached: 119b566174e5fbcc9f91573946126c1f.png (650x1013, 145K)

The point is that intel and amd's product lineups are stagnant.

>he stopped in 2011
>tfw posting this from my 1266S

Who cares, the guy makes good food

Attached: wc.png (1030x578, 691K)

lmao he's like a lawful good version of DSP

I wonder if OP doesn't realize that not everyone plays vidya? 10 YO cpu not that bad in this day in age DESU.

Attached: hmmm.png (1200x1200, 9K)

Still rocking my i7 920. It's fine, but I'm definitely going to upgrade this year.

1999-2009 was a much bigger leap in raw power. 2009-2019 hasn't really been comparable.

i5 3570k here, almost 7 year old CPU, clocked at 4.2 GHz, still works really well along with my r9 390 for my casual drunkin gaymen at 1440p, works well with my DAW, and works well with my general web browsing. At times, the 4 cores can be taxed as shitty MMOs leaving it around 45-60 frames on high settings, or other heavy CPU games. I could probably get another 3 years out of this CPU, but I would like more cores/threads for better multi tasking.

I have a pentium 3 on my desk desu. It's fine for light taks, and unlike what shitntlel wants you to believe, the whole system consumes less power than the fancy low tpd S series builds that cost extra.

Increases in CPU performance aren't linear anymore. I can still play most games just fine on an overclocked 2500K. Some people still use Core 2 Quads. Single thread performance has increased by just under 50% in the eight years since Sandy Bridge if you compare a 9900K and a 3960X, and a lot of software really doesn't make good use of many cores.

stil using i5-760, no fucks given

You only need modern botnet CPUs if you do video editing, some very specific recourse intensive tasks or if you're a gaymer.

79 - 89 was a massive jump (8088 - i486)
89 - 99 was a massive jump (i486 - Pentium III)
99 - 09 was a pretty big jump (Pentium III - i7-960)
09 - 19 was... a jump (i7-960 - i7-9700)

>mfw I'm using a core2duo right now

I literally have zero reason to upgrade

Attached: 1543875747696.jpg (1073x1041, 186K)

back in 99-09 we had huge leaps in cpu power, not so anymore. 2009 is what, core2duo tier? perfectly serviceable for many tasks even now

I'm trying to think back to 2009 and what I was using, and I'm fairly sure my desktop was a P4 from 2002 or so

Whenever I come across Steve online, I feel happy

2009 is first gen i7-tier

wow, almost... twice.. as fast. huh. i didn't think it'd be /that/ close

Attached: a.png (790x619, 177K)

speaking of "using a 2002 p4 in 2009", that's way crazier than using a 2009 cpu today

Attached: a.png (807x606, 157K)

Twice as fast with twice as much cores. It checks out.

Also a faster chip in a smaller process. Literally no performance gains, IPC-wise.

>speaking of "using a 2002 p4 in 2009"
I went back and checked, I used that computer until 2012 when I bought a core2duo thinkcentre

in 2009 I was using an Athlon 64 something or other (from 2005). I upgraded to an Athlon X2 (or its Opteron equivalent) but the overclocking was shit so I went for a Core i7 920, and I've had it ever since.

Lazy Game Reviews has a food channel? The same guy who makes videos restoring old Compaq desktops you'd find being hocked at Circuit City for $400.00 in the early 2000's right after critiquing literal crap from his local Goodwill? That LGR??

I never thought I'd hear LGR and DSP in the same sentence.

Yep

Wtf LGR has a food channel?

The single core performance is significantly better too. But nothing compared to the previous 10 years.

>sandwiches and noodles
truly a master

imagine being 16 and not knowing how FUCKING FAST computer shit moved before ~2006
you'd have to be rich or retarded to get new hardware in less than 5 years for basically any purpose these days, shit's so slow

Do you think LGR ever looks at his ridiculous collection of obsolete junk just sitting there in storage, less than 1% of which he will have time to make a video about, and wonders where it all went wrong?

LGR thrifts episode
>shows up at one of his local Goodwills for the 967th time
>"Hey there's my lucky rock! let's step on it for luck!"
>finds an old computer peripheral from the 90's
>"Ooooh! I remember these! My dad used to fuck me with this while I played Doom Shareware Edition! The company that made them also did distribution for these other things that are barely related, and the CFO would later on become the CEO of MadCatz."
>"...but I already have one and this ones not even in the right set.."

no wonder his content space is full of autisms.

hmm... nope
only a 5x increase in speed?
maybe if it were free...
ehh... for money?
... even free it would just barely be worth the sheer effort of upgrading...
nah... maybe next year...

Attached: compare.png (1081x848, 168K)

>imagine being 16 and not knowing how FUCKING FAST computer shit moved before ~2006
This, you would buy a decent computer and had to tone new games way down to medium two years later, and by four years of age your rig was basically useless.

You mean where it all went right.

My computing needs;
- 90% Academic work: reading docs, writing up, email, a few key websites
- 10% Down time: watching Star Trek on VLC, playing online chess

Using a core2duo on a libreboot'd X200. Comfy as fuck. The total cost of my freedom respecting setup was less than the price of a used Ryzen 1200.
OP probably pays extra for windowed PC cases, lighting mods, and motherboards with pieces of plastic with 'super gamer 4000 ultra edition hyper' written on.

Attached: annoyingkids.jpg (275x183, 11K)

My main system runs on a Q9450. What's the matter with 2009?
Also still ran an Amiga 500 in the early 2000s. Quality ages slowly.

I remember first playing skyrim on a P4 with agp graphics card. 800x600 with fxaa is an interesting aesthetic.

Got a hard time believing this one. Can't say from experience, but shouldn't oblivion have already stressed a p4 to the limit?

Considering that some enterprising lunatic ran Doom 3 on a Voodoo 2, I believe it.

iirc oblivion wasn't too bad on that machine. skyrim was mostly playable at minimum settings, except the civil war quests where you take over a town, the frame rate dropped to below single digits. I had to skip those with console commands.

I can confirm it's playable at low settings.
I think I used my P4 until about 2010 or 11.

What did you use the Amiga for?

I was still using my (heavily upgraded) Amiga 1200 in the early 2000s. I also had a crappy Celeron laptop since about 99, but only out of necessity really. I sold the Amiga in 2003 (for a fraction of its worth) when it had finally started to outlive its usefulness, to help fund a decent PC with WinXP. Considering the massive increase in hardware performance between 1993-2003, it had a pretty good run. I kind of miss it, but whenever I fire up an Amiga emulator or browse the Amiga facebook group I'm in, I start to remember that it's probably best to leave it in the past now.

Attached: 7d6.jpg (640x502, 45K)

Still rocking a phenom 2 955be

No reason to upgrade whatsoever

That comparison just shows that the progress with computers has pretty much halted ever since ~2010. SSDs becoming affordable was the last quantum leap for the average computer user.
You could blame manufacturers like Intel or Nvidia for being anti-consumer and anti-progress and holding back development so they can sell you only marginally fast hardware each year, but I am not sure if this is entirely true.
Meanwhile, hardware like RAM doubled in price without getting any better.

Attached: 1549917947101.png (303x279, 18K)

my OC i7 965 Extreme is pretty good. Only problem with my legacy cpu is that I can't run the latest VMware workstation.
I plan to upgrade my 8GB to 24 tripple channel on my DX58SO

Wow, that is quite impressive indeed. I remember Gothic 3 to be the most demanding game i played on a P4. Luckily, i switched kinda soon after to a c2d

I Played mostly old games. My family bought it used and it came with some large boxes, at least 2 or 3, full of floppy disks with games on them. Also, in the late 90s and possibly early 2000s there were still magazines dedicated to the amiga being sold, each issue coming with another game. So basically i could sift through each game one by one for a long time, including titles like syndicate, sim city, populous and other classics. The previous owner clearly had a great taste. Sadly, i decided to sell it to pay for my P4. In hindsight, I somewhat regret this choice.

Same, I almost failed a unit in my degree because I couldn't set up virtual machines for my project and lived too far away from the college to travel and work on it there every day. It wasn't until I did the resit that I remembered I had free access to Azure VMs.

Legit using a 2010 chip for my setup, a x5660
6 cores 12 threads clocked to 3.8ghz

wtf, i actually want that shirt now

I literally am. I'll upgrade when DDR5 is out.

Attached: AMD_Phenom_II_X4_965_Black_Edition.jpg (1306x1306, 138K)

Lga1366 is really golden, consider upgrading to a xeon, those things are like 50,- on ali

cunny

Attached: original_result.png (512x512, 685K)

Yup, my upgrade is also scheduled for when ddr5 is out

I considered a 6 core xeon for a while, but it probably wouldn't be worth bothering now. I'd have to re-do my overclocks and all that. Gonna do a brand new build soon.

12 years
come at me

I'm still on a 4790K too, 4.7GHz. The thing runs hot even with a water loop, but it runs my games at 4K 60FPS and VR at 90FPS just fine.

>You could blame manufacturers like Intel or Nvidia for being anti-consumer and anti-progress and holding back development
CPUs have most certainly been stagnating, but graphics cards really haven't. A graphics card from 2009 will be dogshit slow compared to a modern one, it won't even be close.

when im not using an i7, i'm using a 6510 CPU from 1983, faggot. 1mhz of power. consider suicide, retard.

If you can afford a suitable GPU that is. Prices haven't really come down since the mining craze, have they?

I know this is bait, but that's a shit analogy.
There has been a lot less progress in CPUs from 2009 to 2019 than from 1999 to 2009.

A 2009 CPU is unironically enough for what the average normalfaggot does with computers.

CPU's used to double in speed every 18 months.
Now they get maybe a 10% improvements per year.

I've kept my 3570k until last year. Owning this thing made me question the whole "intel is overpriced" meme.

>no videos so far in 2019
Did he died?

Attached: avb.webm (600x344, 1.17M)

I keep it at 3.0 for longevity's sake. I don't have a lot of money and many of these new builds don't support Windows 7 anymore, I also just find it comfy. I use a Corsair AIO cooler and I get decent temps, but only really bad when I run MMOs or core-intensive shit. I mostly play weeb games, watch YouTube, and draw stuff on my Intuos tablet. Tbh I didn't need the 1070ti.

yes. cunny indeed.

Attached: 31922f049be82c30966ec1b707c9510c.png (800x1032, 283K)

>You could blame manufacturers like Intel or Nvidia for being anti-consumer and anti-progress and holding back development

It's not their fault, it's all due to traditional lithography having hit the limits of physics and ASML having technical problems with EUV lithography.

Is a xeon worth it over a 980 or 990? I saw the latter being cheaper used.

It depends. Prices have 'come down' in the sense that you should find most cards at or around MSRP (those still in production at least). High-end is still very expensive because the MSRPs are very high, Radeon VII, RTX 2080 and RTX 2080 Ti are especially overpriced but it's not the same situation as it was with mining when street prices were inflated way beyond MSRP due to huge demand and insufficient supply.

2021 we will see first consumer ddr5

Same here, boggles my mind that it's been 10 years already. Not sure what to upgrade into yet, looking at the 9700k or the 9900k.

why do all these fags make food channels

kys pedo

Because they're genuinely talentless.

after you, feminist cancer.

>You could blame manufacturers like Intel or Nvidia for being anti-consumer and anti-progress and holding back development so they can sell you only marginally fast hardware each year, but I am not sure if this is entirely true.
You're right on both counts. It's not "entirely true" but it's definitely more true than false.
If Navi does to GPUs what Zen did to CPUs, we'll see just how much Nvidia was sitting on it's laurels.

>Core 2 Quads
2008 imac works fine with fedora ws 29.

?

>and this year your iphone is 20x faster that the previous version
>and this year your iphone is 10x faster that the previous version
>and this year your iphone is 30x faster that the previous version
>and this year your iphone is 10x faster that the previous version
>and this year your iphone is 40x faster that the previous version
>and this year your iphone is 80x faster that the previous version
>and this year your iphone is 100x faster that the previous version
>and this year your iphone is 10000x faster that the previous version

don't mind me im just waiting for phones be actually faster than my 10 year old cpu

Attached: 2019-02-16-14:52:20_658x363_scrot.png (658x363, 15K)

Any 10 year old computer is still good today if you don't play games, you just have to chuck an SSD in there.
A five year old gaming rig will still be good today if you didn't fall for the 4K meme.

I'm still trucking along nicely, I barely play vidya.

Will maybe upgrade in a few years. Or not.

t. FX-8120 with 8gb of ram.

voodoo2 and doom3 are only 7 years apart
7 years ago from now is 2012. a high end machine from 2012 should have little trouble playing new games, with some stuff turned down of course, not like doom3 on a voodoo2, which was a rather extreme stretch
should give you an idea just how slow things are now

I run dual Xeon W3680.
Launched Q1'10.

Probably faster than what you run.

How does something like a Snapdragon 845 hold up to something like a Q6600 anyway?
Pretty curious how far phones have come

Attached: 1548120665546.jpg (300x260, 14K)

>1999 to 2009
>roughly 2000% increase in performance
>2009 to 2019
>roughly 100-150% increase in performance (mostly through extra cores)
Ah yeah, there's real parity here to be made. Real Braine Genyus you are.

People forget that development from 99' to 09' was much more rapid than '09 to 19'.
Something from 99' was unusable in '09, while a high end machine from '09 is indistinguishable in normal use in '19.

Attached: 1550315941252.png (1046x388, 632K)

>technology advancements have followed a linear progression
Spot the clueless, brainlet zoomer thread.

>you'd find being hocked at Circuit City for $400.00 in the early 2000's r
No.

>OG budlzer chip
Damn user, I hope its overclocked, fx didnt start being good until the 8350 came around at 4ghz stock.

i wonder if people from /o/ have entire reaction folders with just plain photos of the front of vehicles

theres sites that compare all sorts of cpus and gpus no matter the architecture or brand.

found this one
cpuboss.com/cpus/Qualcomm-Snapdragon-800-vs-Intel-Core2-Quad-Q6600

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-02-16 09-52-41.png (1600x1200, 920K)

yes...

post the cutest one you have!

Hmm, for 2012 you'd be talking Geforce 680 or Radeon 7970 at best. Maybe slightly better than PS4, but without the driver optimisation for newer games. It's certainly doable but I would expect sub-optimal performance in most new games.

Attached: AP03.jpg (1000x695, 152K)

>It's certainly doable but I would expect sub-optimal performance in most new games.
yes, but compare it to what it took to get doom3 to run on a voodoo2, they didn't just open the game and turn the graphics down, it requires patches and extreme reduction in image quality to work at all. it's nothing more than a novelty

Attached: 2004115193533_35.jpg (800x600, 71K)

Attached: twing.jpg (575x431, 93K)