Purism Librem 5

How hard will it fail Jow Forums?
Will it be the new ubuntu phone?

I hope not, but the normies will ignore it.

Attached: shell-l5-1.png (421x881, 276K)

it's r-releasing on schedule
f-fully featured

Attached: 1524500024676.jpg (346x450, 36K)

this gone be some ouya level of shit, cant wait

Don't remind me, I wanted Ubuntu phone but they were already going away and out of stock.

Technically it will not fail because it will not come out
I hope you didn't fund this Jow Forums

Look at the bright side Jow Forumsoys
Maybe the utter and complete failure of librephone (or whatever it's called) will bury once and for all Gnome 3 and Wayland

the hype alone will make it a flop

It will fail badly, considering its price.
I bet they could have made it cheaper but (((they))) won't

Firefox OS was better than this Gnome based shit and it failed
It's going to fail bad and I don't even give a fuck
Fuck Gnome

It will come out, though probably not on schedule. Purism has been growing pretty steadily in their laptop sales. They wanted 2500 orders for the phone to make it, and they are currently around 5,000. So in that sense it's already a success.

It won't sell millions of units, but I suspect they will cross the 10,000 mark eventually (maybe on the next revision), and they aren't really aiming for more than that in any near future anyway.

Y'all can keep being contrarian skeptics, but all I see from Purism is good work

I should add that you are free to install UBPorts or Plasma mobile if you don't want GNOME

the free software movement is striped with anti-corporate sentiments on all levels. why would anyone market a smart phone to them? this was a foolish plan from day one.

It'll probably be succesful from the realistic scope of the project, but a failure by mainstream standards.

It has already started failing, anything more than 300$ for a phone is a fucking waste

>5000 preorders from lubrem
That will be 5000 people who will receive a completely different phone than what they paid for.
>specs will change
>muh freedums changed

All I need on my phone outside of regular calls/SMS is WhatsApp to stay in contact with normies and maybe some shitty browser for convenience, but I can't switch without WhatApp. That shouldn't be that difficult, right? Just give me that and I'll switch immediately.

It's proprietary software, it's not up to them whether it gets ported or not.
Given the marketshare (whooping 5000 backers) I doubt this will happen.

wayland is good

Isnt it possible to make an application with html5 of the webversion of whatsapp?

Every normie I know uses WhatApp almost exclusively these days, that's pretty much the only reason for me to use a smartphone in the first place instead of an old Nokia or something. If I can't have WhatsApp, I might as well dump that portable spy all together.

No Android runtime for apks?

Afaik the web app still needs the app running on your phone.

>Using a phone made and designed by trannies

Looking forward to it so much. Need an upgrade from my shitty Windows Phone. What a disappointment that was.

>wayland is good
haha no.

They are called normalfags. Not normies, not normalfriends, normalFAGS.

>performance of a low end 2013 phone
>OS with literally no apps
>shit screen
Very hard.

I actually hope they delay it. People on the forum are calling for a sub 5 inch screen.

Kill me.

Fud

It still needs a phone with whatsapp running on your local network.

I just care more about the hardware at this point and not some custom gnome interface. They are litterally creating GNOME Mobile.

Just why? It could of been updated and upgraded heavily through distro releases. I JUST WANT GOD DAMN WORKING FREE HARDWARE THAT ISN'T UTTER SHIT.

SO HELP ME GOD IF THEY ACTUALLY USE THOSE FUCKING CYLINDRICAL BATTERIES IN THE THINK I MIGHT FLY OVER THERE AND SLAP SOME BITCHES.

based handlets saving our battery life

even if the product fails, a lot of code went into gnome for this effort. it's a net win no matter what. It's also good to know that NXP's SoCs appear to be freedom-y enough to even be considered for a FOSS phone. In the future I may look towards an i.MX SoC for linux running microcontrollers.

>I JUST WANT GOD DAMN WORKING FREE HARDWARE THAT ISN'T UTTER SHIT.
good luck with that

IF THEY ACTUALLY USE THOSE FUCKING CYLINDRICAL BATTERIES
What the fuck are you talking about?

How did you call me you scottish shit? I will fuck your girlfriend and then i will fucking kill you!

Niche product few will look at made in limited numbers, and given low tech and a high price in order to pacify the Powers That Be to allow it even being made in the first place. There is no failure when it is planned. It will reach the enthusiasts, and be a small niche of a niche within our controlled market. No more; no less.

Don't think for one moment McAfee's privacy phone was shelved for any other reason than it worked. It's always easier to take over a board than influence a strong thinker, and legal action can drown any freedom being devised. That or heart-attack/suicide upon those free thinkers who push the boundary too hard.

"You/everyone can get paid this substantial amount of cash and look the other way or resist us and become a bankrupted/a statistic."

Maybe if it was reasonably priced, like $300-$400 it would be a viable phone. Sadly, it's WAY too expensive for its specs. They're pulling the same shit Apple does.

Attached: downs_cat.jpg (1440x2004, 864K)

They couldn't go after McAfee easily, and so they went after the board/company. McAfee got some payout, and I bet limited phone production for everyone there. This phone looks legit, but accessing it's "failure" is illogical. It is never being sold as "we are taking the market" and plenty of yuppy tech enthusiasts/hobbyist will buy it in the day and age of people buying multiple phones to have/play with. If the laptops sell so will the phone, but if you are thinking in terms of "success" or failure" you sound like a shill trying defamation which reeks of fear.

Limited production/plus I think they have to in order to make it at all. Can't have it too appealing-the gov wouldn't want that.

Then they're simply not a viable option. This is capitalism, if you can't make your products competitively priced in relation to others like it (like any other phone with those specs, mostly budget phones like the Moto g series) then you aren't going to make a profit.

And sure, there is a niche that want free software on phones but surely there aren't enough to do any better than break even, at least from experience with different Kickstarters and whatnot that were similar.

what about the pinephone? 150$ for a freedom phone is pretty good

I don’t know why people hate on purism so much. At least they’re trying, and from what I can see they seem to be the only ones really trying and putting in a good effort to support digital freedom and personal privacy in an increasingly hostile world to those two things. I would pay the 600 or whatever the pre-order price is just in support of their efforts.

You're daft, because depending upon the market it can be defined as success which IS capitalism. They don't sell beard trimmers to women, and kids are off the table. Is it a failure if everyone can't buy it by your definition? What about Lambos or that small cupcake store by your house; by definition since they can' service millions of people are they failures? You're a gov worker using BS to try and succeed where you yourself fail, and you reek of fear. Is this Biz or fucking G? Fuck off. lol

Your point of price to product does have value, but your thinking is to limited in scope. A security option in a market of limited to none still has value even if overpriced.

18650 that the dev-kit uses

It's called supply and demand, and a type of value. This is capitalism if you're so concerned about economic models, and if you're just trying to look at it business wise then look at it as a labor of love. You don't have to buy it, they care about security more than the average company even if value is indeed debatable.

The think is loaded with somewhat rare hardware and custom drivers so there's that. I expected to pay a premium.

I preordered my librem 5 but at this point I just want them to delay it so they have time to actually put the hardware into a half decent body. I wouldn't mind with as much as screen bezel. I don't think the people on the forum understand you can fix a bigger screen into the same body with less bezel.

No way, they are considering? kek