What does installing Gentoo teach you?

Attached: 1534813502760.png (817x443, 34K)

That meme distros are just that, memes

This and also that Gentoo is great

it teaches you to use linux.
i just installed gentoo last night. i feel like sex. i feel powerful.

i feel like i finally used a computer the way it was meant to be used.

real fun stuff.

How to read the fucking manual.

you're learning how to use portage and manually set up your system. it's good knowledge because you would understand what the commands actually do instead of copy and pasting them without any thought. sounds difficult at first but since the manual is really good it will become second nature.

this

how terrible wifi configuration on loonix is

this

it also made my understand more about the components in linux (you want sound for steam???) and obviously cpu flags and capabilities - also first time ive ever maxed 8 cores regularly

>after 3 months dropped it because os is not an end in itself

i think you mean i3 (with or without arch)

That you will never get laid, so you might as well stop trying.

just install networkmanager and use nmtui. I used wpa_supplicant for years so I have no need to use it

Fuck off with your faggot nu-wm and use DWM.

It teaches you that your time is precious and you should just install an adult distro such as Ubuntu, Debian, OpenSUSE or Fedora.

Yeah but reading the manual teaches you a lot. And doing it while reading is better than just reading and not doing it because you remember better with practical experience, plus if you encounter any issues the process of figuring them out will be valuable.

Definitely the most useful parts are the ones where you deviate from the 100% standard handbook install, though. On my first install I wanted full disk encryption so I had to figure out LVM, LUKS, and initramfs building, and now I know a lot more about those things than I ever did before trying Gentoo. And then, once the actual "install" is finished, the experience of starting with an extremely barebones system and adding stuff to build it up to your liking can be quite instructional, compared to a distro set up to mostly work out of the box.

It's definitely possible to just follow the handbook blindly without ever caring to understand what you're doing, pick all the defaults, it even gives you a systemd option that requires very little effort, then you install gnome, and bam you basically have Ubuntu except it's likely to have some stuff not working because you messed it up or skipped it, but it's going to be a usable Gentoo system and you will have learned nothing. That's not the point. Nor will you magically become a Linux kernel developer even if you try to learn and experiment: I am of the autistic kind that went through most of the options to slim down my kernel, but that taught me very little other than what configuration options are available.

It teaches you where you stand between ADHD fag person who can sit down and read for 2h+.

Also that Gentoo is ok if you're with the latter group and have a normal Jow Forums machine. Doesn't even need to be a Jow Forumspcbg/ gaymen box, just some okay computer.

Connman or iwd should be great. I've used the earlier for a long while now, its small, stable, reliable.

Windows or whatever got nothing on that.

This desu.

i3 has more features and the graphics look better

The art of autism.

>I need bloat features to get work done
No lol, you don't

this

>Yeah but reading the manual teaches you a lot.
Yes that's the point. You install Gentoo, RTFM, and you don't ever bother anyone with dumbshit help me threads like Ubuntu niggers, because you RTFM, and everything works.

But most people do not RTFM. They just search for the shortest "install gentoo"-tutorial and don't care if they learn anything while installing it

I also prefer awesome wm. Dwm is not terribly great, good if it works for you tho.

I3 is garbage tier while having less features than dwm

But those aren't the people installing Gentoo "to learn". They're installing Gentoo for the "hacker cred", or because they heard it was faster, or something.

they are also the people that call it shit because nothing worked for them

Good