/hpg/ - headphone general

>Requesting purchase advice
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

>Jow Forums headphone wiki
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread:

Attached: 71447128_p0.jpg (2160x3840, 3.51M)

Other urls found in this thread:

dropbox.com/s/61srehjyaltd7w0/Stax SR-009S.pdf?dl=0
dropbox.com/s/dm0m6u3s3b4zqzl/Sennheiser HD600.pdf?dl=0
aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=17441
mega.nz/#F!3MFm1DrD!4GlU_vNtEeF148kZcQ05wA
youtube.com/watch?v=Bf38cKJ6NBc
blurbusters.com/faq/crt-comparison/
blurbusters.com/persistence-vs-motion-blur/
youtube.com/watch?v=5Zsm3VjuHkk
youtube.com/watch?v=xiK2JlBpzvI
youtube.com/watch?v=Kv1rYcepTEQ
youtube.com/watch?v=wJjOwRlaBgE
youtube.com/watch?v=-r679Hhs9Zs
youtube.com/watch?v=AdzHBpxZWVM
youtube.com/watch?v=SfPQB-mtQDY
youtube.com/watch?v=twoUhSR-OEY
youtube.com/watch?v=FLrTnb5EPUA
youtu.be/_fNgx27eQIY
youtube.com/watch?v=yRx_jX1ioOQ
youtube.com/watch?v=z97-4OhC1FE
youtube.com/watch?v=Isic2Z2e2xs
youtube.com/watch?v=WXm3zet4d7I
my.mixtape.moe/hysqpz.mp3
my.mixtape.moe/pzfnli.mp3
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

STAX = BAD

why the FUCK do people think these shitty needle anime feet look good

Attached: photo_2019-02-11_07-48-56.jpg (720x720, 47K)

What listen you on foneheads user

Attached: IMG_20190216_120753.jpg (480x720, 64K)

Redpill on STAX: STAX is an old Jap company with outdated tech that was considered high end back in the 1960s and 1970s but sounds like ass by today's standards, so they went nearly bankrupt. They were purchased by a Chinese company for just a million dollars who decided to market STAX to the audiophool "more expensive is better" demographic who buys those crappy $3000 vinyl players, they shill heavily on HeadFi and here on /hpg/, plus they pay Zeos to shill their crap just like Fostex does.

>In December 2011, Chinese loudspeaker manufacturer Edifier announced the acquisition of 100% equity in Stax

Oratory has measured the highest end STAX, the SR-009S.

dropbox.com/s/61srehjyaltd7w0/Stax SR-009S.pdf?dl=0

dropbox.com/s/dm0m6u3s3b4zqzl/Sennheiser HD600.pdf?dl=0

It's worse than the HD600. HD600 scored 92 and SR-009S scored 76.

In a separate study:

>The very highest end STAX ($4000 SR-009) was rated lower in blind tests than a $200 K701

aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=17441

Download the PDF of the study at: mega.nz/#F!3MFm1DrD!4GlU_vNtEeF148kZcQ05wA

Even best Stax headphones sound objectively worse than mid-fi. This is why they don't demo them in store, they rely on the internet to create a sense of mystique around STAX and shill it as the endgame because its expensive, Asian, rare and obscure. In reality its no bass sounding garbage, with shrill highs that appeal only to near-deaf boomers. They have relatively high distortion, way higher than high end planars. And what they say is true, they have no soundstage.

To add insult to overpriced injury, they have shitty plastic build quality that you would expect on cheap chinkshit headphones:

youtube.com/watch?v=Bf38cKJ6NBc

Attached: STAX distortion.png (1200x698, 133K)

dazed and confused - led zeppelin was my cherry popper for stax
was like i had a bass playing right next to me

Wow I'm usually not that critical of bad proportions but this guy has a really fucked up idea of how perspective works. The proportions taken in the picture by both feet that are at different distances looks like the sort of dramatic perspective conjured by wide angle lenses. But I don't see the distortion that wide angle lenses should produce, which makes this look extra unnatural.

BASED

and BLACKPILLED

BASED AND OBJECTIVEPILLED

Attached: STAX vs Beats.jpg (4032x3024, 2.53M)

>ctrl f stax

Attached: 1510871190379.gif (286x258, 2.51M)

What's the highest impedance headphone this thing can drive?

Attached: Signature Series Walkman.jpg (1200x1200, 90K)

STAX!

Attached: STAX virgins.jpg (4032x3024, 3.14M)

How can STAX fags ever recover?

>buying sorny
lol this nigger

I don't have them, just trying to find out what dedicated MP3 players can do before I pull the trigger on some other brand like Fiio or Astell & Kern.

Its more important to listen to a song you're used to than worry about production. Unless you're listening to indeshit or 90s swedish black metal you should be fine

there is literally zero reason for a crt in 2019. literally, objectively, technological etc so why?

>zero reason for a crt in 2019
blurbusters.com/faq/crt-comparison/
You are wrong and this link is still relevant in 2019 because all the ways LCD use to fix their blurry motion introduces their own issues. ULMB for example removes contrast and brightness. Most of the fast panels look like garbage too with mediocre backlight consistency, colors and so on.
CRT were always the best compromise technologically, the only reason they died is because people have become weak motherfuckers who can't lift weight.

STAX headphones have extremely high distortion.

Attached: SR507_Disto_Right.png (1170x680, 133K)

there is literally zero reason for a STAX in 2019. literally, objectively, technological etc so why?

outdated post. that same website has articles about new lcds being better than crts.
there are 240hz lcds with 0.5 - 1 ms persistence now, you are literally braindead retarded for picking crt over lcd in 2019.
blurbusters.com/persistence-vs-motion-blur/

>outdated post. that same website has articles about new lcds being better than crts.
Better than CRTs when it comes to motion blur, at the cost of literally everything else - maximum brightness, contrast, colors, general panel quality. LCD can't achieve that level of CRT like motion without heavy compromises and that's what you failed to read in my post you fucktard. With that level of reading comprehension how did you make it to adulthood?

no
stay dumb your problem

Reposting my issue on a new thread

I have a 5-yo m50x. This morning I put them on and everything sounded beyond fucked. Certain parts of songs like the main vocals sound incredibly muffed, like it's someone talking on the other side of a big room, or are just completely gone.
Both sides of the headphones have the exact same problem. I tried fiddling with the cable a bit but it didn't change the sound at all or produce any static.
This happens both on my PC and phone, just listened to the same song on both and they have the same issues. Superman by Goldfinger (shut up, my playlist was on shuffle) has only the drums, keyboards and back vocals, the horns, main vocals and guitars are completely absent

Am I just fucked?

Attached: mustard_seedsa6a90584fea8d35cc4f9286ff3fc5001.jpg (660x850, 168K)

Those 240 hz ULMB style backlight panels LCDs are so fucking disgusting looking nobody but gamers would suffer this indignity. Absolute garbage panels. One of my gamer friends bought the FG2421 when that sort of smooth motion LCD came out and immediately returned it after puking over its insane backlight bleeds.
You are the one who's staying dumb as a brick.
LCDs only achieve smooth motion by sacrificing everything, include the very things that can make LCDs somewhat nicer for some other uses than gaming. I'd sooner take a blurry motion 4k Dell panel over your gamer garbage and that's coming from someone who has lived through the era of nice, smooth motion Iiyama CRTs and miss them dearly.

Are there any headphones that take advantage of multichannel audio cards? E.g. line out, rear, c/sub

Sorry for being retarded

no because that makes zero sense
i'm not the one missing out

gamers are the dumbest audience ever and if someone tells you he's a gamer on Jow Forums his opinion can be instantly discarded
They can stomach any sort of defect in a LCD panel so long as it's fast
the only thing that can save us from the LCD plague is OLED but OLED don't have great life expectancy

Attached: GAMERZ.jpg (1008x756, 39K)

enjoy that crt flicker and radiation, your eyes will thank you later

That's disgusting, user.

>enjoy that crt flicker
you know someone had a poor childhood in a poorfag household when they say this
CRTs with higher refresh rates didn't have troublesome flicker. If all you ever had was 60hz and less of course you'd think it's bad.

thoughts on Citrus+?

Lads, what are some good songs or albums to test a high end headphone with?

Songs that are well mastered and have good variety of sounds.

Attached: Chad Focal.jpg (643x483, 247K)

I have a hard time believing the cable could be at fault for doing this in such a consistent manner across both channels. I also have a hard time believing both transducers got damaged/burned out in the exact same way leaving no imbalance.
You sure someone is not playing a bad prank on you and installed software to remove frequencies from your system sound? or that the hearing damage is not coming from you?

1/ Bass test
youtube.com/watch?v=5Zsm3VjuHkk
youtube.com/watch?v=xiK2JlBpzvI
youtube.com/watch?v=Kv1rYcepTEQ
youtube.com/watch?v=wJjOwRlaBgE
2/ Imaging
youtube.com/watch?v=-r679Hhs9Zs
youtube.com/watch?v=AdzHBpxZWVM
youtube.com/watch?v=SfPQB-mtQDY
3/ midrange high gain guitars saturation
youtube.com/watch?v=twoUhSR-OEY
youtube.com/watch?v=FLrTnb5EPUA
youtu.be/_fNgx27eQIY
earpiercing youtube.com/watch?v=yRx_jX1ioOQ
4/ acoustic instruments
youtube.com/watch?v=z97-4OhC1FE
youtube.com/watch?v=Isic2Z2e2xs
youtube.com/watch?v=WXm3zet4d7I

same stuff you usually listen to as that's your only point of reference

The person I live doesn't mess with anything tech-related other than playing whatever's new on the PS4. Also, my phone has a fingerprint lock. Also I'm pretty sure my hearing is ok because everything sounds fine on my speakers
So the weirdest thing here is that both sides got fucked in the same way? This is my first pair of "good" headphones and this is the first time they're giving me any sort of problems so I'm a bit lost here

The curved glass on CRTs are pretty gross.
Having it weigh a ton and needing reinforced desks to use it makes no sense.
It hurts my eyes to read on a CRT for more than an hour.
Having a humming sound coming from it is pretty annoying.
CRTs are dead and should stay that way.

I wish my setup was half as comfy

>The curved glass on CRTs are pretty gross.
>t. never owned a decent Iiyama or Sony Trinitron
Dude, you never owned a really good CRT. You don't know what you're talking about, anything you say about the matter is void.

Attached: 604D7E91-9A58-4A6D-B8CB-BD8F21AF61FC.jpg (3809x2692, 1.96M)

Anything on YT is compressed to 128kbps so where would the original sources be?

just google and find yourself if those interest you, I'm not going to upload the entire collection with my shitty DSL
most of it should also be available on spotify I believe

Attached: 975066CF-9FE0-4E76-AB88-4B9CF3FB3B9E.jpg (3693x3024, 2.01M)

>crt
>2019

Attached: 1516554337902.jpg (588x823, 109K)

>current year memeing
kys genz

>20 yo underage drinker
>calling others genz
Commit kys zoomer

Attached: 69AD5763-EA31-4435-A312-049DF1776DC6.jpg (2811x2728, 1.46M)

yep i'm the zoomer boogeyman invading your niche as fuck general shitting on CRTs that's what zoomers do.

Imagine having a weak desk, pathetic.

I don't enjoy this kind of music, but the percussion and the bass sound quite good and uncompressed.

my.mixtape.moe/hysqpz.mp3

I'm not the guy you think I am. Queensryche boomer mostly doesn't interact with retarded trolls, but I'm more than willing to shit on yall.
And I'm past my thirties, loser.

>those proportions
what kind of retard drew this

That looks equally bad. Even my feet looks better lmao

ATH M50's right ear just died on me
should i try to break it open and fix it or just get something new

Attached: 1474035853541.png (469x423, 435K)

Attached: E24A2891-E441-4064-8DC7-3BB06FEE5A90.jpg (2715x3340, 1.61M)

ewwww

Isn't that also an MP3 streaming service?

4:3 anime Doesnt look as good on a flat panel and is also Pillarboxed and that upsets me Didnt know that existed

oh fuck this is brilliant Yeah QB here holy shit I blacked out lastnight while wearing my ET1000s

If you know how to solder and are a poorfag it couldn't hurt to try to see if it's the cable linking the two cups that broke. It's not the hardest type of thing to solder. M50X disassembly may be annoying though

>4:3 anime Doesnt look as good on a flat panel
Yeah upscaling of low resolution content never truly got good either. Upscaling algos might produce slightly better results on 4k panels though because the density of pixels will allow the production of a smoother image. For the same reason CRT sim shaders for arcade gaming also work better with 4k vs older 1080p panels.
CRT still are best when you deal with arbitrary resolution content rather than natively high definition though.

What was the OP?

If you're into metal, I recommend you Tool. I think it's the less compressed metal band I've heard.

I enjoy the 3:00-3:45 part of this song:
my.mixtape.moe/pzfnli.mp3

thanks, never soldered, but im hoping it's something simpler than that in there

weebshit for footfags

some footfagotry
was being forced for over 3 threads or so now

i finally had some time to really test these
i would say they're probably the best value headphones right now, they sound rather neutral, maybe a bit recesed on the highs but i've been using the DT1990 a lot lately and that's probably impacting my perception of neutrality
imaging is great, soundstage is big but in a realistic way, they're not overly detailed but not lacking it either, you just need to look for it instead of being assaulted by it like on the dt1990
only real problem is the weight, they have a lot of padding so they don't feel heavy on the top of my head but as soon as i move my head around i can really feel them pulling me around

Attached: 54.jpg (4160x3120, 359K)

lol the mods didn't remove the pic of some of the more nsfw-ish ones but they removed this one. They recognized OP posted a true eyesore drawn by someone who should have cut his right hand. Based mods.

Maybe.

Attached: SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSNAP.jpg (1536x2048, 570K)

kek
i'm pretty sure he'll send you a new headband if you ask him
did they arrive like that or is your head unnaturally wide?

Attached: 1518926732004.gif (639x720, 439K)

I feel for you user. Broken in transit, I guess ?

I mostly agree with your statement. The weight is the strangest part. I don't consider them heavy on head, but they do if you move your head or something, yet they're not as heavy as some of my other headphones (Focal Elex).

They aren't mine, lol. They're from someone who expected a steel headband to be bendable a little and he faced the regrets when he realized it's hardened steel, the type that just breaks off. Garuspik is actually going to send him a free replacement, kudos to him, but bad design I'd say.

redpill me on "self adjusting" headband like those. Assuming you had the perfect head, even with the metal part broken couldn't you still wear it normally?

Attached: 1550304786935.jpg (500x500, 92K)

i'm thinking the problem may be due to how tight the earcups are screwed to the headband, they can't move around freely so when you move instead of adjusting themselves they drag the whole thing around
the headband definitely needs to be redesigned but a better one will likely be more expensive to make, if you followed the building updates most of the process is made to be as scalable and cost effective as possible

>cost effective as possible
well, cost effective for someone who does small runs and doesn't own a large business and supply chain
it's all relative
for some brands getting a nicely made headband built by the thousands won't cost them much
ultimately this is just another boutique product by some random in his garage
Cups will move more on their axis without the support up there
also it's not what is most commonly called self adjusting. Fully self adjusting means you never have to manually adjust a setting to have them fit your head : these are not it. See the L and R thingies? you can screw and unscrew them to lower or raise the leather headband. That's not self adjusting. That's permanently adjusting the height and you need to unscrew it and readjust by screwing again if you lend them to someone else. Must be the most annoying headphone to demo, ever.

the headband make the earcups clamp into your head, if it's broken then you won't have a proper seal and the low end will go to shit

great thread

Honest question here,
i own the HD58X, 6XX and 660S, the local sennheiser store is having a 50%off sale, should i buy the HD600 or should i just go for the HD800S?

lol

based objectivist

you must be trolling? HD6XX/650 and HD600 are almost the same headphone. The only people who don't think so are plain nuts or just trolling. Get the HD800S and leave the HD6 hell hole already.

Attached: HD6XXvs.jpg (946x480, 215K)

i also own the L300LE, how do the HD800S compare against those?

which site did you use to compare?

worst troll ever
jimmies rustling level : frozen

You know it's true.

Attached: leftymemes.jpg (1089x600, 110K)

not even trolling, they also have the HDV 820 amp/DAC at the local equivalent to $1100USD, is it good for that price?
i'm currently using the atom + D10

Sonarworks, but any respectable source of measurement will concur. The difference is negligible. Much of it is within 1dB margin: 1dB drop or raise is audible if you concentrate hard enough during the A/B of music but it's not at the point where tonality dramatically changes for worse or better. In fact the treble response of the HD6 series changes more as you move the positioning of the cups on your head than it does by picking a HD600 vs HD650 fight.

Attached: hd600-vs-hd650.png (1228x713, 95K)

rightoids confirmed retarded

Are HD600's worth looking at if I only got the 58X? They're still shipping so I don't know if I'll like them or not, cause I'm only now dipping my toes into mid-fi, and have only had a few pairs of headphones in my life a long time ago, mostly used speakers and a single pair of neutral-ish IEMs for the past year or two.

I don't see why anyone would purchase the HD600 when the 650/6XX is cheaper and has actual driver matching

I own the L300LE and tried the HD800S on their $2.5k amp. It's a downgrade in fidelity unless you are looking for soundstage but there are more interesting things at those kinds of prices (K1000, 007, etc)

Not worth it.
>650
Discontinued, no stock available in many shops, soon none at all
>6XX
Because you don't want to wait for massdrop shipping, possibly random as fuck import taxes depending on where you live or deal with shitty customer service.
Assdrop is mostly interesting for US fags.

thanks, i think i'll save my money for something better

That's exactly why you should buy one now online while its still available. That way you don't have to settle for the inferior model due to sennheisers jewry.

L700 is probably the best the world and I'm not going to get into an argument about L300LE vs L700 but your only way forward is to start getting better at EQ and compensating for your HRTF or start hunting unique headphones (or both). also seal mod the L300LE.

i'll probably just upgrade my speakers then
i was thinking on buying the blacked LS50 i can get them at a good price but they're too much of a meme desu, i could also save a bit more and just get the buchardt S300

build some lxminis for $500. also get rid of your sennheisers. their "balanced" sound can easily be EQ'd into the L300LE by adding in bass after being sealed.

too ugly, for $500 i would rather get the Swan 3.1 kit