/odg/ - Optical Disc General

What do you use optical discs for?

Resources:
osta.org/technology/cdqa2.htm
infogalactic.com/info/DVD-RAM
youtube.com/channel/UCy0tKL1T7wFoYcxCe0xjN6Q
^- for high-quality OD review videos

Attached: odg banner 5.jpg (4592x3056, 3.74M)

Not much to be honest, I'd like to use MD-Data to archive important documents because I like the retrofuturism but the drives are prohibitively expensive
I'd like to buy some laserdiscs in the future but I'll need a quality CRT

Attached: Minidisc_MD_data_(front).jpg (2338x1754, 747K)

>MD-Data to archive important documents
Why not use M-DISC instead? Imagine scientists centuries later looking up your files. Or you can use regular discs with a regular drive. I recommend BD-R, DVD-RAM and medical DVD/CD.
Sure, you can try doing it on an MD for retrofuturism, like you said, but I simply recommended alternative archival solutions.

I just think MD-Data looks cool
To be honest I'll probably use HDDs for cold storage

HDD's get sectorswaps over time when left unpowered and SSD data simply fades. Is 100Gb on one disc not enough for you?
By the way, you can post pics of your MD's if you have any, that may be used for OP image in the next thread.

I wonder if the user who posted these is still around.

Attached: 1548416790772.jpg (4592x3056, 3.62M)

/drg/ - Disc Rot General

i think there should be storage and archiving general where anons discuss all kinds of storage mediums optical discs included.
but i use m-discs, user.

Attached: bondage.webm (542x720, 367K)

>i think there should be storage and archiving general where anons discuss all kinds of storage mediums optical discs included.
Good idea, I think LTO is an interesting technology, so far it is ahead of even HDD's in capacity. Would you like to co-maintain such thread.

>implying inorganic materials rot
>What's BD-R, rewriteable formats and M-DISC?

dunno if i'd maintain it but i would definitely stick around since i'm a data hoarder myself and i'm pretty sure there are plenty of anons like me as well. optical discs are kind of niche and expanding the topics covered in threads like these would make sense.

Attached: 12big.jpg (4470x3000, 3.61M)

Alright, I'll consider making such thread. But have you tried BDXL?

dunno, man. they're kind of expensive and franky speaking i'm completely fine with dvd m-discs. could upgrade to single layer bd, though.

All storage formats can fail

That's great! Based on experience, BDXL can be tricky, with its price best price/Gb ratio is reached with BD DL in bulk. Upgrading to Blu-ray is totally worth the weight, regular BD's have much higher longevity than DVD because the data layer is inorganic, unless it's an LTH disc, plus you can watch movies on Blu-ray. Though don't bother with cheap chinkshit external drives that don't support BD DL and XL.
>back up data using an HDD, SSD and DVD
>leave them
>come back 10 years later
>half the files on the HDD are corrupt or the drive is completely fucked
>SSD faded, most files are lost
>DVD is just the same
Yes they all can fail, but after how long?

Hard drives don't fail by just sitting around, what the hell

Then the plates might lose their magnetization.
By the way, I'll have to leave for eight hours. Anons, please maintain this thread. We've all once used optical media.

>You'll never be a rich japanese executive watching HD movies in '93

Attached: 1329908-back-to-the-future-trilogy-muse-hivision-laserdisc-ld-1125i-hd-japan-ultra-rare.jpg (1200x676, 101K)

I am here, yes. I just don't have anything to contribute.

Attached: DSC04018.jpg (4592x3056, 3.74M)

Hi-md can be used for this, but it's quiet expensive still and only 1gb in capacity

I wish that Bluray drives/discs had dropped to the same price as DVD. I want to use Blurays for archiving all my pirated games/videos but £80 for 100 50GB discs and £100 for a decent external Bluray burner is insane.