/wdg/ - Web Development General

Previous thread: >Beginner Roadmap and Overview
github.com/kamranahmedse/developer-roadmap
youtube.com/watch?v=UnTQVlqmDQ0

>Free beginner resources to get started
Get a good understanding of HTML, CSS and JavaScript.
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn - a good introduction to HTML/CSS/JS and Node.js or Django
freecodecamp.org - curriculum including HTML/CSS/JS, React, Node.js, Express, and MongoDB
javascript.info - curriculum providing a strong basis in JavaScript

>Further learning resources and documentation
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web - excellent documentation for HTML, CSS & JS
hackr.io - crowdsourced collection of tutorials from across the web for learning languages and libraries (ignore sponsored stuff, look at upvotes)
learnxinyminutes.com - quick reference sheets for the syntax of many different languages (generally not sufficient on their own for learning something, but very helpful)
pastebin.com/gfBPg24A - Everything PHP

>Asking questions
jsfiddle.net - Use this and post a link, if you need help with your HTML/CSS/JS
3v4l.org/ - Use this and post a link, if you need help with PHP/HackLang

Attached: wdg.png (1280x720, 252K)

Other urls found in this thread:

tutorialspoint.com/socket.io/socket.io_hello_world.htm
socket.io/get-started/chat/#Integrating-Socket-IO
socket.io/blog/socket-io-2-0-0/
mixedreality.mozilla.org/
serverfault.com/questions/275982/what-type-of-dns-record-is-needed-to-make-a-subdomain
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

So my websites are written in Django but they have no strong front end. I don't want to do anything majestic, just a modular pseudo-minimalistic flat UI and plug in some Ajax.

Should I use a framework? If so, are angular or vue slow? I've been inclined towards vue because I heard it's small.

I don't want to bloat my website because it's on a low resources server. True, pretty much no one visits it but I want it to have a good performance for autistic reasons.

The popular frontend frameworks are fairly well optimized.
Not only for speed, but it will also be much more maintainable compared to writing your own declarative-rendering library, unless you put in a ton of work up-front first. And even then you would have to reinvent everything from routing to state management once you need it.
>just a modular pseudo-minimalistic flat UI and plug in some Ajax.
>I don't want to bloat my website because it's on a low resources server.
I mean, if you have a decoupled static frontend and just fetch some data via AJAX, then it doesn't really matter for the server which framework you are or aren't using

How can I make extentions such as mysite.com/services rather than mysite.com/services.php or .html?

Is it possible to chain synchronous rest calls?

I have a node.js service which gets called from the client with a rest call but would then have to perform a rest call from service2 to fetch the data for the client.

service2 can't be called from the client directly.

sure, just make the function of the endpoint async and await the response of service2
Should be the responsibility of the webserver.
When someone loads mysite.com/services, have the webserver return the resource at that location, that has a .html or .php ending

What service plan should I choose with Bluehost in order to start three blogs with separate website names? This shit is so fucking confusing and I don't want to get raped in the ass for picking the wrong thing. I just want to have three blogs that are privacy protected so that I don't get targeted by scammers and spammers if they go to look up my personal info.

Jewish background web advertising and site traffic stuff would be a massive bonus. I'm willing to set aside like $400 to give this a real chance and I'm okay with failing as long as I give it a real shot. Being able to shitpost professionally about topics I'm passionate about would be a dream come true.

What does /wdg/ think of preact?

bluehost is trash if you are non-it just get a siteground shared plan
if you can stand some error messages buy a vps

Where can I find free(as in freedom) bootstrap templates?

The cheapest option, that allows you to host 3 sites.
Also it's generally a good idea to keep your domain and hosting separate with different companies.
Domain from namecheap, hosting somewhere else for example.
If you use a static site generator you can even host everything for free and don't need a shared hosting provider.
>Jewish background web advertising
what?

I'm familiar with basic programming in C#, enough to make some text based games and use monogame to make a very simple graphically based game but I know absolutely fucking nothing about websites.
So get three domain names from namecheap and then have them hosted on siteground using like the middle plan?
>Jewish background web advertising
I was under the assumption that these companies do web-traffic suggestion stuff to help bring traffic to your site but my actual knowledge is non-existent. I have no idea how people actually find sites on the internet.

Attached: plans.png (1288x640, 215K)

Thanks sir async await works!

guess so, if shared hosting is what you are looking for.

Is an AJAX call every second better or worse than keeping a socket open?

I don't know sockets or node yet and I'm going to have about 1000 people needing constant updates from my server. I have 2 weeks to develop.

I was thinking of storing events in a db per user. They would check every second to see if they have no events. Actions would occur if they do. It doesn't need to be instant, but it would need to check every second, so that's like 1000 requests per second.

Waaay better with a socket.

Sockets are better absolutely, not even a question

How do I do that? Also I noticed if I just load mysite.com/services it shows a list of all the files in the directory. How can I prevent this?

Just saw some lady in a Facebook group looking for a freelancer. Thought I'd help her out because I don't have shit to do today.
>"I'm on a low budget."
>"That's OK, I have nothing to do today. What's your budget?"
>"$150"
>"That's pretty low, but I'll help you out, it shouldn't take long at all"
>Just some HTML/CSS
>Questions before job.
>1. Years experience with HTML/CSS
>Answer: 6
>2. Show me 5 sites you've built
>3. What's the proper way to load images for speed?
>Answer: There are mutliple ways to do this. Compression, etc.
>"Ohhhhh :) You didn't get question 3 right!"
>*posts (multiple) ways including compression*
>a literal google copy/paste
>"sorry, I don't think you're a fit for this for getting that wrong"
>me: "lol ok, take care"
Is this what freelancers deal with?

Attached: 1547797108619.jpg (472x840, 45K)

You got to read the docs of your webserver or just google it. It's a common thing, so you shouldn't have a hard time finding something helpful.
Same with listing directory content.
You can disable that either in .htaccess in Apache or some other setting in Nginx, depending on what it is you are using.
actually pretty funny if that really happened

Ah, shit.

I don't know node, so I need a second of help.

I have my front-end hosted with some other site. Can I use JS on their server to interact with node and sockets on my site?

I would have started billing her 85 an hour at the start of that questionnaire.

also I think the correct answer was lazy loading.

You can use sockets with any backend.
>Can I use JS on their server
You mean JS on the client?
Just like a client can send an AJAX request, you can establish a socket connection from the client to some server.

>actually pretty funny if that really happened
It did, lol. It is funny as hell. In her original posting, she complained about people "not knowing how to write code". I'm now among those people. Completely fine, I get back to my real job monday.

I've freelanced before, I told her my normal rate was $50-100/hr. depending on time. Was going to do something nice and help her out.

Not according to her. She wanted an article. Would have taken me 10 minutes to write her answer off the top of my head. Her other questions were 10 minutes as well(there were more than the 3 I posted).

Ok, I'm just not sure if I need to package any dependencies on their server for it to work.

What do you mean with 'their server'?
Aren't they just hosting the assets?

Yeah. They just host the assets and I host the back-end.

Basically I have a lot of people looking at their specific page on my server. That page needs to be updated live when something happens on the other server with my hosted files.

I imagine I make a post request to my node server with the people's ID and then can tell socket to push it to the person with that ID or something like that.

Currently following this tutorialspoint.com/socket.io/socket.io_hello_world.htm

>6
>get cucked out of the interview by some web iliterate lady
topest of keks

it's pretty confusing when you say 'their server', 'my server', 'their page', 'my site'
That makes it sound like there is more involved than just one frontend and one backend.
>I imagine I make a post request to my node server with the people's ID and then can tell socket to push it to the person with that ID or something like that.

You have the client establish a socket connection with the server (in which you tell the server who the client is) and just keep it open, so the server can send data to the client whenever there is something new.

>Currently following this
That tutorial was written when Node was at version 5. Didn't even see which socket.io version that's for.
What's the reason you are not reading the official docs on the socket.io website?

I learn turbo-fast from tutorials. I just need to find a good one that will sent data over sockets and a client-side page that listens.

Maybe this picture explains it better.

Attached: stuff.png (1101x623, 22K)

Also the clients staring at the page are going to a URL with their ID. Guess it's called a route or something. Then they will listen with their ID to the back-end. I think that's how it works.

I love redesigning my website every 3 months.

It's likely that it's using a very old version, that might not do everything the same as the latest socket.io.
That tutorial was written with Node 5. Node 6 came out April 2016.
Current Node is version 11.

socket.io/get-started/chat/#Integrating-Socket-IO

I'm using node 8.9.3 and npm 5.5.1

socket.io 2.0.0 came out May 2017, after that tutorial was written
socket.io/blog/socket-io-2-0-0/

is webdev even worth pursuing (besides as a freelance side job)? isn't it among the lowest paying CS careers?

>is webdev even worth pursuing
No. Get lost newfag.
>isn't it among the lowest paying CS careers?
Not even close, in fact, it's among the highest. Low-tier is help desk/IT type jobs.

If money is the only factor, then it shouldn't be hard to pick one specific dev field that is the highest paying one on average.
(Assuming you really don't care if you enjoy doing something or not)

There is also lots of variety in webdev. Can't really compare Enterprise Fullstack with self-employed freelance or Agency template-monkey.

why should I use typescript? It looks super verbose and inconvenient compared to plain javascript.

do you need or want type checking?
use typescript.

you don't?
don't

It's not bad. Not too hard to get 130k with a 70k sign on bonus after like 2 years of being a dev even without a degree. Plus you can always do blockchain and machine learning for the bigger bux.

I'm just going to use whatever this tutorial does. Trying to figure out route parameters with express and getting post vars.

Only question I really have now is do I have to run my node server on my server itself? Does it ever crash? I'd like to run it through putty to monitor connections but I'm not entirely sure if it will stop running on the server if putty crashes...lol

what is that 1000 user project you are doing for?

Twitch.

>Plus you can always do blockchain and machine learning for the bigger bux.
Not him. But I just saw this: mixedreality.mozilla.org/

I'm sure VR is going to open the doors for many more jobs in web dev. I'm learning this shit now before I regret it in 5 years when it's booming.

Neato, thanks. Already thought of a good business application for that.

ah, the Twitch extension competition user
PM2 is a good way to run your Node servers. Handles automatic restarts (just in case), can relaunch the Node server after a VPS reboot, can be used to easily view the ongoing logs of your servers, etc.

>the Twitch extension competition user
Yes, and only 2 weeks left to finish this one and make a video for it. Also have a coding test for the Streamlabs hiring people due within 2 weeks. AHHHHH!

Thanks for the info about PM2 and the chat tutorial.

>tfw react/angular webnigger in eastern europe for €20k/year

Attached: 151625951542.jpg (700x700, 417K)

>€20k/year
you must live like a king there

get a remote job for the US

well no
how would I go about doing that?

no idea :^)

How do you not live like a king in your country with that salary? I don't get it.

because expats from the west are pricing everyone out, making slightly north of €1k a month is peanuts

So I know there are TLD (Top Level Domains) and LLD (Lower Level Domains), and from what I've read you can have many many lower level domains, and if so how can I achieve that, for example:

god.has.forgotten.me

That will just redirect to /b/, but how can I have multiple subdomains linked together, my hosting provides me with a tool to create subdomains but just one.

>because expats from the west are pricing everyone out
fucking niggers, man

Newfag here. Apologies if I'm not posting in the correct thread.
I'm developing a site using headless drupal backend and vue.js frontend.
Is there any open source content moderation library that actually works, AI or otherwise? Trying to mitigate the retarded EU Article 13 horseshit.

Alright I'm using jade but aparently that sucks, what should I use instead for express?

serverfault.com/questions/275982/what-type-of-dns-record-is-needed-to-make-a-subdomain

You mean Pug?
What problems are you having for what you are doing with it?

>what should I use instead for express?
react SSR

quick question, what's the general rule about how many divs a website should have? i've seen people nesting too many divs without aparent reason, what is the correct practice regarding this? it is harmful to have too many and i should avoid them as much as possible?

also, EJS is a good alternative if you like HTML to look native...

what do you guys have on your personal websites?

i'm rebuilding mine, and reconsidering whether i really need a gay little bio about my academic history or the music i like, or whether i want links to shit like social media.

There is no rule really, as long as the elements are necessary for the content you want to display.
Usually the more familiar you are with CSS, the better you can organize and utilize those elements, which helps to avoid unnecessary nesting.

Seems overly complicated

i used to have a bio section but i removed it because it was stupid. mine just shows a selection of interesting projects i've done. some are personal, some aren't.

>work on my website all the time
>its a great site for my niche hobby
>share it with the community
>"thats cool"
>nobody uses it
JUST
i keep working on it because i like it, but it feels futile

Couple (overdue) updates on Maniwani: The Docker image supports an update target/command now that automatically migrates your existing database if necessary, plus pushes any new static content to your S3 store if you're running one of those. The real new feature since I lasted posted, however, is the live update API as seen in pic related.

Basically, you can get notified the instant a new post or thread is made in a thread or board you're subscribed to. Subscribing/unsubscribing is handled with a simple JSON-backed POST request, and the actual notifications use the server-sent event standard - ideally within a couple days, I'll add live update support on the frontend, so new threads are immediately seen in the catalog without refreshing and new posts likewise immediately show up, and after all that happens I'll push the update to Futatsu.

On a side note, I know a decent chunk of people have been asking for an alternative to reCAPTCHA, and I've been working on that too; the keystore functionality needed for a custom CAPTCHA was also needed for live updates (Maniwani needs either redis or its own custom mini keystore/pubsub server to work now), so hopefully I'll knock out a CAPTCHA that isn't botnet and ideally doesn't require JS soon, so please wait warmly.

Attached: liveupdateapi.jpg (3142x850, 202K)

If a client who's looking for a freelancer starts quizzing you or writing the scope statements then take it as a huge red flag and politely tell them to fuck off since they're wasting your time.
Even if you got her little bullshit trivia questions right you would not want to work with her.

Well mate just do it for yourself. It may never go boom, but at least you're doing something that you regard as meaningful.

It may not be a thing, although it may, but it can also lead you into something that is a thing, or something that still isn't, but brings you a deeper sense of meaning.

>start new web dev position in big corp
>everyone says 'dub-dub-dub'
>immediately gets under my nerves
i've never heard this until i started this job and spent several years working mostly backend, some full stack positions

I can't believe this shit. It's 7 am, haven't slept, trying to make this work (plus some wasted time)

problem: getParsedBody returns empty array,
do headers, do BodyParamsMiddleware,
get some stupid ass shit back from parsed body

and this shit fucking works:
$body = json_decode($request->getBody()->getContents());
when I do $body->name or whatever

what the fuck, I had it working with getParsedBody 2 months ago on a different project

mfw some mother fucker says S-Q-L instead of sequel

Literally all of my associates say S Q L. I'm starting to wonder if I'm the one that's wrong

>work on my website all the time
>nobody uses it

link?

But these frontend frameworks lock you in.

I want seperate libraries and update or switch these libraries. I want a component library. A seperates router library. Render library and some library that holds state etc etc.

Does anyone think we will ever get out of this lock in nonsense and start building front end stuff with just libraries?

Frameworks are concidered evil. Its a bad practise long term. Short term its fine.

LMAO
Don't worry, when other people do worse on her "test" and she sees that you were probably the best possible pick you can charge her "the fuck you rate" because now you are busy with other stuff that does pay your full rate.
People like that are huge red flags, I've had people randomly come back to my house without any notice because I at one time fixed their pc.
I promptly told them to fuck off since I was busy.
Not worth effort unless you're getting paid well (which I wasn't).

>>tfw react/angular webnigger in eastern europe for €20k/year
Why not move to a place where you get paid almost triple that for webdev ?
Move to holland, there are webdev jobs everywhere here paying 60-70K

Oke vertel mij waar. Want ik programmeer zelf geavanceerde energie power management systemen voor volledig elektrische schepen op batterijen enzovoort. En geloof me front end is echt een eitje !!!! Dus jij zegt tegen mij dat die makkelijke shit veel beter betaald dan heel lastige backend systemen waar zaken zeer tijdkritisch zijn zoals hard realtime systeem taal programmeren?

>Move to holland,
not him, but this . It's not fucking USA, people in Holland speak dutch, so moving there makes not much sense if you don't know the language.

>people in Holland speak dutch, so moving there makes not much sense if you don't know the language.

Actually most businesses don't mind if you don't know dutch as long as you know English decently.

>Oke vertel mij waar. Want ik programmeer zelf geavanceerde energie power management systemen voor volledig elektrische schepen op batterijen enzovoort. En geloof me front end is echt een eitje !!!! Dus jij zegt tegen mij dat die makkelijke shit veel beter betaald dan heel lastige backend systemen waar zaken zeer tijdkritisch zijn zoals hard realtime systeem taal programmeren?

Er is niet gek veel verschil eerlijk gezegt.
Zelfs voor een Junior positie heb je al tussen de 3 en 4K per maand (HTML/CSS/JS/PHP + frameworks). Een fatsoenlijke senior positie kan al makkelijk 50% daarbovenop krijgen (ze kijken dan meestal gewoon naar ervaring en wat je al hebt gemaakt).

Yeah but you say 60 to 70k which is not true.

For my job i need to know physics, need to know the hardware really well. Need to take in account that memory leaks and other stuff are dangerous. Also hard realtime can be a bitch.
Need to know about system failure. Redundancy and much more.

I earn 34k in "holland". The netherlands.

And you tell that you can earn 60 to 70k with Javascript which is a dangerous language. Not typesafe uses a garbage collector and you live in a world with no responsibility that people can die.. because its just front end.

Learn some easy peasy frameworks which are perfectly documented. No need to know any math or physics.

Etc.. and earn twice as much as me? Sure.
I do front end as a hobby also backend dev. That shit is so easy. Everything is worked out for you already. Its more like configuring shit pages.

Als dat zo is. Doe ik iets fout blijkbaar.

>Als dat zo is. Doe ik iets fout blijkbaar.
Altijd kijken naar een betere baan makker, dat is the enige manier om vooruit te komen tegenwoordig.
Betaalt een andere baan beter of heeft betere extras (zoals een wagen van de zaak bijvoorbeeld), dan gewoon solliciteren.
Als je het niet krijgt blijf je bij je oude baan en blijft alles hetzelfde, en zo ja dan heb je een betere baan alvast klaarstaan en kan je de 2 weken opzeg termijn voor je oude baan alvast versturen naar de baas.

top gold

Klopt. Groeien binnen een bedrijf kan alleen in Amerika. Hier heb je een verrekte kut cultuur van managers die boven technisch personeel staan. Soms sta ik verstelt hoe dom die managers zijn en toch een veel hoger salaris krijgen.
Nederlande werk cultuur is echt demotiverend op dat vlak.
Ben het met je eens.. banen switchen is de enige manier om hogerop te komen tegenwoordig. Gezond doorgroeien bestaat niet meer.

I wens je al het geluk om de baan te zoeken die echt bij je past (met een goed salaris natuurlijk).
Ben zelf pas weer terug in webdev gegaan (na een kleine opfriscursus van HTML5/CSS3) nu weer verder met Javascript te leren (na een paar jaar het niet te gebruiken vergeet je nogal wat).
Ik ga denk ik focussen om kleine apps te maken voor bedrijven daarmee (iedereen wilt een app tegenwoordig voor zijn bedrijfje), kan zo makkelijk met electron een leuk portfolio maken met kleine webapps dat zowel gewoon op desktops en op telefoons werken.
Heb zelf 4 jaar gezeten in een baan dat ik helemaal niet leuk vond (niet in the IT branche waar ik wel voor heb gestudeerd en niets van doorgroei mogelijkheden) en ben blij dat ik me nu op iets kan richten dat ik veel leuker vind.
Webdev was zelf niet mijn eerste keus (ben meer een netwerk/server persoon maar daar is hier vrij weinig vraag naar) maar kan kan met wat front end kennis wel doorgroeien naar full stack en die zijn altijd veel in vraag gezien ze praktisch alles kunnen wat ze vragen voor webdev gerelateerde dingen.

What's better?
POST to "/api/sign_in"
{
"email": "[email protected]",
"password": "password"
}

POST to "/api/sign_in"
{
"user" : {
"email": "[email protected]",
"password": "password"
}
}

With the first one it's a little messy and could be inconsistent if you send 2 things, say you send a user and a list of things, you'd then have some controllers getting the user directly but some getting the user object, but the second one always gets the user as a specific object coming in.

>For my job i need to know physics, need to know the hardware really well. Need to take in account that memory leaks and other stuff are dangerous. Also hard realtime can be a bitch.
Need to know about system failure. Redundancy and much more.

you should have learned how to negotiate your salary

when you're a freelancer, how do you actually deliver the site to the client?

depends on what you agree. if they want you to have control of the domain plus hosting then just deploy it live and give them admin access. otherwise if they are competent enough, you can just give them project as a whole and let them deal with it

i dont feel like posting it here

I'm going to write a tutorial on how to create your own Chan clone in React, NodeJS and Postgres. I'm pretty bored and depressed and need something to focus my attention on.

The first one - the "user" in the second is implied when someone tries to sign in. It's redundant.

have you made your chan clone yet

No, but that's the easy part in the whole process. It would only take a day or two to write a minimal clone. The majority of the time would be spent trying to explain it.

Depending on how bulletproof/feature-complete you're trying to make it, it could take a while. I've spent almost a year working on mine.

Half the posts on here make me mad.
Why were you even asking, if that's your opinion?
>X locks me in
Yeah every library 'locks you in' then.
JS frameworks for decoupled frontends are specifically so you aren't locked to your monolithic backend server, but can write your frontend separately as its own entity.
That's like me using chart.js and then complaining, that it 'locks me in', when I want to add labels on certain data points, because I have to use its build-in rendering hooks or something like that.
You go and find your separate libraries. Build something with Hyperapp, your-self-rolled router, Redux and whatever else.
Hell, Vue and React don't even have the router and state-management built in, but import them as separate modules anyway.
>Frameworks are concidered evil. Its a bad practise long term. Short term its fine.
Utterly irrelevant and uninformed opinion.
We aren't talking about Wordpress or Sails here.
Just about a simple library (call it framework if you want) for components and declarative rendering. Nothing more.

If I were to have a client and ended up hosting their website for them, I would always be worried, that they end up making some changes in the CMS or leak the login to a 3rd party and mess things, which somehow would make me partially liable for some kind of illegal content or spam, because the sites account was under my name.

Attached: 1499510282988.jpg (454x417, 15K)