Effortless redundancy

>Drobo
>put in arbitrary sized hard drives (mix of 4TB, 3TB, 750GB, 5TB, 2TB, etc.)
>Drobo will automatically reserve duplication space on the drives so that one disk can fail and data will still be recoverable
>replace one of the drives with larger drive
>Drobo replicates the previous drive's data from the duplicates stores on other drives then re-balances duplication space to make most of the larger drive available
>this is done without downtime, can be suspended when there is high transfer load and resumed when idle
>higher-end version with 12+ drive bays can sustain 2+ disk failures depending on the setting

Is there any computer software (that doesn't require special hardware - i.e. NetApp, EMC) that can do this (open-source or proprietary)? I think I read ZFS storage pool can do some of this, but it doesn't make explicit guarantee about data being fully recoverable after disk failure and can't resize as flexibly as Drobo (if you add new hard drives in the wrong order, you can end up with huge amount of unusable space).

Attached: 51ZAAdn4qbL._SX425_.jpg (425x319, 10K)

freenas does most, if not all of that.

Wouldn't FreeNAS use ZFS + some glue software to do that? My file server is a literally 12 year old Core 2 Duo machine without ECC and only 4 GB of RAM and can't really handle ZFS.

you don't just store all your files on the cloud? how expensive is that thing? services like DropBox™ and Google Drive™ solved this problem years ago. get with the times

Dropbox randomly loses files. Look it up. It's a real problem.

>literal drobo shill in this very thread

I don't want to pay $500 for a fucking Drobo. Tell me a reasonable alternative.

Google Drive™ it just works you massive faggot. Get on the cloud ffs local storage is dinosaur tier, nobody uses it anymore. Pic related is the preferred machine you should use for all your computing needs (which means for 99.99% of normal people: accessing facebook, watching netflix, and checking twitter). This is basic stuff

Attached: acer-chromebook-13.jpg (1500x1225, 182K)

Sorry, I don't feel like talking to an obese teenager who obviously has low IQ and think this is trolling.

Google drive doesn't like my movies, TV shows and anime.
What am I going to use it for? Storing fucking text documents?

get an extra 4 gigs and you'll be fine. Just backup regularly, have hot spares and don't expect any miracle performance numbers,
Poverty data storage has it's sacrifices, freenas is the best way to go.

I see the alphabet agencies are out in force today.

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if it is just running FreeNAS.

Helios4 may fit your bill.

The Chromebook™ I posted has a USB (universal serial bus 3.0) inupt/output slot. if you have some media stored on your legacy usb drive you can access it by "plugging in" (physically) the drive into your computer via the slot (it is in blue on the left side of the Chromebook™)

In real life tons of companies use both. I don't see why you wouldn't at home, too. Most people can't host their own online backups.

DIY build a NAS based on J1900-5005.

It'll be $150-300 apart from the drives, and the upper end of that is faster.

That machine can do linux snapraid or other things no problem. Just consider building something newer for power draw reasons.

Yea, snapraid and other solutions do that. Mdadm RAID also to an extent, you can grow the array.

Just give me it at less than $20/disk.
I don't care if that means paying $1000 for a 50 disk array, I'm just fed up of this four drive bullshit.
Make it so fucking big that I never have to worry about volumes again and I'll be happy.

THEN I'M NOT STORING SHIT ON THE FUCKING CLOUD THEN, AM I?

This. I don't fucking understand how couple more sata slots and little more sheet metal doubles or triples the price. It's not like storing indian stop motion animations requires any performance.

Google drive is lmao tier in my country.
>want more than 2TB of storage, goy?
>here, take this $1500/year 10TB plan

Attached: file.png (1385x1449, 98K)

How does Jow Forums feel about unRAID, which appears to be Linux with proprietary glue to facilitate, among other things, easy data striping across different sized drives.

Probably just use SnapRAID on Linux instead.