Your C compiler has to be compiled by the first C compiler

>your C compiler has to be compiled by the first C compiler
>if it was ever compiled it had to be compiled by an existing previous compiler.
>they can't all be compiled
>therefore the first one wasn't compiled
>therefore open source will never exist

Attached: file.png (584x784, 36K)

Other urls found in this thread:

fsf.org/blogs/community/dating-is-a-free-software-issue
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bootstrapping_(compilers)
archive.ece.cmu.edu/~ganger/712.fall02/papers/p761-thompson.pdf
minnie.tuhs.org/cgi-bin/utree.pl?file=V2
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-hosting
ethoberon.ethz.ch/WirthPubl/CBEAll.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

The original c compiler was written in assembly

which isn't open source

>not learning to code in assembly
what's wrong with kids these days?

what was the assembler written in?

Attached: real_programmers.png (740x406, 83K)

Machine code is always open source because the binary IS the source.

so then everything is open source

The absolute state of Jow Forums. In case you were confused as to what I was implying, it's that you're fucking retarded.

If you're smart enough, yes.

jesus christ are you really so dumb, I see this thread and slight variations of it almost daily on Jow Forums ? are you people really so dumb that you can comprehend how c compiler was created? or is this supposed to some kind poor attempt at trolling?

so then all software is free software. the FSF doesn't need to exist.

Attached: file.png (649x316, 55K)

microsoft words

i know someone irl that is like this

thompson's very first C compiler is open source

gjrls are bloat

Assembly can be open source.
It has labels, comments, basic structures, databases.
The "original source" is always much more readable than an disassembled mess.

open source != free

In fact, this shows that open source is not about the code but about how to understand it.

Thus you can spot the fake open source (generally corporate) projects where they give you the code somewhere in a tarball, but all the tests, documentation, build scripts, etc. are proprietary. This is open source legally but not in spirit. Most "open core" projects are like that.

yeah but non-free open source software can only exist if there's open source code being legally turned into proprietary code, but that can't exist if no codes are proprietary.

>that can't exist if no codes are proprietary.
where are you getting this from?
being able to understand binary, or at least reverse engineer binary into equivalent source, does not make the code non-proprietary
proprietary refers to legal protections, not capability

but being proprietary is the logical negation of being non-free

brainlet the thread

this is why you become the free software gf

This is a fallacy. Free software is still free software, even if it is produced using proprietary software.

is the internet open source?

The protocols are, and a good number of implementations of the protocols are also open.
The webpages that actually run on the internet? Most aren't.

manual opcode

Wew lad

Attached: 1549945154923.png (1190x906, 178K)

No it's not. "Source" refers to the code that the devs wrote the software in. It does not refer to compiled, assembeled, or linked binaries unless the software began as any of those.

The original C compiler was written in B

If that's true...then B was written in A...BUT WHAT CAME BEFORE A?!?!

Attached: Gtmfw+theyll+never+take+muh+freedoms+_8e001deaa6f8ea2d95076b9f8ea7ad6a.png (263x200, 75K)

manually flipping relays

oh and punch cards

I unironically feel respect this guy. wtf is wrong with me?

Attached: black man, dubious, doubtful, unsure, suspicious.png (490x394, 109K)

Give uo

Half of Jow Forums is like this. So is the FSF.

fsf.org/blogs/community/dating-is-a-free-software-issue

If the devs wrote the assembly then that's the source

I worked at Google during the China incident, where they had Ken Thompson re-bootstrap the entire build infrastructure from a C compiler he wrote in assembly. I saved a copy of that compiler and used it to re-bootstrap all of my personal infrastructure.

assembler is not binary

You don't need c, ask, or any language. You can bootstrap a minimal compiler in binary if you know how the execution is going to be handled. How do you think they made the first compilers, with non-existent compilers?

>How do you think they made the first compilers, with non-existent compilers?
Jesus did it.

I can't argue against that, ok.

google bootstrapping

C.hrist

That filename

but those are interchangeable.

>void print
>return 0

not on x86-64

>has to be compiled by the first C compiler

No.
You can always pen and paper compile anything, you lazy fuck

If a C compiler has a new feature, how can the previous C compiler compile it if the old one doesn't have said feature?

And what of its assembler?

You shouldn't need new syntax features to compile the same features. But even if you wanted to take advantage of them you just compile the compiler twice, once with existing and again with the one you just compiled that has the ability to produce binaries with that syntax.

ifdef feature
else
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bootstrapping_(compilers)

Me IRL. However, I found a blonde, blue-eyed gf. She saw me years ago on a train. We smiled at each other and it went on from there. No technology involved.

>tfw I am now back to W10 though.

At least I use Signal messenger, so there's that.

>there is hope for you

official instruction set reference for starters

Hello Ken
archive.ece.cmu.edu/~ganger/712.fall02/papers/p761-thompson.pdf

>fig 1.
>fig 2.2
>fig 2.1
>fig 2.3
I will never get tired of the Unix boys sense of humor.

Attached: file.png (1135x959, 322K)

people discovering zeno paradoxes itt
> WAKE UP SHEEPLE MOVEMENT IS IMPOSSIBLE

Attached: Zeno_Dichotomy_Paradox-696x331.png (696x331, 69K)

>Suppose Homer wishes to walk to the end of a path. Before he can get there, he must get halfway there. Before he can get halfway there, he must get a quarter of the way there. Before traveling a quarter, he must travel one-eighth; before an eighth, one-sixteenth; and so on.
Is this implying that knowledge of teleportation discovered by Aristotle was not shared with Greeks of that era?

Correct. It was written in PDP-11 ASM.
minnie.tuhs.org/cgi-bin/utree.pl?file=V2
The source is right there, in the 'c' folder.

>Why don't you have a girlfriend user? Are you gay? Just smile at her and go from there

I'll take things that didn't happen for $1000.

Attached: 104.jpg (250x229, 8K)

Nah, I did not say that. You can accept it as the truth, though.

Common misconception. Assembly's a language like anything else. The assembler does some preprocessing before turning it into actual processor instructions. Offset calculations for example.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-hosting

ethoberon.ethz.ch/WirthPubl/CBEAll.pdf

It means aristotle discovered that he needed integrals, the Newton invented later.

>>your C compiler has to be compiled by the first C compiler

which could have been by hand by some cuck making min wage in some basement of a university or govt agency campus. this chicken or the egg shit is stupid as hell.

punch cards.

>>tfw I am now back to W10 though.

then your situation is nothing like the pictured person you retarded faggot. your story literally doesn't advance the conversation at all other than to simply brag that you're not only a nonfree shill but also have a girlfriend.

jesus fucking christ.

this, or that our universe is a bunch of discrete, predefined events being played back like a video at some global rate.

No. Compiled software tends to be much larger and more difficult to understand. Disassembling Word and all of its dependencies then attempting to understand the output would take years.

>>>she saw me years ago on a train. we smiled at each other and it wen't from there
>>just smile at her and go from there
>i did not say that
are you this retarded on purpose, or was it an accident

>this, or that our universe is a bunch of discrete, predefined events being played back like a video at some global rate.
The "Big Bang" was just one of many such big bangs, in a perpetual contraction/expansion movement. The universe keeps resetting itself, and everything we do has already been done in a previous instance of it. We are just replaying our own destinies, and there's nothing you can do to change that. You are doomed to live your life and none other, no matter how terrible it might be.

Hell is real and it is now.

Assembly itself has to be assembled r*tard.
The same question still comes, how was the first assembler coded?

Attached: 1824138872_005.jpg (4203x3995, 1.12M)

I've thought about this and have come to the same conclusion.
Is there a term for this?

Attached: 0L7Cypm.jpg (1280x1920, 401K)

What made the first cnc machine? What made that?...in the end it all begins from direct human labor

That's actually a good question. What did make the first cnc machine?

Superdeterminism

plain english

The very first assemblers were written directly in machine code, by poking bits directly with switches and buttons.