/ag/&/am/: audio general & audiophile memes

what the fuck happened to good speaker companies? edition

Attached: altec_lansing_imw258_blk_mini_h20_2_bluetooth_1353109.jpg (2500x2500, 721K)

Other urls found in this thread:

thomann.de/gb/presonus_eris_e5.htm
thomann.de/gb/krk_rp5_rokit_g3.htm
thomann.de/gb/steinberg_ur22_mk2.htm
thomann.de/gb/behringer_ecm_8000.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

2-channel audio is going through a bit of a crunch.

It's typical for audio companies that have been around for any significant amount of time to go through phases, where they switch between focusing on higher end products, then switch to cheaper mass-fi product lines. In a lot of cases the company is also reacting to market demands.

>only buys walmart tier gear
>wow all audio is trash!

You need to spend more money anons

I don't think that's what he's saying.
Altec used to build stuff like the VOTT and big, high end home speakers.
Their website today only has cheap bt speakers and headphones.

Attached: Back in the day.jpg (695x700, 43K)

this JBL still makes their high-end speakers on top of their bluetooth speakers but Altec only makes bluetooth speakers now

Were their speakers good though?

Attached: IMG_1740.jpg (303x303, 44K)

their vintage ones, yes

>unironically have this
Great as a bitch speaker that you are not afraid to fuck up and just tread like shit.
Perfect for throwing it in the pool so kids can violently throw it around.

Attached: IMG_3668.jpg (3024x3024, 2.12M)

While I often like a charm and look of vintage speakers they often seem to be not that good when you look at their characteristics like frequency response etc.

I want to upgrade my speakers, been using some 40 bucks ones I got over 10 years ago, brand is Hercules.

So far I've been looking at this, which is the maximum I would spend.

thomann.de/gb/presonus_eris_e5.htm
thomann.de/gb/krk_rp5_rokit_g3.htm

And an audio interface. Confused about this, the concepts of DAC, AMP and stuff are new to me.

thomann.de/gb/steinberg_ur22_mk2.htm

Any input? So far I've heard the Presonus and they sound amazing.

Hi,
I'm looking to move from my powered 2.0 setup to a passive 2.1 in which I would sell my 306s and replace them with kef Q100/150s and a sub
Any thoughts?

* I'm mostly concerned about the lack of connectors on lower-end amps/subs; only some of the SMSL/Dayton stuff seems to have the required connectors for a basic 2.1 setup - other than that everything else seems to assume that the buyer has a receiver of some kind

That looks pretty 80s. It's kind of missing some fake lines and fake speakers, though.

I have a passive setup (diy tube amp + small geithains) and Neumann kh805 sub, absolutely no problems. Subwoofer crossover outputs to an amp and thats it.

This. Capitalism promotes raping brands and cashing out once their time is up. The degradation is slow and subtle- by the time you decide to swear off the brand they'll already have paid out their big bonuses.

Okay thank you, it's just very overwhelming coming from what I currently have; much more to consider.

The presonus and steinberg should be a good setup. Focusrite 2i2 for the same price as the ur22 is a popular option and so is the jbl 305p for around the price you're looking at. You'll be satisfied no matter what you choose in that range.

What are you listening to, /ag/?

Attached: IMG_20190217_190721.jpg (2560x1920, 2.17M)

Thanks for the input.
I already listened to the Presonus + Steinberg combo and it sounds amazing.

I considered the JBL but I read that if you're placing them against a wall the E5 are a better option.

Now I'll just have to thing about what headphones do I replace my Sennheiser HD 201 with.

The rear ported against the wall thing is only a problem if you want to smash them right up to the wall. 10-20cm of space is enough. One thing is in a near field small room setup the best thing you can do for audio quality is learn to use a measurement microphone and EQ your low end. I would recommend it if you can take some time tweaking.
thomann.de/gb/behringer_ecm_8000.htm
I have one of these and as long as you aim it 90 degrees away from the speaker it has a nice linear response for room correction.

Thanks for the help. I'm really not savvy in this field but I'll certainly work on changing that.
I was really confused at first just to know what parts I needed since I saw diverse opinions about using a DAC, audio card, just the mobo...

>t. retard

I wouldn't worry too much because most of this prosumer gear is pretty damn good. Decent interface and decent monitors is a great listening experience. Most of the finesse is in speaker and room setup and in EQ and measurement if you're using it. Enjoy your music.