Worse than the notch?

Is a hole punch the future before in-display cameras become feasible, or is the notch a better compromise? The attached image is a mock-up of what the status bar would look like on the Galaxy S10.

Attached: holepunch.jpg (757x421, 42K)

Other urls found in this thread:

dailymotion.com/video/x72ecyt
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

No but still not ideal.
Won't buy any cut out phone.

Both look like fucking shit

I don't want a front facing camera. Why do even the cheapest POS phones need one?

can we just get rid of the front facing camera entirely?

Isn't the clock to the left side now?

No notch, no hole.
I'm not a bezel autist.

This. I don't know of a single person who ever actually complained about having a bezel on their phone where the camera was. This whole stupid state of affairs started as a dick swinging competition by marketing deparments wanting to brag about their "screen to bezel ratio".

Also, if I had to choose one option for the "no bezel" bullshit, I think the chinks have got it right for a change on the few phones they've put out with a pop-up camera that retracts into the body of the phone.
Not that I'd ever buy a chinkphone, but I'm hoping if this bezelless bullshit has to continue, that more trustworthy companies will pick up that idea and run with it.

Am I the only one who just doesn't want a front camera anyway?

Looking fucking stupid, S9 bezel was fine as is.

you don't want it because you're ugly.

Marketing really is the force that fucking ruins technology for everyone. Apple's iShit genuinely has great hardware bits that every OEM should copy (16:10 screen, trackpad, rigid hinges of pre-2017 macbooks, etc) but it's always the worst features that these mouthbreathers go out of their way to ape on their straight-to-landfill shovelware. Muh thinness, muh bezels, muh no ports, muh metal body. Literally picking out the worst bits to copy and getting paid for doing such a bang-up job.

Attached: 1491350781086.jpg (1080x1080, 187K)

Grow up, child

>be user
>meet his friends or cousins
>"user! let's take a picture to remember this day!"
>grow up child

This, solve the front camera issue by removing the front camera. Only woman and queers need that.

Attached: 1505770877356.png (746x378, 127K)

I take pictures with the bigger camera on the back, the front camera is always garbage

Attached: dims.jpg (1418x1064, 323K)

Good point. Front camera is for woman, queers and niggers.

putting a battery circle around it might be cool. still ugly and fucking stupid though
>designer: "it's just not possible to put that big of a screen in a body that small without losing the front facing camera"
>manager: "just put it behind the screen then"
>
>manager: "wow my innovative ideas even floor you guys? guess that's why I get paid the big bucks."
>designer: "but sir a camera can't see through a disp-"
>manager: "then just cut a hole out of it. it's not like anybody will notice the lost screen space, and if they do, they'll much prefer that to no selfie camera."
>literally everybody with a brain: "kill yourslef"

>Apple's iShit genuinely has great hardware bits that every OEM should copy (...) trackpad
No. Whoever came up with the first trackpad should be shot. Without them, we'd still have glorious trackpoints on notebooks that aren't oversized business bricks.

B-but muh selfies #selfie

Too scared to do it since most normalfags use it.

I prefer a mini notch or just a full bezel.

Attached: Redmi-Note-7.jpg (2400x1345, 781K)

Attached: object.png (984x378, 173K)

isnt there a version without cutout coming

at least you don't need a front camera for the last one

>in-display cameras
>cannot tape it over
>ultimate spyware
N-no, please!

this

If this mock-up is indicative of how software will display on such devices in terms of proportions it is just as bad if not worse than a fucking notch.
Get that shit out of here and accept a little bottom and top bezel.

It looks less retarded than I was fearing but still bad. Not as good as a teardrop but better than the Pixel's overkill notch. Since it doesn't support facial recognition while instead going for the in-display fingerprint sensor, couldn't they have just done a version without the front facing camera? Personally I'd sacrifice the few rare situations where I actually use it for a sleek uniform look.

Attached: 1543176274114.gif (652x562, 626K)

Why aren't companies brave enough to remove the selfie cam? They were brave enough to remove 3.5mm, microsd, replaceable battery, etc, but not this?

>pixel 3

Attached: .png (1019x600, 1.05M)

Because Apple has to do it first before anyone outside China will consider doing it. Apple likes Face ID, so they probably won't. Plus retarded instagram normies would lose their fucking minds if they couldn't take selfies.

Women, user.

Even though
>full screen front
>high end camera back with glassback/display panel

Would be objectively better for selfies.

Like my fucking flip phone had, ffs

I'd honestly prefer not having a front-facing camera anymore.
literally who even uses it?

Mini notch still an ugly notch. Actually a symmetrical bezel is far more beautiful.

>that chin compared to the top bezel
Fucking ruined

Attached: 1543094843629.gif (500x382, 125K)

what a fucking joke.
look at the top bezel that's still there, it's about as big as an S9 bezel anyway.
you're not gaining anything, you're trading more mm in the cutout than you are trimming from the top bezel.
and the bottom bezel is BIGGER than the s9.

GS9 would have been the most aesthetic phone if they got rid of the curved sides. Now they finally come back with a flat phone with the S10e and they fuck it up everywhere else.

Attached: .jpg (1600x1200, 370K)

>Remove narcissist camera
>Bezel less front achieved
Why can't Samsung make a sku without a cutout?

The single camera hole punch is tolerable. The double is an abomination, just like the notch.
Go back to bezels or better yet just remove the damn front camera.

So much better to have an entire section of the phone unusable for display, instead of just part of that section.

YOU FUCKING IDIOT.

>How dare you hate what I like!!
>YOU FUCKING IDIOT!!

Oh what a child
Isn't 6"+ enough for your fingers? Tasteless faggot.

This. Android Pie's clock is on the left, the mock up maker is a dumb fuck for Ars Technica.

It's really not that bad. Software handles it well.

Can we please finally get over the smartphone fad and throw this privacy-stealing garbage away for good now?

It boggles my mind that they haven't invented a flip-out camera module yet. You could even design it so that it doubles as the back as well.

Best execution was that of lg v20. A separate screen for permanent notifications and some other tools. But as usual they executed it rather poorly and made it closed source.

Hole: like a dead spot on your display. With that sliver of screen around it, it's teasing there's more that it'll never show you.
Notch: you just accept that it's an irregular shaped edge to the screen.

>Notch: abomination that shouldn't be born.
Fixed

This user gets it
One camera, two displays is the future

I'm almost there
I just need a minimum wage job that doesn't require technology

motorola made a concept
dailymotion.com/video/x72ecyt

The real irony is that the area above and to the right of the hole is unusable. Might as well just make the hole part of the bezel at this point.

Attached: Screenshot_2019-02-17-10-49-17-963.jpg (375x246, 44K)

Why is everyone so obsessed with minimal bezels? How the do you hold your phone, if the edge is touchscreeen?

I don't get the need for a front camera. Back in the days a mirror on the back was good enough way to make a picture of yourself. Considering how more and more phone have a glass back this could be a mordern way of utilizing a mirror

Attached: 1538292916749.png (728x527, 116K)

90% of the time the notch isn't even a big deal because the status bar is black anyways

>I don't want a front facing camera.
how do you sext snapchat with your gf?

Phones already have that glass back BS going on, so why not put a "selfie display" in the back instead of a "selfie camera" in the front?

>I prefer a mini notch or just a full bezel.
At least that one can most likely be hidden with NachoNotch.

Who cares really? Do you want accidental touches instead?

>you just accept that it's an irregular shaped edge to the screen.
Or you hide/disable it.

Samsung already ruined the buds that come with their phones by copying apple, guess they are coming back to finish the job

>It's ok, master.
>Yes, just put more shit in my mouth, master.
>Oh, it feels so good and is not eve a big deal!
Pathetic.

this looks like total shit

Attached: 1464692100585.jpg (157x132, 13K)

My phone doesn't even have a notch, its just not that big of a deal

/thread

That'll probably break off faster than the pop-out designs. But I do like that it could be used as an extra lens for the rear facing camera(s).

I have my s9 plus and i just know despite the s10 looking overall much much worse design wise they are going to gimp the s9 with poor software updates that degrade its quality and push me towards upgrading before the s11 comes out

>My phone doesn't even have a notch
#MeToo
>its just not that big of a deal
Yes, it fucking is. Maybe not the notch itself, but how it is presented by all the manufacturers around the world. Like it's some innovation, revolution or whatever BIG and IMPORTANT.

>#metoo
what?

But you can make it look like pic related on the left, and then its basically like its not there but you gain more screen space by not losing the bar on top for the time/battery life/notifications/etc. Its literally a non-issue, especially compared to all the other retarded shit apple does

Attached: 1_m5yEuiuYKfeFPkxeZXxOnQ.png (800x600, 149K)

>status bar

That's the key here:
As long as it's just the status bar that shares a row with the camera hole/notch it's perfectly fine.

Just keep actual content away from that shit.
Putting a notch over a video is Apple tier retardation.
Putting a status icon in an otherwise useless area is a great idea.

>what?
My Mi Max 2 doesn't have this crap too.

Uh, you gonna defend 18:9 too now? This is ridicolous. Smartphones simply cost more (doesn't matter how many) because of INNOVATIONS like ugly notch and 18:9, and this is totally an issue.

The last picture is the superior one:
Shows the object with an indication of its size.

smartphones cost more because that's the amount that marketing/accounting departments have figured out is the maximum amount of money people are willing to pay for them. The price of a product has nothing to do with the cost of R&D or whatever, its all about what the maximum amount people will pay is. If its estimated that the R&D costs will be too high for the average consumer to want to pay for it, the idea is scrapped before it even gets off the ground. Also, demand for smartphones has never been higher, so prices go up to match that demand.

But there's been lots of real advancements in waterproofing, screen durability, touchscreen accuracy, screen resolution, camera technology, etc over the last 10 years.

normalfags would rather they remove the rear camera. just use a dumbphone for everyday shit and a throwaway smartphone for banking apps and stuff if your bank requires it.

can't they have a one way screen over the camera, like 1 way mirrors work?

Fill the whole corner, limit the area to status icons only. The hole looks ugly, but at least not as ugly as the balding cuckhair.

Attached: 1550367464300.jpg (757x421, 56K)

>you gonna defend 18:9 too now? This is ridicolous.

I will, yes.
More elongated phones fit easier in your pocket without obstructing movement. - I don't give a shit about your TV aspect ratio autism.

Your solution looks uglier.
The hole would look alright with an equally thick green area above and below it.

how would you feel if you had a permanent blind spot in your eyes' vision, retard?

That would be horrible and would likely require your brain to do heavy postprocessing in real time. Whoever would have designed an eye that way is an idiot.

Actually our eyes and brain already done that. Blame the god for this then.

*whoosh*

because they're not designed for you to take pictures with they're surveillance devices.

Attached: hole.jpg (724x407, 33K)

go back

hey retards
its not a bigger screen
its a bezel with notifications

literally nothing wrong with a notch/hole

they literally just improved the s9 a ton with one ui and android 9

>literally nothing wrong with a notch/hole

With iPhones the notch is so massive that there's no space to put the battery percentage. on the top bar.

They are most likely forced by intelligence agencies to include a camera on both sides.

nah... its just not worth the money to make a different selfie-less phone model which not many people will buy.

narcissism is the most spreaded disease in our civilization, triple letters agencies don't have to move a single finger for manufacturers to include this.

>literally nothing wrong with a notch/hole
Covering the screen should be the crime.

....the screen covers the bezel
mental innit

People use them for video chats.