Is there a DE more based and redpilled than Unity?

Is there a DE more based and redpilled than Unity?

Great things about Unity, from the top of my mind:

>window buttons and app settings integrated in the top bar
>a vast amount of free vertical space, thanks to that top bar and the vertical task bar
>global search function pressing the ALT key that lets you search for commands of the application you are using

Attached: screenshot.png (1366x768, 140K)

Other urls found in this thread:

unity8.io/
github.com/numixproject/numix-icon-theme-circle
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It spies on you

Imagine downgrading to Linux and STILL being spied on

I'm still confused why ubuntu went for gnome instead of kde plasma... it makes no sense to me

Because Unity was based on Gnome and GTK, so there is a much smaller transition between GTK apps.

Also the default theme of ubuntu has always been brown, like Gnome.

No it doesn't faggot

((λs.((λf. λg.(λx. (λf. f)) 1((λf. λg.(λx. (λf. f)) 3 s) l m)) l m))) s (((λa.(λb.(λa.a) b)) x) m) ((((( λn. ( λi. ( λg. ( λr. r)))) (n)) (e)) (r)) (d)) h desu

(λ i w o u l d l i t e r a l l y l i. k e t o b e f u c k e d i n t h e a s) s

And also earth is flat right?

My graphic art production and shitposting was greatly added by Unity.

> Start key
> search for meme
> Get thumbnail preview of meme in start menu
> drag and drop meme in file upload or gimp

No other DE has that awesome feature Unity has, also the default shit file manager CAJA/Gnome Files can be replaced by Nemo .

Attached: Vlcsnap-2012-12-01-11h31m26s90.png (640x480, 227K)

Unity is simply superior to any other DE
Once you get used to it all other DEs that waste vertical space
look odd. Especially if you use a laptop there is more horizontal space
and less vertical space and useless menu bar is wasting that space.
It is also very productive less time spent on ricing. Just adjust some
little things and start working.

>Giving a shit about the DE other people use

Attached: feynman.jpg (400x493, 23K)

mate or kde.
same exact interface, but not deprecated

If it's so great, why did Canonical drop it?

gay post

>a vast amount of free vertical space, thanks to that top bar and the vertical task bar
nigger are you serious? you get more space in windows if you just put the taskbar to the side...at least for applications like browsers that don't have a border

>Because Unity was based on Gnome and GTK, so there is a much smaller transition between GTK apps.
this. canonical just modded gnome (shell) and put a label on it. i liked unity, but vanilla gnome is the better choice on the long run.

xfeces
/thread

Idiot... Also taskbar on top makes you develop bad posture, faggots.

Attached: 2019-02-17_10-23-10.png (98x277, 29K)

> you get more space in windows if you just put the taskbar to the side
No, on Windows the window bar doesn't merge with the global menu and the top bar when a window is maximized

>If it's so great, why did Canonical drop it?
because it made no sense to make a gnome-clone when the original is widely adopted. instead of maintaining and developing a own de they now just slap a theme on top of gnome and that's it. also, they were in the middle of the transition to qt (wich would have broke compatibility to most gnome apps or at least would have made a qt/gtk frankenstein desktop) and worked on their own wayland alternative called mir that no one else would have used.

TLDR: money, ressources, less fragmentation.

I can't stand Unity

It's asymetrical, both top to bottom and left to right
While I can stand top to bottom asymetry (because it's natural, eg in humans) I can't stand left to right asymetry
What's worse is that this asymetry is mandatory in Unity so I can't use it

Second, it's complicated and overenginneered
Global menu is a bad idea because it needs hacks upon hacks to work because GNU/Linux applications don't use a global menu so it uses a hacky way to rip the normal menu and create the global menu

Third, what's up with using compiz as a window manager?
That's a bad joke, compiz was a cool project made by very clever people but it was always a toy and a hack
It was never supposed to be used as a window manager because there are many things that doesn't get right
In window managers getting things right is more important that effects and compiz and by association unity Fail bad at that

Fourth, Unity gives a clanky feeling
What's up with the huge ass translucent menu?
Why the icons in the left bar behave like a rolodex?
But worst of all what's up with the global menu?
Sometimes it shows menus, others it does not,
You maximize the window and the close maximize buttons separate from the window, go to the top left and shift menus to the right
I'm sorry, this is just wrong, it breaks the workflow

Fifth, Unity puts a huge burden on the hardware.
I never seen Unity work fast and stable in any computer, It always has some weird bugs.
No other distro used it which wouldn't be a problem if it actually worked.

And finally, privacy issues. Canonical may have "fixed them" but the trust is lost forever.
And I would be willing to put up with opt out tracking if Unity worked, but it doesn't, so I don't care

Unity was a mistake

>Is there a DE more buried and deadpilled than Unity?
ftfy

OP while I agree with you isn't it deprecated? I mean does it even work?

It was a good DE overall. Not as heavy as GNOME which was sluggish as well. It had a few problems though, like that 1 pixel vertical line between the icons on the left side and maximized windows. Side by side windows also showed title bars so that extra space was gone. The only sensible step forward after it was KDE.

I miss it. Wish they would have continued Unity 8.

Now there are some people working on it, but progress is very slow unity8.io/

Attached: img.png (3200x1800, 1.38M)

kde can do everything unity did and better. Make the switch

I'm using KDE on my Desktop now

xfce does everything you want and is not bloated
window buttons and app settings - xfce4-panel (window header)
screen space - grab the panel and move it anywhere
global search is DE/WM independent, just map keybind for a launcher
bonus - mouse is cute, not a foot

i like the cute mouse and a lot of xfce's features but thunar is really gay and the avatar is a evil savage viking that doesn't fit in with a cute mouse.

Attached: HughNeutron.jpg (245x274, 14K)

>OP while I agree with you isn't it deprecated? I mean does it even work?
Ubuntu 16.04 comes with Unity, and it has years of support. So I guess Unity is still supported.

Ubuntu 14.04 was the best OS, all releases after were downhill from there

Icons por favor?

amazon botnet

>global search function pressing the ALT key that lets you search for commands of the application you are using
This is the only thing I miss from Unity

unity8 is literally qt-based, fucking duh

2 taksbars is a waste of space. You only need 1.

Numix Circle: github.com/numixproject/numix-icon-theme-circle

KDE with Latte.

Based, but you need the git version and 3 widgets to have buttons, app name and app menu on the top bar

Literally any DE except for Gnome is more based than Unity.

Xfce

How in the world is KDE not the default DE in linux distros? The last time I used linux, KDE was just so ahead of everything else that comparing would be unfair.

Because most paid devs (and enterprise contracts) rely on GTK and GNOME. Also no accessibility options and no stable API

Because redhat uses gnome, (and we know redhat makes terrible decisions), so every other OS is trying to seem legitimate by aping that shit.

Wut