How private is Jow Forums actually?

Posting this here because I don't think /b/ will give me a better response. If I make a post on here. is there any possible way someone from Jow Forums (or anywhere else on the internet) would be able to find out personal info about me? Would they, with the right resources and enough patience, be able to obtain any info about me whatsoever?

Attached: download.png (750x492, 49K)

Unless you constantly use Jow Forums from public wifi over a proxy on a Tails drive, more likely than not there is data left behind able to track you

Be afraid, Austin.
Be very afraid.

go away retard

yes

Your post is timestamped and there's a catalog number at the end. Seams anonymous to me.

Yes, Google receives all metadata when you fill out a captcha and make a post. Jannies also have access to your data, and so do intelligence agencies.

hello... david.

Dude. Don't trust that you're totally anonymous. Ever.

No

>Jow Forums
>private

Attached: 1500318090329s.jpg (202x250, 7K)

Your IP address is logged each time you visit the site/post. That's how bans are enforced. That's to say nothing of the tracking scripts that are employed here. Don't say anything on the site that you wouldn't want traced back to you.

Ignore the 4channel issue and realize that your ISP very poorly """anonymizes""" your metadata and then sells it to marketing companies.
Look up your ISP and the words "opt out" and read the fine print.
If you're really worried then disable DNS prefetching on every browser.

What does DNS prefetching do

Let's say you turn on wifi and type Jow Forums into the browser.
Prefetching makes a DNS request for Jow Forums, gets that and downloads the page, and then automatically makes DNS requests for every link connected to the page to save a few hundred milliseconds of loading time.
This is at the expense if some privacy because loading this exact page will look different than loading the catalog to your ISP and TLAs/snoopers even though (almost) everything is over HTTPS.
I'm oversimplifying a bit, but I replied instead of telling you to just look it up yourself.

If somebody is looking for posts you make here and they already have some sort of profile on you constructed from other sources then it's not too hard to figure out what posts are likely to belong to you. Obviously there's your IP and stuff like that but your posts can be linked to you simply based on how you phrase your posts. You may consistently use certain language or phrases whose repeated by you acts as an identifier. In addition people on Jow Forums regularly reveal personal information all the time. Sometimes it's overt like posting what OS you use or a pic of your battlestation which may not reveal enough to identify you to someone who isn't looking for you (ie. other anons) but to someone who is it might be a dead giveaway. Other times you might just accidentally let information slip without even realizing you did it. You make a thread asking a question about something and the nature of the thing you are asking about might reveal info on your personal interests or political beliefs or whatever. Obviously there's a lot of data to trawl through on Jow Forums and it would be still be difficult to link posts to people but definitely not impossible and computers obviously simplify that job massively.

The answer is that yes it's possible for someone to obtain what you post here and tie it back to IRL you, but it's such a huge fucking pain in the ass, not to mention a legal quagmire, that it's not going to happen (yet?).

Okay, so basically, someone has to get your post data. Then they have to tie that to your IP address. Doing this involves somehow getting the information either from Jow Forums or your ISP or some MITM attack. But that doesn't provide any personally identifying information and doesn't necessarily tie the posts back to you.

So then you have to collect information where that IP accesses other websites. Jow Forums doesn't have this info, but your ISP does. But your ISP can't access your faceberg account, they only know you visit faceberg and nothing else past that. So now someone's got to connect with your ISP, Jow Forums, and faceberg. Great. Let's suppose they went through all the trouble to get this information out of these groups.

Now what?
What the fuck is someone going to do with that info?

It's not illegal, so... they decide to 'dox' you or something? Well if they do that, now everyone knows faceberg, ISP, Jow Forums, are sharing user data with random whoevers, and that's going to blow up in their faces. If it's law enforcement, you haven't committed a crime, so what the fuck can they do?

The only thing that can really be done is storing the information until laws/society changes such that using that information as a weapon is somehow "legally" possible. Alternatively, it's used extralegally, but that's still difficult and has risks associated with it - and for what? For a bunch of shitposts on an anime forum? Nobody gives enough of a flying fuck.

So much incorrect statements in your post...
I searched "is doxxing illegal" and yes there are federal laws involving disclosure of information with intentions of defamation/outing.

I'm not going to touch the resr because it seems based in naivety.

I think you're an idiot who didn't even understand what I wrote.

>you're an idiot
Not him but what a fantastic retort, you really showed that guy.

Jow Forums is private in the sense of the everyman can't see it's you posting, Hiroshima can however. Do YOU trust (((Hiroshima)))?

pretty sure ive already done enough shitposting to prevent myself from ever becoming a public figure. yes, your IP address is stored, and it does not take a crazy amount of sleuthing to tie that to a physical address, aside from the fact that google and many other companies already can make that link far more simply and in far greater detail.

if you are a nobody, you have pretty much nothing to fear though. everybody tells everybody to go unironically kill themselves on this website all the time, or trying to be 3edgy5me in some other way.

if i was google and i had this info, i wouldnt want to dillute it in some kind of massive doxxing event that would be shrugged off in a few weeks of media circus anyway. id reserve the impact of it for targeted individuals id want to take down.

Private to whom?
3 letter agencies? Not in the last decade.
Advertisement companies who buy user data? Not while mootwo is around.
Random Jow Forums users? Somewhat, but posting patterns and uniquely identifiable information released by you can be crossreferenced with other publically available data. Metadata is stripped on Jow Forums but metadata is not the only identifiers available.

>i posted nudez on /b/ will I get v&?
maybe, if someone notices and knows the person or catches enough clues