CRT Thread

Post ITT if you use a CRT in 2019

You may ask: Why CRT ?
>CRT refresh rate can easily go to 100 Hz or more in most models
>CRT color quality is extremlly good for the price, dark tones are truly BLACK like in an IPS or OLED (except in low end 15" models)
>CRT resolution scaling is way better than in flat displays that have an specific number of "pixels" on screen and skip pixels when you dont use stock resolution

Attached: 20160428_172824.jpg (1536x2048, 1.05M)

cause they already remade 3rd strike and it's good enough on a normal fucking tv

>TV
enjoy your 150ms of displaylag + Xbox Vsync

>if only he knew

I've sold x5 Sony GDM-FW900's and one Sony GDM-G520. CRT's are amazing. I just keep a small 17" around from an old HP Pavilion setup that works well enough for the occasional game of UT or emulation.

Attached: IMG_20181210_011157.jpg (4208x3120, 924K)

that sony looks sick, id get a bigger mousepad tho
i wish 2000's CRTs were easier to find, i only find old AF ones that arent that good..

its because you live in America and the arcade boys have already got them all in EU and rest of world its easy. we was not dumb arcade muts.

Why do all CRT threads have to so prominently feature something as embarrassing and childish as video games?

im from europe
i thought arcades were way bigger in the USA than in europe

linux user?

Yes, I have an Android phone and a Chromebook. But my main OS is Unix.

As far as I'm concerned now that 120hz+ LCD/LED panels are out, CRTs are obsolete.

I loved that mouse.

CRTs are good if you want custom resolutions or custom refresh rate since they're quite adaptable in that regard
plus flat panels will never have less displaylag than CRTs, simply for the way the technology works its just impossible

I hear you, but there would be no discernable difference between a modern gaming panel and a crt, absolutely no way.

You're mistaken friend.

>uses google products
>tells others they're childish and embarrassing

What's wrong with Linux?

That's all they're good for nowadays.

is this still really a problem? figured they would of fixed it by now. idk when i wanna remember what it's like to stomp on someone's head with chun repeatedly until they walk away i go to a hipster barcade/Round 1

>dark tones are truly BLACK (except in low end 15" models)
This is a myth perpetuated by zoomers who have never used one. CRTs typically have worse blacks than LCDs. You're right that they can vary quite drastically in black performance though, but it doesn't have anything to do with the size. From best to worst black performance it goes like this:
>PC CRT monitor = Pretty good. Not as good as an LCD but still decent. Although there are a some notable exceptions like the Sony GDM-FW900, which despite being a relatively high end monitor has below average black performance.

>CRT TVs = Okay blacks. Typically not as good as PC monitors.

>PVMs/BVMs/etc = Awful blacks. These were designed to only be used in completely dark rooms. You will need to turn you lights off and but some thick curtains if you want to use these during the day.

>CRTs typically have worse blacks than LCDs
Not sure if blind or just retarded

This. I bet he doesn't even GAME!!!

I use a couple for monitoring my servers/router. They're not even good at that.

This isn't 1993 anymore. LCDs surpassed CRTs in black performance ages ago. Pretty much any LCD from the last 10 years will easily out perform a CRT in terms of black levels.

Attached: IMG_8515.jpg (800x600, 103K)

>CRT have worse blacks than LCDs
no way.
LCDs have a backlight, so they're always gonna be brighter than a CRT, and "black" is just grey-ish.
>inb4 post a pic where the light of the room makes the CRT screen look grey
NEC Multisync
GOD I WISH THAT WAS MINE
were do you live user? ill pay you a hundred bucks for it

>>inb4 post a pic where the light of the room makes the CRT screen look grey
That's because the screen IS grey, genius. Even with the LCD's backlight on, it's still a darker grey than the grey of the CRT screen.

>paying $100 for a CRT monitor in 2019
What has become of the world?

I use a crt tv with my Dendy (Russian famiclone) for the true retro experience, so far it's been good.

Epic gaming!

Now that OLED is out, LCD/LED is obsolete.

So, OLED vs CRT...
CRT still has zero processing time thanks to it being analogue.
OLED is a good display tech apart from burn in and the inherent processing delay from digital signals. Also, its still sample and hold and native only resolutions.

>CRT refresh rate can easily go to 100 Hz or more in most models

No it fucking can't lol.
You were spending hundreds of dollars if it could do anything above 1024x768 at 100hz. Even the niceish ones only did 70ish hz at 1280x1024

>paying a high price for a type of monitor that will never be produced again
whats so wierd about that
its like if you find the vintage car of your dreams in a 2nd hand website

>no it fucking can't
baiting or genuinelly retarded?
why do you act so sure about things you know nothing about?
you could litearlly check the specs of any CRT and you will see their max refresh rate

Attached: 20160428_233027.jpg (2048x1536, 1.11M)

85hz is really all you need for it to be silky smooth. Most of the 1024x768 models I've come across and used can do that fine. 100Hz.. depends on the resolution but it isn't a farcry. Many times the refresh rates are limited by Intel Integrated GPU's which have a max rate limit. dGPU's don't have this limit due to having better RAMDAC.

>third strike
this may be the one and only time OP wasn't a faggot

Wasting that on a low resolution.
Get any old screen for that.
Wanna crank the resolution up to whatever it'll display.

Attached: ibuycrts.jpg (812x495, 55K)

1024x768 was poorfag shit people buying sub $100 dollar monitors.

I've sold FW900's to scientists and computer enthusiasts. For the one's I've calibrated and were in overall great condition, they sold for $1000 and $300 for freight crated shipping. It really depends on the model and the buyer. But truth is most gamers or 4:3 media viewers will be OK with most common models unless its daily usage. Playing around with them and setting refresh rates and resolutions takes a bit of time, but isn't too hard to figure out. I'd suggest anyone reading this board that is interested in getting a CRT to get them while you can because they are no longer produced and are frequently tossed out into trash and recycling. Check out E-waste centers too as they are typically just queued around in piles. Don't just hold out for the best models. FW900 is nice but the aspect ratio isn't ideal. I enjoyed the 4:3 G520 more than the FW900. It has a higher max refresh rate too. Have fun.

>dark tones are truly BLACK like in an IPS
HAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

You need to run it at like 640x480 if you want to get that refresh rate.

Dirt cheap VA master race here pissing on your face right fucking now.

Not as deep as OLED black but they blow my IPS panel out of the water.

IPS has terrible blacks. I hope thats why youre laughing at that comment. If its vice-versa, you're displaying complete ignorance about display tech.

I'd rather not get cancer from having radiation shooting straight into my eyes thanks. Enjoy your 640x480p @ 85HZ in CS 1.6 I suppose.

When you write the whole resolution you don't need the p on the end.

Attached: ihavenoface.jpg (600x800, 73K)

>it's 1965

thanks for the input grandma

>but they blow my IPS panel out of the water
Yeah, maybe when used at night with the curtains draw and the lights turned off.

> 640x480p

Attached: 1534393875235.gif (480x561, 227K)

I didn't write anything you cunt. I typed it.
someone has to keep you cunts in line.

I have a Sony Trinitron Multiscan 520GS, an absolute beauty, but the previous owner was retarded enough to burn the screen, thing i've never managed to do. Except on my lcd because it was active all day and night for a year and mostly with firefox opened, and even that has faded away after i left it unpluged for a moment.

I'm currently looking for a good crt, maybe a 16:9 one, but it's hard to find here in France. And i got a very tight budget which dosen't help anything

That looks like a good monitor already. I'd be happy with it. 24" may be nice, but 16:9 is overrated for CRT's. The only thing really using 1080p is Youtube and TV. Most websites just use that extra space for padding or margins. 4:3 is old, but works great. I actually found it easier to focus with 4:3. I guess widescreen is nice for having two docs open though.

depends on the monitor specs
some max out on 100 Hz, some go as high as 160 Hz, and the extremelly high end ones can reach 200 Hz
i can run 1920x1440 @ 80 Hz on my monitor
you know theres different specs depending on monitor right? it varies way more than with modern screens that are all either 60 Hz screens or high refresh "gaming" screens at 120-144-240 hertz

The only reason why I still have a LCD on my desk at all is because my current desk is a flimsy piece of junk that started buckling when I put my centerpiece tube on it.

Going to be replacing the desk with commercial office surplus in a few weeks once I move out to a new place.

Attached: bst.jpg (4032x3024, 2.03M)

i would get rid of that tiny CRT and get a bigger one
i have a cute 15" CRT too but its just sooo small, i dont see use for it. might use it as a screen for a server or something

>wanting eyerape in 2019
CRTs are the reason my eyes have gone to fucking shit over the years. Thank fucking god for modern monitors.

>No imput lag
>4:3
>nice contrast and colors
Retro games can benefit from all advantages of crt.

Because it's the only thing they are good for.

sup

Attached: 3pm92rV[3].jpg (2048x1536, 609K)

What connector does a high end CRT use? VGA?

BNC or 13W3

computer monitors? VGA since like the 80's, dunno what they had before
some might have VGA and RCA aswell

there is no reason to use CRT for anything else than playing old CRT era games

false dichtotomy, you can use a CRT or an LCD interchangeably
you could also say "theres no reason to use an modern screen for anything else than having widescreen content"

*burns in*
Nothing personnel, kid

Attached: 1550371221174-g.png (925x658, 1.04M)

I'm not expecting any positive answers, but is there any way or place to buy brand new CRTs at this point? I've been looking at used ones but third worlders are fucking animals when it comes to technology and they're all trashed to hell, also importing one from the US would result in a bill for $30 for the monitor and $250 for shipping and taxes so that's not an option.

Attached: 7ae.gif (506x516, 443K)

do modern LED monitors ever experience burn in? I have an old 10+ year old 4:3 ViewSonic LCD monitor that I use on the side for IRC and the burn in on that is crazy. When I display a completely white image on it full-screen. You can see the vertical dark bars and big "smudges" where text has been all through the middle of the screen.

Eventually I know the ViewSonic is going to die and I'll need to replace it with a cheap modern LED, just curious if burn in is bound to happen.

Literally only because there's a computer at work that occasionally needs logging in to locally, there aren't enough LCD monitors to go around, and there were still some CRTs lying around in storage. I don't care what you say about the benefits of CRT, they're minor advantages that don't offset the downsides.

>VGA since like the 80's, dunno what they had before
Prior to VGA, there was EGA which was a similar connector with only 9 pins, and was TTL rather than analogue. Prior to that was CGA, same connector, also TTL. Prior to THAT, Monochrome, same connector, TTL.

Aye! Stealth mac user!

You never know, computers can do interlaced video too.

Only an ignorant reddit retard would think this.

Fucking boomers I swear

>Mouse not lined up with the keyboard

Vomitive.

>IPS
>dark tones are truly BLACK
HAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I was using a CRT TV for a while with CRT_EmuDriver. It was a bit of a weird setup. I liked it but now I have an RX570 and since I would have to be forced to use older drivers (not much older, radeon 18.5.1) and an active HDMI to VGA adapter (which is a lottery because I don't know which ones will work) or buy a haswell motherboard in 2019 that has two PCI-E x16 slots, I think I'll pass trying to set that up again.