Why

>2019
>hdds are sometimes unironically used as boot drives
3d xpoint and nvme is thousands of times faster in 4K and people STILL unironically use hdds as boot drives
and you can buy 120gb ssds for like 20$/€ now which is fucking nothing and im saying that as an europoor

Attached: Intel-Optane-800P-Cover.jpg (800x532, 129K)

Who cares about boot speed lmao I just start my pc in the morning while I go brush my teeth and leave it on for the rest of the day.

*dies after a few years*
heh kid

Boot PC at morning and load the whole OS to RAM. Now why would I need to have expensive boot drive when it gives zero advantage?

>people STILL unironically use hdds as boot drives
Your actual job is to constantly reboot your machine? I'm just curious, how does it pay?

OP literally BTFO with facts and logic

Poorfags can't afford a SSD

Yes, we can, thankfully to AliExpress. Bought 512 MB for $50 month ago.
It's a good deal since this SSD is 4x faster for 2x the price only in comparison to my slowass 1TB Toshiba.

>thinking only benefit of SSDs are boot times
program launch times, overall responsiveness, copying files, no noise, doesnt care about magnets
tl;dr more responive and also some other stuff idk
as i said above it isnt just boot times
the time it takes for it to load to RAM as the OS is located on the HDD, that would only make sense if the RAM was the bottleneck which it def isnt
i meant boot drives which are easily replaceable, hdds are perfectly fine in just storing images and games (as long as u dont mind it taking more time 2 start), etc.

>512MB for 50$
You mean 512GB

>>He thinks the whole OS is loaded into RAM at boot

Attached: 1459469057_lolno.jpg (550x339, 38K)

Oh, fuck. Of course, I do.

Literally have seen a video where if you can get past the RAM limits they give you when installing, you can boot Windows 10 off 96MB RAM

>he doesn't know

SSD are dirt cheap these days. Question is, why dumb schoolboys like OP are using them to speed up the boot process, not the actual data they're working with? I've seen this a thousand times, people tend to install the OS on the SSD and leave the actual data on the rotary disks. Isn't behaviour like this just retarded?

>you can boot Windows 10 off 96MB RAM

Sure, but that means everything is paged from the hard drive at runtime, which would be a slow mess even with an SSD.

People who put apps and other shit on HDD and keeping only Windows on the SSD are literally fucking retarded, I don't mind having a HDD alongside your SSD boot drive as long as it doesn't mean you're stupid enough to move everything fucking else to the HDD, it literally does not matter if you have a SSD if you keep apps/programs on your HDD for example

Why would I waste SATA ports on overpriced storage when HDD's are much cheaper, work for longer and allow me to store more data. I barely even turn off my PC why should I care if I shave 20 seconds off of my boot time. Fucking youtubers got to you all didn't they?

read the rest of the thread first
and also realize you're retarded because it isnt 20s

anyway what i mean for you autists is that SSDs make a huge difference if you keep your OS, programs/apps and sometimes games on it, but anything that won't benefit from speed should fuck off right to a HDD

SSDs improve overall performance and responsiveness of a computer by an overwhelming factor.

The NVMe drive I'm using for a boot drive can read at over 2 GB/s, applications load in fractions of a second, I'm never sitting and waiting for something to happen.

I use conventional hard drives for storage only, nothing that actually "runs" on the computer is stored there, it's just archival. Every application I use is on an SSD, every game is on an SSD.

using SSD as system disk blocks ReadyBoost tech

Attached: HINDY_WIFU.jpg (1080x720, 209K)

You think that's bad? Consoles still ship with 5400rpm

Attached: 1500082261563.png (657x527, 51K)

>ReadyPoost

HELLO YES NOW MAKE THE 256MB USB1.1 STICK WITH THE POWERBOOST

>blocks ReadyBoost tech

Because ReadyBoost is useless with an SSD.
It was designed to be used with things like USB flash drives, which are still faster than your hard drive in some cases, are always slower than an SSD.

It's basically a poor man's Optane.

Because you don't need SSD speed for playing 4K movie or opening a single 20MB PNG file.
So basically you want faster startup time for Photoshop, not the PNG file.

>Because you don't need SSD speed for playing 4K movie

You do if the movie bitrate is higher than the speed of the hard drive.
A lot of 4K videos this can definitely be the case.

>it literally does not matter if you have a SSD if you keep apps/programs on your HDD for example
Modern filesystems like ZFS provide a quite convenient solution to all that HDD/SSD problems. You simply keep all your data on the HDD (possibly mirrored) and use SSD (or the stripe of multiple ones) as a L2 cache. And you gain a noticeable speedup for the actual working data without being distracted to micromanage all that manually. Works like a charm for me.

you don't stream a movie off the hard drive you fucking idiot

This is essentially what Optane and Fusion Drive does, but on a block level instead of a filesystem level.

In the second case you actually do. Especially when there are hundreds of these PNG files and you're doing some batch processing on them.

You do if you have the file on your computer.

lol no

Just because you can't, doesn't mean other people don't.

you're a fucking moron lmao

>A lot of 4K videos this can definitely be the case.
100 MB/s (~800000 kilobit per second) video is still very uncommon for an average user, and modern HDDs could provide 150MB/s or higher.

Don't be embarrassed being a HDpleb.

Attached: Untitled.jpg (1358x1406, 369K)

>batch processing
bottlenecked by your CPU first

Sequential speeds don't matter megafag

ZFS also operates on a block level when it comes to things like caches, but its ability to be aware of the top levels gives it a much more flexibility.

This is what I get on my RAID1 storage array using WD Greens.

Attached: Capture.jpg (732x756, 94K)

too slow

Just defrag your HDD, dude.

No shit, that's why I keep everything important on SSDs.

The only reason to even consider SSD is because windows 10 is a bloated piece of shit that runs like garbage on an HDD. Even then call me when SSDs match HDDS in price/size.

Every OS is fag
Ubuntu was even slower than Windows 10 for me with an HDD

It can be you ignorant fuck.

>Optane
FUCKTANE

Windows xp and 7 worked fine.

you can reinstall linux without even having to reboot. you load everything to ram.
>boot drives
I am booting my pc nearly once a week, or once every other week, when therer's a new kernel or module that I have to reboot my pc in order to use it.
I clearly could save half a minute every month by purchasing an ssd.