/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Previous thread
>Read
>GNU/Linux questions?
>PC building?
>Programming questions?
>Good, cheap, laptops?
>Cheap electronics?
>How to activate any version of windows?
>Where can I get Win 7 or LTSB?
pastebin.com/smjvLZN4
pastebin.com/quC0gz4j
pastebin.com/gHCCFBkt
pastebin.com/4LvsAFk7

Attached: verygay.gif (346x339, 123K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/rg3/youtube-dl/issues/12048#issuecomment-279638457
howtogeek.com/232659/how-to-change-the-display-language-in-windows-10/
urlencoder.org/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Percent-encoding
sitereview.bluecoat.com/#/
google.com
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_error#Standard_error_of_the_mean
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Blackout on my house yesterday
>Boot up PC
>Doesn't recognize Hard Disk
>Check SATA cables, they work fine
>Hold HDD in hand, can feel it spinning
It's the logic board, isn't it?
Can I swap that shit or is my disk 100% kill?

How do I acquire an autistic gf who dresses in a gothic fashion and likes anime and computers?

>69835484
Can any youtube-dl expert give me any advice on this please?

Crossdress an user.

Try to go to a place where fat chicks hang out

not with youtube-dl alone, the format is fixed as of now.
see github.com/rg3/youtube-dl/issues/12048#issuecomment-279638457

How dangerous are windows viruses when having wine installed?
A virus might find z:/ and delete all files, which is basically my home directory. It also could access /mnt/ and /media/ where hdds and usbs are.
What option is there to secure me a bit. On windows every antivir intercepts all filehandlings before opening/running a file. Is there an equivalent on linux (debian) ?

If your disc doesn't make crazy scratching noises then it should be ok and the controller may be broken.

I accidentally dd on 1TB
this bad? can fix?

Attached: fug.png (1022x138, 21K)

It doesn't make any noise but the BIOS doesn't recognize it, it also takes way longer to get past the "detecting IDE drives" message on boot up.
Can the controller be fixed?

:D

Depends on the drive. Normally yes, you can switch that controller out with another one.

Has to be the same model or just the same brand?
Shit, if I have to get a new HDD to fix the old one might as well use the new one. There wasn't anything important in it anyway.

Same brand. The model doesn't matter as far as I know but you better make sure yourself. I had no problem switching the controller on an Intenso 250gb with a controller from an Intenso 500gb.

I fucked up. I accidentally turned my entire computer settings in Japanese and disabled my headphones. How can I turn off this Japanese shit so I can fix this problem?

Attached: 78548558.png (208x196, 96K)

I'm dealing with some urls on a certain website and its encoding common ASCII character like : or / with three digit hex codes like %2fA
What encoding style is this?

Follow the images for windows: howtogeek.com/232659/how-to-change-the-display-language-in-windows-10/
Or tell your OS.

I want to stream an .mkv file with soft subs on rabbit with a friend, but rabbit only lets you share browser tabs. Is there any way to watch an .mkv video with soft subs in a browser tab? Usually I upload to google drive and watch that way, but I don't think it has support for soft subs.

Alternatively, is there an easy way to turn soft subs to hard subs?

For example htmlentities
See urlencoder.org/

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Percent-encoding

My phone, on any browser, refuses to load any github web sites. Any ideas how to make the phone see them?

Thanks I fixed it.

No it's not normal HTML encoding
A single colon I believe was %3af
So http:// became http%3af%2fa%2fa or something similar. It used 3 hex character not 2 and I'm trying to find out what encoding style this is

Seriously though. Is there a easy way to recover data after using dd to burn a image? It only used 250MiB of a 1TB drive.

Well this user shows that : is %3A
but I can't really explain why or how : exists as %3af Seems like some fake encoding because they all have the letter "a" at the end where normally this would not be.

Im trying to download a file from an IRC network, but it failed after reaching 100% and now is corrupted. Halfway through the download it failed as well, which is where I assume this issue is coming from. I downloaded a file from the same network two days ago and had no issues, so why is this happening now? Would the issue be on my end or the bot?

I want to use a service like no-ip so I can access my NAS from elsewhere.

Assuming I sign up and use hostname.ddns.net to point to my NAS, what are the implications regarding my privacy?

I may have gotten the characters wrong I'm not in front of it, but it def used 3 hex characters for each special character, not the usual 2.
I guess I'll just look thru it's js and see what's happening under the hood

Use port forwarding on your router and make sure it's password protected
Only expose a single port.
Try to use something like nfs or http as the protocol. Don't use SMB

Also,use a no standard port on the public side like port 60000 and forward that to the standard port on the private side

check, check and check I think? It's basically a brand-new Synology, so I've secured access behind a strong password; plus it integrates with a few hostname providers.

My point was, can the DNS service see what I'm doing using fartshitcpdownload.hostname.fuck to point to my home IP, but thanks for the tips.

Or even for ultimate privacy just configure an openvpn server

All a dns will is translate a hostname to an IP nothing more.
So just dont use a domain name like lol playground.cp.notillegal

Cool. Also, lol.

I'll look into the OpenVPN business once I've got everything straight anyway, I'm still playing with Docker rn

I've set up openvpn before and it's really convenient. You expose the port publicly and the only person that can connect is you with your keys.
Plus side is you get connected directly to the network so if you decide you need to go into Nas configuration you can access it without having to expose that service as well

Pls

How much is 2100mA (the maximum total capacity when using both ports)? Is it enough to fast charge two phones simultaneously at full speed? Pic related, I'm interested in getting one of these bad boys to convert a wall socket to 2xUSB.

Attached: 2147763B.jpg (720x720, 26K)

why should i use linux instead of windows

>How much is 2100mA
Roughly 2.1 amps.

A little over 2 amps
your looking at roughly 10.5 Watts assuming 5 volts

qubesOS

Im back home.
This is the website that does it:
sitereview.bluecoat.com/#/
For example
google.com
Becomes
http%253A%252F%252Fwww.google.com

Now that I'm looking at it the standard url encoding is turned into 4 hex digits instead of 2, all starting with 0x25... Any idea what encoding this is?

Attached: 1549946325928.jpg (838x627, 87K)

It's double encoded, %253A is the percent character followed by 3A
%253A -> %3A -> :

Ok makes sense... But why would one do this? Is there any practical reason?
Seems completely unnecessary
do you think it's just because they're back and coders are too lazy to parse out a second http:// when they see it, so they double encode it?

So...is that a yes, or...?

Attached: serveimage(2).jpg (1920x878, 162K)

10.5 Watts is equivalent to 0.01408073 horsepower
Do you need more horsepower out of your USB charger?

The parameter is in the hash part of the url, so it is not sent to the server.
The server side itself probably requires an encoded URL. Their front end encodes it and to make it linkable it gets encoded again and put into the URL.

The linkable component probably doesn't even know it's an URL so it always encodes whatever it gets.

Mækēß ßëñßē
Thåñkß

You should get about 36 British thermal units from that bad boy

#
My charger supplies about 27880 foot-pounds of energy if that helps at all

>Be brainlet me
>Turn to /sqt/ for a simple yes or no answer regarding electricity and shit
>Get ridiculed, no serious replies
>mfw

Attached: serveimage.gif (404x352, 850K)

does an SSD really make a difference in everyday use and gaming compared to HDD?

Yes, by a lot.
Especially load times on heavy games.

Yes.
Especially if you have a low quality hd
Post what model of hard drive you're using

Most phones use two amps to charge. Most likely the charger has two 2.00 amp ports.
Get an image of the back and look at the output of it. That's the only way you'll really tell if they split the two amps or if each Port gets to amps

Probably not. The charger for my Pixel 3 provides 3A 5V, and that's just for one single phone. When using both ports on that, each phone would pull at most 1.05A 5V (assuming equal load), which is more or less the same as a regular slow charger.

Might be better to get a regular wall outlet splitter/strip (don't know what you call those in english), and two dedicated chargers. Avoid cheap chink adapters tho, I've seen a few scorched ones in my time in customer support.

Okay, is there ANY possible way, by any means necessary, that I could gain access to a privated twitter account that hasn't been active in months?

Attached: 1498775887728.jpg (480x542, 42K)

Yes. Just grab one. They’re stupid cheap now, a Kingston 250gb ssd will set you back like $15-20

need help with my mpv config pretty sure this should work but it doesn't take a screenshot

s screenshot format=png template="%F Screenshot %n"

Is theres a way to use my Sony Trinitron CRT as a third monitor for my pc?

Ok m8 thanks, at least I can download the date info which is really useful. Thought there may be a tweak for the format but I'm happy to be able to get that info in the title in any way.

yeah you will just need an adapter for hdmi/ displayport to whatever the monitor input is

Take a cable and connect it to your PC and monitor. You'll need a graphics card that can handle VGA (or at least DVI-I or DVI-A). Adapters from HDMI or whatever to VGA tend to be fairly hitnmiss, so would avoid those. I think the GTX 980 Ti is the newest and highest performing card that supports VGA, but could also just stick a second basic card in your computer if you don't plan on playing anything new and demanding on your CRT.

Assuming you were talking about a PC monitor.

i'm a complete brainlet when it comes to math and statistics so i was wondering if this en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_error#Standard_error_of_the_mean is how i would tell how many measurements i need to take to get a certain level of precision? i took some measurements of coordinates of a certain point with gps and am now trying to calculate how many measurements were actually necessary for me to take.

Attached: 1486164257212.jpg (1280x720, 83K)

What's a decent video editor, nothing too fancy just slides, audio and transitions.

Thanks, finally a helpful reply! This is what the item description says:
Charging power 5V DC, every outlet supplies the amount of amps the unit requires but a maximum total of 2100mA when charging both ports simultaneously.
Driven by 100-240V AC. 250V, 50/60 Hz. 2,5A.

I assume this means that it only supplies a total of 2.1/2.5mA which kinda sucks if each phone requires approx. 2mA for full charging speed...

There is a 4 port version as well with the same description/specs but it lists the maximum output as 4800mA. Is that even possible with the same "2.5A" or is the description faulty?

No the description sounds like it is purposefully ambiguous as to the distribution of power.
From what you are explaining you should expect it to put out the stated power split up between ports if multiple ones are in use

Learn Japanese.

Hey could you guys help me out? I was out dumpster diving with some friends and I found an old PC with and Ethernet card, HD, CD drive, a P3 CPU, and another card. I have no idea what this other card is or what it does. Could you guys help identify it please? Thanks

Attached: 20190217_122842.jpg (3024x1701, 3.2M)

How many tabs do you have open right now?

I sent a screenshot to a friend of mine and he complained that I have too many tabs open. He didn't even see how many tabs I really have open, just enough that my browser wanted me to scroll left and right to see them all.

Is there a decent e-book free reader that supports PDF on android?
Or at least without ads like Lithium.

The intel chip shows up as timer circuit and looking up Light Machine Corp shows several tooling machines so it was probably a controller for one of those machines.

18 I'm a tab hoarder most of the time I get to the point where only the website logo is visible.

What do you do with laptops that aren’t worth selling on eBay?

I have two 15.6” crappy ones from 2013 ( AMD A6, 6GB RAM, 750GB HD) that aren’t even worth putting in a $20 SSD and Linux. I have them listed locally for cheap but the interest isn’t there. The place I live in is quite low population.
Should I just remove the drives and RAM and sell for $40 “as is” or just donate them?
Any tips?

gut it and sell the parts individually. Sometimes you get more value from the individual parts than from the whole

Which of the 2 is the most "private" method of posting on Jow Forums?

1. Use Jow Forums without a pass:
Pro: Makes it harder for Jow Forums to tie your posts together
Con: You pretty much have to use your real IP, since practically every VPN is blocked.
Con: You have to grab a recaptcha puzzle from google.com.

2. Use Jow Forums with a pass (purchased with anonymous payment method):
Pro: You can use Jow Forums with a VPN, so you never give up your real IP.
Pro: Never connect to Google.
Con: Jow Forums can tie all your posts together.

It seems like the ideal solution would be to use Jow Forums without a pass, AND hide your IP, but is there a way to do this that Jow Forums won't block?

yall ready for a really freaking stupid question?
is there a way to change the different shades of your color theme in windows 10? like I know you can change the color but you don't have the option to change the taskbar/start menu color

You want the start menu and taskbar to match your titlebar colours? scroll further down on the color settings, there you should see some relevant checkboxes. I don't think Windows 10 is flexible enough to let you choose different colours for different things freely, if that's what you wanted. This isn't the 90s anymore. Software is worse now.

I just want to make all of the color accents the same, right now most are the color I picked but then there are a couple like the task bar that are automatically darkened

Best bang-for-buck used macbook?

Yes, I just want to look kool.

Attached: mac-hipster-european-coffee-shop-man.jpg (400x300, 96K)

Is there any drawbacks to using windows 10 with a student license instead of pirating it?

Edu is Enterprise. So you get the features. The license might run out when you quit school tho.

Whenever i connect a second monitor it has a yellow tint that i cant fix (my setup looks like pic rel), ive tried settings, color correction and everything else.I have an old machine with no gpu. Can it be that the cpu graphics cant take the second monitor?
Please help its driving me crazy

Attached: picrel.jpg (1600x900, 79K)

What's a very simple editor that's actually good? Free would be ideal, but I'm willing to pirate.

I have a video I recorded that's encoded so poorly that it's about 1 GB per minute of footage. All I want is to take an excerpt of it, blur a corner of it, and possibly encode it better with minimal quality loss.

>quit school
I'm American so I'll be enrolled for a good 20-30 years :^)

Shalom Jow Forumsoyim,
I think i got slightly chinked after buying a CPU fan (for a thinkpad x61) - there's an awkward noise coming from it, it's in between a chirp and a screetch.
Question is, what could I use to lubricate the fan with - grease and motor oil are what i have right now at home.
Do I just spend shekel on mineral oil or is there a better alternative to use?

How do I make a website like socialneko.org?
It's a race ATM, there's four ppl trying to get there before I do.
One of them mentioned Jow Forums to me, and they can answer literally any question.

I know how to use site builders and put them on a LAN now.

How do I make a webdeveloper do my bidding? I made a lot of donation money from my stoner instagram actually.

Kind of desperate ATM, I don't want the new socialneko to be made before I make it, and my current dude sucks, lmao

Are you sure it's not an issue of the monitor itself?

Do you use an .icc profile on your monitor?
Windows can also set this up on your behalf without you knowing about it.
It then fails to apply it to the appropriate monitor because Windows is shit like that.

Colour profile in Windows, Colour temperature on the monitor. Check both of these.

Please help, my uni uses Canvas as their platform and one course has lots of videos that I would like to speed up, but there doesn't seem to be a way.

There are no buttons to speed up the video and when I right click to download the video, there is no option it just says JW Player.

Is there a way to download or speed up the video in cases like this?

Ive tried 3 different monitors and its the same
Ive tried playing around with those settings but it didnt help
Ive tried those too

I'm fairly certain it's the icc profile and Windows being shitty, I've seen it absolutely refuse to apply the settings I've selected even though they've been set as system defaults.
Make a bootable USB drive with Ubuntu or Mint and try with those and you'll see.

Why are pre-built PCs often cheaper than if I were to buy the parts individually? I don't understand.

Hey Jow Forums, I need some help.

I have to do operations on an array n times, but I need the array to be in it's unmodified state at the beginning of every loop.

I tried creating a read-only copy of it so that the array would 'refresh' from it on every loop, but it doesn't work out that way. I'm using the C#.

Openshot, or for your needs (being as simple as they are), strait FFmpeg with a basic filter.

Ok ill try that man, thanks for the help