Conveniences we've lost

This is a thread for talking about various conveniences we used to have but no longer do.

One of the biggest for me is programs for managing offline browsing of BBSs with things like QWK, or in UseNet something like slrnpull, which allows for you to pull down new posts and push up new posts, with unread ones being highlighted. You could run the script, wait a few moments, then have everything new waiting for you. No browsing around, no bookmarks and tabs, just a lot of time saved. Even RSS feeds are a long way removed from such a convenient and time-saving system.

Another would be downloads. Once they were regular links, meaning you could stick them all in your download manager; now they're JS links that if you do paste the "download link" in to a manager it will just download the file that links to the file you actually wanted.

Attached: mm.png (760x570, 23K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/27lWWNGSj4I?t=45
youtu.be/TafHovJil_0
news.aioe.org/
kolibrios.org
menuetos.net/
tinycorelinux.net/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

rss in firefox.

Wait, they took that out?

Starting version 64.

Wow Firefox has gone downhill. Unfortunately there's no real other place to go other than chromium-based stuff.

CD/DVD in every laptop
USB 2.0 in every laptop
plaintext files being portable
trivial native GUI libraries

>plaintext files being portable
Considering line ending fuckery and locale character sets, this is something that is now much more convenient. Just in time for plaintext documents to be considered archaic and useless...

I think the last place textfiles are made in the wild is GameFAQs.

Contact with online sellers via various instant messengers, now we're back to emails.

Attached: lqb.jpg (600x600, 18K)

you wish
>contact us on Facebook

Try open a LF text document on any Windows before 10. Try opening a non-English text file on an English computer before UTF-8.

>OS that boots in half a second
>OS that doesn't require constant updates
>OS that doesn't interrupt you all the time with messages for retarded shit
>OS that starts programs instantly
>OS that doesn't treat you like an idiot
>OS that doesn't get in the way of what you're trying to do

Attached: RIP_IN_PEACE.png (250x250, 5K)

The conception of the operating system as a device that facilitates uses, rather than a source of usage itself, is such a simplistic (and easy) view of computers. It makes me sad that it's gone now. These days with all the animations and built-in features it seems that the act of using an OS is considered part of "the experience" of using a computer, rather than the facilitator of "the experience."

It's the canvas on which the painting is created.

Of course now in the days of browser-centric usage the OS is almost nothing more than a bootloader for the browser.

>pic related is me by the way

Attached: 297.png.jpg (680x383, 41K)

I was pointing at the part:
>I think the last place textfiles are made in the wild is GameFAQs.
ofc linefeeds and Unicode encodings are broken on Windows, that's why I putted it in the list

I remember using RISC OS on a Pi 1 and it booted about as fast. A shitty SBC using a shitty SD card booted about 10x faster than my i7 using an SSD. It seems that every improvement in hardware is totally undone by shitty software making it no real improvement in relative terms at all.

I have no way of properly measuring it, but I'm sure people used to spend more times doing things than between doing things, or waiting for things to be done.

Like OP's example. It totally erases the time it takes going around checking for updates, which most of the time don't exist.

But what about all the functionality that people want? We didn't get here by accident.

Sure, I could use C instead of Scala, but then I have to roll everything myself and everything requires 100 or 1000x as much code to express.

Legs are great but without cars we wouldn't even have invented computers which allow us to bitch about bloated software on some Phoenician parakeet breeding forum.

Good analogy with mentioning. Car manufactures spend millions and years of research in order to make their engines more efficient and their bodies more aerodynamic.

So, shall we do that with software as well?

Computing power is going up every year, or becoming more efficient for the same amount of electricity spent. Compare that to fossil fuel that will eventually run out and the analogy doesn't really fit anymore. I'd still like to see faster software, though.

Car fuel usage is related to Climate Change: inefficient cars pump more co2 for the same work as efficient ones.

Software doesn't work like that.

Well you wont get it by handwaving bad software away with "Oh, we'll just keep making faster and faster processors."

That immensely more efficient SBCs aren't useful in an office environment is down to software, not hardware.

So the increase in processing requirement and the energy needed to provide it (and cool the hardware) is unrelated to climate change. What's the carbon footprint of YouTube? What's the energy cost of Facebook?

3G is 4x as energy intensive as wifi, and 4G has 10x the requirement. Not sure how much 5G sucks up, but I bet it's more. You need to stop looking at it as if it ends with the device in your hand.

Yeah, but look at it this way: Next to no one is interested, so next to no one is willing to pay for it. There is also no real pressure to optimize, because the masses will eat anything as long as the marketing is good enough, even shit that comes on a silver platter. The few cases where optimization is done is usually closed source with specific intentions that no one but the creator really needs. Maybe it's a conspiracy to but new hardware often.

But this was because access to those services was priced by the minute. We don't have that anymore, we have always on internet, so this is a moot point.
You could still write a Jow Forums client for example that works that way, but why should you?

Maybe we should price our time slightly higher then?

And here I was thinking computers were supposed to make our lives easier and give us more free time.

Meh, ungoogled-chromium and Iridum aren't the worst things in the world. I use newsboar for RSS, but for the most part, suckless surf does all the web rendering I really need.

I hate the internet these days.

Attached: gates.png (612x688, 621K)

Won't happen.
"Good" software today is easily debuggable, reuseable and easily understandable so that the company can replace you when they want and reuse old shit to maximize profits.
If you write fast and non bloaty "hacker" code you are considered an asshole for making work harder for others. Fuck this gay earth.

corner stores

- No dual mode, every line of code has full hw access. Terry Davis would love that.
- No ptable and extended memory, lol. Spend weeks rewriting your autoexec and config or you won’t do jack shit.
- No real networking.
- No multitasking.
- No hw abstraction, irq dma fuckery.
- Comparing simplems dos programs to modern apps.

I conclude you’re a fucking idiot you has no idea what they talk about 99% of the time.

I'm with you, I know it won't happen. Even more than speed I am concerned with privacy, and that is even shittier. Necessity is what makes the best breakthroughs, but only war really brings necessity if we exclude resources ending and apocalypses. I can't imagine anything that would bring about a necessity for faster software and privacy, though. Maybe we need gulags again.

>- No multitasking.
Considering humans can't multitask, and it can take 10 minutes to revert to a state of concentration from being distracted, this isn't a bad thing on a business/production computer.

It appears that you misunderstand the issue.

OP's idea of offline browsing could feed in to privacy. I mean, if you pull down everything from multiple newsgroups, which get their news from countless servers, then there's really no way of knowing what you're reading or viewing. There's also an element of privacy in "where did this come from" when it comes to creating content, not just "who read this" when it comes to viewing it.

Everything you see here, everything in this picture, fits on a 40MB hard drive with room to spare. Don't tell me we aren't being fucked with. A great deal of software written today is trash designed to keep workers at blue chips employed. Planned obsolescence of software. Updates for the sake of updates, with no tangible improvements. Layers upon layers of cosmetic changes that look shinier but yet again add nothing in the way of content except maybe niche uses that 99% of users don't care about. Kindly get off this board and neck yourself.

Attached: lciii.jpg (1024x768, 509K)

This was comfy as fuck

Attached: 16_9_page-100.4.png (644x400, 31K)

>2 years ago
>corp. partner sent me a HUGE google docs spreadsheet
>literally deadlocked firefox for a halt minute while it load, browser used >1GB RAM
>let's try a test
>exported the spreadsheet to plain .xls
>opened windows 2000 vm, started up Excel 97 and opened the spreadsheet
>excel opens in seconds
>less than 100MB RAM used, this includes OS (all defaults), caching and excel

JS is good. Webapps are good. Keep your shit in the cloud. They are all good 4u.

As a percentage through it's better now than it was then. So what if Windows takes up 50GB of hard drive when you have 2TB?

And that's why most of us use Linux or BSD nowadays.
At least "minimal" distros feel like a breath of fresh air after dealing with mainstream "personal computing".

It would likely have taken much longer on a genuine Win2000 machine you'd be using at the time, and used a far larger percentage of the usual RAM.

Inner peace and comfyness.
I remember times when we just sat together on someones balcony or similar and just talked about stupid shit, brotherly and comfyly on a late sunny afternoon. Now everybody acts so busy and important. You rarely get people together anymore when it's not Friday/Saturday and for shitty disco. And when you do everybody just blatantly lies about his life, exaggerates or intentionally makes ambiguities to trick other people into assuming shit that is not true. Everybody has insane fomo while refusing every suggestion which is not a scripted activity.
Things used to be comfy, people where halfway confident and assertive, but now when a girl is in the group the fucking night is done because everybody just tries to be as pretentious as possible and starts sniffing her ass.
When you go online all you see is this fake happiness everywhere and when you aren't that happy in this moment you feel like you're missing out. All this fakebook shit ruined people.
Fuck this shit. When I'd have to describe the last 5 years in 3 words I'd say: hectic and pretentious

This is some systemd tier bullshit

>Conveniences we've lost
Mobile wise?
>swapable batteries and general servicability
>sub-30 second boot times for devices
>run times that go on for more than a day

Desktop?
>meaningful physical media
I still use my blu-ray drive to watch movies, rip the occasional blu-ray disk, or on rare occasions burn a chucker disk I can give to someone. Good luck trying to get your USB drives back ever, if you buy nicer stuff.
>audio devices
The sound card market is virtually dead. External DACs cost an absolute shedload for anything half decent. OSes in the Year of Our Lord Twenty Nineteen still can't get basic audio direction right. Lost count the number of times I have had to set my primary audio device away from video card.
>mobos that last more than one generation of CPUs
Thank you, Intel.
>offline software
Even a sizeable chunk of desktop software doesn't work anymore without being able to phone home to a mothership
>USB trying to be universal
Type A, Type B, Mini, Mini AB, Micro, Half-speed, Full speed, Super speed, Ultra hyper alpha turbo speed
Hell if the standards organization hadn't shit the bed on this one.
>Wi-fi hardware standards being halfway intelligible or meaningful
This one is the fault of the hardware manufacturers trying to strongarm each other by going to market with half-baked shit. Anything past G required homework if you want to get anything close to the theoretical speeds.

Attached: 1414541331811.jpg (566x520, 100K)

>>sub-30 second boot times for devices
Reminds me of a line from "Every OS Sucks",
>My phones doesn't take a week to boot it,
>My TV doesn't crash when I mute it
Ah, simpler times.

50GB of CPU instructions just for an OS. What a waste.

>0.5% of hard drive just for CPU instructions

You need to think of things more performantly.

Who cares if hard drives are larger. That's 50 billion bytes of cpu instructions for a consumer OS so users can go on facebook and buy shit off amazon.

>OSes in the Year of Our Lord Twenty Nineteen still can't get basic audio direction right.
It does annoy me how people fuck with things so much now that even the basics can't be gotten right. It's the same with cars as well it seems, so it just might be universal.
youtu.be/27lWWNGSj4I?t=45

And those "50 billion bytes of cpu instructions" are relatively tiny compared to the resources on older computers. It would likely be 5x that keeping it the same in terms of percentage.

This. The huge xls file and op's MS-DOS would run a lot slower if launched on the actual hardware of their time. Not a really fair comparison.
Nevertheless, most modern software development is a total mess and could advantage a if it took some techniques of efficiency from the past.
Like, c'mon, you don't even need to use assembler nowadays, just stop using braindead electron shit for a goddamn notes app, you stupid codemonkeys.

Attached: 4c846ed603ae9d952935d53def423386.png (349x440, 26K)

I think there's a big difference between "running slow on 133MHz processor" and "running slow on 2.0GHzx4+HT processor."

It's like saying a fuel-sucking car is more efficient because you have it a bigger tank so "it gets further on a single tank."

It should not take seconds to open a browser or even the most simple application on a modern computer. It should be instantaneous. If we maintained the mindset of writing applications to use as minimal instructions as possible while having the vast hardware resources we have today, everything would be near instant, and you could do more with your CPU. But I see what you are, you are just a relativist who has no standards. You worship the state. You want to be part of it. You are about controlling others, you want power, not liberty.

>minimalist autistic tranny-discord users shitting up a thread because their IBM Thinkpad from the early 2000s cannot run modern software.

Why does Jow Forums have so many of these deluded cancer fucks? Are they upset that loli is getting banned for being pedoshit and have to vent their frustrated elsewhere?

I think the problem is not so much the resources themselves but that there's nothing being gained from it. If the OS took 2GB of RAM on idle but everything was instantaneous I don't think people would complain as much. I think GNOME 3 is the best demonstration of this, where it eats a large amount of resources, yet does fuck all.

I've never understood why people who like shit products come to Jow Forums. You don't see it anywhere else but technology.

dos itself did everything instantly even on the hardware that it was actually used on. modern bloated things didnt exist when those things were used

No shit, I don't agrue on that. I already stated that most of modern "coders" are either incompetent retards or are restrained in code style to the lowest common denominator.
I mean of course MS-DOS takes half a second to load on a modern computer. But it was built with a lot slower computers in mind. It probably loaded even slower than modern OSes do today.
Likewise, Windows 10 with Electron apps will also run really snappy on 2040's pc.

> But I see what you are, you are just a relativist who has no standards. You worship the state. You want to be part of it. You are about controlling others, you want power, not liberty.
Holy shit, take your meds, dude. He just explains that normies don't really care, because most things run faster on new hardware. He doesn't advocate it.

Spending money in order to stay in place is not in my interest as a consumer.

That's not what he is saying at all. I've dealt with enough of these people to know. They're just power hungry elitists. CIA niggers.

personally i think BBS should never die that said they are relatively easy to setup.However i think the new "BBS" should be intranet wireless meshes

i could put many actually useful files in that space

dumb consumerist that thinks that everyone should buy new hardware every year just to run their bloated programs

Vid related. Basically takes the same time to load. But on modern computers Windows could load at least a bit faster, yeah.
youtu.be/TafHovJil_0

People have been tricked in to thinking computers "get slow" when they "get old."

35 seconds from button press to usable computer is still pretty impressive considering the speed of the drives and such. That modern multi-core processors and SSDs take the same time is a failing of the software. RISC-OS takes about 5 seconds.

that one is only so slow because its running some extra stuff. normal dos does not load anything after the starting ms dos part

Bonus points: phones used to actually be able to make voice calls.

Today, if you don't buy a top end phone, it drops voice after thirty seconds or so even with the latest firmware. Motorolla made their modern name out of this.

Attached: 1434775230164.png (390x329, 57K)

Try Haiku OS for contrast.

Why are UseNet services all closed? And don't bring me that crap of filesharing or eternal blah blah.

A shit load of pirated content, both in raw file size and just in terms of quantity. By the time it started getting removed from services many people there for discussions had left due to how much piracy had consumed the context of UseNet, so when it came time for ISPs etc. to cut it out, there was no reason to keep the now-empty discussion groups.

These days free servers are discussion only.

Piracy has a habit of smothering technology it attaches itself to, like how for a while torrent downloads of legal files had an announcement saying "the technology is legal."

>free servers
Where!?

news.aioe.org/
This is an easy one, though it doesn't hold discussions for very long its open enough to let you have a go at posting and exploring usenet.

Attached: urbit-the-internet-failed.png (638x757, 161K)

>tfw too brainlet to understan moldbugs aristocratonet

I used Linux for the first time today.
Accessing the framebuffer and drawing pixels like it was DOS was incredibly good feel. I miss this shit.

Downthemall. Still no proper replacement

>Downthemall
Oh god. Fucking this.

Linux is the same monstrosity

>10tb hdd are common and mainstream

>These days free servers are discussion only.
There are binary servers out there but their retention is VERY limited.

easynews masterrace reporting in.

Use nzbinex or binsearch for files and then dld with usenet client

Just werks.

Attached: polo4747 - 163-athena-adrianna-purp-and-yella-12261 - 0004full_05.jpg (1066x1600, 497K)

Easily making copies of stuff. They've done a pretty good job forcing everyone into using shitty internet services for such a simple task. With the right software and configuration all smartphones are capable of directly transferring files between them and with good speed, but they're not set up this way by default and the OS is adversarial to you trying to do it.

Basically anything that allows for autonomy has been degraded.

In hindsight webrings were a great way to find websites about particular interests.

Sister sites were cool but often run by the same people. Now days everythings just reddit it seems, very little activity on other forums

alt.blahblahblah.d or .discussion will usually (not always) have a dedicated discussion newsgroup related to a binary newsgroup - they ALWAYS have pointer to websites/tools etc.

Again nzbindex or binsearch are perfect for this.

Attached: 3e770f84-bc06-11e8-94b2-17176fbf93f5 (1).jpg (2048x1152, 554K)

We're still using that.

Attached: index.gif (400x288, 6K)

its small but i hate how posts on most services now have timestamp as
>1 hour ago
or
>3 years ago
its so counterintuitive, i fucking hate the idea that simplifying shit is so fucking pushed that even basic settings are minimised to either a yes or a no

>posted:
>sometime in the past

Even worse when the granularity is large enough to be useless.
>posted 1 year ago
>posted 2 years ago

Also, I think those timestamps were built with the idea of an ephemeral, temporary stream in mind. Everything posted is disposable, and not meant for reference.

one of the reasons i hate reddit, its useful for when im looking up information on something somewhat niche and end up on some archived subreddit post. but when i need information on when the post is from its always
>3 years ago

in this modern era of most text editors accepting UNIX style newline and UTF-8, there's plenty of reason to just use plain text

like, it's more convenient now than it's ever been

as fast as it is, oldschool Mac OS kinda fucking blows ass
especially at multitasking of any sort
whether it be dealing with the old MultiFinder style lack of memory management (nothing like fiddling with memory partitions in the Get Info box) or the cooperative multitasking (enjoy waiting for one program to finish processing something intensive so you can use your computer again) or having to reboot the machine because Finder took too much memory away from other shit
like, System 7 is a good bit less bloat than Windows 95 on comparable hardware, and asstons faster, but it's also a decent bit less pleasant to use and just as unstable (hell, at least if a program dies on 95, I can usually kill the offending program and save whatever other shit I had open -- if something dies on System 7, all I can do is click restart since it bombed out).
It's a bad example, and there's a damn good reason why Apple spent the entirety of the 90s looking for a replacement.

that being said, to this day, I still have no idea why post-XP Windows is so ungodly fat
a pretty standard Linux distro like Ubuntu out of the box is like 6GB, and that still comes loaded full of software, vs Vista onward's 6GB Windows folder with fuck-all installed (7/8/10 is like 10-12GB)
my /usr folder is like 3GB on this machine, and I've got a decent bit of software installed
and 3GB is absolutely crazy compared to like 20MB System 7 install (it's like 40MB or so if you installed everything) or a 40MB Windows 95 install (again, more like 120 for everything), but I can at least imagine where the space is going

what in fuck's name is a bare OS with just like wordpad and paint installed doing being 6+ GB, let alone your disk use after you install your multi-gigabyte copies of Office and the Adobe suite and shit

Humans can't multitask, but computers can, and not all useful multitasking is necessarily of the former kind. Try using an old cooperatively tasked operating system like classic Mac OS in the same ways you would use your current computer and you'll see the deficiencies of primitive/non-existent multitasking very quickly.
It's not a conspiracy or incompetence, you're merely just not on the receiving end of the improvements anymore as a casual user. Many mainstay pieces of software we use today were indeed perfected for the average user very early on in their lifetimes, and since then developers focused on improving them in ways that assisted more specific use cases or different kinds of users from ourselves. A modern copy of Word is still pretty much just as proficient at putting rich text on the screen as Word 4.0 was, but now contains much more advanced spell/grammar checking for multiple languages, smarter help facilities that monitor user activity and attempt to point them to features that may be of use to them or prevent mistakes before they actually happen, better integration with other Office software, styles, built-in equation editors, watermarking, mail merging, reference management, markup/commenting, collaborative editing and access management, and a multitude of other fuck-knows-what lurking around that maybe one or two people will end up using ever.

That's not to say there aren't still tons of stupid decisions, needless inefficiencies and overly expensive features that are simply not needed in modern software, but to imply anyone can do nearly the exact same things on your LC III as whatever computer you're currently posting from right now is just silly. There's a reason I'm not writing this from my Quadra 700 I was attempting to daily drive for a good portion of 2016.

This actually makes me think more that we don't really have much consumer choice any more. While it is true that something like a modern version of MS Word has far more features than Word in the days of DOS, if those features are useless to you there's no way to forego them and have a reduced cost. I know that there's LibreOffice, but using something non-MS Word basically leaves you speaking a foreign language to most people.

There's no way to, say, as a writer get a machine about the cost of a SBC that functions as a featured (not fully featured, but features comparable to Word 95, and the comparable OS, or so) to fulfil your needs.

>Spend weeks rewriting your autoexec and config or you won’t do jack shit.
>not just using QEMM you pirated off your local warez BBS and getting perfect upper memory utilization every time

If you want a better OS like that, get kolibrios.org or menuetos.net/ or even tinycorelinux.net/ or such.

But you'll probably find out that while today's software is surely not the most efficiently written, it still does a lot more and going with absolute minimalism is an arsepain in terms of absence of functionality.

So really, just use Antix, Nix, Guix, Gentoo or whatever else you like.

I miss the audio clarity of copper land lines. All this technological advancement and wireless bandwidth yet cell phones still sound like utter shit and you often struggle to understand what the fuck the other person is saying because their voice is compressed to shit.

> All this technological advancement and wireless bandwidth yet cell phones still sound like utter shit
That's actually probably your phone provider trying to get paid with minimum bandwidth usage.

Even people who can't into technology are often using their own VoIP software - whatsapp, discord and such. If you talk to more tech-savy people, you can get crystal clear audio on mumble or riot or whatever.

The "general purpouse creator OS". At one point in time, OSes were moving towards offering a full media suite to create all kinds of media. As a kid, these were fun but more importantly you could edit basic shit.

Attached: 51H947J5G0L._SX385_[1].jpg (385x468, 26K)