Pacman -Syu

>pacman -Syu
>system kills itself and won't boot anymore because of a missing link to libidn2
>"Year of the Linux desktop guys!!!"

Attached: 1480332652244.png (728x615, 740K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/System_maintenance#Partial_upgrades_are_unsupported
archive.archlinux.org/packages/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

that's what you get for using unstable shit like arch. use something stable next time

works on my machine

>pacman -Syu
found your problem

>using arch
Gee, who would've thought an unstable distro would be unstable?

>xbps-install -Su
>everthing works fine.

Attached: pizzacat.png (317x317, 180K)

until you update at the same time the repo is rebuilding some package and everything breaks. I love Void, but don’t try to pass it off as stable

Void is a shit placebo distro and you know it.

More like
>nothing installs because there are no packages
And if you try to uninstall anything it will either leave every dep behind, or break the whole system by removing deps of a package also needed by another package.

nice FUD archfags, go lick your wounds somewhere else.

Attached: pokoteng.jpg (210x240, 19K)

I'm pretty sure that one was a problem exclusive to Manjaro

Nice blog post. Install Gentoo.

Manjaro is basically extra mutilated Arch, same shit.

Butthurt voidpajeet is butthurt.
Install Gentoo.

ITT: things that never actually happened

>Coca Cola is shit because there's Pepsi, which is basically just mutilated Coca Cola.

lel it's been over 6 months since I updated my arch packages there's only like 800 though, but im probably still gonna get fucked.

What a shit analogy.

A domain name library can break your system? lel

Just happened to me the other day. I'm pretty new to arch so I didn't know what to do other than just reinstall the whole OS.
What should you even do when that happens? I couldn't even use pacman anymore because of that.

Boot into live system, mount root and boot partition, chroot, pacman -Syyuu

I actually did try that, but even while chrooted, running pacman just spat out an error saying it couldn't find libidn2 or whatever. Oh well, I guess I'll figure it out next time this inevitably happens.

Honestly you have to be a cuck if you keep using arch after that. Install gentoo on top of this and use the clover.ga binhost (but do NOT use the clover.ga install media, it's broken as fuck). Gentoo is rock stable and allows you to downgrade package versions anytime.

You can find a copy of the library precompiled somewhere (or compile it yourself) and manually install it into /usr/lib or /lib.

Yeah, that makes sense. Thanks.

Maybe so. I barely know what I'm doing with arch though, so gentoo sounds like too huge of a step for me at this point. I might get to that point eventually.

Amerifats leave

Thank you for the heads up op I'll have mom cancel my appointment

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/System_maintenance#Partial_upgrades_are_unsupported

>use vanilla arch for a year
>update a few times a week
>literally have never gotten a bug, error, or failed update
feels nice

I think the problem was that the Manjaro repo maintainers had linked systemd against the wrong version of that library, so yes, in that case it can.

Only issue I ever had on arch was systemD systemBreaking itself

Just use Ubuntu lol

Technology breaks. My windows install managed to corrupt its boot partition the other day after a failed update. It's all shit.

The thing with linux is that programs that are currently loaded do not get hot-reloaded, so you won't see that something is broken (such as X, init, bootloader) until you reboot.

Install Devuan

>Shitty old meme about Pacman
Found the problem. OP has never actually used Linuggs

how is unstability a reason when it doesn't happen on windows when windows is the most bleeding edge OS since there is no repo and no testing and programs either auto update or ask you as soon as it's available upstream?

There is actually significant testing on wangblows, but wangblows people downright ignore the result of the testing. There is no testing on arch and there is no way to pull specific versions or to do formal partial upgrades in arch. So if a program depends on an unstable version of a software, you're fucked.

works for me

>there is no way to pull specific versions
there is archive.archlinux.org/packages/
how is there testing on windows if there's no filter between upstream? You can/are forced to update as soon as it's available, on linux it has to first go on repo
>if a program depends on an unstable version of a software, you're fucked.
had this happen to me and I had no problems keeping some unstable python2 library outdated until the program that depended on it got updated to python 3, could easily kept the py2 package if program was still python2
people spend more time memeing about how arch breaks than I spend time fixing the little stuff there is to fix once in a blue moon

2 years running arch
it’s pacman -Syyu
scroll:green:you mong

There is such a filter, but it's all kinds of retarded. For example, if you update on a day that's not tuesday, you get to betatest stuff (true fact), while tuesday updates are the "stable" stuff (protip: not stable at all).
python2 and python3 are available in parallel basically everywhere so your example is absolutely retarded.
The archilinux archive is ridiculously limited. Did you even try ever looking at it?

Manjaro is an arch installer with delayed package releases and security issues. They once asked every user to fix a bad update by altering their system clock.

works in my universe