I need a tablet with a reasonably large screen that allows me to take handwritten notes and read/annotate papers...

I need a tablet with a reasonably large screen that allows me to take handwritten notes and read/annotate papers. Basically a complete paper replacement, both for reading and writing. What are some alternatives to the iPad Pro?

Attached: notes-air-ipad-f.jpg (1440x800, 200K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=x-WGiYiHppg
youtu.be/giIYoto4ZkA?t=118
youtu.be/onWX2uBvouo?t=102
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handedness#Correlation_with_other_factors
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

youtube.com/watch?v=x-WGiYiHppg

The surface pro 6 and the surface go are good alternatives.

this is a very good option if you enjoy waiting 10 minutes for a pdf page to flip

also, multitasking (reading textbook + writing notes separately) is impossible

>this is a very good option if you enjoy waiting 10 minutes for a pdf page to flip
I don't have this problem, takes about half a second to flip a PDF page.
>(reading textbook + writing notes separately) is impossible
This is true if you don't want to write in the textbook.
You can write into PDFs just fine, but there's no splitscreen to open multiple documents at the same time.

Surface Pro is pretending to be a laptop replacement, which usually just means that it combines the worst of both laptops and tablets. It costs as much as iPad Pro too, and desu if OP specifically wants a tablet, then I'd recommend the iPad over Surface.

But Surface Go seems like great value for money.

ThinkPad x1 3rd gen

Well it is a laptop replacement, the I pad is a over priced toy. Besides drawing the I pad is competently useless.

The iPad is literally perfect for the use case that OP described. If you're only going to take notes and read papers, I'd recommend the iPad 100% over having to fuck with a full Windows OS.

I've yet to be satisfied by a complete tablet replacement. I tried the iPad2 and the original Surface Pro. While both models have had improvements over the years (iPen and thinner surface models) the idea is just to finicky to work quite as I want it. Deleting or adjusting text is always a chore and the pen feel is too smooth. Changing pages and getting through them quickly is a chore to me.

Currently I use paper notebooks for notes and HW and my iPad2 for E-text books. I keep it in airplane mode so the battery lasts for almost a week of intermediate use. I can directly access the file system of the pad in xubuntu by plugging in and unlocking; which is why I am reluctant to try a newer model.

The surface had a terrible aspect ratio for books. 16:9 is awful for anything other than movies (check new models for changed ratios I cant speak for them). The keyboard only works on a desk so the thing is really a desktop tablet combo rather than a laptop-tablet combo. Plus windows 10 is trash, I abandoned it after making the mistake of upgrading from win 8. It collects dust currently. The pen and digitizer are OK (original pro has real wacom) and do take decent notes via Onenote, I just got over the digital note idea pretty quick.

My GF has an android Lenovo yogabook. It has a hinge design with the second half being either a lightup touch keyboard or a wacom pen surface. I have not tried it extensively, but it seems to be the best of both worlds for book reading and E note taking. With the clamshell closed it's similar in thickness to my iPad. The pen also requires no battery which is great. She lost her original pen but my surface pro pen works perfectly on it.

The writing interface and styluses keep improving every year, so do give the new models (both iPad and SP) a try at some point.

Yeah. Read that the surface GO has a proper 3:2 ratio as well. Not a bad option is you can handle windows, which I can't at this point. Like I said, OneNote has a solid note interface. I just bought a thinkpad so I'm done with new junk for awhile myself. I type on the keyboard just for pleasure, it's so good.

install gentoo

>I need a tablet
No you need this.

Attached: x220t.jpg (800x600, 182K)

Ipad and Ipad pro are hands down the best for what you want. The 6th gen ipad is way cheaper and works with apple pen if you want to save money and dont care about the fanciest specs

Surface pro line is pretty shit at being a laptop and mediocre as a tablet. Windows isnt a great interface on a tablet imo and you dont have many apps to choose from for notetaking. You should try it though, you might enjoy it over ipad

Honestly the iPad Pro is 99% perfect for the type of thing that you want, but at this point it honestly feels like Apple is intentionally making the OS as fucking terrible as possible. No file management was a joke even when the iPhone came out, but come on, to not have any reasonable file management on a "laptop replacement" is beyond laughable. Also, when it comes to note-taking, keep in mind that on the iPad you literally cannot open two windows of the same app because Apple.

On the other hand, the Surface packs a full-fledged OS which means, on the one hand, that you have access to all the features that you can dream of, but on the other hand you need to tolerate Windows 10 and get used to your battery being drained 10x faster than on the iPad.

I wish so fucking much that Android tablets weren't disregarded so much by all the Android manufacturers. The Galaxy tablets are a fucking joke, they are inferior in almost every way to the iPad yet cost the same because the giant OLEDs are expensive as shit.

All in all, there is no good choice.

iPad 6 base model is $300 and works with apple pencil. Makes for a $400 combo but is best tablet writing experience on market for lowest price.

Just use paper

Attached: barron drinking.jpg (223x250, 5K)

Get an ereader, maybe something from Sony's DPT line

HP Elite x2 1013 G3. Its a nice tablet that competes against the Surface, but the speakers suck dick. So if sound is something you want as well, then avoid this one.

Attached: c06123619.png (474x356, 187K)

Just buy an iPad Pro. I have the 2017 (12 inch) one, bought it used for roughly 400 bucks and it's perfect.

First time I have ever managed to keep my notes and work sheets together. Surface is utter garbage never buy. Windows would constantly fuck up and delete my notes, overheat and start updates while on the go.

Hands down iPad Pro 12" master cock. Everything else sucks balls. The best about the iPad is that you only have dual view which gives you focus on given tasks rather than multitasking taking notes and fapping to hentai.

But can paper break if I drop it? Does it get stolen while I look away?

I think not. Checkmate analogfags

None, the ipad pro (or even just the ipad really) are the best. Window's tablet ecosystem sucks, there's next to no softwware actually designed for tablet mode and Windows itself isn't very good as a tablet OS, like the keyboard is garbage, almost no devices have any feedback, UI scaling is still funky. If you're an artist and you want a cintiq like device for drawing then sure, a windows tablet/convertible is great, but for note taking and reading, a paper replacement, then no. Do not go with windows, you'll regret it

surface pro 6 isn't underpowered and runs a full version of windows 10 so I fail to see the problem here

if you want a laptop that you also can use to take notes then you go for the surface book

surface pro 6

>tablet with a flap keyboard
>laptop replacement
No. If it can't sit stable on your laps, it's not a laptop replacement. I mean
>requires 3 points of support
>very limited adjustment of display angle because at the same time you move the support leg
is this even considered portable?

>surface pro 6 isn't underpowered and runs a full version of windows 10 so I fail to see the problem here
what I meant was and not it being underpowered. it's not a replacement for a laptop, it's just a tablet packed with features that you would never want to use on a tablet

Because most people actually use their "laptops" on desks you tard

>most people treat X like Y
>therefore X is Y

This. Cheap as fuck nowadays too.

Attached: 20190217_134837.jpg (4032x3024, 2.37M)

You can find refurbished Surface Gos now too.

too bulky and heavy
screen is IPS but has a glossy finish
wacom pen is inaccurate, especially near the edges

looks pretty good
>look up price
AHAHAHAHHAHAAH, I'll stick with actual paper

Attached: 1544033138222.jpg (758x361, 58K)

Attached: 1525174823595.png (447x437, 307K)

OP asked for an ipad pro alternative.
It costs about the same, but is much better at the job he wants it to get done.

ipad pro does infinitely more and is infinitely faster

>much better at the job he wants it to get done.
no it isn't, painting or drawing on the iPad pro is way better than this or even the surface pro 6.

>fan noise

>all these ipadcucks

both irrelevant for OP's use case.
>a complete paper replacement, both for reading and writing
The iPad is a better toy, if you want to use facebook and watch movies on it. That's about it.
What remarkable has over ipad:
>e-ink screen
>paper-like feel and pen tip resistance
>pen requires no battery due to inductive power
>almost non-existent distance between pen tip and display (no glass layer on top)
>doesn't bend
>shatter-proof because screen isn't made of glass

What they both have:
>pressure and tilt sensitive pens
>dedicated writing and drawing software for notes and PDFs
>very low delay between pen strokes and them appearing on the screen

What iPad has over the remarkable:
>distracting apps like facebook and youtube
>A color screen
>Can opens 2 documents side by side at the same time

>>e-ink screen
the only signigicant difference, everything else, the ipad if way better at

the remarkable looks really great for notes etc but I'd honestly kill myself if I had to go through menus or search through pdfs at this speed
youtu.be/giIYoto4ZkA?t=118

HOLY FUCKING SHIT fuck this slow piece of shit
>I'd honestly kill myself if I had to go through menus or search through pdfs at this speed
this but unironically

There's a bunch of zoomers in my class doing this.
It's split about 60:40 with iPad Pro and Surface.

There is literally nothing that can replace pen/pencil and paper

How about the fact that it feels like you're poking a plastic stick on slippery greasy reflective glass when using the iPad to take notes?
Remarkable doesn't feel slippery and hard, it's a little textured like paper, has almost no light reflection, offers resistance when you slide the pen over the surface, and so on.
That video is from 2017, The software was horrible back then and vastly improved over the last few months.
Also, the visual speed is very misleading to actual user experience because of the following:
Since e-ink screens draw parts of the screen, they can look rather slow (in menus only, drawing is lightning fast).
But the actual software and the touchscreen is NOT as slow as the display.
You don't have to wait for things to draw, if you already know where they are going to be.
You can press things really fast, and they will all be executed a moment later.
For example, you can scroll down 5 times in half a second, and the screen will scroll 5 times too, even if it hasn't finished drawing the first scroll yet.
The actual user input and menu navigation is as fast as any other tablet, the screen just displays it a bit delayed (which also has benefits like 2 weeks battery life)

I've heard that writing on the iPad feels weird because it's like writing on glass, while Surface Pro and other tablets have a somewhat better texture and feedback. Anyone can comment on this?

>That video is from 2017, The software was horrible back then
it's never going to do a 180 and be responsive all of a sudden. so stop shilling your shilly overpriced slow as fuck tablet.

>want to try out Remarkable because of this thread
>tfw find out they don't sell it in my country

Attached: 1546400932733.jpg (1080x1090, 58K)

Why are they all like $500+? Why not $50-$100 range?

ipad has screenprotectors for that, but yeah it's true. the surface pro 6 is better for just note taking but if you do art, then ipad pro is the better option. the reMarkable is absolute trash though

watch this: youtu.be/giIYoto4ZkA?t=118

How is it not a laptop replacement? I've been using mine for 3 years now in uni and it's easily the best laptop I could've bought for school. Math/physics notes with the pen and the rest typed on my typecover. The form factor is amazing for what it is, I've got my laptop and PDFs for class and notes all in one device that easily slips in my bag. Can write C programs, alt tab to word and finish a report, alt tab again and shitpost on Jow Forums or discord or whatever. iPad Pros are a pathetic joke and a downgrade in almost any meaningful way. Sure, they have 120Hz panels but that doesn't matter when THEY DON'T HAVE FULL MICROSOFT OFFICE.

>it's never going to do a 180 and be responsive all of a sudden.
I will illustrate my point then.
As you can see in the video, the screen drawing time in menus is very misleading.
It looks slow if you only do one thing and wait for it to appear on the screen.
But it's actually very fast, just like any other tablet, as you can see when I select a lot of files very quickly.

Attached: ss (2019-02-17 at 20.22.03).webm (544x956, 2.34M)

youtu.be/onWX2uBvouo?t=102

lmao

this is still kindle paperwhite tier slow

Are you just arguing against e-ink screens in general then?
What I was arguing against this statement:
>I'd honestly kill myself if I had to go through menus or search through pdfs at this speed

Also, here is a video against "enjoy waiting 10 minutes for a pdf page to flip" as mentioned in And "slow" as you can see in the speed of the pen strokes going to paper

Attached: ss (2019-02-17 at 20.29.18).webm (374x668, 2.63M)

notice the obvious reMarkable shill ITT

fucking yikes

Attached: 1538994896174.jpg (500x374, 34K)

Here's one on the speed of menu navigation.
Again it looks slow if you wait for the e-ink screen to finish drawing.
But as shown in the second half, the actual interface can handle even the fastest input I throw at it, before the screen even draws it.

Attached: ss (2019-02-17 at 20.34.18).webm (476x820, 1.66M)

>That video is from 2017, The software was horrible back then and vastly improved over the last few months.
post a example

So all I have to do is start tapping inputs before the screen has time to respond? Brilliant!

You can use it as fast as you like.
Since the interface is very clean and simple, you'll learn where everything is after 1 or 2 days of using it.
What I am saying is that it does not feel like the device is slow, but it will most likely look that way if you watch a review on youtube.

>What I am saying is that it does not feel like the device is slow, but it will most likely look that way if you watch a review on youtube.
And I'm not retarded so I know that a seriously laggy UI will make the whole experience laggy, regardless of your autism. Like, just the process of testing a few pen radii would be a fucking mess with that much display latency. You're not fooling anyone.

>just the process of testing a few pen radii would be a fucking mess with that much display latency.
Maybe when it's your first time using the device.

Attached: ss (2019-02-17 at 20.45.33).webm (474x840, 1.75M)

it's not the UI it's an eInk limitation

I can see that pen latency even when drawing from here, and with my surface any app with extra latency is immediately obvious/horrible feeling to write with. Get your head out of your ass.

Attached: ss (2019-02-17 at 20.52.20).webm (744x386, 1.69M)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Stop posting

Attached: IMG_20190217_2102502.jpg (4056x2704, 2.23M)

Attached: download.jpg (244x207, 12K)

based and inkpilled

Attached: 1424391821311.jpg (184x184, 4K)

No more weebums because it's not making people buy your product?
Here's a tablet with a proper display and proper input latency where you don't write slow as molasses waiting for the pen trail

Attached: pen.webm (1920x1080, 2.92M)

I got a good giggle, thanks for that.

Attached: 1526067793034.gif (184x141, 1024K)

I'd kill myself if I had to write on that screen for longer than 10 minutes

>left hander
into the trash it goes

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handedness#Correlation_with_other_factors :^)

>all that slippery glass making everything curvy because the pen tip can't be controlled
>can't feel when pen tip is no longer touching screen (because no friction), so all your letters are connected by random lines where you left the pen on the screen
>that bright pixely screen glare

Attached: arse.png (145x102, 34K)

>all that slippery glass making everything curvy because the pen tip can't be controlled
That's literally not true though, the stock pen tip was mushy but I replaced it.
>can't feel when pen tip is no longer touching screen (because no friction), so all your letters are connected by random lines where you left the pen on the screen
This literally isn't a thing, I write this way on paper too
>that bright pixely screen glare
Sorry I don't have a camera and good lighting to get a good shot, but I'm also not a paid shill like you seem to be.

a notepad plus pen, digital notes are a meme

Oh wow, correlation

Attached: correlation.jpg (891x623, 191K)

Better than no correlation

the screen on this looks amazing, but why hasn't the e-ink technology progressed? the interface feels like it's the first kindle

Anyone have a Chrome OS tablet? When I used a Note phone many years ago, I was really impressed with the Android note taking apps. I'm assuming it's only gotten better and that Chrome OS should run these apps perfectly.

I have tried X201T and Samsung Note Pro 12.
X201T
>thick, uncomfortable for writing
>one side is thicker and the whole thing is slanted so it makes portrait awkward
>got actual OS with a good choice of software
>16:10 is bad for notes
>hinge gets loose over time
>it does serve as a laptop pretty well
Note
>poor quality
>not thought out design, capacitive buttons right where you want to rest your hand (rejected when pen is nearby in outdated stock ROM, I've got a newer one so I just use it upside-down and cover the light sensor when writing kek)
>16:10 is bad for notes
>pajeetdroid
>at least got splitscreen (with unofficial ROM)
>but can't open two instances of one program at once (fucking can't open two PDFs, have 2 different PDF viewers for that)
>there is like one program for taking notes that's barely acceptable but is pretty much abandoned (but they still milk money out of it)
>pen has no smoothing by default, the program above doesn't do it
>replacing parts is actually quite easy (battery, buttons)
>smallass pen, there was an adapter to make it bigger but can't find it anywhere anymore
Writing and editing notes is pretty nice though. And yes, in both cases the pen is inaccurate near edges. Also with the Samsung pen the cursor is much closer to the tip (that's because Wacom pens don't sense the tip itself but a bit behind it - when you angle your pen you offset the cursor from the tip - but on Note it's actually perfectly aligned no matter the angle).

Fuck, I need to become a wizard quickly and install a proper GNU/Linux on top of that android piece of shit. That alone would make it so much better.

It lags. It's obviously and painfully visible.
>having to justify your purchase so much you come here to shill it for free
I see why one could be excited for Remarkable but it's obviously early tech and still needs a lot of work.

I use 144Hz screens with strobing and think a 60Hz screen is laggy. With that in mind, I can tell you that writing on the screen does not feel laggy at all. It's visible in the video if you look at the very tip of the pen and follow it with your eyes, but I can't see or feel it while actually using it.
Note that writing is much faster than menu navigation. Menu navigation obviously looks laggy, responds to user input just fine though.

sony digital paper

No, I see it immediately when I look at the video. It lags. It starts rendering a stroke when you're halfway through it. I have a tablet with pen and it gets laggy when I make a very long stroke (like doodling with single stroke for a dozen seconds) so I know how laggy feels.

> I have a tablet with pen and it gets laggy when I make a very long stroke (like doodling with single stroke for a dozen seconds) so I know how laggy feels.
e-ink "lag" is very different from lcd display lag.
Since normal displays use frames, it's either there or not (unless you have super slow screen)
That way you will always have the end of the stroke clearly hanging behind the pen tip (see top half of image)
When drawing on the e-ink screen, there's no framerate. Instead, it gradually fades the ink in.
This feels more like it's instantly there but the ink takes 50ms to "dry" while it gradually becomes more visible.
Maybe this contributes to it not feeling laggy when you use it.
Find a faster e-ink screen, if you find one. You probably won't.

Attached: e-ink lag.png (640x480, 4K)

Have you tried Lecture Notes? I'm not sure if you're referring to that since it's the best app I've seen.

LectureNotes by Acadoid Developer?

I probably won't. That's what I mean by "it's early tech". Sure it might lag in a different way but it's still a noticeable lag.

Yes

>paid
>raster graphics
>wonky controls but that might be actually configurable
>no smoothing (unless I missed the option)
>seems slow
>has layers
>seamless page scrolling
>actually has editing features you'd expect
>no infinite pages
>crude interface but I might actually like it
>quite a lot of options, that's good
>I can't see options for redo gestures, that's a shame
>have to go to settings (pages have to be saved) to pick a custom pen colour, but I do indeed pick just a few colours in practice so I could set them in place
Overall: good try shill. By the way the one I use is Squid and it seems to be the only free one that isn't garbage. But actually, LectureNotes look pretty good but I'm not sold on it yet. I might give it some more time later.

>tablet PC
>linux

Attached: 1516797969382.png (163x191, 40K)

Lol I can tell you don't use an iPad.

You do know modern surfaces have a 3:2 aspect ratio>

>The surface had a terrible aspect ratio for books. 16:9 is awful for anything other than movies (check new models for changed ratios I cant speak for them).

Ive used my surface on my lap many times.