What text editor does Jow Forums use?

So I have been using vim for a while now as my main text editor of choice, and was wondering what Jow Forums uses, do you gents/ladies use vim, emacs or something else?

Attached: 8724rgh83u78ryh934wui8dh.png (1200x1202, 106K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/amix/vimrc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

notepad++ because i don't have autism

kakoune because i have autism

yep, I use vim.

emacs evil mode

IntelliJ IDEA Ultimate

Vim

I want to try Emacs though. Sort of overwhelmed buy it. Should I just use the built in tutorial?

if you use evil mode it won't be too much of a hassle, the tutorial is more aimed towards default emacs keys

just try to get your config file tidy from the start or else it will be a pain down the line

IntelliJ

Emacs, even if you really like Vim, Evil mode pretty much encapsulates it perfectly. Plus, Elisp is far more powerful of a scripting tool than what Vim uses. And in terms of personal preference, I find the Emacs style of M-?, C-?, s-? much more intuitive given the way most operating systems implement key combinations.

this.
i recently found out about doom emacs and it's just great. with it, you don't have to understand the whole emacs ecosystem to have a decent emacs ide. (also works great in ttys)

The only time I don't use emacs for writing code is when I have to do shit in Java, because Java is almost designed to require autocomplete. Though, I'm sure there's a package for that already

i use meghanada (comes with doom emacs) for it, works pretty nice
and it's definitively faster then the eclipse backend

I'm posting from emacs right now

notepad++
vim for editing config files

vim, emacs is not a text editor

vi with macros in .exrc
vim is bloat

Emacs + tons of custom configuration because I was an autistic sophomore with time on my hands. Now it's too comfy to give up

Plugin name? I'm assuming it's not EWW

sublime, n++, nano, micro

I do want to learn how to use vim though, maybe I'll get there someday.

jEdit master race reporting in

Attached: logo64.png (64x64, 4K)

Is there any non-meme reason to use vim over vscode with vim plugin?

>using java programs
lmao

Neovim with Spacevim as my config

Embrace, extend, extinguish, user.

hello r×ddit

Neovim mainly, with a little bit of VSC.

oh sry my bad, emacs is a operating system that have a decent editor.
lulz

it's a lightweight, quick and dirty way to edit files.
and when you create your plugins, you can make vim a comfy ide*

and for efficiency

Attached: text editors 2018.png (962x930, 53K)

Emacs is whatever you want it to be. It's why it's the best environment in actual use.

Attached: black-flag-of-emacs.png (442x274, 40K)

Neovim

>notepad++ because i don't have autism
I pity you
Experiencing the joy of using and ricing vim is one of the few perks of autismus

>doom emacs
Emacs distros are such a meme
One year earlier Jow Forums was shilling spacemacs and now it's nowhere to be found

>because Java is almost designed to require autocomplete
It is though
I don't use vim for java either (although javacomplete2 is pretty neat)
But nothing beats in comfiness of good java completion in netbeans or even eclipse

>vscode
I'd rather not have an editor that runs on top of a bloated web browser
Besides, I'm not sure vscode should even be advertised as a text editor
It's more like an ide since it's project centric and litters the workspace with json files
Typical microsoft trash desu
Vim is still the superior editor

I use lsp-java, although there are some issues with it

VSCode if I'm working with folders, sublime/nano for quick edits.
I'll probably get sublime replaced for something 100% free.

>muh bloated web browser
It opens as fast as anything else and only uses 100MB of memory.

Can you even debug with vim or do you actually have to keep typing next?

Actually now you can debug in vim
But I'd rather not have a debugger in a text editor

>It opens as fast as anything else and only uses 100MB of memory.
That's still easily worth 10 gvim windows, not great.

>Can you even debug with vim or do you actually have to keep typing next?
Why would you need to debug in a text editor? That's not what text editors are for. Use a separate debugger or look for an integration if you insist on setting breakpoints and stepping through code inside your text editor.

Besides, what do you even need a debugger for? Print debugging is fine for me for almost every case.

well said

Vim for small things, VScode community edition for the rest.

I simply can't get ale to work with vim, I can't get autocompletion

It eats way less resources, I've had to work on laptops with 6 gb ram and using vscode is a lag nightmare when I need backend, frontend, web browser and sql gui open and constantly switching between them.

>Use a separate debugger or look for an integration if you insist on setting breakpoints and stepping through code inside your text editor.
That's exactly what VSCode does, it integrates with other debuggers such as GDB for example.

I can just run the program and the debugger interactively shows me the value of every variable without me having to type printf at any point, that is miles ahead of doing that.

>I can load up a whole other program taking more space and having at least 2 windows with redundant information
>A program that is probably barely maintained and looks like shit because nobody cares about GUIs for debuggers, and if it doesn't have one it's typing next, and print on gdb
>Or I can just run the debugger through the integration with my text editor
Yeah, I wonder which ones is quicker and more efficient to work with

>That's exactly what VSCode does, it integrates with other debuggers such as GDB for example.
That's good. So, it has support for the most popular debuggers and probably doesn't for the rest. I'd imagine vim is pretty much the same. But really print logging is fine for anything that doesn't have long compile times. I've used debuggers while working on C# and Java but if you know what you're doing you don't need live views on variables etc since you already know most of what's going on.

emacs

>people on Jow Forums are using a chromium botnet editor
>by micro$oft
>that records your keystrokes to train an AI to replace you
Lol

If you're on Windows just stop trying. What language are you trying to get it working for?

>be me
>vim autist who refuses to use IDEs now

this

combining it with tmux makes it very quick/light weight to open various sessions.

Vim, with vim keybinds in everything else not vim.

GMEdit for GML, Sublime for almost everything else. I kinda want to learn Vim or Emacs but they seem really hard.

Mostly Spacemacs because I'm too lazy to configure Emacs myself.
Also github.com/amix/vimrc because I am too lazy to configure Vim either.
(And yes I use Oh-My-Zsh too)

emacs. anything else save for mg and ed is shit.

Enjoy have microsoft slowly insert itself into your brain and ass over the next decade. Rip off the bandaid, user.
>b but it's open source!
Does not matter.

Attached: antarctic_scale_worm.jpg (900x1237, 173K)

Emacs is comfy desu

sublime text of course

Attached: sublime_text.png (256x256, 38K)

Which implementation of vi do you use? Nvi?

Neovim for quick editing and spacemacs for programming.
I use neovim for the '+' register, no fancy runtime plugins. Spacemacs because I've just recently opened the word of Emacs and didn't bother to build configuration from the scratch. I plan to though.

i'm on linux, I'm trying c++. I've only tried with g++ since I don't want to use clang and don't even have it installed, do I really need to use clang?

Why wouldn't you use clang? It's a strict improvement - instead of being ad hoc it converts your code into the common LLVM IR format and then works on that, it's a nicer solution so I don't see why you'd not want that.

The fuck?

how exactly is that an improvement? better optimized code, faster runtime?

vscode because I don't feel the need to prove myself to a bunch of autists

That's not a text editor.

All the completers use it because it's modular and you can hook into the various stages of parsing and compilation using its API. So your completer can grab the list of tokens, or look at the AST, or whatever else, just relying on clang and not having to implement its own parsing.
As far as I know gcc is monolithic which makes it much, much trickier to extract intermediate information like this.

usually nano but sometimes geany if i need to edit some bigger thing

thanks for the info but my previous question was more general than auto completion, how is clang better than g++ at "compiling"?

Why don't you figure it out for yourself, you're the one who's refusing to test it out just because. Clang is usually faster at compiling for starters and it can do stuff like user just explained to you.

i have no problem with using clang to get the completion but since I'm going to install it I don't lose anything in using it if it's better than g++, I just wanted to know, thanks anyway

It's not fundamentally better. It's newer, more modern, and arguably better engineers by virtue of being modular etc., so in theory should be easier to maintain and therefore better written and more bug-free. In practice compilers are such a complicated beast that it's hard to say what's "better". Optimisations will probably be different, and also the ABI might not necessarily be compatible.

By all means, use whichever you like. I personally stick with gcc because, well, you still need it for almost anything on a GNU/Linux system, so I wouldn't be able to uninstall it either. So I just use whatever is definitely compatible with almost everything.

Atom for programming and nano for everything else.

Long time vim user but I switch to Emacs because of Org-mode

Attached: net neutrality.png (1000x1000, 533K)

I like using vim because it makes me superior to you pathetic mental weaklings.

Emacs with evil mode is superb. Besides, ricing Emacs with Elisp is incredibly comfy.

Spacemacs

Sell me on kakoune. Have you tried vis? How does it compare? Because vis is just vim with nicer regex, and I'm not fond of modal editing.