/wt/ - Watch Thread

This thread is about the appreciation of the technology within watches, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a functioning timepiece.

Guides:
>Watch essentials 102: pastebin.com/Rc77hhXV
>Purchasing used watches: pastebin.com/f44aJKy2
>Purchasing straps: pastebin.com/SwRysprE

Should I buy this MVMT / DW / *Fashion brand* watch?
>Scroll throught this album first: imgur.com/a/6CNO8

"Suggest a watch for me."
>Your budget
>Watch type, e.g. dress, diver, flieger, etc...
>Desired bracelet option, e.g. leather, nylon, metal
>Wrist size or desired watch size, e.g. 17cm / 38mm

Attached: Grand-Seiko-Snowflake-SBGA211.005.jpg (1250x834, 144K)

Other urls found in this thread:

m.imgur.com/a/NFMXDuK
chooseblocks.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

#wristgame

Post yours gents

Attached: IMG_2534.jpg (800x800, 155K)

this is my daily driver

Attached: anons_watch.jpg (953x1440, 485K)

would like to add a new watch o my collection.

>it has to be 38mmm
>mechanical (handwired only if possible)
>can be funky
>no chromed
>no russian
>no gold

Attached: f91w.jpg (3264x2448, 2.2M)

sage and hide

that nato band will break, the choke points are so tight that it will implode

first for windyknob

Attached: bnib_seiko_prospex_diver_solar_sne437_sne437p_sne437p1_man_watch_1483875864_a7eb75dc.jpg (640x640, 59K)

tfw windy abandoned us ;_;

so it begins... again

Attached: 1531260659684.jpg (980x1040, 138K)

Nice watch Abdul, you will be more cool in your terrorist crew with your nato straps

Why would you want a watch when your phone already tells you the time?

Info on beads?

To look stylish you turd

This thread belongs on /fa/ then.

Sure thing bud next time I'm in a work meeting and want to know how long there is left I'll just pull out my phone partway through, I'm sure nobody will mind

Hamilton khaki field mechanical
>38mm
>Handwound only (ETA 2801)
>Matte finish
>Not Russian
>No gold

Attached: Hamilton-Khaki-Field-Mechanical-Review-gear-patrol-ambiance.jpg (1300x1800, 668K)

I am glad he is gone.

Attached: BKKLmRfCQAA_B6F.jpg_large.jpg (964x711, 52K)

m.imgur.com/a/NFMXDuK

If any Jow Forumsouble nigger sees something wrong in this or wants to add their own watch suggestion then give me a shout

Why would I revert to a pocket watch when I can just glance at my wrist?

ye i know that one was my starting point i guess i will end buying that on.

Attached: tudor heritage black bay.jpg (3820x2160, 2.68M)

>tfw wristlet
there's a single watch on that chart which would work well on a 6.25" wrist. add more watches with 42-43mm lug to lug

Will do, didn't notice, any ideas?

Reminder

Attached: 1540473245873.png (960x720, 1.05M)

My automatic watch seems to have gunk in it, wat do?

Attached: 1495066899323.webm (1280x720, 1.15M)

Seagull 1963 if you don't have it already

Attached: SEAGULL_1963_Face2-1.jpg (2000x1333, 745K)

Merci LMM-01 Mechanical

Attached: emmanuel-macron.jpg (512x341, 156K)

Do you just refresh Jow Forums every 10 minutes waiting for watch threads so you can post your (probably fake) Rolex and 12 year old girl beads? Just curious.

Fuck Switzerland

Attached: 1534901621173.jpg (3848x3392, 1.26M)

Looks like I've ordered a wrong battery for my King Quartz. It apparently needs sr926sw but I bought a more common sr927sw. I wonder if they are interchangeable.

t. poorfag

What is the best quartz movement? I want something that keeps time down to +-1 second per year. What is the most accurate and reliable mechanical movement that isnt thousands of dollars?

Wait for citizen's 0100 movement to show up in a wristwatch

Does anyone know where I can get a decent quality NATO strap in Australia? What's the difference between a high quality and low quality NATO strap anyway?

link the discord

Thought I lost this forever! Left it in a luggage pocket four years ago, but that luggage went with me on all my trips so the watch I thought was gone forever was with me the whole time.

Attached: _20190218_023434.jpg (2746x3729, 1.06M)

So I've been looking for a cheap retro looking watch that isn't the F91W. Any recommendations? Being waterproof would be quite a plus.

If you're looking for digital watches, I'm quite partial to DW5600s

If you're going for analog, check out HMT watches on ebay, they're pajeetshit but they have a nice clean look to them and are generally reliable

Attached: dw5600.jpg (194x259, 11K)

DW5600E maybe?

It always bugs me how that's actually a Swiss quartz movement on the right.

they're 30 year old unserviced movements and they're completely fake (repainted dial, relumed, case polished to an insane degree)

they're shit. anyone buying those poo watches is fucking braindead

Attached: actual HMT Pilot.jpg (4032x3024, 2.05M)

what's the thinkpad of watch?

If you want a cheap vintage-looking watch, them's the sticks.

It's either that or join the boctok club

>£25 Raketa Big Zero
>£20 poljot
>£35 HMT Pilot

you don't HAVE to buy trash

Attached: IMG_20190126_000945818.jpg (4032x3024, 2.8M)

Why would a solar watch need "winding" I don't get it

Occasionally you can find some that have been serviced somewhat recently and not fucked with too badly, it's rather easy to spot a bad shitting street special, they are clearly overpolished and impossibly clean for their age or have gaudy replacement dials with bad painting. Others are obviously more worn but largely unmodified, those are the ones that are OK to buy but they will probably crap out on you eventually. Often they are so overpolished that crowns lose their guards and gold plating is destroyed, rivets are sanded away, etc. Sometimes this is because the seller is a scam artist, but sometimes it's because the watch lived a truly hard life and somehow still functions. I have a poo-in-loo Seiko 5 this way with a pattern of deep, polished scratches laying diagonally across its crystal as if it was scraped across pavement and then buffed back to legibility. I often wonder if the previous owner might have died wearing it.

Rather than an HMT, if you are dead set on getting a cheap pooed-on watch, find a Ricoh 9. They are easier to find unmodified, and they have a pretty durable automatic movement that stacks up well to Seiko 5s of the time, but offers handwinding and a quickset date. If you are lucky you can get Japanese models for similar price as the Indian models, many sellers don't know the difference, but the red chrysanthemum emblem on Mumbai Ricoh casebacks and faces indicates their export status, while Japanese Ricohs usually have the R symbol or an eagle. I got two that happened to be JDM from a US seller for about $30. I had to frankenstein them to make a fully-operable watch but it turned out nicely.

The downside is that they're all pretty gaudy, being of the '70s and trying to outflash Seiko and Citizen on a budget. Ricoh went fully quartz in the '80s so these are the last automatics the company ever made.

Attached: IMG_0231.jpg (3072x2304, 692K)

Underrated. Nice guide friend.

Seiko Anadigi
you are going to pay a premium on anything vintage thanks to nostalgia culture, but there are always ways around the hype tax. Don't be afraid to buy some broken stuff and build the watch you want, they're not that difficult to work with if you are only swapping major assemblies.

Attached: IMG_0348.jpg (3072x2304, 1.14M)

John, are you still alive?

Interesting point. Wouldn't broken watches inevitably have broken movements? Not sure you could build a watch from that without years of training.

Everything is either weeb garbage or luxury that only successful doctors/businessmen can afford. Who can actually responsibly afford a Cartier Tank? Your only alternative is a $100 Seiko.

You can get slavic garbage with a vostok :^)

well, you might find a watch with a good movement but a damaged case, and a watch with a damaged movement but a good case (or either or both). The movements and cases and bezels of particular series are often interchangeable, though obviously one cannot swap movements between watches with totally different movements, you kinda have to stick to the same series of pieces. The movement and face and hands usually come out of the watch as a single assembly and you don't have to go much further than that unless you have to clean things, and that might be best left to a pro.

This Seiko was made using two damaged H557-movement watches. One was utterly thrashed and rusted from the inside-out, the other was a much classier H557 variant with a nonfunctional LCD. I took apart the electronic portion of the working movement only to clean the LCD contacts and restore function. It only required watchmaker's screwdrivers, rubbing alcohol, and almost no special expertise at all.
I had never done this before in my life but, I think if it was made by humans it is always possible to understand. If you know how to turn a screwdriver you can probably do a movement swap on a Japanese watch with minimal effort. The only issue is that shit is tiny and a wrong slip of a screwdriver can break things easily. I got the original movement working again, but then slipped putting a screw in and hit the coil. Dead watch. Don't do that.

Sadly, despite my efforts to seal the caseback with things that are very much not gaskets, it got moist and has since died again, so I'm on the lookout for another H557 to suck the life force from to keep this glorious piece of shit running.

Attached: IMG_0083.jpg (2501x2001, 1.35M)

I'm not the guy who was asking. I just spent a while on ebay trying to find a real HMT Pilot so i know them inside and out

for you

Something I found on ebay lol.

Attached: imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-8yJmBjq7YuU4M.jpg (2048x2115, 637K)

That actually sounds like a pretty interesting hobby. Are there any sort of beginners guides into this kind of stuff to deep my feet into?

I just lurked /wt/ and bought some cheap tools from harbor freight, honestly. At bare minimum you need a caseback wrench or spudger, a springbar remover, and a set of screwdrivers. That will get you in nearly any watch. Once the back is removed usually the only thing holding the movement in is the windyknob, and at least on Seikos you'll find the release button for the crown is indicated. After you get that out you can just turn the case backside-down onto a soft surface and the movement falls out. Drop your replacement in, make sure it's all lining up right, put the crown back in, then put the caseback and straps on and enjoy your custom timepiece.

I know you probably want some reading material but honestly this is one of those things where the best and cheapest way to learn is just to try it.

Not him but it's fairly easy to find the technical guide in a pdf if the digital watch is by a known brand like seiko or casio. It'll have a diagram like this for how the module is assembled, and other useful diagrams like the relationship between the output terminal and the lcd for figuring out something like missing display segments. Then it'll also have a guide for fixing common issues, but that's getting more technical as it'll require a multimeter.
But disassembling, cleaning and reassembling a digital watch module is much easier than a mechanical movement, it's a bit fiddly but if you're patient and methodical it's almost impossible to fuck up, though you might not fix the module from just cleaning it, and that's when it becomes more technical.
It's probably best to start by doing something like a battery change in an f91w, you have to take the module apart to get to the battery and you'll learn a lot just from that simple procedure.

Attached: Screenshot_20190218-100107_Nova_Launcher_1.png (1080x1751, 282K)

Come to think of it, I've actually replaced the battery in a G-Shock before. Getting all the cushioning and spacers back in order was a bit of a hot mess, but it came together well enough.

This smart strap thing is picking up steam. mite b cool

did he just take a shitty watch and remove the face or something? then try to sell it for more?

Digital modules seemed so fragile when I first started messing around with them but it's pretty amazing how durable they are, the only thing you can feasibly fuck up is the lcd if you somehow crack it or if the module's particularly old then the plastic can be a little bit brittle sometimes. But the rest is mostly just unscrewing and unclipping stuff.

what do you guys think about this?
chooseblocks.com/
looks like it could be cool, I hope the OS isn't too restrictive though.

Looks fucking retarded. What feature could they possibly put in a bracelet link that couldn't have been a feature of the watch in the first place

Attached: s-l1600.jpg (1600x1066, 185K)

>quartz
This is the only thing that does it if you ignore adjusted time.
>reliable
Anything that isn't Slavic or chink
>accurate
Almost anything if you learn to regulate it yourself.

Also, most movements are somewhere between $20-200

Attached: 4L_irZXPr3i.jpg (3456x2304, 1.44M)

A dick and balls for a logo, what a joke

Not big enough for you?

For me, it's /croc-grain calf/ but proper leather.

Attached: CROCGRAINCALF.jpg (2286x4291, 3.56M)

Boy am I glad I fell out of my watch obsession, I got a cheap Visodate in silver and it's all I'll need since I won't be hanging around rich oldfags ever. I was gonna blow a ton on a dozen watches for no reason, the Visodate is versatile enough for any occasion.

The quality

Low-quality $1 chink natos are softer and comfier, because they don't try to be this super-durable mil-spec operator heavy-grade nylon fabric abominations.

Sure they don't last long but for $10 you'll have straps for 5-10 years.

I like this one a lot, nice find

Did he take it from his sofa?

How do I know if my watch is on too tight?

Attached: 0E0FD3E7-0313-4A78-843C-132C681F6FAE.jpg (4032x3024, 2.58M)

When it feels too tight.

penisquartz best quartz

Attached: IMG_0489.jpg (3072x2304, 1.02M)

>not having penii

Attached: IMG_20181014_140943_1.jpg (1882x3154, 636K)

This is great, I learned a lot.

I have the same problem w/ around 6.5" wrists. Pic related is a vostoc amphibian classic 960 which might fit the bill.

Actual pic related

Attached: Vostok-960-Case-Size-480x480.png (480x480, 40K)

Some people have actual jobs and work in professional settings where it would be rude or childish to do so. A quick glance at the wrist is easy and goes unnoticed

Only subhuman millennials reach for a phone when it isn't ringing

Attached: 4L_u4Sik9Hp.jpg (3072x2304, 1.1M)

It's an Invicta. Being on your wrist is too tight. Take a hammer to it immediately and learn about watch brands that aren't laughing stocks in the industry.

Should be a staple of every collection. There's a sapphire option too but it changes the profile of the watch a lot (for the worse).

Even in normieshit retail work, having a watch makes you look punctual and organized. Taking your phone out to look at it, even to tell the time, makes you look like you're screwing off and checking tinder or some shit.
I fix computers at Office Depot. It doesn't pay well so I just have a bunch of cheap stuff, but all my customers wear watches and I get different attitudes from them when I wear one too.

I love my Type II.

Attached: IMG_0366.jpg (2426x2302, 958K)

need you to really focus on getting your DMS numbers up, user

Tomorrow I might look into this. The whole auto-winding complication is definitely unusual.

Attached: 20190218_111025_HDR.jpg (4160x2340, 3.25M)

Heh, I'm the one who installs all the corporate spyware because our top salesman can't figure out how to turn a Dell laptop's trackpad back on, but he gets the DMS sold, I do the legwork.

Attached: IMG_0232.jpg (3072x2304, 2.28M)

Post about it, I'm interested to know, mate.

I will once I get to it, but customer's shitters come first.

It definitely has some issues though. So far I only peeked into it, and one unusual thing I noticed is that the mainspring barrel arbor screw may be left-threaded. Or it's just the threads completely worn out.

The whole movement looks weird to me and my very basic knowledge, so it'll be interesting to know what does what.

Windyknob come back

;_;

I think the idea is that you can swap them out, and they had plans to allow other developers to make blocks so you could make it real custom.

Attached: IMG_20190218_193227.jpg (4160x3120, 3.41M)

It both looks like it's to tight but also 2 lose that's why you have it bellow the wrist :/