Speakers: Homepod Alternative

Ignoring brand bias, are there any single speaker products which outperform the Homepod at $280? Its circular shape is said to eliminate the sweet spot effect of bookshelf speakers. I don't care what brand it is.

Attached: homepod.jpg (225x225, 8K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Pioneer-SP-BS22-LR-Designed-Bookshelf-Loudspeakers/dp/B008NCD2LG
audioengineusa.com/shop/poweredspeakers/a2-plus-desktop-speakers/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Not that impressive of a speaker and botnet, Harman kardan makes some that are okay at that price point, same for klipsch, or for similar sound quality for cheaper see JBL

Attached: 20190113_120454.jpg (640x403, 134K)

>Not that impressive of a speaker
It's pretty good because of the way the woofer and tweeters are arranged; the smaller speakers obviously face all directions and it uses some kind of feedback system to attenuate the bass depending on where it is in your trendy industrial hipster fag apartment. I'm actually not sure if I can do better for $280, except for a pair of bookshelves, which are somewhat better but aren't really comparable to a single speaker setup if I want to move about the cabin

You do you, there are much better ones out there but if you're sold on apple go for it.

>You do you, there are much better ones out there but if you're sold on apple go for it.
Do you have any specific suggestions, especially single speakers? I've narrowed it down to a few options, but in the $300 range, I'm also looking at these:

amazon.com/Pioneer-SP-BS22-LR-Designed-Bookshelf-Loudspeakers/dp/B008NCD2LG

As well as a DAC/whatever kit is needed to make them sound nice. I'll probably also need an Airport Express ($50) for Airplay 2, total cost is right on par with the Homepod overall, for better sound, but I like the simplicity of the single all-in-one speaker.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Have you tried an echo dot v2? They’re pretty good for the cash money

They're not really comparable unfortunately. They're okay for cheap kitchen devices but the sound quality isn't at all in the same category. They're more for utility than music listening

>Have you tried an echo dot v2? They’re pretty good for the cash money
what about the v3

>what about the v3
It's shit.

No. None of these fags will be able to find a better sounding alternative. Just get the HomePod.

>No. None of these fags will be able to find a better sounding alternative. Just get the HomePod.
k thanks

bose home speaker 500. sounds way better, but it's out of your budget.

>bose home speaker 500. sounds way better, but it's out of your budget.
it looks like absolute ass but I'll consider it, are there any definitive comparisons with frequency response and such?

A pair or Sonos Ones will sound better and cost less.

Attached: iu.jpg (1000x1000, 166K)

thanks ill check em out

seems to have worse sound quality according to reviews

How do these things cope with stereo imaging? I mean I presume there is none since it's essentially a point source but that alone has always put me off them vs a decent pair of bookshelf speakers, before you even get to the whole botnet thing

Check out Kali Audio

it's a mono speaker.

UE megaboom I think is the best imo.

>bluetooth waterproof
I think this is a different product entirely

so they sum both channels into one I guess. Fuck's sake. Oh well, given that the target audience probably consider listening to phat beatz on a phone speaker acceptable I suppose that's fine.

isn't that how literally all single speakers work?

yes, but given that these speakers put such an emphasis on their sound quality I'd have thought that they would have come up with some ingenious solution to avoid summing everything to mono, like offsetting the drivers and fucking with the phase or something to give a pseudo-stereo effect. Granted, when a song is mixed the engineer routinely checks it in mono to make sure there are no phase issues and it is thus compatible with lowest common denominator playback devices but fuck spending multiple hundreds on something that takes a CD-quality recording and turns it into mono

Ohh, I didn't think smart speakers. Sorry!

Even if it wasn't summed mono then it's pointless having stereo with the drivers right next to each other, it'd essentially be the same. I doubt anyone would use these for serious listening so mono is fine.

I make portable loudspeakers for a living and they're mono until paired with another - I can imagine these are the same.

nothing compares OP :^)

Attached: 20190218_175903059_iOS.jpg (2508x2964, 1.72M)

audioengineusa.com/shop/poweredspeakers/a2-plus-desktop-speakers/

If you want a compute speaker, most homepod thing are for put in liveroom or as sound system, from pure audio quality this audioengine are way better

>I make portable loudspeakers for a living and they're mono until paired with another - I can imagine these are the same.
that sounds reasonable, I imagine that's how these work. I completely understand the use case for portable bluetooth speakers etc and own a few, but I've never understood people who spend thousands filling their houses with Sonos gear and the like when they could just have bought a decent HiFi, but I suppose it's convenience over quality

>If you want a compute speaker, most homepod thing are for put in liveroom or as sound system

Attached: 1547676451437.jpg (300x300, 13K)

>nothing compares OP :^)
meh fuck it, gonna go pick one up from Best Buy :^)

Thanks for the suggestion

Hmm, bit quiet desu

Nvm, was just the audio source
sageru