Ctards get on your knees

Daily reminder C is the lowest common denominator of any respectable language. It's obsolete and no one, not even C compilers use C anymore.

> OOP BAD FREE FUNCTION GOOD
> Lambda bad but void *(*f[])())() is good
> DRY is considered harmful
> Templates bad, void * good (*update 2011*: Templates bad _Generics good)
> There's no such things as CTFE
> Exception bad, setjmp good
> Optional type bad, allocating resources to emulate it is good
> Unicode bad, strings are considered harmful
> Standard build system considered harmful
> modules bad, #pragma once good
> Anything that overflows your primitive brain's capacity is called bloat/useless abstraction
> Pretend your machine is PDP-11, C is literally logic gates in texts

C is not even useful, can't perform basic string operations without a 3rd party library (ICU)

Attached: 1537771566378.png (1200x1400, 502K)

Other urls found in this thread:

yodaiken.com/2018/06/07/torvalds-on-aliasing/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C_(programming_language)
cs.kent.ac.uk/people/staff/srk21//research/papers/kell17some-preprint.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

*yawn*

wake up, boomer

C is dying and it should die ASAP. C programmers are actually retards in general. C is a small language to grasp, exactly the kind of shit that makes things retard friendly.
C has no advanced features like C++ does.

But as a newfag you are kinda in the right direction. C is for newbies. Think of it this way:
During ancient times, counting to 10 was a big deal and a person who could count to 10 was considered to be "wise".

Fast forward a few century counting to 10 is so trivial we teach this to toddlers. Now toddlers appreciate the vast "knowledge" of counting to 10 while matured brains are busy with modern technologies.

C is from stone age and the people who still preach it is like overgrown toddlers that can't learn advanced things. C is for lesser programmers.
C doesn't have delegates
C doesn't have resizable arrays
C doesn't have strings
C doesn't have string concatenation
C doesn't have namespaces
C doesn't have exception handling
C doesn't have closures in the standard
C doesn't have unit tests
C doesn't have Function overloading
C doesn't have memory safety of any kind
C doesn't prevent memory exploits and has no bounds and runtime checks
C doesn't support dynamic method loading/creating
C doesn't even have generics and templates
C doesn't have meta programming
C doesn't have mixins
C doesn't have higher order functions
C doesn't have contract programming
C doesn't have inner classes
C doesn't have function literals
C doesn't have array slicing
C has a very limited support for implicit parallelism
C doesn't even have string switches

C is a cancer that plagues the modern software industry. If you want guaranteed memory exploits and security vulnerabilities in your program with timesink development period then use ASM, not C.

Attached: Screenshot_2019-02-18 g - Technology ยป Thread #61630204.png (750x1092, 50K)

>C doesn't have strings
char*

Huh? Fucking parrots. Let me sleep

Based.
C shouldn't be used anymore.
Do you Clets _really_ want web developers to start new projects in C? Think carefully about what you wish for.

I'd prefer if web developers switched to a language like Haskell, where they can fuck up less.

C is used even though it has huge flaws and misdesigns precisely because it's extremely unproductive and badly designed. C is unproductive, so C programs need more programmers, so there are more C programmers and a bigger demand for them. C is incompatible with any language with real arrays and strings, so if you want to be compatible, you either have to convert all your data types each way or stick with C. C sucks so much that techniques used on systems like Multics and VMS to allow programs written in different languages to work together won't work with C because of array decay and null-terminated strings.

The bad design also means C (and other UNIX languages that inherited this brain damage) are more complicated, which is why there are so many "graduates" that only know one language when it used to be common to learn several different languages. The standard is also much longer even though C has fewer features. The language is harder to compile efficiently, which is why compilers are so bloated. The C standard itself is so poorly written and ill-defined that the standards committee could not add a single feature between 2011 and 2018 (besides increasing the version number) because they spent all that time fixing bugs in the standard itself.

Another reason is the huge revisionism campaign started by AT&T shills in the 80s, which is why there are people out there who believe C was the first high-level language used to write an operating system and other bullshit. There are even some weenies out there who said OOP came from C and C++

>Haskell
Reminder that FP is for people who don't have the cognitive abilities to understand the notion of program state.

>this kill the tranny hipster

Attached: 65454545.png (1657x638, 1.28M)

Yes.... Haskell.

Attached: haskell.png (225x321, 12K)

All those threads against C.
Rust fags are becoming inteligent.

Why not elm?

>brainlet that never written a single program in Haskell
First learn the tools before you criticize it. I've written a lot of programs and tools in both C and C++, but also quite a few in functional languages such as Haskell.
Your post reeks of inexperience.
Let me guess, you got stuck learning monads and then said "this is too hard, I better go back to C".

Rent free.

It's the functional language I have the most experience in, so I used it as an example. Functional languages in general are a very suitable alternative, though it largely depends on the language.

>tries imperative programming
>"this is too hard, I better use something without program states"

Attached: boomer.png (376x349, 56K)

>tries
I have more than two decades of experience in imperative programming, what about you?
>Haskell has no state.
You clearly can not be reasoned with, because you never used Haskell or any other functional language past hello world.

Daily reminder to kys OP no one cares about your shitty opinion stop the spam

Why are Haskell fags seething so much when they're reminded they can't do "x = 5" when x already exists?

Attached: that 30-year-old boomer.jpg (234x215, 9K)

That's a byte array.

Pretty much only Foss crap is really c as far as I can see and not c++. All the modern c compilers are even c++.

> You clearly can not be reasoned with
M8, he's arguing using boomer memes. So that would be obvious.

yodaiken.com/2018/06/07/torvalds-on-aliasing/
Daily reminder it's impossible to use C correctly, even Linus doesn't understand the standard and advocates for ignoring it, basically inviting UBs and subtle bugs:
> Don't tell me "the C standard is unclear". The C standard is _clearly_ bogus shit (see above on strict aliasing rules), and when it is bogus garbage, it needs to be explicitly ignored
> The standard simply is not *important*, when it is in direct conflict with reality and reliable code generation.
> I've said this before, and I'll say it again: a standards paper is just so much toilet paper when it conflicts with reality. It has absolutely _zero_ relevance. In fact, I'll take real toilet paper over standards any day, because at least that way I won't have splinters and ink up my arse.
No, you can either support him, basically turning gcc with a set of the compiler options into the de-facto C standard, but then it's no better than other languages without a standard and you're a hostage of the horribly maintained project gcc is. Or you can argue against him, but then you have to somehow show that competent C programmers even exist, because the most famous C programmer in the world is clearly incompetent.

>everyone who dislikes c is a rustfag

Attached: lambdadelta.jpg (400x400, 32K)

>Daily reminder C is the lowest common denominator of any respectable language.
Real talk, most Ctards are unemployed NEETs that never held a real job in their lives. They talk about "simplicity" because their brainlet brains can't handle anything more complex than a bare bones struct. Not even hating on the C language itself. But those that unironically think it's the end all and be all need to quit programming entirely.

Attached: 1495116812604.jpg (750x911, 86K)

Because it is not true?
main :: IO ()
main = do
x

FP fanatics can be insufferable, because of preening over how much they know. But Ctards are the worst, because generally they are smug over what they don't know and refuse to learn.

"Fixing" security issues in software written in C is merely treating the symptoms, while deliberately ignoring the cause.

C is simply the wrong language to use for safety critical software.

>inb4 whatwouldyouusethenfaggot
Ada first of all, hell, almost every higher-level language is safer than C.

>inb4 hurrdurryouusebabylanguagesbecauseyoucantprpgram
Using the wrong tools and making the job harder on yourself is not a virtue. Remembering the size of an array and remembering to place malloc and free in the right places offers zero advantage. People already realized this, that's why languages that don't require it existed before C was even created.

Instead of using languages that actually make writing safe software easy in the first place, we have been stuck using an absolutely horrid tool for this job, then acting surprised when an "exploit" is found.
In 100 years, hopefully they will laugh at us.

We already figured out that he's trolling, but yeah, we also have IORefs and monads that can alter state. The whole point is to separate that which is effectful and that which is pure.
Interesting way to put it and I agree, though functional language programmers are aware of the of the ivory tower and do self reflect if they aren't complete assholes.
>Ada
It's a good alternative and you don't have to be a so called "hipster" to like it, like many people say about Rust.

The paradigm case I had in mind is someone like Erik Naggum who comes across as deeply smitten with himself; though obviously having an extensive knowledge of lisp.

>C doesn't have delegates
>C doesn't have resizable arrays
>C doesn't have strings
>C doesn't have string concatenation
>C doesn't have namespaces
>C doesn't have exception handling
>C doesn't have closures in the standard
>C doesn't have unit tests
>C doesn't have Function overloading
>C doesn't have memory safety of any kind
>C doesn't prevent memory exploits and has no bounds and runtime checks
>C doesn't support dynamic method loading/creating
>C doesn't even have generics and templates
>C doesn't have meta programming
>C doesn't have mixins
>C doesn't have higher order functions
>C doesn't have contract programming
>C doesn't have inner classes
>C doesn't have function literals
>C doesn't have array slicing
>C has a very limited support for implicit parallelism
>C doesn't even have string switches
retarded pole knock in wall cose dont see the door
for em maked a hole

Hi Terry

Who gives a shit. Stop making these shitty threads. If you want to program in some other language, go ahead. No one is stopping you. Stop being a faggot about it.

StrausTrup story:
ST teach OOP
studens seay em permanently - OOp is shit i cando it in C easy but it still shit
ST feel youself useless
ST cath a student and ask em "ho to do it in c?"
then force em to make preprocessor to compile hes fantazy OOP langiage to legit C
all crazzy fantasies of em was forsed to release, but it was made in undestending it is useless crazy shit
so now we have C++ ans ST dont feel useless anymore, ST write book about C++ whit all hes crazzy ideas
later in C++ was added namespaces and C++ become useful (but not OOP related staff in it)

Is this a new pasta?

whats with all the anti-C shilling lately? did we hit a nerve rust trannyfags?

>we
Who?

Given all the anti-c faggots in these threads immediately jump to rewriting in Rust, it's more likely than you think.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C_(programming_language)
>The C language was invented in 1892 by French revolutionary Edward Teach in order to better align guillotine blades.
>C first saw widespread use in World War I, where it was used by the British in their new battle tanks. Tank crews often cited C's speed of execution when discussing their success on the battlefield.
>C was pivotal in the discovery of electricity in 1928 by renowned inventor Crispus Attucks.
>On December 25th, 2001, the Soviet Union collapsed following an "Exceptionally nasty" segfault.
C sounds pretty based, tbqfh.

kek

It's one nigger who thinks his post on r/programmingcirclejerk was so cool it has to be posted here every day.

this is now an anime thread
post anime

Attached: meme.jpg (1200x674, 102K)

>C doesn't have ANIME
Fucking DROPPED
CTARDS BTFO

Attached: 1547457210937.jpg (619x800, 155K)

seething

Attached: C qsort vs C++ std::sort.png (800x597, 50K)

C isn't going anywhere. I met some COBOL programmers a few weeks ago. We have dozens of FORTRAN programmers where I work.

All C programmers should be charged with attempted murder. C programs have killed more people than in any other language.

this: and this:

Not pure functional. Try again.

The things you're bitching about are the exact same things that give C it's speed. Sure you sacrifice some safety and convenience but if you're writing very computationally demanding code C is still an excellent option.

Attached: 1548121987121.jpg (293x326, 15K)

>void* gives C its speed
Why are Ctards so fucking clueless?

That is a char pointer. Not the same.

>give a carpenter some carpentry tools and supplies
>he builds a mansion
>give a guy who roleplays as a carpenter on the internet the same tools and supplies
>he builds a pile of shit
>IT'S THE TOOL'S FAULT

Attached: 1519546085449.jpg (572x303, 32K)

Tools are never perfect, that's why we make better tools

cool non sequitur

I'm only pointing out the flaw in your analogy.

>Ctrl + F errno
>0 occurrences
you faggots are full of shit

>not linking the actual mailing list
why do people do this?

based and Cpilled

Plot twist: C stands for Communism.

Are you seriously complaining that it's too minimal?
Fucking JavaScript people.

You think that there's a "best" everything that everyone should use. Double Digit IQ.

> C has no advanced features like
C++ does
More like, C has no RETARD features... LOL.

sent from my iPhone

I don't get why people get this salty over other people that they will never meet IRL using a language they personally don't like. If the other guy is competently producing code that is secure and only shows negligible differences in efficiency, why get mad?

Why would you use a lib for string functions, just write your own, you tard.

They are different algos bruh

>hurr OOP good
OOPis an abomination

And what would you suggest we use for embedded development?

I've got a few KB of RAM and a few hundred byte of EEPROM to deal with these devices, tf.

>WTF I HAVE TO USE A THIRD PARTY LIB FOR STRING MANIPULATION?!?!
This is your brain on cancer. And no, you make your own. It's fucking ridiculously easy to do. You CAN make your own library, can't you? Surely you're not some soifaced "coder" who thinks copy pasting some pajeets poo in api makes him an elite hacker.

pathetic meme argument

C is the ultimate pleb filter because it provides the building blocks that you put together to do what you want. It's not some meme zoomer language that does everything for you because it expects you to be a complete retard. I'm not giving you a (you) either.

Dude I got the best education there is. I went to the school of StackOverflow.

Yet people who shit on OOP end up writing OO-style procedural code for any nontrivial project.
dwm and Linux are prime examples of this.

>It's fucking ridiculously easy to do
I don't think you grasp how difficult strings are. It's not char*

I regularly program c/c++ code in assembly. Yes, I do grasp the concept fairly easily.

>Tx Ty
>float int
>int float

no

>I regularly program c/c++ code in assembly
What does it mean?
>Yes, I do grasp the concept fairly easily.
If that's the case you'd know how tedious to incorporate the concepts of code points and grapheme clusteres in a string library. No you don't.
The latest attempt (boost::text for C++) has been postponed due to the author has been working with and studying unicodes.

It means writing c/c++ code in assembly. The fact you don't understand this says a lot more about what you don't understand then what don't.
>b-but this one gu -
I don't give a fuck what some dirty OOPcuck can or can't do with his bloated programmatic bureaucracy.

How does one write C/C++ in assembly? Do you inline C/C++ in it? How so? Never heard of this before.

>It's another C bashing episode
Ah yes, my favourite, greetings from reddit and prepare to SEETHE

Based and redpilled

Does your char* understand graphemes? Better yet, do you understand graphemes? I don't think so, nu Ctards with their room temperature IQ can't fathom what unicode means.
>hipster argument
C's popularity has been declining since the late 90's, the only reason to cling to 80's obsolete garbage and pretend to be smart is ironically because you are a hipster yourself. You use C because of the retro feel, nothing else. Any serious programmers have moved to at least C++14.
Also
>muh tranny
rent free
Yes, it's not only minimal but also makes you reinvent the wheel for every program. Including libraries is also a pain because C ISO committee does not know what standard build system means
OOP is inherently better than unscallable clusterfuck of free functions. Which is why Ctards emulate OOP (see reinventing the wheel) for every project with their const struct of function pointer. Sad.
C++
C is a pleb filter because it keeps the low IQ plebs contained, because they can't think past int*. Everything useful is too abstract for them while they ironically sit on the crown of abstractions themselves. C is not logic gates.
Still waiting on your explanation. If you want to see what a proper string library looks like see ICU. I don't think your primitive brain is capable of understanding anything past char**
And no, using wchar doesn't make your code unicode aware. This should have been taught to you in CS101 but I digress.

This entire thread is just pasta spamming. Only a worthless twerp who graduated within the last decade sees anything wrong with C.

C is full of mistakes

Attached: C grugs.png (1200x699, 345K)

You are so retarded you cant even greentext correctly

>graphemes
>the smallest meaningful contrastive unit in a writing system
sounds like liberal bullshit to me

Good, you learned a new word today. Next time do more research before claiming to have a word of clue of what you are talking about. This is very typical among Ctard brainlets.

Also please explain

I'm no Ctard but why do OOPniggers use the "lol C is shit because retards don't know how to use it" when OOP suffers the same problem

C stands for CVE.

C stands for cancer

>C sucks so much that techniques used on systems like Multics and VMS to allow programs written in different languages to work together won't work with C because of array decay and null-terminated strings.

Source?

>C sucks
>Nothing else to replace it

C++

Python

Rust sucks too, it's a very fit replacement.

>Anno Domini 2019
>"People" still don't understand what a "right tool for the job" means

There's no job for which C would be the right tool tho.

Dear OP;

While it is true that making sense is optional, here on 4channel, I wish you'd tried.

based

The problem is that no one actually knows how to use it, even the best in the industry. See Yet they won't admit it.

read this then tell me C is useless
cs.kent.ac.uk/people/staff/srk21//research/papers/kell17some-preprint.pdf
Quite an interesting paper.

your daily fagGOt.
how much are the pajeets at google paying you?