My grandpa said this

My grandpa said this

>Grandson, I think you should look into another career than programming. I heard that these companies are outsourcing to India to pay them cheaper and it'll be hard for you to find work

Is my grandpa telling the truth? If so then what the hell should I learn when it comes with computers then?

Attached: 1549035512507.jpg (1432x1425, 165K)

They can't outsource to Indians if you're Indian

He's right that only knowing programming isn't going to make you very attractive in todays job market. Security on the other hand....

tell your grandpa he's right and go study arts or learn a trade

your grandpa is based and redpilled

If your grandpa's right then I'm pretty fucked. Why does everything I go into have no jobs?

Because third worlders will do it cheaper then you, cant even push trolleys anymore

Do it even more cheaper. What's the problem?

>be from a shitty third world country bleeding coders and engineers
man it feels comfy

Microsoft Office and get a real job.

Unless you like being paid in pennies then sure

You can't go cheaper than 2 coconuts user

If you are exceptionally skilled you should not have problem.
But question is why would you go to an industry that is dominated by feminazis and SJWs?

You will understand when you leave your parents house

One coconut, maybe?

I actually am a thirld worlder and I left my parents house long time ago.

How will you survive off one coconut when rent and utilities take 1.5 coconuts?

yeah but they're not very good so they end up actually creating more work

Cost of living must be cheap over there, here in aus everything is retardly expensive

Just do like all the people around you do. Take a second job.

Or live the welfare life style and have other people give you their coconuts, 30 yr neet here never worked a day in my life, cheap rent cheap medical care and i even saved up enough to buy a 2080ti
Lifes good when you refuse the rat race

$150/month is enough for me to pay utility bills and buy some inexpensive groceries. On the other hand, many people around me whine that $700/month is not enough for the simple survival. It's a question of priorities, I guess.

>Lifes good when you refuse the rat race
Where I live we do not have such a thing as welfare, but I can totally affirm that statement.

pasted

Database, they trust locals more than poos. If you can do physical work, get into train engines and electrical. Worst case.. plumbing and electrical. Pick shit that HAS to be locally or on site.

>ignoring rent, transportation, phone, internet
>having no electricity/heating bill
>no external costs such as health, clothes, etc.
How to spot the underageb&.jpg

Just do the needful

Your granpa is right, althought it's not about the Indians. GTFO of brogramming, it will only serve you until 30, and then you are essentially unemployable in addition to old.
t. already at that stage.

HOL UP

Attached: India2020.jpg (480x360, 16K)

>study arts

Attached: 1AE6BAB82EB846E88DC1D9A22DE10F86.jpg (540x720, 105K)

He's right. That's why I'm going into finance + data analytics.

He's right. I was going in to tech at first. Then I saw that my classes were almost all foreigners. The tech industry is already outsourced. Colleges and unis are just milking what they can before the IT trend dies.

I don't think you know what outsourcing means.
You just experienced a bunch of Asians doing better than you in school

Lol wut. I did fine. I often was ahead of the rest.
But there was so many. They come to school for a few years and if they dont stay they go back, and take jobs with them.
Also not asians, it was actually mostly arabs.

Please do the needful and approve H1B visa

currently in a maritime school to be a engineer officer on a ship.

i hate this lifestyle and am learning to code. feel like shit cause im 22 and couldve learned it like 10 years ago if i didnt spend all my time on video games.

anyways am i better off going for CS (and enjoying it) or being miserable till im like 35 and then enjoy all thr money and pursuing what i like

Damn are you for real? Im 22 as well and i was just asking a dude on another board about what life is like on a ship, as I was curious.
I have a useless college degree and my life is going nowhere so im open to anything at this point.

Well he is sort of right, a lot of development gets outsourced. Entry level is really fucked.

based and redpilled

At this point if you're living in America, you might just give up programming as a career and do it as a hobby, or maybe come up with your own company. Everything is being outsourced, sub-par technology is being produced because money and version number is what matters most (see Firefox).

They can work for less because their cost of living is less than here.

Attached: chucksm.jpg (600x600, 170K)

i think the main downside is being away from your loved ones, really.

to me theres that and also the fact that i grew to hate machinery and being oil smeared all the time. i got in it for the money which is good but now i have this dilema.

i think you need to have a specific kind of personality to be a seafarer but theres also some good rewards.

what did you major in, btw?

Not him, but what kind of money are we talking?

Because fears about automation and outsourcing and immigrants and women undercutting the job market are already upon us. It wasn't an instant death blow, but the first world already has more people than can find meaningful work. I went to college and plenty of my classmates, who were plenty smart enough to find meaningful work, even three years later, haven't found decent full time gigs.

Don't play whack-a-mole with trying to get the best salary; I have some basic programming experience and a biology degree and work in a government lab for decent pay. My sister is a geologist who has a full-time job at an engineering firm. We both live comfortably. My advice to you is this: yes, "doing what you love" is a lie told by boomers, but at the same time, the job market is constantly shifting and it's hard, if not impossible, to tailor a skill set that will have employers wanting to suck your dick to hire you. Pick a decent career field, any decent career field (engineering, science, business, the military, management, whatever) and stick with it for at least five years. If you make a serious effort to beat out the competition, finding a job that pays a livable salary is actually fairly easy. Most new grads give up too easy. I am quite serious when I say that anyone, with any college degree, an break $50k after five years on the job market, which is more than enough to live off of as a single guy in any first world country.

What you SHOULDN'T do, is jump between careers paths every time the future in a given field looks bleak. You start over at square one every time you do this. If you've learned to program, stick with it a while later user. The market for brogrammers was almost too good to be true for a few years in the late 2000s, but now everyone is on that bandwagon, and feminists have pressured young women to try and cut into that job market. However, there are still plenty of decent development jobs to be had, so don't fret. Shoot for ikigai.

Attached: 1_RlnrX4g_bd9BeaM_aZ5sVg.jpg (1600x1512, 195K)

But yeah, the point is that jobs are out there, but stop looking for the perfect career. It doesn't exist and nothing is easy.

I dont have much close family here in the states anyway, and my relationship with my parents is a bit frayed, so I dont really have anything holding me back.
I majored in criminal justice, just an associats degree. Wanted to become a police officer but the pickings are slim and its very competitive. Bachelors and veterans get first pick everytime, and theres no shortage of either.

Also seconding this guy Whats the money like? Also how does one get into your field? I live in the midwest so I know dick about seafaring.

Your grandpa browses Jow Forums.

I literally dropped out of studying Philosophy just because I wanted to get a job as a programmer. At this point, I'm willing to move to India, learn Hindi, and get paid Indian minimum wage just for the sake of having an indoors job.

It's not just poos. The software corps have been aggressively pushing the idea that everyone should learn to code, so there are many more potential domestic programmers than there was a few decades ago, so it makes labor less valuable.

Not only is that true, but companies actively defer jobs to greencard/visa caring people. The only job you can hope to get are government jobs, if you can pass the background checks.

dude this meme has been in Jow Forums for years of course it's true.
Nobody here but kode monkeys actually go into a "programming" (kode) career.
Look into which careers actually get money, they are related but they are not the same. Just koding is doing whatever the project tells you or rewriting shit.

less than 1 year left.

Be a developer, not a programmer. Skilled people who can find a way to set themselves apart are in high demand. Those struggling to move past the entry level are no better than the Indians that try to replace them.

> My grandpa said this
No, he didn't.