/gentoo/ best linux distro general

Gentoo masterrace thread. Talk about the best distro there is. Show off your desktop, discuss wms. Show what you're working on.

Attached: 1548973449837.png (180x180, 16K)

Other urls found in this thread:

cdn.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v4.x/linux-4.18.tar.xz'
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Kernel/Upgrade#Copy_previous_kernel_configuration
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Show off your desktop
like this?

Attached: 2019-02-17-192826_1366x768_scrot.png (1366x768, 3.01M)

i love compiling and python

what're some big important things that gentoo runs on? i've heard wallstreet's infrastructure runs on gentoo

>cervidae
comrade

Attached: 1543964270489.png (431x332, 262K)

It took me so many hours to finally get Gentoo working on my new desktop.

Next step is PCI passthrough.

How long does it take you guys to compile the kernel? it takes me 4.5 minutes, roughly.

Chromium takes like 3 hours.

y..yo

Attached: 2019-02-18-011135_1366x768_scrot.png (1366x768, 3.01M)

>4.5 minutes for kernel
>3 hours for chromium
i know i don't have the fastest laptop in the world but please tell me you're joking

Attached: 1547813153312.jpg (1280x720, 91K)

>Talk about the best distro there is.
Not anymore. GuixSD looks very promising. I'm considering switching to it after a decade on Gentoo.

I am not lying. I've not properly timed the Chromium (actually, ungoogled-chromium) compilation, but the kernel comes out to like 4:30~ish. I've just got a beast of a computer.

hi

Attached: 1550437672815.png (1280x800, 39K)

fucking hell.. kernel takes me about least 30 minutes and i think the last time i installed chromium it took like .. 16 fucking hours or something

I hadn't built a new computer in like 10 years, so I decided to get top-of-the-line parts (mostly).

Here's what makes it go so fast:

Intel i9-9900K
Samsung Evo 970 NVMe M.2 SSD
32GB DDR4-3200 RAM

You could argue that this is overkill, but it should last me another 10 years, especially with Gentoo and a tiling WM.

You should compile chromium with USE=jumbo-build as you have the RAM for it. Reduces build time to 1h30min on my i7-7700.

Hope you're not using your SSD for the portage build dir.

I was, but not for long fortunately. I have it mounted into a tmpfs now.

Cheers! That will be really useful.

you can use genlop to check how long did some ebuild take to install. 40m for qtwebengine (basically just a degoogled chromium inside a qt api wrapping) and 2m for the kernel here.

WHat's your secret, user?

Doesn't even mater that much. It'll be a long ass time before sauce compiles write 10k or 100k times.

2m for the kernel also can mean you are just extracting the sauce code.

just to add, kernel version and used config makes a big difference in compile time so if you want to compare and benchmark different systems then use a specific version and a config to do that. results on openbenchmarking for example are done with 4.18.0 and defconfig. i.e to test it yourself
wget 'cdn.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v4.x/linux-4.18.tar.xz'
tar xvf linux-4.18.tar.xz && cd linux-4.18 && make defconfig
time make -jX
swap X for your threadcount. 1m38.619s on my system

overclocked ryzen 7

with genlop that would be what it shows for kernels, but that 2min is from a time'd make

Is there a way to extract config settings for a compiled kernel?
I made a series of kernel changes without recompiling and one of them fucked up my system and Id rather not trail through finding all the options and drivers my laptop needs again.
Its my fault for not keeping a log of that or just using genkernel, but y´know

>genlop to check how long did some ebuild take to install.
>how long did some ebuild

Attached: mentally-challenged-indian.jpg (250x250, 26K)

Oh yeah, that's a good idea. I'll get round to doing that at some point.

>It'll be a long ass time before sauce compiles write 10k or 100k times.
Not that long, considering the minimal erasable block size for the modern SSD around one megabyte.

Any st users here? Is there a way to patch st so that
printf "\e]20;/image.png;\a"
can print out an image like in urxvt? I was using this to display album cover art in ncmpcpp, but maybe there's a better way of doing it in st.

wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Kernel/Upgrade#Copy_previous_kernel_configuration

Just install Emacs already.

This only works if you havent recompiled since though

no desktop
just terminal

As long as GuixSD makes it unnecessarily hard to install working firmware, it can't beat Gentoo in terms of practicality.

Procfs is for the running kernel, it works on that regardless what you compiled meanwhile.

You should additionally have a decent history of well-functioning kernels if you used genkernel.

What font?

Attached: 1535063812024.png (530x503, 450K)

Not that user, but I've done it for years and all my ssds are still above 97% write cycle life remaining. Modern ssds are pretty good at avoiding write amplification, you don't really need to take care of them.

Hi everybody, what do you think the advantages of gentoo over slackware are? Can't decide between the two

Install Gentoo!!!

That's useful

Something like 76 minutes for kernel on my Core 2 Duo.
10 hours for firefox.

SF Mono Bold. Its the macOS font, but bold. You can download the .otf from some github repo.

Gentoo has a very powerful package manager, Slackware has a far more basic one.

You are more likely to prefer Gentoo's approach.

Like , I really couldn't observe any terrible SSD usage. And that wasn't even on f2fs or anything specialized, just some ext4/xfs/btrfs.

I don't think you have much to fear from running portage off a SSD.

How should I config Virtualbox to install gentoo on a VM?

Either way doesn't really hurt putting it on a tmpfs if you have the RAM to spare.

As long as guixsd doesn't allow fde, it's a honeypot.

Slackware has no dependency resolutions. Slackware shills claim otherwise because there are tools like slapt-get that look for optional files in a repo for metadata to use for dependency resolution, but no repo actually has that metadata so it doesn't actually work.

First time falling for the meme and has been way better than expected desu. Not really a gentoo question, but does anyone know how to configure polybar so that the icons are basically static? For example when cpu usage goes from 0% to 100% it moves everything to the left 2 spaces. The format-* fields all seem to add a fixed amount of space which doesn't really solve my problem. pic related

Attached: gentoo.png (1280x800, 545K)

>GuixSD
>GNU trash
Disregarded.

>oracle trash hypervisor

love compiling?

You sick fuck.

Attached: 1543411043253.jpg (600x1005, 128K)

Pretty new install, I still need to work more on my i3status but I'm happy with it so far.

Attached: yellow.png (2966x900, 1.21M)

>spinny boi disk
>mount portage build dir on a tmpfs
>shit takes longer to build
...what

i have gentoo on my laptop and have set acpi to run echo mem > /sys/power/state [\code] on lid but every so often my pc will lock up with no errors in logs (that i know of). The only thing ive found online is "fixed in kernel" but its not. Do any of you anons know a way to fix this?

A bunch of stuff at CERN.

NASA used Gentoo extensively during the space shuttle missions to squeeze out every last bit of power-efficiency they could.

>i've heard wallstreet's infrastructure runs on gentoo
Lel no, big businesses use special fault tolerant mainframes by IBM or HP. Linux is mainly used in smaller applications like web servers and for research purposes (supercomputers)

Attached: unknown-10.png (1920x1080, 823K)

Give me reasons to use this when it takes hours or days to compile GTK

Gentoo isnt for everyone. Perhaps you should try linux mint

it's the last step to archive maximum autism.

Actually linux from scratch might be that

Linux mint is for those who value their time compared to gentoo who are unemployed and need some reason to validate their existence.

>Give me reasons to use this when it takes hours or days to compile GTK
Eh, it doesn't:
q lop -t "x11-libs/gtk+"
gtk+: 236 seconds average for 12 merges
Four minutes. You're being way too dramatic. This is on a low end Ryzen 2400g and with -Ofast compiles and other stuff running at all times.

I'm gonna need that wallpaper...

That one is a Humboldt, not a Gentoo.

Attached: b3f1445af639972e0f80df56422e4bb01f57bd7db8720401cb91cbf914305000.png (1796x1480, 919K)

Wrong my wallpaper is a gentoo penguin. Humboldts have balloon heads and white black thick beaks

Apparently I didn't wrestle enough penguins and anime girls. Thanks for the correction.

>wrestle anime girls
Are You trying to make me depressed user?

Attached: 2UEk3QZ.jpg (527x612, 19K)

Does anyone else have an issue with NetworkManager causing the rest of the system being really buggy?
It worked fine in the past but now (new install) its unusable, I cant open any programs if I have NetworkMangager running. wpa_supplicant works fine.

my uni's servers run gentoo

Maybe that can help you find the wallpaper.

Attached: cache_2073dcf6c182430fc385c9da4178a539.png (2400x1284, 1.28M)

how does that print an image in urxvt?

You need to compile urxvt with the pixbuf use flag if that's what you're asking. No idea how it really works on the inside.

>You need to compile urxvt with the pixbuf use flag
it is, the command doesn't work
where did you get that?

Mint is for those who value their time so much that security is of absolutely no concern for them.

nvm, I made a typo

Can two E7-2890 v2 Xeons compile the kernel under a minute. There's a really good deal rn and i really wanna upgrade from my core 2 duo