Despite being a total linus...

despite being a total linus, this thing looks rather handy to have - especially because it wipes everything automatically if you boot from it without any further keypresses necessary

youtube.com/watch?v=Ls0fdUr885E

indiegogo.com/projects/redkey-usb-computer-data-wipe-tool--2#/

does anyone have an .iso file or something of this thing so you can make your own?
I assume it's just a regular usb drive (maybe it's read only)

Attached: redkey.png (1325x1311, 1.68M)

Why don't you just use DBAN? are a few extra keystrokes really worth $45? you still have to press F8 or whatever to select it as a boot device on most mobos anyway. You would have to be retarded to use some proprietary software to wipe your important data.

BTW this video was full of so much bullshit. First of all, wiping an SSD with this software won't delete everything because of wear-leveling. If you want to wipe an SSD, throw the SSD into a fire. Otherwise if you want to reuse it use the manufacturers software to wipe it. Using something like this is just going to kill the SSD and leave behind tons of data. Second of all they were so fucking retarded and were repartitioning the disk and use fucking Recuva to make sure it was wiped, when they should have imaged it and used photorec/testdisk and maybe a hex editor or strings /dev/sda | grep. If this wouldn't ensure it was properly wiped because of wear leveling.

*even this wouldn't ensure it was properly wiped because of wear leveling.

I get all that
if I'd really need to get rid of something, the only proper tool would be a hammer

the main thing why I'm interessted in this is usability. linus wasn't wrong about the fact that pretty much anyone can use it. if the computer tries to boot from usb by default, you literally only have to stick it in and turn it on

the fact that this wrecks the ssd and maybe isn't *completely* securely erasing the drives is an acceptable trade off in many scenarios

>if I'd really need to get rid of something, the only proper tool would be a hammer

You would be retarded then, because FBI etc can read data from pieces of a platter, so if you wanted to completely destroy the data, then DBAN it first and then smash for good measure. Or if you want style points, heat up the platters to such a high temperature that it causes the metal to become demagnetized. SSDs are easier to physically destroy because they burn really easily.

>the fact that this wrecks the ssd and maybe isn't *completely* securely erasing the drives is an acceptable trade off in many scenarios

Seems retdrded to spend money and go to the trouble of actually wiping your drives without putting in a small bit of extra effort and going all the way and doing it in a way that would deter a determined forensic analysist.

>You would be retarded then, because FBI etc can read data from pieces of a platter

If they could actually get anything useful from pic related, I'd go to jail applauding them

>Seems retdrded to spend money and go to the trouble of actually wiping your drives without putting in a small bit of extra effort and going all the way and doing it in a way that would deter a determined forensic analysist.
I'm talking about shit like selling used computers on ebay and such. If my neighbor or mum calls me because they want to sell their shit, I'm not going to 10 pass dban their drive full of year old cat videos. something like that redkey would be perfectly fine and they could do it themselves in most cases

Attached: 1gar5m.jpg (1536x1152, 642K)

stop linus posting
gay faggot

Can I activate this and let it do its job without any additional input from me? I need it in case the FBI kicks down my door, so it can erase my hard drive while they're throwing me to the ground and detaining me. I'll thrash around like an idiot, hopefully that'll keep them busy for about 2 minutes.

>10 pass dban
On a modern drive, you never need to do more than 1 wipe.

If the person you sell the drive to is savvy enough to check for deleted files in unallocated space, I wouldn't count on them not being savvy enough to check for deleted files in wear leveled cells.

>OP doesnt know about DBAN
Man, I'm fucking too old to be coming here now.

That drive is pretty easy to recover from. Keep in mind they recovered data from from drives on the space shuffle columbia explosion and even from the WTC. Also recovered some data from that school shooters drive whos dirve looked like that.

It takes a few hours for it to wipe the drive. Also you have to press f8 to load it. And if you have an SSD they'll be able to recover some data anyway.

yes, but since it takes hours to delete stuff properly, you'd have to trash around pretty hard

nothing of value to be had
as I said, this isn't meant to erase something with absolute security. just completely destroying the drive is the best option for that anyway

this is purely for an easy wipe that's moderately secure (so that linus level idiots can't get shit with recuva) and in cases where you want to sell the hard drive and such

So basically it's:

>Pay $45
>Don't need to press any buttons
>Drive recoverable by anyone with an IQ higher than Linus

or
>Pay $0
>Press a button
>Drive not recoverable by anyone except Jesus

>That drive is pretty easy to recover from
you have no idea what the fuck you're talking about

data recovery isn't some mystic arcane art

you cannot recover a drive that is pounded to dust halfway through. there are three things that destroy magnets: heat, (orthagonal or random) magnetic fields and kinetic shock.

guess what a hammer is really good at

the columbia drive was protected by a blackbox that was designed to withstand an explosion and of the hundreds, maybe thousands of drives in the WTC rubblle - there's bound to be one or two in reasonably good condition without broken platters. the school shooter drive was surely not trashed like pic related

Jesus must be a pretty good hacker.

>I'm sorry, officer, but could you just wait for 10 minutes before I finish wiping off my HDD?

>have to choose from the bootmenu
Thought this is a vandalizing tool like the usb killer
What the fuck is the point then?
How does it even work? Just filling the drive with zeroes?

you literally have no idea about how data is actually stored, do you?

>ITT pedophiles who need a way to wipe drives without pressing keys while the swat team breaks their door down
If you're at that point you're already fucked. They already have all the evidence they need. Fuck off pedos.

>Why don't you just use DBAN?
So as they said in the video, do programs exist for ssd's?
Not really trusting, drive companies own stuff.

nothing is preventing you from using dban on your ssd. it's just going to die sooner

I just use dd and write zeros. You won't be able to recover anything, even though there's a theoretical possibility. Practically you might recover parts of a file, which will likely just be garbage.

SSDs is another beast though. Is there a way to properly wipe them? Secure erase should work, right?

Agreed. But I reckon a quicker option would have been to raid 1 some drives and then wipe and compare.

Basically linus rushed through this vid like he usually does. His channel cannot be seen as as an actual review resource anymore (unless it's basic stuff like graphics cards). I mean did anyone in this video look like they actually did more work than we saw them do.

Use manufacturer's software for SSD erase. Also some BIOS have tools for secure SSD erasure.

cant you just live boot any distro and run the shred command a few times?

Honestly, this tool IS probably useful for audience that looks for IT advice from Linus .

>there are still people on Jow Forums that think one pass wipe is not enough

Just get a minimal live linux distro and add a script that wipes everything on startup

Daily reminder that obsession with this stuff most likely means that you are a filthy pedophile (perhaps just latent) and deserve to be killed in the most brutal fashion possible

LUKS nuke seems like a better choice for that sort of thing

>it's just going to die sooner
Realistically overwriting an SSD a few times really wouldn't make too much of a difference in lifetime
SSD NAND under fairly normal use is good for practically decades, you would have to be doing 100+ overwrites to make a appreciable difference

> 1980+39
> not breaking your hard drive platters when you get rid of them
> not encrypting all data on it so even if recovered it will be impossible to decrypt because of damage + encryption
Securitylets btfo

or you sell personal laptops on ebay and you don't want random people having your social security # and other personal info

He doesn't give any advice in his videos

Linus doesnt give advice. All he does is shill whatever marketers send him and does sponsored stuff.

I'm not even going to read this thread but throw something in here to think about for good measure.

This guy *definitely* just copypasted some open source stuff and threw a red UI on it and sells it now on 3 dollaridoos sticks.

Also if you read some of the absolutely vapid marketing bullshit he threw on his indygogo and kikestarter you might throw up. Some of it is outright made up nonsense.

Also linus is a dunce having absolutely no clue about anything. The correct way to go about this is having encrypted drives and throwing away the key when you're done with them. There's your "2 minute deletion".

Attached: Screenshot_2019-02-17_23-52-36.png (793x719, 76K)

Oh yeah, if anyone has this goddamn thing, I'd like to get my hands on whatever bullshit is shipped on them. I'm very curious how many license violations I can find.

I don't need this because I keep two grenades inside the case of my NAS. If someone tries to move it or open it without following the correct steps, it blows up. I test the mechanism every 3 months with dummy charges.

I was about to post this.

Would it be faster to just encrypt the whole thing?

This

>various open source components in addition to it’s home grown sauce (whatever the fuck that even means)
Oh, so he wrote a bash script that launches open source tools to do the job?

Welcome to Jow Forums.
Enjoy your stay.

Reminder that SSDs have non-addressable buffer for garbage collection and DBAN isn't going to touch the data there.

>Also linus is a dunce having absolutely no clue about anything.
That's no revelation to anyone. He's literally reading a script of key points that was penned up by whoever paid him to promote their product(s).