/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. Debian 9.8 Stretch edition.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% --help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: Previous thread:

Attached: debian-thong.png (897x389, 76K)

Other urls found in this thread:

packages.debian.org/buster/kitty
if-not-true-then-false.com/2015/fedora-nvidia-guide/
undrground.org/2019/01/05/installing-the-proprietary-nvidia-drivers-on-fedora-29/
fedoramagazine.org/install-nvidia-gpu/
linuxsecrets.com/archlinux-wiki/wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PulseAudio/Troubleshooting.html#No_sound_after_resume_from_suspend
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PulseAudio/Troubleshooting#No_sound_after_resume_from_suspend
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

it's not that hard to port/maintain your own xbps-src templates

Thanks for the input, from what I gather, Debian is very stable but because of that software updates are not very frequent, is that correct?
I'm not about to assume direct control just yet, so I guess I'll go with openSUSE for now since the lizard is cute.

People who use Arch
>baby's first computer science project
>signaling college try-hards
>use for half the semester to have it break on update just before finals
>"look everyone, I'm using arch!"
>i3 gaps / awesome wm
>Arch sticker on the back of a fatass T420

People who use Debian
>pragmatists who want stable software so they can get things done
>people who have been there and done that with linux and have come home to superior Debian
>people who want a free as in freedom distro
>people who want a distro that will still easily allow them to install non-free software
>adults who use linux

you keep telling that to yourself.

Attached: 1540322362872.png (688x1430, 156K)

Fedora is better

Attached: Fedora-logo.svg.png (2000x2000, 112K)

Debian stretch was literally just updated yesterday. There are different versions, if you want bleeding edge code Debian will actually have it first before most other distros, but if you want stability go with Debian stable.

What about "new" software is important for you? Do you program and contribute to FOSS software?

>following instructions online is hard guys

Literally installing arch is the most documented install of any distribution of Linux. It is the easiest thing you will do with Arch if you actually contribute to FOSS.

which makes it all the more sad that you can't do it.

post .netrc

Of course I've installed Arch before, why is that impressive to anyone and why should I have to tell you that.

>Arch
>Grapes
HAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

>not using the distro with the best support and update management

Ubuntu cries for you

>botnet ubuntu reddit-spacer babby kills the entire thread

Attached: 1527977298009.jpg (600x418, 27K)

You have shitstains and your distro is equally vulnerable to botnet malware as ubuntu when you don't get the security updates

>prove me wong
>bigger project is better

Who are you quoting?

I can see you're fresh off from reddit so I'll throw you a bone:
While greentext can be used to directly quote people's speech, it can also be used to indirectly "quote" an entire post or something that has happened
Make sure to lurk before posting so you don't reveal your new in the future!

After fiddling around with openbsd for a bit in a VM, I'm thinking of dual-booting it with my current debian I have on my t430. What's the best way of going about this.

>What's the best way of going about this
install the OS and dual boot it?

What is the best stable distribution out there?

>What's the best way of going about this
install the OS and dual boot it?

>download opensuse network install iso
>somehow takes almost a minute to boot
>get to stare at a fancy three-colour progress bar that gets progressively slower and you can't tell if it's actually doing anything
based and tested

Attached: ???.png (1024x768, 5K)

i always liked how that loading bar looked, but unfortunately, it's the kind which makes itself appear smoother by moving in anticipation of progress, rather than moving to represent progress

Based on what?

the monolithic gnu/linux kernel of course

>gnu/linux kernel

Attached: 1523821222665.jpg (548x551, 220K)

Attached: 213515213.png (688x1430, 165K)

Stock LFS

So I installed deepin from ppa on mint 19.1
What the fuck is this abomination? How can anyone use it? Default configuration is literally unsuable, """fashion""" mode doesn't even have logout option, no sane control center, WHITE FONT ON WHITE BACKGROUND FUCKING EVERYWHERE, what the fuck am I supposed to edit?
Holy fucking shit, I expected nothing but am still let down.

Why am I getting a "Unable to locate package kitty" on sudo apt-get install kitty in latest Debian?
packages.debian.org/buster/kitty

1. Are you sure you're running debian buster?
2. Did you update?

Does package count really matter?

According to NEOFETCH I have like 2300 packages installed on my system, everything runs great. But in fetch threads I see Arch users having like 200 packages on their system and can't help but think that I don't need half the shit on here. But my system runs fine, so I dunno

Attached: 1530325181371.png (1925x1130, 578K)

Its only on buster

Upgrade to testing

Kde neon has a really nice filepicker desu.

Bloat

I overwrote my primary table I think when I entered /dev/sda instead of /dev/sda1 and it showed as 512 bytes overwritten. I don't mind losing the data on the ssd but I just want to get it to load an os again every time I try to start it there is no bootloader, how do I get it to work again? Gparted/fdisk/parted can make partitions but the 512 bytes in the partition table can't be restored so I can't use the drive
The solutions which I found require it to have just happened, the partitioning chapter in How Linux Works doesn't help.
Is there anything I can read on this specifically? Like how to restore a 512 byte partition table because every time I try to boot GRUB I get an error and I can't use the disk

>kde
>neon

Attached: 1522456770568.jpg (640x400, 38K)

Please stand, remove you're hats, and observe a minutes silence for the last alpha male please.

Attached: Screenshot_20190218_080708.png (1200x680, 316K)

No it doesn't matter. Debian and similar distros count packages differently than arch and gentoo, so your number will always look high.

Distros for this feel?

I think you're the new one here

Fedora

>falls for day one bait
>>i think you're the new one here

Attached: 1548194702421.jpg (600x475, 55K)

CHINKED

Trying to prove his seniority by saying he was just pretending to be retarded

i'm not him moron

afaik chink telemetry is a part of distro but not de

if you copy the primary disk using dd, does that include the MBR ? im assuming so since its a bit by bit copy and i copied the whole disk

correct

Is there a way I can store the urls that mpv plays, so I can blacklist them to ignore them. It's for not playing videos that I've already watched from a channel.

Is there a way to disable/skip the requirement check for Lubuntu? It wants 1 GB RAM but due to the IGP it only reports ~960 MB.

How do you remember all the commands you use? Do you keep a reference book/ ebook, or from the top of your head. I'm quite seasoned, but for complex stuff I have to clear the cobwebs, and that's not always optimal. Especially for shit I need to do only every now and then.

>for complex stuff I have to clear the cobwebs
what "complex stuff"?

I just keep a text file of commands and comment what it's for

why do people package firefox extensions on the AUR? seems pretty unnecessary

How to install lastest nvidia driver for fedora?
Just switch to fedora everything seems nice, help me please

>kde still defaults to that cursor ripped from a children's flash game

Attached: 1497176044818.png (494x468, 176K)

im a linux newb, what's the deal with systemd? should i care if im just a general purpose user?

No

no

no

>no
has fglt finally grown up?

no

no

yes
yes

Attached: comboBreaker.jpg (512x533, 36K)

Hi Velo.

Not sure if this is the right thread...
i'm trying to compile IceCat from source and i keep getting this error: "File listed in UNIFIED_SOURCES does not exist: icecat-60.3.0/layout/base/nsBidi.cpp"
This file indeed does not exist, but google reveals nothing
What do?

Is there any potion in fontconfig to make my fonts a bit thicker? I was using Noto Sans, but it look so thin that is hard to read.
Or maybe I should just swap all the fonts for a thicker font?

Attached: 1550411447147.jpg (378x396, 14K)

Now comes the question which one of you would call me out on here

How's Debian for the Raspberry Pi 3b?
Only planning to do some light browsing/calibre with it.

[spoiler]I can't unbuy something I bought for Retropie 3 years ago[/spoiler]

Yes. you should be able to "embolden" fonts with that.

You can try.

But unbuying it and getting a faster SBC like a Rock64Pro or some x86_64 sounds like the more appealing plan to me rather than struggling with the increasingly bloated web & browsers.

Noto comes with several different varieties of font thickness. I know NotoSansCJKjp has 7 different weights. It would be much better to use a thicker variant than to artificially thicken a thinner variant.

>kyoAnus

Yea, I've been thinking about a buying a NUC.
But an extra SD for my pi only sets me back €9 or so.

Any ideas on why void refuses to keep a proper time? I can change it correctly but it will reset upon rebooting. Timezone is correct and the time changes properly it is just always 5 hours behind. bios on laptop keeps time correctly and windows plus alpine linux installs always keep the correct time. I can edit all other settings but the use network time option.
DE cinnamon 4.0.9

>mfw void
>no scalapack/blas/science meme package in xbps
>check out debian, has them all pre compiled
>thatfeel.jpg
i am getting there user, slowly

Fighting over distros is childish. No exceptions.

I actually have more respect for Arch users because I see them constantly belittled in these threads and rarely do I see them bother to fight back.
From what I've heard apparently the reason some faggots in /fglt/ are so butthurt about arch users is because they're "toxic" or whatever on the arch _forum_, but this is not the arch forum. This is /fglt/.
So the cancer _here_ is people like you.

how do i copy someone's rice from github?

I see all these nice looks rices for i3 but I don't really care much for making my own outside of functionality but when I move their dot files to mine everything goes to shit

What's the best distribution for playing video games on?

Arch

Probably Ubuntu, because it's the one Valve officially supports.

It's pretty easily doable on any distro though.

Yo, is it possible to have the braille font on tty? I've been stuck on this and tried so many things to get those braille art to work upon login, but they all fail. Only works if you ssh in.

>have java application
>it has it's own .exe file
>can't run it for some reason, just offers with which software to open it
What to do.

I have an old Dell laptop and I wanted to replace the operating system with a dpkg based distro. Would this machine be able to run something like Debian or Lubuntu?

Attached: dell.png (1024x692, 41K)

can someone maybe point me in the right direction as to why my fonts are rendering like this? I'm using le bald man's st build, so it should be grabbing the fonts from my Xresources. It looks like this with any font I've tried

Attached: 2019-02-18-154530_1366x768_scrot.png (1366x768, 444K)

>ubuntu
>not latest nvidia driver stack
>not latest proton
>not latest wine
No
>officially supports
They only support ubuntu's packaging, literally everything else is the same

Not an archtard, but I imagine for doing quicker, clean installs with absolutely everything they want all from the aur.

If you want to use the truly latest Linux binaries, follow this:
if-not-true-then-false.com/2015/fedora-nvidia-guide/
If you'd rather use the more auto-update friendly, but not quite bleeding edge way follow these two links:
undrground.org/2019/01/05/installing-the-proprietary-nvidia-drivers-on-fedora-29/
fedoramagazine.org/install-nvidia-gpu/

I've had a surprising number of games where shit won't launch correctly because of a library in a specific Debain/derivative location, mostly with GOG games. It's fixable creating symbolic links to other versions of that library, or putting it in the path of what you are executing, but for someone who isn't going to know how to troubleshoot that packaging (which we might consider bad, but hey they do explicitly say they only support ubuntu), deb based distros are much safer.

Yes, you might want to try out Lubuntu like you mentioned, or xubuntu or ubuntu MATE.
You will get people fighting to tell you which of those is the lightest (probably Lubuntu in my experience). I don't think it will run any worse than XP. Any of those with a XFCE whisker like menu to make start/menu searching aren't so bad to me.

>debian
Not much better YBQHFL

I'm on Arch.I make a new WINEPREFIX for every game. I've yet to ever have problems with what you are stating.
Are you altering STEAM_RUNTIME via a env variable somewhere? Steam it self uses packaged libs, which is fine in most cases. Check the arch wiki for situations where using a more updated library is better then the packaged ones. If you're just using flat wine you should know to use appdb for any issues any games have when using wine.
>deb based distro's are much safer
Horse shit lol. Linux is Linux is LInux. Its the same core systems and subsystems that run on every distro using the Linux kernel. No distro is more inherently "safer" then any others. They use the same software. Th e differences come down to compiler flags.
If something is exploited in the kernel. Everyone is vulnerable
If something is exploited in the toolchain
Everyone is vulnerable
If something is exploited in the init
Everyone is vulnerable

Thanks for the answer. I'll try and experiment with a few distros starting with Lubuntu.

Have a problem with pulseaudio, with no sound after suspension.

/usr/bin/pasuspender /bin/true solves the problem and i try to automate it exactly according to the steps here:
linuxsecrets.com/archlinux-wiki/wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PulseAudio/Troubleshooting.html#No_sound_after_resume_from_suspend

But it doesn't appear to do anything since the audio still disappear after suspension

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PulseAudio/Troubleshooting#No_sound_after_resume_from_suspend

The link I posted contains exactly the same steps as yours

Then follow them and solve your problem :)

Enable unlimited history in bashrc:
HISTSIZE="-1"
HISTFILESIZE="-1"

Prevent overwriting of bash history with set revert-all-at-newline on in inputrc.

Enable history searching with pageup and pagedown keys; enabled in some distros but disabled in Debian by default. In inputrc:
"\e[5~": history-search-backward
"\e[6~": history-search-forward

Then save any complex command I may want to remember as a script under ~/bin, which has been added to my $PATH

Do I need to restart my computer if I'm upgrading from Debian Stretch (9, stable) to Debian Buster (10, testing)

Already did that