Is it any good?

Hit or miss?

Attached: freebsd-logo.png (300x260, 35K)

Other urls found in this thread:

lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2018-December/072422.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

i guess they never miss, huh

but in the case of freebsd it always misses, yeah. every other BSD is better than it at this point.

it has some good bits — namely ports and zfs. but overall setting up properly and securely is a huge pain in the ass. the defaults are pants on head rarted in a lot of cases, especially related to security.

its a good base if you know how to configure it or don't mind reading like 3/4 in depth guides, but personally id rather use openbsd, dragonflybsd, netbsd, or trueos

It has no advantage over Linux. It's just as shite but with fewer drivers. At least OpenBSD offers some of the best security in the industry.

if you like pretending you're living in 2005 then hit.

openbsd is less secure than even ms-dos as soon as you install anything, even something in ports.
It's also not clear it's more secure than anything at all in the base system, merely likely because they audit the base system. But there is no security mitigation in place whatsoever so that's not saying much, and their privilege isolation mechanism is purely cooperative, which means if there's any bug in the policy, you're fucked, and if the software is not perfectly trusted (i.e. any software not from the base system, plus possibly many software in the base system but without being an expert on obfuscated malicious code you'll never know), you're fucked.

Pick the right tool for the job nigger. OpenBSD is great for a firewall, OpenSMTPD, etc., but not so great for desktop OS.

It could be worse.

Attached: openbsd-boomer.png (1006x730, 177K)

You guys have too much free time on your hands.
Use windows or osx. And if you really want to be a Linux faggot use Ubuntu for desktop usage and Debian for servers. Done.

Right. OpenBSD would also be a bad tool for generic servers though (i.e. for any service beyond what's included right in the base system).
And even then I'm still waiting for proper evidence that other OSs couldn't function better in these use cases, or at least that OpenBSD offers anything over them.

Goy, I...

sure, openbsd doesnt have anything as "powerful" as SELinux, but as a user or admin the pledge(2)/unveil(2) combo is much easier to use and configure requiring literally no effort. add to the fact that a lot of software even in ports is patched to use it (see chrome and firefox for good examples) and it becomes incredibly useful. obviously as with all things software, there are drawbacks and upsides compared to a fully fledged MAC system.

with the development of pledge(1) comes a way to sandbox any program, which will be nice when it gets released. in terms of exploit mitigation openbsd has w^x, (k)aslr, retguard, etc. on top of that i feel much safer on a system where buggy messes like openssl, sendmail, and ntp have been ripped out and replaced with stuff that isn't utter shite. i also feel safer knowing the OS itself is set to be secure by default, whereas something like freebsd and certain linux distro need significant changes to be safe.

the whole "openbsd so secure!1!1!" is a complete circlejerk but its a good option if it matches your usecase (firewalls, small webservers, desktop on supported hw, etc)

Does netbsd have freebsd like jails?

But pledge/unveil is completely cooperative, thus if the program that you run doesn't use it correctly or not at all, you can't do anything about it. That's the problem.

NetBSD is the BSD that's making the most strides right now. You could see it dwarf FreeBSD in the next few years due to the fact FreeBSD is run by absolute dumbasses.

It's fine. It feel a lot like gentoo but without mandatory compiling. The community won't support you either, so you must RTFM if you want to succeed.

lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2018-December/072422.html
> MUH ZFS
Daily reminder FreeBSD brainlets don't know how to maintain their ZFS code base so they're switching their implementation to ZFS on Linux. That's right, ZFS implementation in FreeBSD is literally stolen from Linux.

funtoo community is really good, though.

I use it with FreeNAS on my NAS. It has quite good documentation and I like the jail system. A lot more intuitive and useful than chroot. Would not use it for anything else though.

HARD miss. OpenBSD does NOT support TRIM. Enjoy lesser benefits of your SSD.

implying trim isnt hardware handled these days