/wdg/ - Web Development General

Just post the JSFiddle

Previous thread: >Beginner Roadmap and Overview
github.com/kamranahmedse/developer-roadmap
youtube.com/watch?v=UnTQVlqmDQ0

>Free beginner resources to get started
Get a good understanding of HTML, CSS and JavaScript.
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn - a good introduction to HTML/CSS/JS and Node.js or Django
freecodecamp.org - curriculum including HTML/CSS/JS, React, Node.js, Express, and MongoDB
javascript.info - curriculum providing a strong basis in JavaScript

>Further learning resources and documentation
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web - excellent documentation for HTML, CSS & JS
hackr.io - crowdsourced collection of tutorials from across the web for learning languages and libraries (ignore sponsored stuff, look at upvotes)
learnxinyminutes.com - quick reference sheets for the syntax of many different languages (generally not sufficient on their own for learning something, but very helpful)
pastebin.com/gfBPg24A - Everything PHP

>Asking questions
jsfiddle.net - Use this and post a link, if you need help with your HTML/CSS/JS
3v4l.org/ - Use this and post a link, if you need help with PHP/HackLang

Attached: wdg.jpg (1142x636, 140K)

Other urls found in this thread:

jsfiddle.net/5bqte0u9/
jsfiddle.net/8bpqvjye/1/
github.com/calzoneman/sync
journal.plausible.io/you-probably-dont-need-a-single-page-app
coursera.org/degrees/bachelor-of-science-computer-science-london
uopeople.edu
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Problem: youtube suppresses independent media in its search
Solution: a farm of sites, each of which utilises the daily api limit, coordinated by one site that aggregates search results and filters out mainstream media sources; also has a distributed caching mechanism
This would allow users to circumvent the built-in youtube search.

Possible? Viable? Costly?

>5k/year
holy shit son

just got off the phone with an recruiter and she invited me to lunch on Friday to 'put a face to the name'

she young and blonde, am i gonna fugg

dynamoDB, the order tracking, I wouldn't dismiss that

Unlikely. What's more likely is the fact that you think this might be a possibility means she's already won any subsequent negotiation.

Asked /sqt/ about this but realised here might be a better place to ask. Context behind this is an input box users need to be able to increase decrease with arrow buttons as well as type into themselves.
HTML input tag with an initial value in exponential notation, so for example jsfiddle.net/5bqte0u9/
On chrome it will show 1e-4 in the input bar, on firefox it will show 0.0001. Is there any way to get firefox to show 1e-4 without having to fuck around with JS too much? I feel as if this should be supported in firefox but I can't find anything about it online.

im gonna crush her under my dick anyways

i was already upfront about my salary expectations

>firefox read math expressions as default
bad practice indeed, add invisible characters in between as an easy way out of that hell

Godspeed, user

Sorry, can you please explain what you mean by "add invisible characters in between"? Tried adding spaces or alt+255 in various places but it just caused it to break.

it will break but still display it? you'll have to make a replace characters when you feed the formula to your in-program computation, sorry never done this before, just teorizing

When I say break I just mean the value that's displayed on the input box goes from 0.0001 to nothing and it starts at 0. From the start the input expects a number, so adding invis characters to the initial value causes it to be confused. Someone in /sqt/ did suggest to just use an alphanumeric input however I was just trying to figure out if there was a way to force firefox to not be dumb from the beginning.
>sorry never done this before
Nah don't be, I appreciate all feedback, thanks

Why you cocksuckers keep doing this thread if you never reply to my questions? Fuck you guys

> Complains part of the media is being suppressed
> Plans to suppress the other part

On chrome it will also change to 0.0001 as soon as you click one of the arrows.
If you don't need a native number input element, then you can try to create a solution, where you keep the value separate in some variable and render the scientific notation in a string in a normal input field maybe.

a quick question, is there a way to count and select the results in a single mysql query? currently I'm counting and then selecting, I didn't find another way back when I was writing the code, was wondering if there is one (it's for pagination)

>supressing people with thousands and millions of views
>in your alternative site
oh noes, think of the children! On the other hand, imagine the fuckloads of teen ass and loli upskirts in the alt content, pedos will love it!

If a step is included, it will stay in scientific notation. Might as well just copy paste the actual code.

>keep the value separate in some variable and render the scientific notation in a string
At this point that's looking more and more likely, only thing that feels anoying is possibly adding the arrow buttons for increasing and decreasing.
Should I bother to contact mozilla about this/make a bug report? No idea what I'd expect from either.

just search by new, god damn

like the other poster said, you might have to redo the whole notation in FF, set a conditional ... or don't and work with the notation incrementing it and decrementing it, simulate a number imput field with the two buttons, hard work, but what can you do... maybe someone ran into the same problem before and shared his solution.

doesn't have to do with the step but with the value it seems
everything below 0.000001 gets rendered in scientific notation for me in Chrome, while FF doesn't do that, which is probably a design decision rather than a bug

also just tried something when seeing the oninput handler in your post
would this work?
jsfiddle.net/8bpqvjye/1/

oh also only works in Chrome.
Didn't check it in FF before posting.

Push comes to shove, I might have to give in in the end
Yeah did consider it, it's an interesting problem.
Cheers everyone for their suggestions, gonna go sleep on it now, goodnight.

what kind of concepts do i need to learn to figure out how cytuDOTbe works on build a mini basic version myself as a practice project?

github.com/calzoneman/sync

so far I've noticed a singleton pattern and sockets which I haven't used before.
my current job is codemonkey shit with basic javascript but I've been learning some express and node on the side for a few weeks now

Attached: 1583457086434.jpg (544x841, 48K)

>sick of cd , code ., npm start
>make dev.sh
>#!/bin/bash cd , code ., npm start
>./dev
feels good

>#!/bin/bash cd && code . && npm start
woops

lel

hmmm.. or just subscribe to the channels you favour, and use the api to list the videos in your subscription.

or curate the content yourself... like drudge report.

I read yesterday something about not mixing up front end with backend code

say I need to pass a php variable in order to display an alert on a login screen, how would you go on about that?

to add to this, I can already do what I'm describing, but I need to echo the variable through php anyways, otherwise I don't know how that would be done

>anyways
Are you from Northern USA?

that's better than being a 3rd world spic like myself desu

By working with a MVC architecture and a templating processor like mustache.

>just add more meme layers dude
I hate you guys, I haven't picked up react yet, but it fucking disgust me how you niggers use layers on layers of fuckery, I'm from jQuery era and I'm sick of you all.

I hope you are meming
Read this
journal.plausible.io/you-probably-dont-need-a-single-page-app

Use Vue.js

how do I set the height of the bootstrap slider without using height=800"

I have that now as a temp but it's not going to work for smaller screens

use %?

const sliderHeight = document.querySelector('#slider').clientHeight

More work on my lead pages

mobile-first bitches

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-02-18 at 4.03.09 PM.png (2880x1800, 1.41M)

>if IE 6
the absolute madman!

>adblock
>not ublock
lmfao

redpill me on bootstrap
why should I learn it?

>company keeps copying my work
>The ceo reaches out and has their hiring manager contact me.
>they want me to do a coding test

Are these guys serious? My stuff is good enough for them to steal but they want me to do a coding test? lol.

bootstrap is good to code applications fast (you don't have to worry about how the frontend looks at all)

How many bids on Freelancer are usually required to get a project for a beginner?

Attached: making_sense.jpg (285x293, 35K)

works on my machine

boilerplate, we dont support ie6

/* Just sets the very specific background-image property */
#backward{
background-image: url('backward.png');
}
/* Overrides unmentioned attributes potentially set elsewhere because of id specificity */
#backward{
background: url('backward.png');
}

What is 'background' called in this case in contrast to 'background-image'?
It really stung me and I'd like tools to explode these in my editor, most likely.

Attached: file.png (291x85, 5K)

>Freelancer
get a real job homo

In Background property you can add background color, repeat, no-repeat and image attributes But in background-image property you are only allowed to add image

>copying my work
what do you mean? can you elaborate?
don't you have a license in your projects ?

>coding test
standard operating procedure

>forced to be in charge of 3 southamerican mongrels because the PM said so
>"they are good pogrammers, I swear, user"
>give them a simple task of adding responsive to a single page site to each one of them since thursday last week
>they'd have finished it the same day
>it's monday and they still haven't fucking finished
>have a talk with PM and tell her about their performance in these three days
>"ugh... well, we can't find another people because of the project's budget and time already established, so make it work, user *wink*"
>talk with those mongrels
>i can barely understand their english
>"yes sir, I'll have it in 5 hours"
>5 hours just to add media queries... since thursday last week
>"yes sir, project too complex and didn't know about this"
>...
sometimes I keep staring at my dad's old gun inside his desk for hours and wonder if I should meet with him whenever he is...

I'm aware. I just didn't realize that the background property was this kind of property. So I would want to know what this kind of property is called.
I'd rather just deal with the background-image type, almost always.
I prefer being more explicit. And if I know what they're called I'm thinking I could make a list of them and search for them. So I don't run in to this problem again.

I have no patent. They are just basic tools that I release for free. They copy my tools within a few months of releasing them, consistently.

>don't you have a license in your projects ?
Why would this protect you? They're probably not stealing code, not that user is aware anyway.

oh, was tripping
>boilerplate
what kind of boilerplate is that?

>you probably don't need X
I hate these articles. These often feel like the title is chosen first and then the author tries to come up with enough reasons to publish it.
Thought he would maybe argue for something like pre-rendered static-site-generator output, so instead of dynamically swapping out elements with JS, you just load another HTML file.
I don't know how you could even argue, that server-rendered setups would be simpler or faster to develop with.

The reasons he lists also feel completely made up.
>You should use older tools, because newer tools are progressing too fast.
Really now. Complaining that Gulp got replaced by Webpack (or even the way simpler and more convenient Parcel bundler).
Or how he says that Sass got superseded? Does he mean SCSS. If so, that's pretty disingenuous.

>I’ve spent many hours making sure that browser history is managed just right, that the loading animation looks smooth, restoring the scroll position when the user navigates through history, etc. It’s a mess.
what a fucking clown

Attached: scrn.png (671x198, 25K)

>have a talk with PM and tell her about their performance in these three days
>have a talk with PM and tell her
>and tell her
>HER
that's the problem, user
women leading projects most of the time ends in tragedy

Attached: women in charge.jpg (1267x1980, 1.63M)

was supposed to reply to

maybe because it's shorter, I'd use background image, because I'm used to it and gives me more confidence, background lets you put everything in there

Ok, 10MB jabbascript is only for webapps, but why everything must be a webapp? Why gitlab is a webapp? It just hosts static content.

those are the properties where you can set the "short hand" properties, like border or margin let you set all fucking attributes in there, there are many, but I don't recall any other for now

I'm asking what it's called. Not why it's used.
I'm asking for a name.
Like "compound properties".
Something like that.

>*wink
oof, that must have hurt
so.. 3 southamericans = a regular programmer? tell your boss straight!

I kek'd
now back to your shithole, Jow Forumsack

it's often much more convenient and also easier to read.
compare
border: 1px solid tomato;

and
border-width: 1px;
border-style: solid;
border-color: tomato;

short hand property, I think

google CSS short hand

VueJS senior webdev with a bit of node/express: 135k USD

>short hand property
Excellent. Thank you.

>vue jobs exist
there is hope

I am a newbie learning css

is adding responsive media queries really that hard or are those guys really incompetent at their job?

I'm looking at online degree programs, because I'm sick of not having one.
So far I've found:
coursera.org/degrees/bachelor-of-science-computer-science-london
Which seems to be the best option, especially considering I dropped out of high school(and there's a Performance-Based Admission).
There's also this: uopeople.edu
Which I think is terrible(I don't think any company will take a University of the People degree seriously -- the name just sounds ridiculous), but will do if I have to.

I've been programming and in web dev for 8 years. Just want to get a degree. Which would you choose? Any other considerations?

It's easy as fuck. The same complexity as the entirety of CSS.

>senior Vue dev
damn

A bit late, but if you found this new thread user, you want to have the display block, but the important property is 'position', with the value 'absolute':
ruby rt {
display: none;
position: absolute;
top: 10px; /* show it above and to the left a bit */
left: 10px; /* top and left are optional; adjust as needed */
}

ruby:hover rt {
display: block;
}

ruby {
position: relative; /* if the ruby element previously had position:static or no position set */
}

Absolute positioning takes an element out of the normal page layout flow, and basically places it on a layer on top of its parent. When an element is absolute positioned, the top, right, bottom, and left properties move it in relation to its positioned ancestor element (anything other than position:static is considered "positioned", which is why we need to give the ruby element position:relative).

depends
If it's only a single page site with a decent ammount of elements like user said, it should take you between 2-4 hours at most.
Taking 3 days for that means they are utter shit at their jobs

Anyone?

>2-4 hours

Attached: TSTBaQ7.jpg (1462x2046, 121K)

>2-4 hours
seriously? adding media queries is the easiest task in web dev and shouldn't even take you more than 15 mins per page

He didn't mean just to write the media queries obviously.
It will take some time, if you actually put in some effort to adjust various styles to better go with the new device width.
But sure, you could just put everything in a column and be done after a few minutes, if that's really what you want.

>I've never added media queries: the post

Attached: 1550460178276.jpg (452x544, 47K)

>is adding responsive media queries really that hard
>2-4 hours
>hur durrr not JUSTTTT MEDIA QUERIES
>t. literal fucking brainlet, pic related

Attached: 231nhyk8yv001.png (282x179, 4K)

>I've only added media queries once and it was hard as fuck: the post

behold the absolute KANG of media queries

Attached: images.png (225x225, 7K)

good thread

Attached: 1512328378053.jpg (971x565, 141K)

>posts a selfie
looking good, KANG

calm your tits, guru of media queries
The only thing I understood from that user is her PM fucked up and now he has to deal with 3 shitty coders who probably don't know how to actually code, so... sucks to be him then
Adding responsive media queries is not that hard and shouldn't take too long unless there are shit ton of stuff in a page / pages in general are a mess and have to deal with overpopulated footers/headers.

Attached: image.jpg (666x832, 70K)

Shit programmers are everywhere, mate. It doesn't have anything to do with where they came from.

he should tell the company HR is doing a shitty job at selecting people and them be banished to the shadow realm

I worked with half a Bsc. for two years, before i completed the full curriculum. If it's just about the paper; not worth it.
If it's about job opportunities; there's a whole bunch of software positions where shitty graduates programmer just spaghetti shit together.

If those two are your only options then yes, pick the university of london

there should be a /wdg/ discord

there is
it's shit
period

not this shit again

/wdg

Not uh nigger we need an IRC. Keeps the normalfags away

that'd be cool too just something

we already have a discord, it's /wdg