Why is this allowed?

Why is this allowed?

Attached: ScreenHunter_25.jpg (640x229, 19K)

Because otherwise they'd be lying

Unformated vs Formated?

>Why is this allowed?
You don't even want to know.

Attached: powerfulpeopleoppressing.png (600x805, 488K)

GiB vs GB

So if you don't lie you're lying?

Because 2^10 != 10^3

only correct answer

They advertise in GB, your computer shows GiB
It's not hard to not be stupid.

Look up deadbytes. There are literally dozens of unused GB on every new HDD in the world, just waiting for some three-letter agency to install something onto it covertly. It is strongly suspected that Windows is already built with the capability to covertly run a surveilence program if installed in this space

GiB is imaginary 1024MB is a GB There is no standard for 1000MB GB's the storage media companies are just ripping us off

Because Windows fucked up

>buy 10 TB HDD
>its actually a 9 TiB HDD

GB literally means billion bytes.

Attached: 1550517037181.png (377x310, 29K)

computers use binary

>Look up deadbytes.
Nothing relevant came up.

Because everything a marketing person tells you, yes literally every fucking single word, is bullshit. At least Hitler was up front on what he wanted to achieve. I wouldn't trust someone in marketing even if my goddamn family's life depended on it.

>GB literally means billion bytes.
>The byte is a unit of digital information that most commonly consists of eight bits, representing a binary number.

Hitler isn't selling SD cards so this doesn't help me

why haven’t you fucked off to Jow Forums already mate? you’ve mentioned hitler twice already, unsolicited both times

>"for some reason the type of unit also determines how many you have to bundle together in order to add a metric prefix"
This is how retarded you are. Metric works in decimals. -bibyte is specifically designed to do what you say. Stop being fucking retarded.

As a marketing professional, I can attest you're absolutely based and #F00pilled.

That or, you know, GiB vs GB

Blame Microsoft for using GiB labeled as GB. GNU/Linux and macOS do it correctly.

>t. microsoft
>t. seagate
>t. western digital
>t. toshiba
>t. every consumer grade storage medium manufacturer

Attached: 1.47MB MF-2HD IBM formatted.jpg (500x552, 66K)

>marketer detected

What are the Jow Forums approved hard drive/SSD manufacturers?

HDD manufacturers correctly advertise 512,000,000,000 Bytes as 512 Gigabytes (Giga = Billion), but then Windows falsely displays the value in 476.8371582 Gibibytes (Gibi = 1024*1024*1024) but labels it as Gigabytes. Technically you get what you've paid for, but it's falsely labeled in Windows.

>not using gibioctets to minimise ambiguity

i just got one of these ""8tb"" drives

and guess what its a fucking 7.2tb drive
they skimped out on 800GB that may aswell be a ""1tb"" drive they failed to put in

Attached: HD408WD_169867_800x800.jpg (800x800, 63K)

We call you a Nazi because instead of acting sane and finding a real way to improve things, you just sit in your room and post on Jow Forums that the holocaust never happened.

Does Linux display the sizes correctly?

Yes, but that won't make the drive fit more data, it'll just display a different number.

It didn't tho

Who tf spells it "advertized"

Thank you for stating the obvious. How does this relate to my post?

It's correct for GB to represent either 2^30 bytes or 10^9 bytes, so neither is falsely labeled. GiB is just a newer unambiguous term, but it doesn't make GB unambiguous. Writing kB however instead of KB is unambiguous, as kB should always mean 1000 bytes and never 1024 bytes, as the SI prefix for kilo is lowercase k. (Though you often see this used wrongly in places.)

This isn't really standardized in any way in Linux, though you can almost always expect to see prefixes with a power of 1024. There are some things in the procfs which output numbers with 1024 prefixes, but in /proc/meminfo for example, it says kB even though they are actually 1024-byte kibibytes. GNU Coreutils seems to consistently use powers of 2, in programs such as du, df, ls, but there's no real rule that makes programs work this way. You can run `du --si` when using GNU du and you will get prefixes in powers of 1000 rather than 1024. I don't know what graphical file managers typically use, but in PCManFM at least, it uses 1024 prefixes and specifically writes "GiB" instead of GB. I don't use nautilus or dolphin or anything else so I dunno what the convention is with stuff from the big DEs, but I'm pretty sure they label it the same as in Windows.

So what brands are the most reliable?

Except that, you know, it did.

Hey normie, here's why: Every file system needs some room for recording which parts of the drive are free, so depending on the system, they devote say, 1 bit for every 4kb on the drive.

Why is a cup & spoon a different size in US & UK

Attached: IMG_5475.jpg (460x446, 54K)

kek
>seething marketer

Attached: 1549824855664.jpg (448x398, 136K)

then why not add that required space as additional storage? i.e manufacture 552gb drives and advertise them as 512gb

but that would be fair to the customer so it will never happen.

Attached: lying.png (654x230, 11K)

That clearly says 4tb.

It did and we should do it again