/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Previous thread
>Read
>GNU/Linux questions?
>PC building?
>Programming questions?
>Good, cheap, laptops?
>Cheap electronics?
>How to activate any version of windows?
>Where can I get Win 7 or LTSB?
pastebin.com/smjvLZN4
pastebin.com/quC0gz4j
pastebin.com/gHCCFBkt
pastebin.com/4LvsAFk7

Attached: m-mister?.jpg (750x750, 90K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/c3TwFt
bestbuy.com/site/dell-se2717hr-27-ips-led-fhd-freesync-monitor-piano-black/5996200.p?skuId=5996200&ref=212&loc=1&extStoreId=422&ref=212&loc=1&ds_rl=1260666&ds_rl=1266837&ds_rl=1266837&gclid=EAIaIQobChMInqDa4cLG4AIViFYNCh2Phw7WEAQYASABEgLkCfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
youtube.com/watch?v=74agkgZdzkI
w3.org/TR/html401/present/styles.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Reposting

Is there a handy guide for drill bit sizes and common PC mounting screws? I want to take an empty C128 chassis and make it into a nice little sleeper?

Attached: 1493515214014.png (537x808, 718K)

I have a dumb question regarding the MIT license and programming

if I use a third party resource which is licensed under MIT, does it mean my whole code is now licensed by it?

Is there a voice changer yet that doesn't immediately make someone ask if I'm using a voice changer? Because I want to be an anime girl in VRchat.

Nope. You can for certain take MIT code and include it in your proprietary thing.
I mean, you're an evil bastard if you do it, but you can do it.

6.5mm or 1/4 inch

what was the name of that popular screen capture / cloud storage software that looked like a piece of windows XP malware and surprised everybody by ending up compromised by actual malware, killing the project off? I keep forgetting its name and every once in a while it comes up - but not until after I've forgotten its name again.

puush (dot) me is the website

that's the little shit I've been looking for, thanks

That only happens when you use gpl.

What's the best way to compress files? Particularly game files and videos. I tried 7zip but it was barely compressing stuff to 95% for the most part even at ultra compression and the highest I could go for the other settings.

I put in a new battery in my moms mid 2010 macbook but it wont turn on with it. I put the old battery in and it works fine. It showed a dim green light on the charging cable and wouldnt turn on both with the new battery in and with no battery in. Is this battery a dud or is there something i missed?

That sounds about right. You might be able to compress some of the side files a bit in games, but most of it is large media files and texture resources, so it's about as uncompressable as video.

I'm trying to connect my pc to a powered USB hub in my living room, they're about 10 metres apart.

I intend to use the hub for 4 gamepads for living room gaming with friends.

I have bought, admittedly a cheap active USB cable online, however this fails to connect any gamepads.

When I use a shorter 2m long cable the gamepad can connect.

Has anyone any experience with this kind of problem and if so what do you recommend? I don't really want to keep pissing money on ever increasingly expensive cables only for it not to work.

Some kinds of connections don't work for shit past a few feet. USB is one of these. You're going to need to move something closer or use some kind of wireless standard if the controllers support it.

Since I'm using older hardware due to not really needing the performance upgrade from a full on upgrade, my system still has 1600mhz ddr3 memory.
Currently i have 2x4gb @1600mhz, I have a spare dual channel 2x4gb kit but clocked at 1333mhz. Is there a way I could overclock the 1333mhz memory to run at the 1600mhz speeds of the other memory kit in my system so they don't default to the slowest speed?

Attached: broken-ram-E49HRN.jpg (1300x905, 151K)

get this daily, what do i do?

Attached: MACHINE-CHECK-EXCEPTION-Screenshot.jpg (1063x600, 34K)

I want to make a site like socialneko.org
I've been shown by a friend how to set up a local server and use a site builder, and I am very good at html and css.

Someone else told me Jow Forums has really good instructions for this.

Which ISA offers the most freedom? Is it RISC-V?

how do repackers get the size of games down by 25-40%

By understanding the structure of the game.

yes.

Hi /sqt/, I don't understand shit about technology and that's why I come here to find a solution. My Ipad's mother is a little old and some of the apps can not be downloaded because I need a newer version of the OS. Is there any practical, normie solution to this?

Thanks in advance

Attached: 1550515672083.jpg (460x350, 19K)

I post again, which program can I use in Windows and Linux/GNU to add network drives as "virtual drives"? I don't want any sync folders on my actual drive, I want them to appear as extra drives in the OS.

>Ipad's mother
>normie solution to this
Yes, in fact, there is. When you buy a normalfag product, the only solution to your problems is also a normalfag one. In this case, the only way to fix your issue is to buy a new ipad.
Perhaps you can jailbreak it to update it to newer iOS versions or skip the version requirement that apps have, but I'm not familiar with applel shit so you should look that up yourself.

One quick search would answer this, as this is builtin in most OS's today, and has been for decades.

Is this pc: pcpartpicker.com/list/c3TwFt
and this monitor: bestbuy.com/site/dell-se2717hr-27-ips-led-fhd-freesync-monitor-piano-black/5996200.p?skuId=5996200&ref=212&loc=1&extStoreId=422&ref=212&loc=1&ds_rl=1260666&ds_rl=1266837&ds_rl=1266837&gclid=EAIaIQobChMInqDa4cLG4AIViFYNCh2Phw7WEAQYASABEgLkCfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

good together?

I need to know what Jow Forums uses to get the true patrician experience

So, I've got an issue with my desktop and my laptop: Some sites will load fine, but others will either fail to load an asset or two and get into a never ending loading loop, or outright not load.

Rebooting either machine will fix it for a short time, but then it will degrade again.

Purging cookies, changing my DNS server, and flushing the DNS cache has had no effect so far.

Domains that refuse to load include imgur, gstatic, and several cdns.

Any idea what's going on and how to fix it outside of simply changing browsers?

Did anyone else have their discrete outputs royally by the last Windows update? Working on an asus g20 here, hoping that a system restore solves the issue (and hoping that the problem isn't with tge card itself).

Computer isn't the problem. You can do 24" for a 1080p, 25 max. 27 is gonna look like shit on a monitor. They shouldn't even make those things.

I would like to add that I'm not sure if it degrades by itself or visiting a certain site is what triggers the breakage. Cause right now the only 3 sites and their subdomains that I've connected to so far are Jow Forums, google (including gmail and captcha), and plebbit, and I can still access captcha.

does using a different browser have the same problem?

Using Iridium, not that I can tell but I haven't done the full rounds so to speak.

What I dont get is that it works for a short time after rebooting, and this, whatever it is, triggered on both the laptop and the desktop at the same time. The only real commonality between the two is that I'm using an old version of firefox, and it was working just fine before.

Tomorrow night I'll try using my steam link for input only to confirm if virutalhere will support 3 controllers (i saw that virtual here was a paid extra on the steam store so doubtful)

If it's 10, you only got what was coming to you.

So a long time ago, I activated an installation of W10 Pro with the MS Toolkit it talks about in the pastebin. Problem is, it's apparently some Russian distribution variant that's about 6 months behind on feature updates and anything DX12 flat-out doesn't work. Is it worth trying out the toolkit again to get a better version or just swallow my pride and buy a legit key?

Right, it just decayed again in firefox, I cant access captcha now.

>ome Russian distribution variant that's about 6 months behind on feature updates and anything DX12 flat-out doesn't work
that sounds extremely concerning user. Sounds like some russian modified iso that you have installed.
Here's what I'd recommend. Make an account on the mydigitallife forums, grab the enterprise ltsc 2019 iso, and then look for the KMS_VL_ALL script and use that to activate it instead of ms toolkit.

Hi Anons. I'm trying out Qt Creator with CMake for my (non-Qt) project.

When I use the button in the bottom left to change my build configuration from release to debug, the configuration changes as expected but the CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE variable doesn't (it's probably read from the CMake cache?). So effectively I change the build type but the same argument is passed to cmake.

When I open project mode I see the changed build type variable in italics (see pic related) and the tool-tip says "No help, variable specified on command line. Current CMake: Release." I then have to click the "Apply configuration changes" button twice to set it to Debug which renders the Button in the bottom left pretty much useless.

How do I do this the right way?

Attached: Screenshot_20190219_015734.png (875x617, 53K)

Does this actually work?
youtube.com/watch?v=74agkgZdzkI

I'm looking for a way to put the current outside temperature in Windows 7's system tray. Just a simple number. Recomendations

Attached: 1531014794279.png (2040x1359, 380K)

What kind of external hard drives are fast and powerful enough to be able to play games on them?

And another question: The configuration in pic seems stupid. Is this the right way to do it?

Attached: Screenshot_20190219_021944.png (302x59, 9K)

Ah shit, it might be a plugin causing the issue. I disabled downthemall on the laptop and the issue seemingly went away.

We'll have to see.

any recommendations for a similar one under 200?

I didn’t want to start a separate thread for this, and I’m sorry for being so meta, but I can’t find the series of images where the guy on Jow Forums posts a drawing of the image of the guy with all of the apple products and beats headphones, looking for the source image, and then someone responds with aforementioned source image, conplimenting the OP’s recollection of the image
i was hoping someone could post the images im referring to, here is my own drawing of them in case it’s not immediately obvious what image I’m talking about

Attached: E08F5A94-D25F-415A-8E83-6B4916FCE757.jpg (1536x2050, 169K)

I have an old laptop that is collecting dust in a closet and is simply missing a hard drive since the original one died some years ago. Is it a good idea to buy an SSD to turn it into a home server? I have less than 100GB worth of data, so I don't really think I need anything special and I'd rather get something out of the laptop until it's beyond usable at all anymore. After that I guess I'd just buy a NAS or a miniITX machine.

ya, you can pick up like a 250GB ssd for like twenty bucks so go for it

What's with all the gay shit in the OPs? Go back to posting cute girls.

What hosted email providers do you guys use? I'm working on a webapp and need to link one up with my domain name. I don't want to deal with hosting my own server. Should I just register my domain name with godaddy and use their email solution or is there a better option?

What's the best way of checking if my GPU is dying? I installed the newest driver for my 1070 and it gave me huge issues, so after shitloads of rollbacks and reinstallations I'm back on the driver I was using before, but now I have horrible audio crackling and various other GPU-related issues like flickering. I'm not sure whether this is a hardware problem or not and I don't know how to check to resolve it. I can give a full storytime if anyone would like me to explain the background as to why shit's so fucked.

What do you mean? Like, storing the vidya on the drives and playing off of them? In my experience, USB hard drives can be pretty slow. I had to run VMs off one and it sucked.
If you have to do it, get a 7200RPM drive at the very least. Or you could do the sensible thing and get an SSD. Although once again, them being external will probably make things less performant than internal, but that's just my experience.
boys > girls

Only reason I asked cause my hard drive was filling up but I know for like PS4 and Xbox they have those external hard drives to play games on wasn't sure if you can do it with PC

Well if this is a desktop, you could certainly look into adding another internal HDD or SSD.

Nice. Do you think underclocking and undervolting will make it last longer, at least when it comes to the fans and stuff like that?

You can, but unless you get a good adapter it won't be up to par with internal storage. Get an SSD for best performance

How the fuck do I get visual studio code to compile C++ code? If I download Mingw as the compiler, how can I tell VS Code to use it? I can't figure this shit out

Thinking of getting a used laptop. Are the vulnerabilities for skylake/kaby lake bad enough to just stick with broadwell? I'm getting it for browsing, light gaming, and programming on Linux mainly.

I'm looking for a good Office 2016 torrent.

What do I put in the 'custom CSS' box to get the background+text colors I want? Thank you for the spoon feeding

Appreciate it. Any SSD you recommend? I'm not familiar with them

I'm a programming beginner; why is Java so hated and why should I avoid it like everyone else does?

Samsungs are pretty universally recommended. Not sure about other brands.

You're a programming beginner, don't avoid it, that's who it's good for.

It's fucking impossible to copy video URLs these days because of these retarded web devs that want everything to be an app
What's a quick simple way to just grab the URL for whatever mp4 is being played? I'm not even talking about DRM content like Netflix, I mean random shit from Twitter and Tumblr or wherever

How horrible is to work as a sysadmin?

Posting Quads

Why does HWInfo show ram speeds at 1200MHz when Bios shows 2400?

Attached: hwinfo.png (646x573, 70K)

Learn what DDR stands for

Your processor is fucked mate. Search "Machine Check Exception" for more info.

Attached: 1531542817057.jpg (600x1025, 64K)

because 1200MHz = 2400MT/s
DDR3-2400 isn't actually 2400MHz, it's "equivalent to" 2400MHz, when compared to DDR's predecessor, the reason is that DDR can make two data transfers per clock cycle, hence "Double Data Rate", and also hence 2400 megatransfers for 1200 megahertz ("megacycles")

Samsung or Intel. The 860 Evo line is reliable and you get a 5 year warranty. I bought mine (512 gigs) for like 70 bucks. It's like a whole other world man

Whenever I run the network connection test in the Xbox app on Windows 10 I always have 1-2% packet loss. I've tested for packet loss many times using the command prompt but the result is always 0%

I'm not very knowledgeable about this stuff though. Is it possible the problem is on Microsoft's end?

I have a shitload of data on my FreeNAS server I need to move off it to rebuild the drive arrays to a larger capacity, I need to copy it somewhere but I don't want to have to buy a high capacity drive just for that purpose then not have a use for it or returning it.

Attached: 1550160188521.jpg (639x480, 156K)

I've heard of upping the voltage for all DIMMs but not for just 1. That sounds like it won't work.

>Also I've got 32GB of 1600 and an E1230v3 and I see no reason to upgrade either.

windows

>net use Z: \\hostname\sharename

linux

>mount -t mounttype //hostname/share ./mountlocation

is right

I'm changing over to a brand new SSD and I was going to install W10 on it. I currently have a legit (at least I think it's legit copy) of W7 and I found it's key in the control panel.

According to the pastebin in the op:
>You may still be able to get a Windows 10 license by entering a legit Windows 7/8.1 key during install, if they have not yet patched that part of the original upgrade system.

So I should be ok to input my current W7 key (does it have a limit on uses/installs?) when installing W10 on a new SSD?

Attached: 1522129631958.png (522x399, 35K)

just remember data you give a shit about exists in 2 places. So at least RAID1 or SSD + USB key backup or something.

for pc you can get an eSATA card for like 10$

visual studio comes with a compiler. I think you can swap compilers but I've never done it. When I want mingw I use codeblocks.

why do you want to use mingw and not the built in compiler? maybe there's a better way?

can anyone recommend me a decent, cheap mic? looking for < $25-30

For buying a laptop should I go with 8gb or 16gb?

depends how thick your tinfoil is. for 99% of people skylake is fine but underwhelming upgrade, don't pay extra for kaby meme

w3.org/TR/html401/present/styles.html

put the .css file in the same folder as the html then throw a reference to the .css in the header section

This paragraph should have special green text.

body {
background-color: #fefbd8;
}

h1 {
background-color: #80ced6;
}

div {
background-color: #d5f4e6;
}

span {
background-color: #f18973;
}

if you're into it it's an all consuming jobby. If you're not into it you pretend to keep up for a few years and then burn out / change jobs

full duplex ethernet basically negates packetloss. that usually leaves either the open internet (which is oddly reliable) or congested wifi as the issue. if you have any wifi in your setup get rid of it and see if you get same result.

Also if you live with people using high bandwidth crap like streaming 4k video or you have shift internet you likely want QoS or something set to prioritize your traffic over theirs.

Otherwise you live with it.

quantify shitload?

Thanks much, user. My idiot brain can now comprehend.

Attached: 1546829372140.gif (262x323, 1.34M)

10TB

appreciate it guys

This, or check if your MB already has eSATA ports. It really is a significant improvement.

HOW DO I TURN THIS STUPID SEARCH SUGGEST IN FIREFOX 65 I'VE DISABLED LITERALLY EVERYTHING

Attached: 1537361361019.png (362x57, 2K)

any chance of rebuilding 1 disk at a time?

create new raid-z, fill, transfer 1 disk, re-balance, remove 1 disk from old group, transfer 1 disk, etc.

like walking zip files between computers with 2 1.44MB floppies only more complex

Is there an example of a good vimrc file so I can copy it.

There are a few cell phones connected via wifi. I'm using a wired connection.

I actually think the Xbox app itself is just messed up. I just ran the test and the internet just stopped working entirely until I chose the option to "fix it" in the app. Next test said 10% packet loss. Then the next said 1%.

it's literally what you typed so it's not a suggestion

How do you replace the HID-compliant mouse in the Device Manager with the actual mouse profile itself? it shows 2 HID-compliant mice, I can uninstall one, but the other remains, why is up with this? My PC is just fucking up my mouse and I really don't get how to get my mouse to work properly.

In C: Why the won't *Password change?

*Password = 12345678;
printf("Execute change password.\n");
printf("Enter new password: ");
scanf(" %d"), &pass;
*Password = (*Password * 0 + pass);
printf("\nNew password is: '%d \n", *Password);
I tried having the scanf be
scanf(" %d), &Password;
but both just change password to a 1 or a 0 or doesn't change it at all.

show Password declaration